Turkish Airlines Bans Air Hostesses From Wearing Red Lipstick and Nail Polish

SanTropez

Chill
Apr 8, 2013
Turkish Airlines Bans Air Hostesses From Wearing Red Lipstick and Nail Polish

May 3, 2013
Air hostesses banned from wearing lipstick and nail polish in Turkey sparking row over increasing Islamic influence | Mail Online
[Excerpts]

------------------
"One wrote: ‘Why not just ban stewardesses altogether so we can all breathe a sigh of relief?’
------------------

1974 Photo - Things were more modern back then.

article-2318892-199BF0EF000005DC-156_634x702.jpg

Female flight attendants at Turkey’s national airline have been banned from wearing red lipstick and nail polish, prompting renewed fears from secular Turks the country is becoming more Islamic. But critics say it reflects the creeping influence of the government's Islamic values. ‘This new guideline is totally down to Turkish Airlines management's desire to shape the company to fit its own political and ideological stance,’ Atilay Aycin, the president of Turkish Airlines' worker's union, said.

‘No one can deny that Turkey has become a more conservative, religious country.’ Turkey is 99 per cent Muslim, but the NATO state and European Union candidate has a secular constitution. 'They are objecting to the lipstick and nail polish that we have been using for years,' said Asli Gokmen, 30, a former Turkish Airlines' flight attendant who lost her job with more than 300 others last year during a union protest.

Turkey was one of the most modern, open societies in that region of the world. In the past several years, they've been reverting to old restrictive practices. So much for moving forward.

Good thing there's absolutely 0 chance in a frozen over hell that I would ever go anywhere near Turkey

:lol: I actually worked with a guy about 10 years ago from Turkey. He was here on a visa. Heavy drinker, didn't know what a razor was. He liked to swear alot saying "jesus-krist" this and that. Not sure what happened to him. His sister worked back there for the government in some sort of managerial function, and she was pretty progressive, very Western. But I always suspected this guy was just a ticker.......of course, this was all a couple years before 9/11 and no one was really thinking about any of that terrorism stuff beforehand.

Good for Turkish Airlines!! .. :thup:

Honestly? What is wrong with nail polish or lipstick? I was reading an article the other day about Muslim women using 'breathable' nail polish since it allows their prayer ritual that requires washing the hands and arms and all surfaces to be followed.

ahoy all,

i'd imagine that most folks ondeck would be fine with this.

businesses ought to be allowed to do things as they see best, aye?

- MeadHallPirate

Nice to see such staunch support for American ideals; women subjugated.

Men who doubt themselves must dominate women. They do so out of superior physical strength and vastly inferior capacity for understanding, living and loving. It is the greatest shame of humanity that men carry on this way. Little egos in little minds; the 'short man syndrome' on a widespread psychological plain. Religions that inculcate such a thing have nothing to do with any honest concept of a Great Creator. Fortunately, the laws of nature assure that such folly will pass away, though perhaps not soon enough for some of us. Ignorance, lack of understanding, bigotry, hate, cruelty and holding back the human spirit are all anathema to any definition of the Author of the Universe.

Last edited:
This is a disappointing development because Turkish women look very good in red lipstick and nail polish. Looking beautiful is the most fundamental right of a woman. Anyone who denies a woman this basic human right is sadistic.

Forum List

Back