Trump: Let's "close up the internet"

You guys are panicking now that PC platitudes are falling apart. Adherents to the purist form of Islam are killing people on all continents, and yet Islam is a religion of peace?!

How long did you think the gullibility of people would last?

That's what worrying people about Trump as they suggest his imminent collapse. yet he keeps getting more popular

:lol:

Why are you trying to change the subject?
We both know exactly what the subject is. The cracks in the PC monolith of self-appointed ideologues presuming to b the arbitrator of morality are part-and-parcel of your link and your thread title. Don't be that disingenuous.

I'm not sure what that pile of nonsense is supposed to mean, but this thread is about Trump's suggestion that we close the internet, not whatever you're babbling about.
Stop with the sutpid laughing face.

Again:

Kind of like Hillary:

The Internet has taken center stage in both the 2016 presidential race and theObama administration’s current fight against ISIS. Democratic candidate Hillary Clintonurged tech companies to “deny online space” to terrorists. Clinton then anticipated and waved away presumed First Amendment criticisms.

“We’re going to hear all the usual complaints,” she said on Monday, “you know, freedom of speech, et cetera. But if we truly are in a war against terrorism and we are truly looking for ways to shut off their funding, shut off the flow of foreign fighters, then we’ve got to shut off their means of communicating. It’s more complicated with some of what they do on encrypted apps, and I’m well aware of that, and that requires even more thinking about how to do it.”

The OP's title was certainly selectively indignant and even more "dingbatty".

I'm no fan of Hilary, and her comments were almost as ridiculous as Trump's, but she didn't suggest that the government "close the internet".
Neither did Trump. FFS, grow up! It takes a lot more than stopping those stupid smiley faces. I don't suffer fools gladly.

We both know exactly what the subject is. The cracks in the PC monolith of self-appointed ideologues presuming to b the arbitrator of morality are part-and-parcel of your link and your thread title. Don't be that disingenuous.
Fail in changing the OP.

Trump wants to attack constitutional and legal principles. bones, 'Godwin' is not a defense to Trump's authoritarian language. The man is becoming a true danger to American freedoms.

His language will guarantee his defeat.

Why are you trying to change the subject?

I'm not sure what that pile of nonsense is supposed to mean, but this thread is about Trump's suggestion that we close the internet, not whatever you're babbling about.

Again:

Kind of like Hillary:

The Internet has taken center stage in both the 2016 presidential race and theObama administration’s current fight against ISIS. Democratic candidate Hillary Clintonurged tech companies to “deny online space” to terrorists. Clinton then anticipated and waved away presumed First Amendment criticisms.

“We’re going to hear all the usual complaints,” she said on Monday, “you know, freedom of speech, et cetera. But if we truly are in a war against terrorism and we are truly looking for ways to shut off their funding, shut off the flow of foreign fighters, then we’ve got to shut off their means of communicating. It’s more complicated with some of what they do on encrypted apps, and I’m well aware of that, and that requires even more thinking about how to do it.”

I'm no fan of Hilary, and her comments were almost as ridiculous as Trump's, but she didn't suggest that the government "close the internet".
Neither did Trump. FFS, grow up! It takes a lot more than stopping those stupid smiley faces. I don't suffer fools gladly.

Yeah, he did. In plain English.

Again:

Kind of like Hillary:

We just had a chat about being disingenuous and selective indignation, but I see that was a waste of time.

we fool ourselves into thinking this is a free country it is not....

cmu's exist....they are called mini gitmos...and house what are considered 'political' prisoners

if that a free country? where animal rights activists can be returned to jail for blogging?

the list just goes on and on

Again:

Kind of like Hillary:

We just had a chat about being disingenuous and selective indignation, but I see that was a waste of time.

You're really not getting it. I'm not "indignant", I'm amused.

I would love to hear how you'll spin Trump comments. Please, help us out.

Again:

Kind of like Hillary:

You're really not getting it. I'm not "indignant", I'm amused.

I would love to hear how you'll spin Trump comments. Please, help us out.
Here you go:

Hillary:

Democratic candidate Hillary Clintonurged tech companies to “deny online space” to terrorists. Clinton then anticipated and waved away presumed First Amendment criticisms.

The Donald:

"We're losing a lot of people because of the internet," Trump said. "We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening.

“We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that internet up in some ways. Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people."

I hope that helped. I understand you can't bring yourself to admit you are disingenuous, but I cannot fathom how you can deny being selectively indignant.

Unbridled self-righteousness does things to people I suppose.

I hope I helped.

Access to tech companies and their products is not a constitutional right.

Anyone can say anything. No one has an obligation to listen, no one has an obligation (internet, newspaper, etc) to provide a platform.

USMB has the right, and does, to restrict and prohibit speech.

Why? Because it is a private business.

Having said that, the government does not have the right to censor freedom of speech or access to platforms except in times of declared war.

Trump said parts of the Internet. I imagine he means shutting access to terrorist recruiting sites. I don't have a problem with that but it could be a slippery slope. Who defines recruiting sites and May that definition stretch to include trump's Twitter account?

The GOP convention will be brokered, because it will not permit Trump to be the party nominee, and if he were, the Republicans would run an Independent Republican against Trump and Clinton.

The probably of a third party campaign increases.

Trump's speech yesterday guarantees a third party effort, either by Trump as and Independent or by an Independent Republican if somehow Trump becomes the GOP official nominee.

Kind of like Hitler?
Kind of like Hillary:

The Internet has taken center stage in both the 2016 presidential race and theObama administration’s current fight against ISIS. Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton urged tech companies to “deny online space” to terrorists. Clinton then anticipated and waved away presumed First Amendment criticisms.

Well, well, well. What do you have to say libbies?

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this already - if I missed it, I'll merge.

Donald Trump wants to close up the Internet

The press has to be responsible; they're not being responsible. We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet. We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people who really understand what's happening and maybe, in some ways, closing that Internet up in some ways.

Somebody will say, 'Oh, freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people, we have a lot of foolish people. We've got to maybe do something with the Internet because they're recruiting by the thousands, they're leaving our country, and then when they come back, we take them back.

I wonder who here is going to pop into this thread to defend these comments.

How many of you Trump guys are actually so fearful of ISIS to that you'd support "closing the internet" ?
[Checking to make sure this isn't in Political Satire...]

No one's 'afraid' of 'ISIS' – just like no one was 'afraid' of 'Ebola.'

It's the climate of fear and hysteria most on the right seek to contrive and propagate for some perceived partisan gain.

Talk of 'shutting down' Muslims entering the country or 'shutting down' the internet reinforces that climate of fear.

And from a political standpoint: Trump has succeeded in getting everyone talking about Trump.

Again.

You guys are panicking now that PC platitudes are falling apart. Adherents to the purist form of Islam are killing people on all continents, and yet Islam is a religion of peace?!

How long did you think the gullibility of people would last?

That's what worrying people about Trump as they suggest his imminent collapse. yet he keeps getting more popular
This fails as a red herring fallacy.

The topic is Trump and his calling for 'shutting down' the internet.

Not 'you guys.'

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this already - if I missed it, I'll merge.

The press has to be responsible; they're not being responsible. We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet. We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people who really understand what's happening and maybe, in some ways, closing that Internet up in some ways.

Somebody will say, 'Oh, freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people, we have a lot of foolish people. We've got to maybe do something with the Internet because they're recruiting by the thousands, they're leaving our country, and then when they come back, we take them back.

How many of you Trump guys are actually so fearful of ISIS to that you'd support "closing the internet" ?

Hillary said pretty much the same frickin thing.

Nothing wrong with going after Islamists using the internet for recruiting. Use the internet to help track and catch them, or prevent them from spreading on their BS on the net. Either is better than doing nothing and letting the Islamists continue to recruit and grow.

Obama's been wanting to do this since he became president, but we are the target, not ISIS or al Qaeda. He's been trying to stifle free speech.

You need to learn "Trump Speak". He's not talking about closing the internet. He's talking about watching these people who are recruiting and those they are recruiting. They've been doing this for several years. Problem is, Obama isn't watching terrorists. He's watching everyone. He's literally ignoring criminals and going after the people that he considers the real enemy.....Republicans and Middle-America.

France proposed the same thing yesterday. No more public wi-fi or personal encryption.

I ...it appears the crazier he gets, the more his supporters like it. Keep it up, Donald, you are helping the Left enormously.
It was cute (and politically useful) throughout much of the Summer and Fall, but he doesn't know when to shut his mouth, or couch his intentions in more palatable terms.

That, too, is problematic... self-control is essential, in a pressure-cooker job like President of the United States.

Forum List

Back