Trump safe after 'gunshots in his vicinity,' campaign says

Trump is safe after Secret Service opened fire at suspected person with firearm near his golf club​

ALANNA DURKIN RICHER, COLLEEN LONG, MICHAEL BALSAMO and ZEKE MILLER
Updated Sun, September 15, 2024, 3:26 PM CDT·4 min read

WASHINGTON (AP) — A man with an AK-style rifle pushed the firearm's muzzle through the perimeter of Donald Trump's West Palm Beach, Florida golf course Sunday as the Republican presidential candidate was playing a round, prompting U.S. Secret Service to open fire, according to three law enforcement officials. The former president is safe and unharmed.

The person dropped the weapon and fled in an SUV, and was later apprehended in a neighboring county, the officials said. The officials were not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

An AK-style firearm was recovered at the scene near Trump’s golf course, two of the officials said. And no injuries were reported.

The incident was the latest jarring moment in a campaign year marked by unprecedented upheaval. It occurred roughly two months after Trump was shot during an assassination attempt at a rally in Pennsylvania, and a bullet grazed his ear. Only a week later, President Joe Biden withdrew from the race.

The golf course was partially shut down for Trump as he played, and agents were a few holes ahead of him when they noticed the person with the firearm, the officials said. There are several areas around the perimeter of the property where golfers are visible from the fence line. Secret Service agents and officers in golf carts and on ATVs generally secure the area several holes ahead and behind Trump when he golfs. Agents also usually bring an armored vehicle onto the course to quickly shelter Trump should a threat arise.

Trump had returned to Florida this weekend from a West Coast swing that included a Friday night rally in Las Vegas and a Utah fundraiser. Trump often spends the morning playing golf, before having lunch at the Trump International Golf Club West Palm Beach, one of three he owns in the state.

He has had a stepped-up security footprint since the assassination attempt in July. When he has been at Trump Tower in New York, a lineup of dump trucks have parked in a wall outside the building. And at outdoor rallies, he now speaks from behind an enclosure of bulletproof glass.

The White House said President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic presidential nominee, had both been briefed and would be kept updated on the investigation. The White House added they were “relieved” to know Trump is safe.

Harris, in a statement said she was “glad” Trump was safe, adding that “violence has no place in America.”
Prolly a disgruntled childless cat lover. :)

Another Assination[sic] Attempt at Trump Dupe Thread​

go here:

Links for press briefing here:

That was the story in the linked article in one of the first threads on this story. But now that we have something like eight threads on the same thing, who can say which that was? Apparently no one reads that you are supposed to check first before starting a thread whether there is already a thread on the topic!

Worse, digital media being what it is these days, it would not surprise me if the media originally reporting that has not since changed their article as new facts came in. I actually went on line looking for the story reporting that and now everyone is saying it was indeed a lone guy who was aiming for Trump.

What gets me is how, once again, some stupid fool with a gun, is better at exploiting weaknesses around Trump's rallies and property than the SS is at detecting them and bottling them up.

FBI investigating attempted assassination of Trump in Florida​

Gram Slattery and David Ljunggren
Updated Sun, September 15, 2024, 3:57 PM CDT

(Reuters) -Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump was safe after what the FBI said appeared to be an attempted assassination attempt on Sunday outside Trump's golf course in Palm Beach, Florida.

There were shots fired outside the course, law enforcement sources said. Trump's campaign had earlier said he was safe following gunshots in his vicinity but gave no details.

The Associated Press reported that U.S. Secret Service agents opened fire after seeing a person with a firearm near Trump’s golf club, citing two unnamed law enforcement sources, adding that no injuries were reported. Reuters was not immediately able to verify the report, which said that the suspect fled in an SUV and was apprehended in another county. CNN quoted Martin County Sheriff William Snyder as saying his agency apprehended the suspect sought by Palm Beach County.

The Secret Service said it was investigating the incident, which occurred shortly before 2 p.m. (1800 GMT).

Trump sent an email to his fundraising list saying there were "gunshots in my vicinity, but before rumors start spiraling out of control, I wanted you to hear this first: I AM SAFE AND WELL!" according to an email seen by Reuters.

Trump was injured in an assassination attempt in Pennsylvania on July 13, raising questions about protection for candidates just months ahead of what looks likely to be highly contested Nov. 5 election in which he will face off against Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris.

The White House said in a statement that President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris had been briefed about the incident and were relieved to know that he is safe. "Violence has no place in America," Harris said in an X social media post.

Reuters was not immediately able to confirm his account.

The Washington Post said Trump had been golfing at the course when the incident occurred. Secret Service agents took him to a holding room at the club, it said, citing two people briefed on what had happened. Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The first shooting of a U.S. president or major party presidential candidate in more than four decades was a glaring security lapse that forced Kimberly Cheatle to resign as Secret Service director under bipartisan congressional pressure.

Trump was grazed in the right ear and one rallygoer was killed in the gunfire. The gunman, identified as a 20-year-old Thomas Crooks, was shot and killed by a Secret Service sniper. The U.S. Secret Service's new acting director said in August that he was "ashamed" of a security lapse that led to the assassination attempt.

(Reporting by Gram Slattery in Washington and David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Additional reporting by Douglas Gillison and Richard Cowan in Washington; Editing by Chris

Yeah, he was hunting squirrels with an AK-47 and a range finder. He probably wanted to feed some Haitians.

Pay attention... I said, "I'm not saying the joker walking near the golf course wasn't up to something nefarious, but at this point no one knows anything for sure, save for the Secret Service agent discharging his weapon at someone he believes was carrying a rifle of some sort."

I am well aware of of what happened and that the FBI says they are investigating "what appears to be an attempted assassination" of Trump. I am also well aware of the fact that, until the investigation is over or until the FBI says yes this was indeed an assassination attempt, anything you or anyone else posts here is nothing more than speculation.

The essence of my post was responding to the post that pointed out that this was a duplicate thread.

Let’s not jump to conclusions. Just because the last assassin was republican doesn’t mean that this one was.
Trollin^

So Adam Kinzinger and Liz Cheney like Trump?

Not surprised you’re the same guy that doesn’t care about the working-class struggling in today’s America.

Put country first.

FBI investigating attempted assassination of Trump in Florida​

Gram Slattery and David Ljunggren
Updated Sun, September 15, 2024, 3:57 PM CDT

(Reuters) -Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump was safe after what the FBI said appeared to be an attempted assassination attempt on Sunday outside Trump's golf course in Palm Beach, Florida.

There were shots fired outside the course, law enforcement sources said. Trump's campaign had earlier said he was safe following gunshots in his vicinity but gave no details.

The Associated Press reported that U.S. Secret Service agents opened fire after seeing a person with a firearm near Trump’s golf club, citing two unnamed law enforcement sources, adding that no injuries were reported. Reuters was not immediately able to verify the report, which said that the suspect fled in an SUV and was apprehended in another county. CNN quoted Martin County Sheriff William Snyder as saying his agency apprehended the suspect sought by Palm Beach County.

The Secret Service said it was investigating the incident, which occurred shortly before 2 p.m. (1800 GMT).

Trump sent an email to his fundraising list saying there were "gunshots in my vicinity, but before rumors start spiraling out of control, I wanted you to hear this first: I AM SAFE AND WELL!" according to an email seen by Reuters.

Trump was injured in an assassination attempt in Pennsylvania on July 13, raising questions about protection for candidates just months ahead of what looks likely to be highly contested Nov. 5 election in which he will face off against Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris.

The White House said in a statement that President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris had been briefed about the incident and were relieved to know that he is safe. "Violence has no place in America," Harris said in an X social media post.

Reuters was not immediately able to confirm his account.

The Washington Post said Trump had been golfing at the course when the incident occurred. Secret Service agents took him to a holding room at the club, it said, citing two people briefed on what had happened.

Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The first shooting of a U.S. president or major party presidential candidate in more than four decades was a glaring security lapse that forced Kimberly Cheatle to resign as Secret Service director under bipartisan congressional pressure.

Trump was grazed in the right ear and one rallygoer was killed in the gunfire. The gunman, identified as a 20-year-old Thomas Crooks, was shot and killed by a Secret Service sniper.

The U.S. Secret Service's new acting director said in August that he was "ashamed" of a security lapse that led to the assassination attempt.

(Reporting by Gram Slattery in Washington and David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Additional reporting by Douglas Gillison and Richard Cowan in Washington; Editing by Chris

Yes, yes. We all know. 50 threads aren't necessary. Shooter didn't get within sight of him.
Breathe.

I Am a traditional Democrat, and I recognize that the post World War II economic boom was due to tremendous Democrat leadership and also teamwork by Republicans under people like FDR, Harry Truman, and Dwight Eisenhower. What is wrong with left wingers today that they cannot accept the fact that our economy was better and the country was safer under Trump, the world was safer under Trump compared to today.

As usual, very little to no substance from Democrats on these topics. it’s nonstop trolling, personal attacks and looking for gotcha moments.

one more dupe thread.

go here:

Am a traditional Democrat, and I recognize that the post World War II economic boom was due to tremendous Democrat leadership and also teamwork by Republicans under people like FDR, Harry Truman, and Dwight Eisenhower. What is wrong with left wingers today that they cannot accept the fact that our economy and country was safer under Trump, the world was safer under Trump compared to today.
Fdr reincarnated?

Forum List

Back