Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds

I have to agree with the OP's article. I'm not a major fan of Trump but my marginal support for him has been based on Socislnissurs, not economics.

Honestly. Economics almost never enter mu mind when it comes to politics. Social issues have always been and will always be at the forefront of my (and many other Conservative's) political agrndas.

I think that most of the people in Heartland America that voted for Trump were concerned about economics after eight years of the Obama failure that produced increased poverty, decreased family income, tremendous debt, greater income disparity and dismal economic growth.
If that's the case, then Americans are dumb and don't understand the recession.

I suspect that is not actually the case, and rather the OP is spot on

SCOTUS choose to ignore the Constitution in an effort to “right a wrong”.
Heh heh...sorry pal, but that is not a compelling argument. In fact, it's not an argument at all.

And, even if true, it does not debase the merit of the actual, delineated opinions of the SCOTUS judges

They are just humans, they are not infallible. Plus they have an agenda that does not always include following the Constitution

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Actually there is something forbids it. The Equal Protection Clause is violated by the very concept of “protected classes”, which by their very definition get more protection...and more can never be equal.
Unfortunately, that is not correct, as already decided by the SCOTUS.

The SCOTUS ruled in error in this case. It happens.
Again, not only is that not a compelling argument....it's not even an argument.

And what the fuck does that have to do with Christianity and the free exercise thereof?
What happens to your identity when you’re a 49 year old MD and Congress tells you your skills are outdated?
What does that have to with Christ?
Being replaced in the job market by Idolators?
You tell me.
Not sure what you mean...or why you would think it matters?
I honestly don’t believe religion has anything to do with realizing Corporate America is creating a slave class.
From the OP
White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.
It appears we are discussing two different things. I apologize, but imo you are discussing something not in the OP

They are just humans, they are not infallible.
That's adorable, but the reality of things here is about which arguments won the day, and why.

The arguments that won the Dred Scott case we're compelling and victorious, because of some premises that were accepted as truth (e.g., blacks being subhuman)

Maybe one of you legal experts would like to point out the flawed premise in the SCOTUS opinions, in this case?

They are just humans, they are not infallible.
That's adorable, but the reality of things here is about which arguments won the day, and why.

The arguments that won the Dred Scott case we're compelling and victorious, because of some premises that were accepted as truth (e.g., blacks being subhuman)

Maybe one of you legal experts would like to point out the flawed premise in the SCOTUS opinions, in this case?

We all know how the SCOTUS ruled, that does not mean we have to blindly accept it and not disagree with it.

This is the same group that said killing your baby was an act of privacy and assigned personhood to corporations...while denying it to human babies!

So where the fuck did this insane hatred of whites and Christians come from?
Huh! I don't see any 'insane hatred' so I guess one of us is deluded. But...just to speculate...if my family had been on the bottom in this country..for 200 years...I can see some resentment and, yes, even hatred..of the class that I thought was responsible. I'm not saying it should be that way..but human nature being what it is.....

Christians?? I don't see any hate at all...in my little world, religious choice is personal....and unchallenged.

I think that many on the extreme Right have an investment in being seen as victims--especially some of the young White males. I also see a lot of identity politics from both sides--and many weak-minded people..of both sides...buy into them.
Horseshit! You butt hurt libtards have done nothing but bash the fuck out of Trump voters because you bitches lost the election. You are indeed miserable irrational fucks.

We all know how the SCOTUS ruled, that does not mean we have to blindly accept it and not disagree with it.
But you aren't making any compelling arguments to the contrary. While I do not demand that you agree with it, the law demands that you comply.

Which means I have no work to do, and all the work to be done is yours.

But you aren't making any compelling arguments to the contrary. While I do not demand that you agree with it, the law demands that you comply.

Which means I have no work to do, and all the work to be done is yours.

It is simple logic...more is not equal. The Constitution demands Equal protection under the law. Then the Govt makes “protected classes” that get more protections than other classes...thus there is not equal protection.

This is irrefutable logic, which is why you keep ignoring it

This is the same group that said killing your baby was an act of privacy
Actually, they didn't just "say"that, they made a large, compelling set of arguments for it.

Same for the corporations, and those arguments were compelling.

When great arguments lead to undesirable ends, we are left with constituional amendments to correct it. Now, look around you...consider the up and coming generation of voters

What do you suppose the chances are that an amendment would pass removing special protections form all protected groups?

Less than zero, of course.

How about an amendment that renders obsolete the Citizens U decision ?

Better odds, there.

This is the same group that said killing your baby was an act of privacy
Actually, they didn't just "say"that, they made a large, compelling set of arguments for it.

Same for the corporations, and those arguments were compelling.

When great arguments lead to undesirable ends, we are left with constituional amendments to correct it. Now, look around you...consider the up and coming generation of voters

What do you suppose the chances are that an amendment would pass removing special protections form all protected groups?

Less than zero, of course.

How about an amendment that renders obsolete the Citizens U decision ?

Better odds, there.

SCOTUS’s decisions had the same effect as an amendment but instead of changing the Constitution they just ignored parts of it.

You are right that they will not be undone, this generation has grown up thinking this is normal. They do not really understand freedom or liberty

SCOTUS’s decisions had the same effect as an amendment but instead of changing the Constitution they just ignored parts of it.
Again, not an argument, much less a compelling argument. You are merely reiterating your dislike of their decision, and cloaking it in an unsupported statement that really is more of a distraction from your actual reasons for the dislike.

Again, not an argument, much less a compelling argument. You are merely reiterating your dislike of their decision, and cloaking it in an unsupported statement that really is more of a distraction from your actual reasons for the dislike.

I have given you the logic why it is wrong, logic you still can not refute

Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds

I found this to affirm my personal observations....A lot of Trump voters feel that they are being replaced and disenfranchised in America--after all, isn't that what MAGA really means?

Many believe it is/was about economics--This article makes the case that it's about social displacement and a fear of being moved from the top of the pecking order:

"Ever since Donald J. Trump began his improbable political rise, many pundits have credited his appeal among white, Christian and male voters to “economic anxiety.” Hobbled by unemployment and locked out of the recovery, those voters turned out in force to send Mr. Trump, and a message, to Washington.

Or so that narrative goes.

A study published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences questions that explanation, the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.

“It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel,’’ said Diana C. Mutz, the author of the study and a political science and communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where she directs the Institute for the Study of Citizens and Politics. “It’s not a threat to their own economic well-being; it’s a threat to their group’s dominance in our country over all.”"

Her survey also assessed “social dominance orientation,” a common psychological measure of a person’s belief in hierarchy as necessary and inherent to a society. People who exhibited a growing belief in such group dominance were also more likely to move toward Mr. Trump, Dr. Mutz found, reflecting their hope that the status quo be protected.

“It used to be a pretty good deal to be a white, Christian male in America, but things have changed and I think they do feel threatened,” Dr. Mutz said.

The other surveys supported the cultural anxiety explanation, too.

For example, Trump support was linked to a belief that high-status groups, such as whites, Christians or men, faced more discrimination than low-status groups, like minorities, Muslims or women, according to Dr. Mutz’s analysis of the University of Chicago study.
First of all, Shlomo, that's what EVERYBODY is afraid of, and, second of all, yeah, just like you yids are afraid of losing Israel to the Palestinians out-fucking you.

this generation has grown up thinking this is normal.
Wrong. This generation has grown up thinking that the bigotry entrenched in our society for hundreds of years is, itself, abnormal, and that it clearly must be ameliorated using force of law.

Sadly, they, like you think the force of law can do such a thing. That is where you go wrong.

All the law can do is hide it and keep it alive.

Let it see the light of day and let the marketplace decide it is is abnormal or not.

I'll give you (((one guess))).

HINT: It's what happens when you "tolerate" an alien, hostile, murderous minority and let them gain control of the cultural institutions your ancestors bequeathed to YOU.

We didn't need a study to realize the fact that Trump voters, for the most part, were motivated by an unwarranted fear of change and diversity.

Huh! I don't see any 'insane hatred' so I guess one of us is deluded. But...just to speculate...if my family had been on the bottom in this country..for 200 years...I can see some resentment and, yes, even hatred..of the class that I thought was responsible. I'm not saying it should be that way..but human nature being what it is.....

Christians?? I don't see any hate at all...in my little world, religious choice is personal....and unchallenged.

I think that many on the extreme Right have an investment in being seen as victims--especially some of the young White males. I also see a lot of identity politics from both sides--and many weak-minded people..of both sides...buy into them.
":Christians?? I don't see any hate at all...in my little world, religious choice is personal....and unchallenged."

Among the many reasons to hate you, Shlomo, is, I think, you sheer dishonesty.

Two great men, Luther and Hitler, both dealt with extensively.

We didn't need a study to realize the fact that Trump voters, for the most part, were motivated by an unwarranted fear of change and diversity.
az-obama-immigration[1].jpg

Forum List

Back