Two Masters

the_human_being

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2014
I once saw Joe Biden put his arms around Paul Ryan in a rather fatherly and statesman like fashion and advise the young Senator that he had to compartmentalize his faith and his duties as a servant of the people. Both Biden and the Senate Minority Leader from California are Catholics. I do not offhand know what the religious affiliations of our Supreme Court Justices happen to be but the Bible addresses the subject of serving two masters:

Luk_16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mat_6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

I once saw Joe Biden put his arms around Paul Ryan in a rather fatherly and statesman like fashion and advise the young Senator that he had to compartmentalize his faith and his duties as a servant of the people. Both Biden and the Senate Minority Leader from California are Catholics. I do not offhand know what the religious affiliations of our Supreme Court Justices happen to be but the Bible addresses the subject of serving two masters:

Luk_16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mat_6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
How did Nixon do it? He was a Quaker.

How did Nixon do it? He was a Quaker.

Probably the same way Biden does it. They make a choice and it's the government and their own status over God.

How do you get "two masters"?

Wow, I haven't heard this inane crap since JFK ran in 1960.

Get your six year old brother to explain it to you.

So you can't answer.

So you can't answer.

Of course not. I'm the OP. I didn't know anything about it, that's why I posted it.

So you can't answer.

Of course not. I'm the OP. I didn't know anything about it, that's why I posted it.

I could already see that. Hence my question to spur you to spell it out.
As the great philosopher Pogotheus Maximus said, many weeks ago, "If you can't articulate yer point, wellsir it just might be you ain't got one".

So you can't answer.

As the great philosopher Pogotheus Maximus said, many weeks ago, "If you can't articulate yer point, wellsir it just might be you ain't got one".

You got me. I surrender. The Scriptures do not speak of anything, just idle prose.

So you can't answer.

You got me. I surrender. The Scriptures do not speak of anything, just idle prose.

I am.

You are wonderous.

So you can't answer.

Psssssst can I get in here that barb and ed's was the best hot dog place ever? Ok like can I get this in between?

Pogo give us a break here. Some of us are really trying to figure out spirituality, Whoa geeze we are working it. LOL.

Pogo give us a break here. Some of us are really trying to figure out spirituality, Whoa geeze we are working it. LOL.

Then don't look at it spiritually at all. Look at it from a common sense viewpoint. One cannot serve two masters. Suppose someone got a job on Donald Trump's campaign team and also got a job on Hillary Clinton's campaign team. Now, that someone would of course have political leanings of his own either toward Clinton or toward Trump. Since his employer is his master in both instances, how he serve the both of them to his fullest capabilities? See, that wasn't too hard, was it?

Then don't look at it spiritually at all. Look at it from a common sense viewpoint. One cannot serve two masters. Suppose someone got a job on Donald Trump's campaign team and also got a job on Hillary Clinton's campaign team. Now, that someone would of course have political leanings of his own either toward Clinton or toward Trump. Since his employer is his master in both instances, how he serve the both of them to his fullest capabilities? See, that wasn't too hard, was it?
Here's a better example. You have a boss at work = 1 master. You go home and your wife is the master of the house = 1 master. 1 master + 1 master = 2 masters that you have to listen to. Now if you have a second job... kids who run the show... play on a hockey team... you'll have even more masters. See how easy that was?

Here's a better example. You have a boss at work = 1 master. You go home and your wife is the master of the house = 1 master. 1 master + 1 master = 2 masters that you have to listen to. Now if you have a second job... kids who run the show... play on a hockey team... you'll have even more masters. See how easy that was?

How about explaining it to Pogo? He seems to have a real problem understanding it.

Again, those are not in conflict. "Two masters" means direct conflict. "Boss" and "wife" are different domains. They don't overlap.

Absurd. That comparison is two political campaigns in direct competition with each other. Your original premise pits religion versus politics -- two things that have as much to do with each other as headphones and tires.

Again, those are not in conflict. "Two masters" means direct conflict. "Boss" and "wife" are different domains. They don't overlap.

Absurd. That comparison is two political campaigns in direct competition with each other. Your original premise pits religion versus politics -- two things that have as much to do with each other as headphones and tires.
Boss, wife, priest, coach, kids, all would overlap. Don't be suck a dick.

Forum List

Back