🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump Is Eliminating VA Pensions - Whaaat ?

This sounds like something Obama would do. It is hard to comprehend. After all the talk about helping and protecting the veterans, we're going to get shafted like this ? Unreal. Hopefully, this is just another one of Trump's deal making MOs >> start high, work your way down to what you really want to do.

For now, I'm looking at it on its face value, and I don't like it one bit. I get $861/month for Social Security. I get another $267 from my VA pension. This is a total of a measly $1128/month. And I'm supposed to sit back and say OK to reducing that to $861/month, for my total income ?

For the first time, my support of Trump in is major jeopardy. I might even discard my Republican registration, and go back to being an Independent. Yikes. Trump better reconsider this, big time.

Trump's big VA budget request comes with proposed trims to vets benefits

This is what happens when the money runs out. Are you surprised? You shouldn't be. Not very smart to blame politician for a belief in fairy-tale.

Anyway, I have no idea if this is actually true or on the specifics. But seriously, does everyone actually expect to get paid when the unfounded liabilities are at over 120 trillion? That's some hard core fantasy right there... should have voted better 50+ years ago. However, my assumption is that this change only concerns new people and that nothing will change for you.

Last edited:
This sounds like something Obama would do. It is hard to comprehend. After all the talk about helping and protecting the veterans, we're going to get shafted like this ? Unreal. Hopefully, this is just another one of Trump's deal making MOs >> start high, work your way down to what you really want to do.

For now, I'm looking at it on its face value, and I don't like it one bit. I get $861/month for Social Security. I get another $267 from my VA pension. This is a total of a measly $1128/month. And I'm supposed to sit back and say OK to reducing that to $861/month, for my total income ?

For the first time, my support of Trump in is major jeopardy. I might even discard my Republican registration, and go back to being an Independent. Yikes. Trump better reconsider this, big time.

There is a huge difference from ELIMINATING and trimming.

Trump's big VA budget request comes with proposed trims to veterans benefits
WASHINGTON — The White House’s proposed $186.5 billion budget for Department of Veterans Affairs operations next year includes more than $13 billion for medical care outside VA and $3.6 billion in savings from benefits trims.

The proposal, officially released Tuesday and now facing months of scrutiny on Capitol Hill, represents another sizable boost for the department, which over the last decade has seen annual increases while other government agencies have faced funding reductions.

President Trump’s plan calls for a $4.4 billion increase in discretionary funding for the department, roughly a 6 percent increase from fiscal 2017 levels. The $82 billion total discretionary request is nearly twice as large as the department’s entire budget in fiscal 2001, before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Officials said the VA spending request reflects that “veterans’ access to timely, high quality health care is one of this administration’s highest priorities.” But they also promised their focus is on “providing veterans with the most efficient and effective care and benefits,” and proposes several trade offs to pay for program expansions.

The most dramatic of those is an end to Individual Unemployability benefit payments to retirement-age veterans, a move expected to save $3.2 billion next year alone and $41 billion over the next decade.

It would eliminate payments to vets, who have service connected injuries and who cannot work due to them even if they aren't deemed 100% disabled, once they reach soc sec eligibility. This sucks mightily for two reasons. First, not the increase in vets getting this since 2000. 3X Those are the guys who came back for Iraq. I think we can afford their disability payments. Second, vets do get low pay because they're supposed to get better healthcare, educ asst, etc. But they don't pay in to Soc Sec enough to get the max benefit.

I'm not doing politics on this thread. The program can't cost that much. Cutting it sucks.

From the link:
Under current policies, the Individual Unemployability program allows VA to award payouts at the 100-percent disabled rate to veterans who cannot find work due to service-connected injuries, even if they are not deemed 100-percent disabled. The number of program recipients has tripled since 2000, reaching almost 339,000 in fiscal 2016.
I see nothing about eliminating disability payments. I only see the pensions going down. Where do you see something about cutting the disability. ?

I think the proposal is to cut vet pensions by rounding down COLAs.

I also understood your link to say Trump was proposing cutting VA unemployment/disability benefits. The VA can pay out full disability payments to an unemployed vet even if the vet is not rated at 100% disability, IF he/she is unemployed because of the disability. I don't think that's that uncommon an result of Iraq and Afghan. Trump proposes ending those disability payments once a person hits soc. sec. And, btw, that sucks really big league because most of us who physically can hang on to 70 will do so, meaning people with more physically demanding jobs get less Soc Sec.

I'm ok with limiting the GI Bill tuition at $21,000.

This is what happens when the money runs out. Are you surprised? You shouldn't be. Not very smart to blame politician for a belief in fairy-tale.

Anyway, I have no idea if this is actually true or on the specifics. But seriously, does everyone actually expect to get paid when the unfounded liabilities are at over 120 trillion? That's some hard core fantasy right there... should have voted better 50+ years ago. However, my assumption is that this change only concerns new people.
1. If you're talking about the US debt, it's 20 Trillion, not 120 :rolleyes: And much of that 20 Trillion is to countrieds that have been ripping us off in a variety of ways, so how valid is even that number, frankly. ?

2. Your "assumption"is based on WHAT ?

WASHINGTON — The White House’s proposed $186.5 billion budget for Department of Veterans Affairs operations next year includes more than $13 billion for medical care outside VA and $3.6 billion in savings from benefits trims.

The proposal, officially released Tuesday and now facing months of scrutiny on Capitol Hill, represents another sizable boost for the department, which over the last decade has seen annual increases while other government agencies have faced funding reductions.

President Trump’s plan calls for a $4.4 billion increase in discretionary funding for the department, roughly a 6 percent increase from fiscal 2017 levels. The $82 billion total discretionary request is nearly twice as large as the department’s entire budget in fiscal 2001, before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Officials said the VA spending request reflects that “veterans’ access to timely, high quality health care is one of this administration’s highest priorities.” But they also promised their focus is on “providing veterans with the most efficient and effective care and benefits,” and proposes several trade offs to pay for program expansions.

The most dramatic of those is an end to Individual Unemployability benefit payments to retirement-age veterans, a move expected to save $3.2 billion next year alone and $41 billion over the next decade.
From your post >> "...an end to Individual Unemployability benefit payments to retirement-age veterans."

End = elimination.

Anyway, I have no idea if this is actually true or on the specifics. But seriously, does everyone actually expect to get paid when the unfounded liabilities are at over 120 trillion? That's some hard core fantasy right there... should have voted better 50+ years ago. However, my assumption is that this change only concerns new people.
1. If you're talking about the US debt, it's 20 Trillion, not 120 :rolleyes: And much of that 20 Trillion is to countrieds that have been ripping us off in a variety of ways, so how valid is even that number, frankly. ?

2. Your "assumption"is based on WHAT ?

Unfounded liabilities.

Which part of the word did you not understand?

My assumption is based on that that's how the changes are pretty much always made. If there even is a change in the first place. This seems like a misunderstanding to be honest.

From your post >> "...an end to Individual Unemployability benefit payments to retirement-age veterans." End = elimination.
And that is not an end to all pension benefits, but some regarding unemployment for retirement aged veterans.

Unfounded liabilities.

My assumption is based on that that's how the changes are pretty much always made. If there even is a change in the first place. This seems like a misunderstanding to be honest.
I see nothing to indicate that this change would affect only new people. (by that you mean those just entering retirement age ?) (65)

Are you of retirement age? Do you have any additional income? Someone once said, "Don't count on the government for anything. Seems about right. We have to get the young to understand that.

Unfounded liabilities.

I see nothing to indicate that this change would affect only new people. (by that you mean those just entering retirement age ?) (65)

Dude, you read a news article by a partisan site that for certain is going to overstate all reductions and sweep increases under the rug. Where are the actual facts?

I am 99.9% certain that you won't lose your benefits, so calm down now. And stop being so entitled. You know your offspring has to pay for all of this and is projected to get nothing like it in return.

And that is not an end to all pension benefits, but some regarding unemployment for retirement aged veterans.
I'm seeing this as an end to VA pensions (ie. veterans over 65). I see nothing to discount that. However, when I get a chance, I will talk to the VA folks, and get the scoop from them as to what will happen to my pension.

Hopefully, I'll still be able to collect on my VA disability status, but that payment is less money.

I'm seeing this as an end to VA pensions (ie. veterans over 65). I see nothing to discount that. However, when I get a chance, I will talk to the VA folks, and get the scoop from them as to what will happen to my pension.

Hopefully, I'll still be able to collect on my VA disability status, but that payment is less money.

If people were actually stripped out of benefits, we wouldn't be hearing the end of it. Now a google search reveals nothing.

As stated, this is very unlikely to be even remotely correct.

Maybe as such a selfish person democrats would be the party to vote for. Basically you were voting for your own benefits paid by other people. All other considerations seem secondary to you. Nice bro...

Are you of retirement age? Do you have any additional income? Someone once said, "Don't count on the government for anything. Seems about right. We have to get the young to understand that.
1. Yes I am.

2. No I don't.

3. Easier said than done.

We tried to tell you he was a fucking liar, but you stupid Republicans ALWAYS VOTE AGAINST YOUR OWN INTERESTS.

If people were actually stripped out of benefits, we wouldn't be hearing the end of it. Now a google search reveals nothing.

As stated, this is very unlikely to be even remotely correct.

Maybe as such a selfish person democrats would be the party to vote for. Basically you were voting for your own benefits paid by other people. Nice bro...
No, I am voting for my own VA benefits paid for by ME, by my 5 years in the Army.

Forum List

Back