Trump PRAISES General Lee at OHIO Campaign Rally = WTF?

If our POTUS actually knew how to communicate effectively, and could actually utilize the English language correctly, none of the confusion would have ensued.
I said it before more than once & I will say it again: Trump either has some really shitty speech writers, or he just spews crap to see where it sticks; maybe both.
His perception of the Civil War sounds like it came from a third grade textbook

His odd speaking style has been repeatedly discussed, and being annoyed by it is certainly understandable.

BUT if that is preventing you from seeing that what he said, was, A fine, and B, historically accurate,

then that was on you.

Now that that has been explained to you, if you are still pretending to not understand, you are just being a dick.
No...he spoke as though his audience had no idea who Grant or Lee was
His comments were very simplistic and he spoke as though he was being profound.

Our President is not the sharpest crayon in the box

I respect that you find his speaking style annoying.

But that is all you've got.

Trying to pretend anything else is going on here, is just you libs reaching, and quite pathetically.

Hes gone from claiming that Trump was "praising Lee' to whining that Trump didnt speak well. Is that progress?

Sort of. At least he was able to realize that THIS particular shit was not sticking.

But he didn't admit anything, and just moved the Goal Post.

He didn't learn anything, and will be doing the same thing tomorrow. If not later today, with a different made up shit.

Lee was a great general. He kicked the filthy Yankee's asses until he ran out of supplies.

Once again Trump gets it right.
Which prolonged the war for at least 2 extra years killing thousands and starving thousands. No wonder you admire him.

Lincoln could have ended the war anytime he wanted. Why don't you bitch about him?

His odd speaking style has been repeatedly discussed, and being annoyed by it is certainly understandable.

BUT if that is preventing you from seeing that what he said, was, A fine, and B, historically accurate,

then that was on you.

Now that that has been explained to you, if you are still pretending to not understand, you are just being a dick.

Trying to pretend anything else is going on here, is just you libs reaching, and quite pathetically.
No, that is all he’s got

Trump pontificating on the Civil War shows how little he actually knows. Anyone who watched Ken Burns The Civil War would have a vastly greater understanding than our President

Trump seemed to be regurgitating what he learned in the 4th grade about the Civil War and never bothered to learn anything else

then that was on you.

No, that is all he’s got

Trump pontificating on the Civil War shows how little he actually knows. Anyone who watched Ken Burns The Civil War would have a vastly greater understanding than our President

Trump seemed to be regurgitating what he learned in the 4th grade about the Civil War and never bothered to learn anything else

Maybe or maybe not. Just because he did not go very deeply into the subject THERE, does not mean that is all he knows.

But really, are you this desperate that you have to attack him on MAYBE being weak on Civil War history?

You know what this thread, and the fake news article that spawned it, was all about.

It was not being weak on history. YOu race baiting assholes were trying to spin thin into a Confederate Sympathizer/white supremacist bullshit smear.

But it didn't fly, and now you are pretending it is something else.
Nothing wrong with having a weak knowledge of the Civil War. Many Americans don’t know much

But when you have limited knowledge of a subject and lecture others about it, you come off looking like a moron
You also come off looking like a moron when you try to claim that he was trying to lecture people about the civil war rather than that he was using the story as an example of imperfect people being able to do a great job at a given task. Keep on going though. The more the left seizes on such ridiculous stuff to complain about, the more you show people how crazy the democrats have become. #walkaway

If our POTUS actually knew how to communicate effectively, and could actually utilize the English language correctly, none of the confusion would have ensued.
I said it before more than once & I will say it again: Trump either has some really shitty speech writers, or he just spews crap to see where it sticks; maybe both.

then that was on you.

No, that is all he’s got

stylistically he sucks. That is true. It is not the perfect explanation of the topic. But you have to agree that 1} all of the previous generals Lincoln tried sucked. 2} Grant had perceived personal problems that made people have doubts . 3}Lee beat the pants off of every other general that Lincoln tried 4} grant was far better as a human being and as a general than Lee.That is what what Trump was pointing out.

Ok so he makes embarrassing speeches. I have so many problems with what he said that to list them all would take three days to list them all. But Trump said the truth of his assertions. You can't deal with it and so you damn him for a style. Style does not matter. He had a point he was trying to make, and he made it very well.

Don't damn him for style. And the substance was perfect. Lincoln's other generals didn't know what they were doing. Grant, with his baggage, knew what he was doing and he did it perfectly.

Lee was a great general. He kicked the filthy Yankee's asses until he ran out of supplies.

Which prolonged the war for at least 2 extra years killing thousands and starving thousands. No wonder you admire him.

Lincoln could have ended the war anytime he wanted. Why don't you bitch about him?

HOW!!

What are you smoking!

The south worked hard for this war. The only way he could have ended the war was by abject and total surrender

then that was on you.

No, that is all he’s got

stylistically he sucks. That is true. It is not the perfect explanation of the topic. But you have to agree that 1} all of the previous generals Lincoln tried sucked. 2} Grant had perceived personal problems that made people have doubts . 3}Lee beat the pants off of every other general that Lincoln tried 4} grant was far better as a human being and as a general than Lee.That is what what Trump was pointing out.

Ok so he makes embarrassing speeches. I have so many problems with what he said that to list them all would take three days to list them all. But Trump said the truth of his assertions. You can't deal with it and so you damn him for a style. Style does not matter. He had a point he was trying to make, and he made it very well.

Don't damn him for style. And the substance was perfect. Lincoln's other generals didn't know what they were doing. Grant, with his baggage, knew what he was doing and he did it perfectly.
But these are the same folks who whine about any small thing Obama said.....

Now when Trump by even your own admission fucks up a speech --- now its, "but he meant well....."

Why does someone who yall claim is a "tell it like it is" person always needs folks like you to explain what he really meant?

The North defeated the South -- so fortunately, they didn't need to have him fighting for them...

Yup but you can bet your ass they wish he was fighting for them.

He was a highly respected General by both the North and the South.
........................but....................he lost....

Considering the stakes my ancestors were facing at the time -- It's hard for me to opine about how great he was and to go so far as to say "wish the south had won" -- which is ultimately where these confederate circle jerk fantasies lead to.

YOu admit that you are deeply emotional about it,

but then you are comfortable making guesses about what is going in in the minds of other people on the subject, that disagree with you.

You don't see anything wrong with that?
No I am not emotional about it -- which is why I don't cry about someone not properly praising a general who fought a war against this country -- I don't insist that public memorials be erected to praise generals who fight against this country...

Whoa. So, you purposefully judge people not on the truth of their accomplishments, but based on whether you like them or not.

Well. I'm not sure what to say about that. Thanks for your honesty.
Again -- German generals accomplished a lot in WW2 -- I don't praise their accomplishments because I don't praise to what ends their accomplishments were for...

I am sure you don't praise Obama's accomplishments because you don't like him so spare me the BS

then that was on you.

No, that is all he’s got

But these are the same folks who whine about any small thing Obama said.....

Now when Trump by even your own admission fucks up a speech --- now its, "but he meant well....."

Why does someone who yall claim is a "tell it like it is" person always needs folks like you to explain what he really meant?
He is making the speech. I am not interpreting, I am repeating it for the dishonest.

I am a never Trumper. I felt his style sucked from 30 years ago. I hate hate hate that I have to defend him from the creeps who lie in this fashion.

If all that happened with his speech was that he told it badly I would be laughing with you. My objection is to the creepy way the press twisted his words in such a horribly dishonest fashion. This dishonesty will be the death of the republic if it continues

Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

WTF is Trump doing; Quaaludes, Mary Jane, both, more?

Robert E. Lee was against Slavery.
But owned slaves

I forgot the part where TRUMP said, "General Lee was a great slave owner & I want to be just like General Lee."

Considering the stakes my ancestors were facing at the time -- It's hard for me to opine about how great he was and to go so far as to say "wish the south had won" -- which is ultimately where these confederate circle jerk fantasies lead to.

but then you are comfortable making guesses about what is going in in the minds of other people on the subject, that disagree with you.

No I am not emotional about it -- which is why I don't cry about someone not properly praising a general who fought a war against this country -- I don't insist that public memorials be erected to praise generals who fight against this country...

Whoa. So, you purposefully judge people not on the truth of their accomplishments, but based on whether you like them or not.

Again -- German generals accomplished a lot in WW2 -- I don't praise their accomplishments because I don't praise to what ends their accomplishments were for...

I am sure you don't praise Obama's accomplishments because you don't like him so spare me the BS
There’s a huge difference between recognizing a Generals tactical greatness and agreeing with their cause. Sheesh how you can even try to combine those two is beyond me. Trump was telling a classic underdog story, was he supposed to lie and say Lee sucked ass as a general?

Still the left is completely silent when it comes to calling out what is clearly dishonest reporting with a clear agenda, and instead busy pretzeling their brain in knots to try to salvage something they can criticize trump on. Now it’s “you’re not allowed to give historically accurate depictions of tactically smart generals who were bad guys, that’s equivalent to agreeing with their cause.” This is absurd.

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

But owned slaves

I forgot the part where TRUMP said, "General Lee was a great slave owner & I want to be just like General Lee."

Trump is a New York Yankee by the way. Just not a stupid one like most the others.

then that was on you.

No, that is all he’s got

LMAO Trump went to a military academy you dunce. I'm sure, just like West Point, they spend a lot of time on the civil war. Tactics, leaders, wins and losses.

If you think he doesn't know the civil war you are an idiot.

Oh sure; That's why Trump got 5 million deferments for 'bone spurs.'

He was in military school to plot his way of getting out of serving in the military :21:

You have to admit that Rommel and Guderian were good at their jobs, otherwise Patton was just a loon who killed folks for no reason.

By all means make sure people understand the totality of what Lee and Rommel were defending. Whether Lee or Rommel's were worse is impossible to guess. But they were great men non the less.

Lincoln started the goddamn war for real when he sent his filthy ass thug army across the Potomac River to kill Americans and take away their arms.

Joshua was a great General, or leader of his military.

Battle after battle, Joshua stood there in the center of the front line, the battle was won, and the guy didn't even get hurt.

Joshua used DECEPTION as a military weapon as well as anyone who ever tried.

That doesn't mean Joshua was a "good guy." He was a genocidal maniac, a paranoid liar, a murderer, and a great general...

then that was on you.

No, that is all he’s got

LMAO Trump went to a military academy you dunce. I'm sure, just like West Point, they spend a lot of time on the civil war. Tactics, leaders, wins and losses.

If you think he doesn't know the civil war you are an idiot.

Oh sure; That's why Trump got 5 million deferments for 'bone spurs.'

He was in military school to plot his way of getting out of serving in the military :21:

5 million huh??

Boy are you out of your mind. He was way up there on the draft number. No way would he have been drafted.

You can keep harping on bone spurs, which do hurt by the way, if it makes you happy.

Carry on dipshit.

Lincoln started the goddamn war for real when he sent his filthy ass thug army across the Potomac River to kill Americans and take away their arms.

Let's face it.

If you incredibly dumb and lazy white southerners had not been TOO LAZY to tend your own crops... this never would've happened...

and you started it at Ft Sumter.

General Lee was fighting for The Confederacy so, he was siding with those that supported slavery.

“He was not a pro-slavery ideologue,” Eric Foner, a Civil War historian, author and professor of history at Columbia University, said of Lee. “But I think equally important is that, unlike some white southerners, he never spoke out against slavery.”

Throughout the Civil War slavery was legal and protected in the North. Abraham Lincoln ordered his generals to not molest slave owners and to return runaway slaves in Maryland, Kansas, Kentucky and Missouri *unless the master was disloyal to the Union*. Delaware and Maryland retained slavery throughout the Civil War and the Federal Government enforced the Fugitive Slave Act and returned runaway slaves to their masters.
General Lee no more sided with slavery than did George Washington, Zachary Taylor, Thomas Jefferson or James Madison...or even Abraham Lincoln.

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."
Abraham Lincoln 1st Inaugural Address

Read the whole address. Count how many times Lincoln said the slavery was protected by the Constitution. I count seven.

Lincoln was a two faced lying SOS on the issue of slavery but at least he got what he deserved, in the end.

then that was on you.

Hes gone from claiming that Trump was "praising Lee' to whining that Trump didnt speak well. Is that progress?

Trump WAS praising General Lee & Trump was also butchering the segue; typical idiot.

Forum List

Back