🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump Is Eliminating VA Pensions - Whaaat ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
This sounds like something Obama would do. It is hard to comprehend. After all the talk about helping and protecting the veterans, we're going to get shafted like this ? Unreal. Hopefully, this is just another one of Trump's deal making MOs >> start high, work your way down to what you really want to do.

For now, I'm looking at it on its face value, and I don't like it one bit. I get $861/month for Social Security. I get another $267 from my VA pension. This is a total of a measly $1128/month. And I'm supposed to sit back and say OK to reducing that to $861/month, for my total income ?

For the first time, my support of Trump in is major jeopardy. I might even discard my Republican registration, and go back to being an Independent. Yikes. Trump better reconsider this, big time.

Trump's big VA budget request comes with proposed trims to vets benefits

This sounds like something Obama would do. It is hard to comprehend. After all the talk about helping and protecting the veterans, we're going to get shafted like this ? Unreal. Hopefully, this is just another one of Trump's deal making MOs >> start high, work your way down to what you really want to do.

For now, I'm looking at it on its face value, and I don't like it one bit. I get $861/month for Social Security. I get another $267 from my VA pension. This is a total of a measly $1128/month. And I'm supposed to sit back and say OK to reducing that to $861/month, for my total income ?

For the first time, my support of Trump in is major jeopardy. I might even discard my Republican registration, and go back to being an Independent. Yikes. Trump better reconsider this, big time.

Where in the article does it indicate that Trump is proposing to "Eliminate VA Pensions"?

All I see are cuts to in the Unemployability program after retirement, rounding COLA increases to the nearest dollar and capping GI Bill payouts to flight schools, the rest of it is INCREASES in VA funding.

Where in the article does it indicate that Trump is proposing to "Eliminate VA Pensions"?

All I see are cuts to in the Unemployability program after retirement, rounding COLA increases to the nearest dollar and capping GI Bill payouts to flight schools, the rest of it is INCREASES in VA funding.

"Trump has proposed stopping those payouts once veterans are eligible for Social Security retirement benefits, arguing the practice now amounts to “the duplication of benefits.” It would impact more than 225,000 veterans receiving the payouts today."

That idea has already been dismissed by the Trump administration according to an interview with them yesterday during the ball game

What you are calling "Unemployability program after retirement" is my VA pension.

It would eliminate payments to vets - who have service connected injuries and who cannot work due to them even if they aren't deemed 100% disabled - once they reach soc sec eligibility. This sucks mightily for two reasons. First, note the increase in vets getting this since 2000. 3X Those are the guys who came back from Iraq. I think we can afford their disability payments. Second, vets do get low pay because they're supposed to get better healthcare, educ asst, etc. But they don't pay in to Soc Sec enough to get the max benefit.

I'm not doing politics on this thread. The program can't cost that much. Cutting it sucks.

From the link:
Under current policies, the Individual Unemployability program allows VA to award payouts at the 100-percent disabled rate to veterans who cannot find work due to service-connected injuries, even if they are not deemed 100-percent disabled. The number of program recipients has tripled since 2000, reaching almost 339,000 in fiscal 2016.

It looks like the pension benefits are certainly not being cut. What's being cut are unemployability pension benefits for injuries that are not service connected.

Read it yourself.

What you are calling "Unemployability program after retirement" is my VA pension.
Are you 100% disabled? Is your disability related to service connected injuries? If so, you have nothing to worry about.

"Under current policies, the Individual Unemployability program allows VA to award payouts at the 100-percent disabled rate to veterans who cannot find work due to service-connected injuries, even if they are not deemed 100-percent disabled. The number of program recipients has tripled since 2000, reaching almost 339,000 in fiscal 2016."

It would eliminate payments to vets, who have service connected injuries and who cannot work due to them even if they aren't deemed 100% disabled, once they reach soc sec eligibility. This sucks mightily for two reasons. First, not the increase in vets getting this since 2000. 3X Those are the guys who came back for Iraq. I think we can afford their disability payments. Second, vets do get low pay because they're supposed to get better healthcare, educ asst, etc. But they don't pay in to Soc Sec enough to get the max benefit.

I'm not doing politics on this thread. The program can't cost that much. Cutting it sucks.

From the link:
Under current policies, the Individual Unemployability program allows VA to award payouts at the 100-percent disabled rate to veterans who cannot find work due to service-connected injuries, even if they are not deemed 100-percent disabled. The number of program recipients has tripled since 2000, reaching almost 339,000 in fiscal 2016.
I see nothing about eliminating disability payments. I only see the pensions going down. Where do you see something about cutting the disability. ?

"The most dramatic of those is an end to Individual Unemployability benefit payments to retirement-age veterans, a move expected to save $3.2 billion next year alone and $41 billion over the next decade."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back