Train Derailment in Seattle Area

Shows why we need more investment in our infrastructure

Our rail infrastructure is among the worst in the free world

But it doesn't matter because a long-distance passenger rail service will NEVER make money in America. Our population density is too low and the physical distances are so great, the airline industry has a massive hegemony on commercial, interstate travel that railroads couldn't even begin to touch.

I was on Amtrak a few years ago and it was only slightly cheaper than flying. I call Amtrak the "rolling hippo wagon" because it caters to morbidly obese human-hippo passengers who can't fit into narrow airplane seats. Amtrak's coach seats have twice the space and legroom of airplanes, so it's good for people who are "an island unto themselves." But nobody else.

Anything that saves all the frickin' hassle of airports (and airport shuttles/cabs, and TSA, and lost luggage etc) is a positive. A train goes from downtown to downtown. Or little Podunk in between. Plane can't do that.

many still believe it was a reindeer
`
A magical reindeer that can fly.
Don't really big pigs fly?

"
The pig was traveling with two unidentified women, one in her 30s, the other a senior citizen. An internal US Airways incident report said the owners claimed they had a doctor’s note that allowed them to fly with the animal.

"US Airways and Federal Aviation Administration rules allow passengers to fly with service animals.

“According to [the] Philadelphia agent who talked to passenger over phone … passenger described pig as being 13 pounds, so based on this info, authorization was given,” the report stated. Passengers on the flight told the Daily News the pig actually weighed several hundred pounds.

Pig Goes Wild

The pig, which spent the flight in the first row of first class, went ape when the aircraft taxied into Seattle, according to the report.

It reportedly ran loose through the aircraft, squealing loudly, and even tried to enter the cockpit.

“Many people on board the aircraft were quite upset that there was a large uncontrollable pig on board, especially those in the first-class cabin,” the incident report stated.

The pig made it off the plane but continued to squeal in the Seattle airport."

Unruly Pig Flies First Class

Where was Bode that day???

It was a brand new rail line.

No it wasn't. It was new for passenger trains. It had already been in use for freight.

Actually no. You're both wrong. The tracks themselves had recently been upgraded, but had been there and in use for many years and was frequently used by Amtrak

It was it's first day in travel.

An Amtrak train derailed and fell off a bridge over Interstate 5 near Mounts Road between Lakewood and Olympia.

Watch Live: Train derailment in Seattle area

[QUOTEAmtrak train 501 was traveling southbound from Seattle when it derailed along Interstate 5. "Injuries and casualties were reported," Pierce County Sheriff's Office said, though it's unclear how many people that included. ]

Amtrak train derails in Washington state onto Interstate 5; injuries reported[/QUOTE]
Privatization of passenger services is needed. Horrible tragedy.

:argue: From what I am hearing, it flew off the tracks at a very high rate of speed. Hmm, what was the driver doing? This does not look good. Real Sad. And those angry loony libs better not say anything!
:eusa_whistle:
It was a high speed Amtrack train on newly refurbished tracks that are part of a new route. Have not heard anything about the cause, probably won't be known for some time.

No it wasn't. It was new for passenger trains. It had already been in use for freight.

Actually no. You're both wrong. The tracks themselves had recently been upgraded, but had been there and in use for many years and was frequently used by Amtrak

that's what I just said. I don't think "line" means "tracks". I think it means "route". I took his post to mean entirely new railway bed, everything. Which we both know it isn't.

I saw something about an obstruction on the track, but it wasn't mentioned again.

:argue: From what I am hearing, it flew off the tracks at a very high rate of speed. Hmm, what was the driver doing? This does not look good. Real Sad. And those angry loony libs better not say anything!
It was a high speed Amtrack train on newly refurbished tracks that are part of a new route. Have not heard anything about the cause, probably won't be known for some time.
W
Well it does seem like some evil person placed something on the tracks

I don't think "line" means "tracks". I think it means "route". I took his post to mean entirely new railway bed, everything. Which we both know it isn't.
On the news, they said it was a new route with refurbished tracks. In fact, I think today was the first run.

Actually this was a false flag event in order to create a talking point for a huge infrastructure bill that will be contracted out to friends of those in the White House and Congress.
Naw..

Trump did it.
CNN will blame him. Pelosi and Schumer will too.
Pelosi will claim that a small UFO made a pit stop on the tracks.then the train crashed into it.and one of the dead aliens is related to her

Actually this was a false flag event in order to create a talking point for a huge infrastructure bill that will be contracted out to friends of those in the White House and Congress.
Naw..

Trump did it.
CNN will blame him. Pelosi and Schumer will too.
I still think Godzilla was involved

But it doesn't matter because a long-distance passenger rail service will NEVER make money in America. Our population density is too low and the physical distances are so great, the airline industry has a massive hegemony on commercial, interstate travel that railroads couldn't even begin to touch.

I was on Amtrak a few years ago and it was only slightly cheaper than flying. I call Amtrak the "rolling hippo wagon" because it caters to morbidly obese human-hippo passengers who can't fit into narrow airplane seats. Amtrak's coach seats have twice the space and legroom of airplanes, so it's good for people who are "an island unto themselves." But nobody else.

Anything that saves all the frickin' hassle of airports (and airport shuttles/cabs, and TSA, and lost luggage etc) is a positive. A train goes from downtown to downtown. Or little Podunk in between. Plane can't do that.

I'm not talking about commuter train travel within a certain local area, which DOES make money. I'm saying that long-distance, interstate train travel is completely dwarfed by the airline industry and will never make money. Amtrak has not made one penny of profit since it started in the early '70s. And yes, there is plenty of small, propeller airplane travel from one podunk town airport to another. There are so many thousands of commercial airline flights in this country every day compared to the handful of Amtrak trains. There's no comparison between commercial aviation and commercial train travel.

that's what I just said. I don't think "line" means "tracks". I think it means "route". I took his post to mean entirely new railway bed, everything. Which we both know it isn't.

Actually your post that I had quoted only said No it wasn't. It was new for passenger trains. It had already been in use for freight . I was pointing out that passenger trains had been using the tracks all along, even before the upgrades

I agree & is how I had taken the other comment as being brand new everything, but it wasn't

Forum List

Back