Two Dead at UCLA Campus Shooting. Major Confusion. Fox News

A little context:
UCLA shooting live updates: Names of 2 dead in murder-suicide have not been released
"Violent crime is not common at UCLA
Violent crime is rare at UCLA, according to federal data.

The 419-acre Westwood campus of 43,000 students reported no on-campus murders, 136 robberies, 128 aggravated assaults and 193 sex offenses between 2001 and 2014.

The most common crime reported was burglary, with 1,872 incidents during that period."
westwood-village-areail.jpg

I wonder how many small towns of 43K in Gun Country can claim the same low crime rate?

A little context:
UCLA shooting live updates: Names of 2 dead in murder-suicide have not been released

The 419-acre Westwood campus of 43,000 students reported no on-campus murders, 136 robberies, 128 aggravated assaults and 193 sex offenses between 2001 and 2014.

The most common crime reported was burglary, with 1,872 incidents during that period."

I wonder how many small towns of 43K in Gun Country can claim the same low crime rate?
UCLA Police
"ABOUT UCLA PD

"UCLA PD sets a standard of excellence in law enforcement and serves a multi-cultural, educational environment of over 75,000 faculty, staff and students in Los Angeles. It is a part of the statewide UC Police system of about 410 sworn personnel. We take pride in our cultural and ethnic diversity and strive to employ a broad cross-section of the community. 130 students."The department employs about 62 sworn officers, 46 civilians and

Possibly the ratio of police officers to civilian population is higher in Westwood because of the combined force of UCLA's campus police department and the LAPD, LASD, and California Highway Patrol? Yesterday's shooting appears to have been a homicide/suicide over contested grades, and, possibly, a massive overreaction on the part of terrorism obsessed local law enforcement.

Well everyone with a gun head down there and help out with the bad guy.

Your ignorance at this sad time is duly noted.

Right in keeping with the "gun free zone is the reason it happened here" crowd. Fat Boys suck, move up to a real bike lardass.

It was a gun free zone moron............he didn't have to pick a location, you morons made it a gun free zone by law.....since we know that actual mass shooters pick gun free zones......

America is a murder free zone. Does that stop murder? You can call folks names all you want. Or you could stop with the bumper sticker slogans and put an original thought out into the universe. Ever attempt that?

I wonder, perhaps i'm out of line here, but has anyone mentioned to these morons that murder in against the law? How about passing a stronger murder law since the first one is being ignored so often? That's a great Idea, isn't it?

Yeah...I keep saying that we need a new murder law...it has to state..."It is against the law to murder other people.....this means you."

I think that might work....

Why? If your argument is gun laws do nothing? Why have any laws at all? Everyone armed is polite, right?

Why? If your argument is gun laws do nothing? Why have any laws at all? Everyone armed is polite, right?

All but criminals pill head democrats.

I wonder, perhaps i'm out of line here, but has anyone mentioned to these morons that murder in against the law? How about passing a stronger murder law since the first one is being ignored so often? That's a great Idea, isn't it?

Yeah...I keep saying that we need a new murder law...it has to state..."It is against the law to murder other people.....this means you."

Again with this silly argument....

We have laws that tell you what is and isn't allowed......if you break the speed limit you get a ticket...

if you use a gun for a crime you go to jail...if you are a felon caught with a gun you go to jail....and those laws already exist and are already used to arrest criminals...

What we don't need are laws that make felons out of normal, law abiding people who don't use guns to commit crimes or murder...but turns them into felons because they failed to fill out arbitrary paperwork....paperwork, like registraton of guns and licensing of gun owners that solve no crimes, and does not prevent one criminal or mass shooter from getting a gun.....all that paperwork does is set up a felony trap for someone who messes up the paperwork......

And no...universal background checks do not work any better than current, federally mandated background checks do.....

Right in keeping with the "gun free zone is the reason it happened here" crowd. Fat Boys suck, move up to a real bike lardass.

It was a gun free zone moron............he didn't have to pick a location, you morons made it a gun free zone by law.....since we know that actual mass shooters pick gun free zones......

America is a murder free zone. Does that stop murder? You can call folks names all you want. Or you could stop with the bumper sticker slogans and put an original thought out into the universe. Ever attempt that?

Every thought I have put into the gun debate is original...and backed up and supported.....you morons simply use words and then think that addresses the problem....

A little context:

You mean outside of thug country in the inner cities..........?

We have laws that tell you what is and isn't allowed......if you break the speed limit you get a ticket...

if you use a gun for a crime you go to jail...if you are a felon caught with a gun you go to jail....and those laws already exist and are already used to arrest criminals...

What we don't need are laws that make felons out of normal, law abiding people who don't use guns to commit crimes or murder...but turns them into felons because they failed to fill out arbitrary paperwork....paperwork, like registraton of guns and licensing of gun owners that solve no crimes, and does not prevent one criminal or mass shooter from getting a gun.....all that paperwork does is set up a felony trap for someone who messes up the paperwork......

And no...universal background checks do not work any better than current, federally mandated background checks do.....

"What we don't need are laws that make felons out of normal, law abiding people who don't use guns to commit crimes or murder...but turns them into felons because they failed to fill out arbitrary paperwork....paperwork, like registraton of guns and licensing of gun owners that solve no crimes, and does not prevent one criminal or mass shooter from getting a gun.....all that paperwork does is set up a felony trap for someone who messes up the paperwork......"

Oh my, and this is a significant problem? I need to know more, where can I look into this phenomenon. Do you know of a study or some report out on this? Don't bring some Brietbart type shit, real stuff, k?

Thanks, waiting ...

Every thought I have put into the gun debate is original...and backed up and supported.....you morons simply use words and then think that addresses the problem....

Sure mac, sure. I got my carry permit, I just don't have your misguided world view.

"What we don't need are laws that make felons out of normal, law abiding people who don't use guns to commit crimes or murder...but turns them into felons because they failed to fill out arbitrary paperwork....paperwork, like registraton of guns and licensing of gun owners that solve no crimes, and does not prevent one criminal or mass shooter from getting a gun.....all that paperwork does is set up a felony trap for someone who messes up the paperwork......"

Oh my, and this is a significant problem? I need to know more, where can I look into this phenomenon. Do you know of a study or some report out on this? Don't bring some Brietbart type shit, real stuff, k?

Thanks, waiting ...

Twit........I use the CDC, the FBI.......and left wing sources most of the time.......so try to actually post intelligently....please....

Please...show me where gun registration, licensing gun owners and universal background checks do anything other than target normal, law abiding gun owners.....vs. criminals ignoring it.....hmmmm...

Gun registration.....Haynes v. United States.....felons do not have to register their illegal guns...look it up....that means any gun registration scheme......only targets normal citizens...

Licensing gun owners....felons cannot own or carry a gun...so licensing them is not necessary...they are already forbidden...so again, you are only licensing normal gun owners...

Universal background checks.....felons do not go through current background checks...since they cannot own or carry guns....they get people who can pass background checks to buy the guns for them, or they steal them......and they will use the same methods for any scheme to implement universal background checks.....

Each of the above has just been shown to do nothing to stop criminals or mass shooters...since mass shooters can do all three........

So tell me.....if that is true......how is it that these things are not solely targeted at making criminals out of law abiding gun owners for failures to do paperwork?

Thanks, waiting ...

And here you go genius......Canada already tried registration of guns.....it was pointless, wasted money, manpower and time.....and didn't stop one criminal from getting a gun...

Canada Tried Registering Long Guns -- And Gave Up

15 million guns.....1 billion dollars...and it didn't work....

The law passed and starting in 1998 Canadians were required to have a license to own firearms and register their weapons with the government. According to Canadian researcher (and gun enthusiast) Gary Mauser, the Canada Firearms Center quickly rose to 600 employees and the cost of the effort climbed past $600 million. In 2002 Canada’s auditor general released a report saying initial cost estimates of $2 million (Canadian) had increased to $1 billion as the government tried to register the estimated 15 million guns owned by Canada’s 34 million residents.

The registry was plagued with complications like duplicate serial numbers and millions of incomplete records, Mauser reports. One person managed to register a soldering gun, demonstrating the lack of precise standards. And overshadowing the effort was the suspicion of misplaced effort: Pistols were used in 66% of gun homicides in 2011, yet they represent about 6% of the guns in Canada. Legal long guns were used in 11% of killings that year, according to Statistics Canada, while illegal weapons like sawed-off shotguns and machine guns, which by definition cannot be registered, were used in another 12%.

So the government was spending the bulk of its money — about $17 million of the Firearms Center’s $82 million annual budget — trying to register long guns when the statistics showed they weren’t the problem.

There was also the question of how registering guns was supposed to reduce crime and suicide in the first place. From 1997 to 2005, only 13% of the guns used in homicides were registered. Police studies in Canada estimated that 2-16% of guns used in crimes were stolen from legal owners and thus potentially in the registry. The bulk of the guns, Canadian officials concluded, were unregistered weapons imported illegally from the U.S. by criminal gangs.

Finally in 2011, conservatives led by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper voted to abolish the long-gun registry and destroy all its records. Liberals argued the law had contributed to the decline in gun homicides since it was passed. But Mauser notes that gun homicides have actually been rising in recent years, from 151 in 1999 to 173 in 2009, as violent criminal gangs use guns in their drug turf wars and other disputes. As in the U.S., most gun homicides in Canada are committed by young males, many of them with criminal records. In the majority of homicides involving young males, the victim and the killer are know each other.

What's wrong with a registry?

But gun registries have a number of problems. For one, they don’t solve crimes.

Canada’s experience with a long-gun registry illustrates this. After having spent some two billion dollars, the program was found to be ineffective at solving crimes or keeping people safe.

The State of Maryland has had a similar experience with its ballistic fingerprint records, finding that in fifteen years, only twenty-six cases were aided by the registry, and in those cases, law enforcement already knew which guns were involved.

All of this, of course, is in addition to the major question of how we would register American guns in the first place, considering the hundreds of millions here presently and our porous borders.

What registries do allow is confiscation. The experience in Britain of gun control worsening over time illustrates this. The same is true for Australia. And we’ve seen attempts to do the same thing in New York and California.

And then there’s the more basic question of privacy.

This is a concern that goes broader and deeper than just gun rights. Whether we’re talking about the NSA’s spying on our e-mail and telephone calls or the FBI’s desire to have a door opened for them into iPhones, it is abundantly clear that government wants easy access to our personal lives, in spite of and in contradiction to the protection of the Fourth Amendment.

A gun registry would simply be yet another example of this.

I’m sure that all of these points are a case of preaching to the choir, but as I was told once, even the choir needs to hear a good sermon now and then. In the battles over gun control, we risk letting some things slip through when confronted with a flurry of demands, and it’s up to us to make sure bad ideas are not converted into laws.

Thanks, waiting ...

This is why gun registration is also stupid.....

Haynes v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Background of the case[edit]
The National Firearms Act of 1934 required the registration of certain types of firearms. Miles Edward Haynes was a convicted felon who was charged with failing to register a firearm under the Act. Haynes argued that, because he was a convicted felon and thus prohibited from owning a firearm, requiring him to register was essentially requiring him to make an open admission to the government that he was in violation of the law, which was thus a violation of his right not to incriminate himself.

Majority opinion[edit]
In a 7-1 decision, the Court ruled in 1968 in favor of Haynes. Earl Warren dissented in a one sentence opinion and Thurgood Marshall did not participate in the ruling.

As with many other 5th amendment cases, felons and others prohibited from possessing firearms could not be compelled to incriminate themselves through registration.[1][2] The National Firearms Act was amended afterHaynes to make it apply only to those who could lawfully possess a firearm. This eliminated prosecution of prohibited persons, such as criminals, and cured the self-incrimination problem. In this new form, the new registration provision was upheld. The court held: " To eliminate the defects revealed by Haynes, Congress amended the Act so that only a possessor who lawfully makes, manufactures, or imports firearms can and must register them",United States v. Freed, 401 U.S. 601 (1971).[3] The original Haynes decision continues to block state prosecutions of criminals who fail to register guns as required by various state law gun registration schemes.

Actually the "two" dead includes the shooter who committed suicide. You can't find the shooter's name on the internet but Fox mentioned it. I didn't catch it but the first name sounded foreign which usually indicates foreign born. Maybe a student visa and probably illegally in possession of a weapon.

Mainak Sarkar has been revealed by the LAPD as the shooter responsible for the murder-suicide yesterday at UCLA.

He claimed Professor Klug had stolen code that Sarkar wrote and gave it to another student.

So, he thought the best solution was to kill the Professor, then kill himself.

:rolleyes-41: :cuckoo:

Mainak Sarkar has been revealed by the LAPD as the shooter responsible for the murder-suicide yesterday at UCLA.

He claimed Professor Klug had stolen code that Sarkar wrote and gave it to another student.

So, he thought the best solution was to kill the Professor, then kill himself.

:rolleyes-41: :cuckoo:

Guy was obviously smart so it makes you wonder why he didn't come up with the idea to sue in court over his intellectual property.

To me, if a person can do college over the internet, they should. Then something like this would be one less thing for them to have to worry about.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Excellent idea! Homeschool your kids to keep their little minds free of all that evil sciency stuff. Instill in them a terror of public restrooms; if the "you can get AIDS from a toilet seat" myth doesn't work, the "men in skirts looking to rape you" myth should hold for a while. Then when they're old enough, "send" them to to the University of Phoenix to get a degree they can't use to find a job.

You'll have them living at home until you're old enough for assisted living, and they'll stay out of the gene pool and the jobs pool so that the children of parents who aren't Afraid of Everything!!!!11! will have more opportunities.

Forum List

Back