Tsarnaev/Boston Bombing

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
I suppose we are months/years away from this trial.

Forseeably there could be many mitigators involved.

So--'LWOP' is pretty much a given?

The complexity of the issues is beyond my grasp.

At this point it seems clear cut----act of terrorism, kill and maim multiple people=death penalty.

But I suppose all sorts of political and religious issues will be involved.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should not face the death penalty, even for a capital crime | Alan Dershowitz | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

'One of the hardest decisions Tsarnaev's defense lawyer has to make is whether to keep the case in Boston or whether to seek a change of venue to another location. The argument for moving the case out of Boston is obvious: virtually every Bostonian regards himself or herself as a victim of this horrendous crime, which brought the entire city to a standstill. But it may turn out that Boston jurors would be less likely to impose the death penalty in this case than jurors in other areas.

In the end, this case is more likely to be about whether Tsarnaev lives or dies than about whether he is guilty of this monstrous crime. If he planted the bomb, Tsarnaev chose death. We should respond by choosing life.'

That is pretty much how I think it will go.

I wonder what sort of change of venue would be possible? Off the top of my head --most New England states do not have the DP? I assume.

eh--no need to ponder this. Eric Holder has to decide whether to seek the DP. Lots of opinions on that whatever he decides and who knows what sort of procedures are involved.

I have not kept track of the trials of terrorists---vaguely recall that some may be residing in 'Super Max' facilities.

Will this case go to trial before 2016? Will that matter?

Last edited:
If I can be blunt, Dershowitz is a douche, lol

I agree with your thoughts, though. I suspect there will be a plea, LWOP, with blahblahblah about national security, vital exchange of information etc

If I can be blunt, Dershowitz is a douche, lol

I agree with your thoughts, though. I suspect there will be a plea, LWOP, with blahblahblah about national security, vital exchange of information etc

There are other articles in support of the death penalty.

I would be somewhat interested in knowing what sort of questions potential jurors would receive in voir dire for such a case. If Boston is the venue there should be some well-educated individuals.

Who knows what may happen before this trial after the slaughter in London earlier this week. Disconcerting to say the least.

Forum List

Back