U.S. colleges scramble after new Trump order on foreign students

Yep. Did you go to college? Remember sitting in class and the live back and forth and Q and A you'd have with the instructor?
I remember sitting in an evening US History 1945 to the Present class with a bunch of bored business majors who just wanted the credit and nothing else

the professor was a revisionist history flake who loved the Soviet Union and hated America

that kind of liberal/marxist brainwashing is not possible with online learning

Why not? Why do you think that?

The higher education puppy mills will lose a huge sum of money if education goes online

in fact the schools could get by with half the staff they have now

imagine a Feminist and Black Studies professor getting canned and having to find a real job

I encourage trump change his approach and support internet teaching
Online courses can be problematic. There is something to be said for live interaction among students and students and faculty. Most schools are attempting blended models. Lot of discussion going on, and regardless, the face of education is going to change.

This virus led the way.

Over half of my property taxes go to support our local public schools. I (nor any of my tenants) ever had kids in the school system, yet we have to pay for it.

Yes, the cost of these schools are high, in the thousands a year for me. But what do those costs include besides teachers? The buildings. The buildings that use heat, air conditioning, maintenance. Then there are busses. You have to pay the drivers, the gasoline, insurance, and so on.

Think how much money taxpayers could save through education online. Close down and sell the schools. No more busses because there is no place to send the kids to. Given the fact that the average educational cost per capita is about 12-15K a year, it would be more cost effective to provide those poorer kids with internet access and a computer.

You are talking K-12? Everyone would be home schooling?

Correct, that's what I'm talking about, and so are school systems all across the country. I'm very surprised the teachers unions are not complaining about it, although I'm sure all their members are still paying dues and not having to go into work.
Have you ever taught an on-line class? The preparation time is about twice as long as for in-person instruction.

Lol...no they aren't. They won't be going anywhere.
Thats too bad but I can live with a certain amount of residue knowing that new students will not be allowed in

then maybe we can grant waivers for s korean and japanese student, or maybe just waiver everyone except the chinese
There is no reason for a waiver. There are no classes to attend.

Why is this so hard to understand? There will be no physical classes. Instead of having classes limited by the number of seats, classes will number in the thousands. Literally limitless.
But will for students who are expelled pay tution?

Trump's admin is trying to force colleges to hold live classes on campus to open up schools. That's all that this is about.

Who said anything about expelling anyone?

If everyone ignored EO's it's not an issue
The immigration officers at international US airports are not/cannot ignore orders from the president

foreign students without visas are going back on the next available flight

Lol...no they aren't. They won't be going anywhere.
If their visas are terminated, which Ice is saying will happen, they will be leaving or staying illegally

As noted already....this will be in the courts for a long time. DACA students are still here right?
This has nothing to do with DACA. DACA students won't be taking any physical classes either.
You sort of missed the pt. Harvard and MIT have already headed to court over Trump's attempt to force colleges physically open
He has NEVER said they had to open. They are private schools.

Higher Ed is a product, and we have a lot of international students who want it.

A product they can consume via the internet from their home countries. You have no case here.
But they won't use it. They'll simply pay full tuition to European schools. Trump fucks us yet once again.
Good for them! What is the advantage of having foreign students not in the classroom?

Besides, European schools will not let them in!

Higher Ed is a product, and we have a lot of international students who want it.

A product they can consume via the internet from their home countries. You have no case here.
But they won't use it. They'll simply pay full tuition to European schools. Trump fucks us yet once again.

Oh no!!! Colleges won't get tuition from foreign students.....how will the nation survive?
Why won't they get tuition? They are taking on-line classes.

many schools depend on revenue from foreign students, who often pay full tuition
I am highly skeptical of that. There's a tit-for-tat "foreign exchange program" where students pay tuition and/or receive government funding for school abroad from their home countries. I was an exchange student in Sweden at one time, but now I can no longer travel to Europe or Canada anymore these days because of the European Union's political and military hostility to conservatives.

Everything Trump touches turns to shit. We have three years of evidence of this as President, and decades as a businessman in NYC to further validate this, but his cult remains oblivious, wearing blinders to his history of ineptitude. You knew he would target education with his choice of DeVoss, and now he is going after how these colleges are profitable.

Trump University anyone?

What does the student's physical location while taking classes on-line impact their profits?

It doesn't, dumbass!

Oh no!!! Colleges won't get tuition from foreign students.....how will the nation survive?
Why won't they get tuition? They are taking on-line classes.

Why won't they get tuition?

US schools won't get tuition because bendog says.......

"They'll simply pay full tuition to European schools"

On-line learning does not work for all kids. It is a poor excuse for actual instruction.
Its the lib public teachers themslves who are refusing to reopen the schools

if they dont return to work we should fire them since fewer teachers are needed for distance learning
There are? You ever taught a class like that?

Why do I think what?

that distance learning slows down the liberal brainwashing?

ecause as you say, personsl contact is always the most persuasive

and the partents can see all the liberal bullshit being served online

now I think most parents have no idea how radical some of the lib teachers are

Why do I think what?

that distance learning slows down the liberal brainwashing?

ecause as you say, personsl contact is always the most persuasive

and the partents can see all the liberal bullshit being served online

now I think most parents have no idea how radical some of the lib teachers are
The "liberal brainwashing" is limited to a few lib-dominated school districts and it is not as prolific as you think. When will you learn the truth? Drop the talking points bullshit and recognize that the quality of the students reflects the quality of the school.

The "liberal brainwashing" is limited to a few lib-dominated school districts and it is not as prolific as you think.
Nonsense

if that were true streets would not be filled with rampaging halfwits shouting stuff like death to the cops

Ok, now let's do an exercise in thinking, something which I know you are not accustomed to doing.

Where are all of these riots occuring? Those are the same locations of your "liberal indoctrination". Think that there might be a reason? How many Antifa protests do you think there were in Montana? South Dakota? Mississippi? Arkansas? Red states outside the Blue dominated major cities?

What is your conclusion?

What is your conclusion?
That liberals indoctrinate everywhere but the places you mention have stronger cultural values and are not so easily led astray

nevertheless even there a fair number are affected if they attend higher education

No, they do not indoctrinate everywhere. You have several teachers and former teachers on this message board who have repeatedly tried to overcome the talking points that education bashers repeat ad nauseum. Please tell me how I can indoctrinate someone teaching algebra, or language arts, consumer science, or PE? In history, it would be easy, but our textbooks were based on the editions approved by Texas and we know how liberal that state is!

You repeat the same lies over and over again so much I think you have a strong liberal streak yourself. Why is it so hard for you to learn the truth?

Forum List

Back