Trump pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates

I for one hope he succeeds. I absolutely hate - hate when UPS joins up with the postal service to deliver packages.
If it stays with UPS, you get the package on time well over 90% of the time...but if the USPS so much as touches the package it delays it by at least a couple days if not longer, and there is no guaranteed date - only "arrive on or before date".
So we have dramatically reduced online shopping because of it. If I am buying something worth several hundred dollars I want to know exactly what day it will be on my front porch.
So much for free enterprise. If you want to know when it will arrive, pay extra for better service.

Having been in advertising and marketing most of my life - I can assure you that different types of advertising work for different types of businesses. For some, direct mail works, others do better with yellow pages, radio, TV, Constant Contact email, social media - etc etc. Some of the most successful business I know don't need to advertise at all - word of mouth keeps them as busy as they want to be.

Direct mail doesn't sell me anything. I sit by my recycle bin and 90% of my mail goes right there without so much as a look.

Couldn't agree more with your first sentence. A well designed marketing strategy is best, and for some direct mail is not a part of that plan.
I also throw away most direct mail.
But, nevertheless that doesn't change the fact that direct mail has a higher hit rate than any other means of advertising overall.
As you can guess, I have also been in the advertising business for many years. Specifically on the print media side :D
Agree.....I was in marketing several years myself.....a decade or two ago

But, those statistics have to be changing....with R.O.P. not being as relevant, internet more relevant, is direct mail's response rate diminishing?

It's hard to say. What I have found forever true is lower response rates are more due to a tired/worn-out message than the deliveyr method. Overall, the response rates are still very good. I get great reviews constantly for helping businesses, especially new businesses.
I see so many start ups struggle to get traffic because they are relying on social media advertising. But just can't get past the cost of postage mentally. For those who listen, and try targeted direct mail, they can't stop showering us with praise. Just being honest.
We ran with a 4%advertising budget with vendors coop matching 4%, so a total advertising spending of 8% a year.....this was in the dept store business for just the area of Shoes, which was a leased business running within the dept store......which brought in customers with their own advertising budget, along with basic foot traffic from simply being an anchor store in a mall.

BUT when we opened a new store, we spent 10% of our estimated sales plus matching vendor coop for the first 3 months or so, then back down to 4%.....

But know, we could utilize the Dept Store's advertising dept for copywriters, layout artist etc, to produce the ads, ROP or direct mail....... for free.....

Start ups should plan a chunk of their budget, to be spent on advertising.

Exactly.
This is the one thing I am seeing in millennial's starting a business, they seem to have this strange belief in all you have to do is start a business...post it on Facebook and watch the money fall from the sky!
More than once I get this blank stare when I question about what they have figured as their customer acquisition cost. And that is the moment I know they will fail. Is business schools no longer teaching about this??

Facebook is free. You control your advertising spending by defining your market. Maybe they know more than you do.

The Toxic Orange Turd has officially become more Nixonian than Nixon himself. Wonder if he has an Enemies List?

President Trump followed through on his frequent complaint that Amazon is costing the U.S. Postal Service "many billions of dollars" by urging the postmaster general to double the rate the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon and other companies to ship their packages, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing three sources familiar with the conversations between U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and President Trump, the Post also reported that Brennan has not acceded to the president's wishes for several reasons. For one, the Postal Service has binding contracts with these companies, and a regulatory commission would have to review those contracts. But she has also reportedly told Mr. Trump that the USPS relationship with Amazon is beneficial. In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

If the rates were doubled, it would cost Amazon and private shippers billions, which would likely be passed on in the form of higher prices for shoppers.

The Post's sources said that Brennan and Mr. Trump have met on this issue several times beginning in 2017 and also had a meeting on it four months ago -- none of which appeared on Mr. Trump's public schedule.​

Trump has pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates, report says

Apparently Trumpelthinskin is not only angry about WaPo's honest coverage of his presiduncey - Bezos suggested launching him into space ... a VERY fine idea! :)

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

Waiting for the day Lying Trump doubles the cost of mailings for the Democrat Party, he'll call it The Watergate Decree. Then he'll get busy doubling the cost of parking for Democrats near the capital building.

That wouldn't be unprecedented.

It would be much like the Obama administration using the IRS to target conservative groups, eh?

Really, this bullshit again.

The Tea Party groups tried to register under a category that states it's main purpose can not be political. Who would not target any group with Tea Party in their name?

Don't blame Obama or the IRA for your ilk's stupidity.

• Thanks
Reactions: WTP
Liberals now care about big companies. Ever since Trump became President we have slipped into some kind of bizarro world of opposites. Democrats are now concerned about things that they did not give a shit about during the last administration. It would be an interesting experiment for Trump to come out to support abortion and gun confiscation just to see the reaction from the left.

Ummm ummmm...why doesn't bezos want to pay his fair share...….plus hes a modern slaver......

Apparently you failed to read the story and check out the links. USPS is making a fortune off Amazon and they offer every other large bulk shipper the same exact rate.
DOnt think it said fortune......and theres nothing wrong with making more......

In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.
Great that means it will only be a few billion in the hole.

The Toxic Orange Turd has officially become more Nixonian than Nixon himself. Wonder if he has an Enemies List?

President Trump followed through on his frequent complaint that Amazon is costing the U.S. Postal Service "many billions of dollars" by urging the postmaster general to double the rate the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon and other companies to ship their packages, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing three sources familiar with the conversations between U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and President Trump, the Post also reported that Brennan has not acceded to the president's wishes for several reasons. For one, the Postal Service has binding contracts with these companies, and a regulatory commission would have to review those contracts. But she has also reportedly told Mr. Trump that the USPS relationship with Amazon is beneficial. In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

If the rates were doubled, it would cost Amazon and private shippers billions, which would likely be passed on in the form of higher prices for shoppers.

The Post's sources said that Brennan and Mr. Trump have met on this issue several times beginning in 2017 and also had a meeting on it four months ago -- none of which appeared on Mr. Trump's public schedule.​

Trump has pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates, report says

Apparently Trumpelthinskin is not only angry about WaPo's honest coverage of his presiduncey - Bezos suggested launching him into space ... a VERY fine idea! :)

Jeff Bezos on Twitter
And, it is an impeachable offense. Trump toys with abuse of office in beef against Washington Post

Ummm ummmm...why doesn't bezos want to pay his fair share...….plus hes a modern slaver......

Apparently you failed to read the story and check out the links. USPS is making a fortune off Amazon and they offer every other large bulk shipper the same exact rate.
DOnt think it said fortune......and theres nothing wrong with making more......

In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.
Great that means it will only be a few billion in the hole.
For corrupt, impeachable practices.

Liberals now care about big companies. Ever since Trump became President we have slipped into some kind of bizarro world of opposites. Democrats are now concerned about things that they did not give a shit about during the last administration. It would be an interesting experiment for Trump to come out to support abortion and gun confiscation just to see the reaction from the left.
Caring about companies and corrupting "said company" are not one and the same.

How Nixon of him.
Part of the Articles of Impeachment against Nixon, was his usage of the government machinery to fuck over his enemies.
Kinda like using the IRS against your enemies.
And who did that, and what is your proof?
The proof was the press conference by the head of the IRS admitting that it targeted Conservative groups.

IRS admits targeting conservatives for tax scrutiny in 2012 election

Caring about companies and corrupting "said company" are not one and the same.
Riiiight. From "You didn't build that" to caring about a company getting over taxed. It's hard to keep up with Liberal flip-flops and hypocrisy

Jeff Bezos on Twitter
Trump said he would work on stopping government waste of taxpayers $ .....
U.S. Postal Service marks 11 straight years of financial loss

I’m glad we finally have a president who isn’t afraid to keep his campaign promises. :)

How Nixon of him.
Part of the Articles of Impeachment against Nixon, was his usage of the government machinery to fuck over his enemies.
Kinda like using the IRS against your enemies.
And who did that, and what is your proof?
The proof was the press conference by the head of the IRS admitting that it targeted Conservative groups.

IRS admits targeting conservatives for tax scrutiny in 2012 election
You are unbelievably, grotesquely, ignorant of the laws applying to tax exemption.
Targeting conservative groups was the job of the IRS, or targeting anyone else who abused the laws concerning tax exempt status. Do you really want to lock horns with me on this? I don't think so; 'Exclusively' vs. 'primarily': IRS law a 'disaster waiting to happen' First teach yourself the history of the law and how someone illegally changed the law back in 1959. Then, and only then, will you understand anything about "targeting conservative groups";Why the real IRS scandal happened in 1959

Couldn't agree more with your first sentence. A well designed marketing strategy is best, and for some direct mail is not a part of that plan.
I also throw away most direct mail.
But, nevertheless that doesn't change the fact that direct mail has a higher hit rate than any other means of advertising overall.
As you can guess, I have also been in the advertising business for many years. Specifically on the print media side :D
Agree.....I was in marketing several years myself.....a decade or two ago

But, those statistics have to be changing....with R.O.P. not being as relevant, internet more relevant, is direct mail's response rate diminishing?

It's hard to say. What I have found forever true is lower response rates are more due to a tired/worn-out message than the deliveyr method. Overall, the response rates are still very good. I get great reviews constantly for helping businesses, especially new businesses.
I see so many start ups struggle to get traffic because they are relying on social media advertising. But just can't get past the cost of postage mentally. For those who listen, and try targeted direct mail, they can't stop showering us with praise. Just being honest.
We ran with a 4%advertising budget with vendors coop matching 4%, so a total advertising spending of 8% a year.....this was in the dept store business for just the area of Shoes, which was a leased business running within the dept store......which brought in customers with their own advertising budget, along with basic foot traffic from simply being an anchor store in a mall.

BUT when we opened a new store, we spent 10% of our estimated sales plus matching vendor coop for the first 3 months or so, then back down to 4%.....

But know, we could utilize the Dept Store's advertising dept for copywriters, layout artist etc, to produce the ads, ROP or direct mail....... for free.....

Start ups should plan a chunk of their budget, to be spent on advertising.

Exactly.
This is the one thing I am seeing in millennial's starting a business, they seem to have this strange belief in all you have to do is start a business...post it on Facebook and watch the money fall from the sky!
More than once I get this blank stare when I question about what they have figured as their customer acquisition cost. And that is the moment I know they will fail. Is business schools no longer teaching about this??

Facebook is free. You control your advertising spending by defining your market. Maybe they know more than you do.

Yes.... a 23 year old knows more about business than a 53 year old who has been doing it for 30 years.
Keep hacking

I don't give a hoot about the Big company, it is the consumer that will be hurt by it and essentially will have to pay more....

and I, with a small business on Etsy, and all those small businesses selling on Ebay and lots of other venues, pay the same discounted bulk rate as Amazon....if amazon has to pay more for a bulk discount rate, then me, and all the other small businesses out there selling on big venue spots like Etsy and Ebay, will have to pay more as well....or rather the customer will have to pay more, as well.....

We buy our own USPS scales, we buy our own packaging and sticky shipping labels, we do the weighing and the packing and the label sticking, and get a discount because the Post Office does not have to hire and pay a gazillion Postal workers to work their front desk, to process all the customers coming in to mail packages.....it can be picked up in your mail box with the daily mail, saving them extra gasoline to come and pick up the shipment, like a UPS or FEDX would have to do.

UPS is cheaper for only big and heavy cartons...but mail size smaller packages are a huge savings at USPS compared to UPS and FEDX.

These small package shipments, have brought the Postal Service back to life again.....it has been their saving grace, since snail mail has been diminishing.

Amazon SAVED the Postal service, and so have businesses like mine and millions of other small businesses, with our small package purchases.

Amazon is saving the Post Office

They were becoming irrelevant

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

He's pisses at Bezos because he made his own fortune and he has a boatload more money than the trump klan.

Anti-America trump goes after one US business after another.

But China? Russia? NKorea? Saudi's? They OWN trump.

Get on your knees to the emperor or he will try his best to bring you down.

He's also reeel good at lying about what he's gonna do for a business or a group of Americans but of course, he never does.

Forum List

Back