Train Derailment in Seattle Area

My wife just heard a report saying they had already tested the train at 80 mph.

That curve had a speed limit of 35 mph. The automatic controls were not functioning, for whatever reason.

Yep! I heard the corrected information later, but I heard it with my own ears that the limit was 80 mph. Somebody screwed up the info.

Obammy strikes again: stimulus worked!

"What the accident shows is why the federal government should get out of the infrastructure business. As Mayor Anderson said, this project was unnecessary, and it was only done because President Obama wanted to spend billions of federal dollars on ideologically driven high-speed rail projects and WSDOT had a shovel-ready project (despite not being high-speed rail) on which to spend some of those dollars."

Since so few passengers, the plan was for all over 200lbs to sit on the "inside" of the curve with carry-on and service dogs. To gain 5 min on the trip so Obama got a hi-speed win. They had too many over 300lbs not willing to move across before the curve. Now they are sorry they did not obey.

"What the accident shows is why the federal government should get out of the infrastructure business. As Mayor Anderson said, this project was unnecessary, and it was only done because President Obama wanted to spend billions of federal dollars on ideologically driven high-speed rail projects and WSDOT had a shovel-ready project (despite not being high-speed rail) on which to spend some of those dollars."

Since so few passengers, the plan was for all over 200lbs to sit on the "inside" of the curve with carry-on and service dogs. To gain 5 min on the trip so Obama got a hi-speed win. They had too many over 300lbs not willing to move across before the curve. Now they are sorry they did not obey.

What exactly does an engineer doing 80 in a 30 zone have to do with "O'bama"?

What exactly does an engineer doing 80 in a 30 zone have to do with "O'bama"?

If you go 79mph you don't qualify for Obammy stimulus dollarsi. They pushed the poor ENG too fast on her first day? I guess the one doing the test runs was out on gender re-assignment surgery? Or they put the luggage in the wrong compartment?

Thank God only 3 out of 77 passengers were killed. So far the NTSB determined the train was doing 80 mph in a 30 mph zone. Bon-Voyage party?

Shows why we need more investment in our infrastructure

Our rail infrastructure is among the worst in the free world
We just had 8 years of liberal taking care of it. How many billions did Obama set aside for taking care of infrustructore?
Republicans have blocked investment in rail transportation for decades
So have Democrats:

Amtrak train was speeding significantly before crash - CNN

Snip:

Yet Positive Train Control -- technology that automatically slows down and stops a speeding train -- wasn't activated, much to the dismay of the NTSB official.

"We have recommended PTC for decades," Dinh-Zarr told CNN on Tuesday.

"Unfortunately the deadline was moved farther into the future, and every year that we wait to implement PTC to its fullest extent means that more people will be killed and injured."

With GPS so pervasive, it would seem easy to program each route with allowable speeds and maps

No reason our rail lines shouldn't have adopted it decades ago
Democrats in Washington are too busy coddling illegals to care about transportation.
Repugs run everything including the agenda. They are too busy enriching themselves and their sponsors to worry about transportation and infrastructure.

That was a sad accident. I just feel blessed that Hillary didn't win, because it would be high-speed rails and public transportation for everyone.

Our last Democrat governor in this state wanted a high-speed rail between Chicago, Madison, and Milwaukee. That would have greatly increased the drug flow and criminals coning here from Chicago. But it was never built, thank God.

What I find reprehensible about the whole thing is that this was a BRAND NEW LINE specifically set up for high speed trains, but they had not yet activated the safety PTC system.

If the PTC system wasn't in operation yet, why did they start sending trains down the track?

By the way, this is damn near a duplicate of the crash in NJ that happened for the same reasons. He was doing 70 in a 30 zone when that train derailed.

What I find reprehensible about the whole thing is that this was a BRAND NEW LINE specifically set up for high speed trains, but they had not yet activated the safety PTC system.

If the PTC system wasn't in operation yet, why did they start sending trains down the track?

By the way, this is damn near a duplicate of the crash in NJ that happened for the same reasons. He was doing 70 in a 30 zone when that train derailed.

I will hazard a guess here: It wasn't the train's fault. And happening where it did, the train operator was hired on the basis of quotas, as opposed to abilities.

I will hazard a guess here: It wasn't the train's fault. And happening where it did, the train operator was hired on the basis of quotas, as opposed to abilities.

Actually, part of it was. The PTC system was supposed to be operational on all passenger trains by 2015, but because Amtrak squealed about it, it was extended to the end of 2018. Like I said, this line was specifically set up for high speed rail.

And yeah, I have heard several former train workers say that the training for that job is a lot less than what it used to be. Dunno if it was quotas or not, but they HAVE cut back on the training.

I understand that in the event of a plane crash the NTSB makes every effort to interview any surviving crew member as soon as possible but in this case, according the the news media, the NTSB will interview the train crew tomorrow or the next day. Is it possible that the labor unions are blocking the NTSB from doing it's job?

That was a sad accident. I just feel blessed that Hillary didn't win, because it would be high-speed rails and public transportation for everyone.

Our last Democrat governor in this state wanted a high-speed rail between Chicago, Madison, and Milwaukee. That would have greatly increased the drug flow and criminals coning here from Chicago. But it was never built, thank God.

Of course, because drug flow people have no idea how to transport if they can't take a train. They just stand around and scratch they head and nothing goes anywhere.

Thank God only 3 out of 77 passengers were killed. So far the NTSB determined the train was doing 80 mph in a 30 mph zone. Bon-Voyage party?

I didn't count cars, but only 77 passengers? Ridiculous.

It's because they were running "dignitaries", officials and press to splash the new service. I got the impression it wasn't a regular scheduled commercial passenger list yet.

Forum List

Back