U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

80,000 a year turned away is evidence background checks do work.
Really? Demonstrate.

See post 207.

That's 80,000 people who otherwise would have a gun right now who shouldn't.
So you're saying that each of these 80,000 prohibited persons--who submitted their full name and address to the FBI--were summarily arrested, prosecuted, and convicted... hence did not--indeed, COULD NOT--obtain a gun, because they were in prison?

Is that your assertion?

Nope. My assertion is that 80,000 felons and fugitives and like are prevented from buying a gun every year.

See post 207.

To prove background checks aren't effective, you'll have to show all 80,000 go on to get a gun anyway.
No. We just have to demonstrate that ANY of them got a gun anyway.

No, to prove background checks are "entirely meaningless" (your words), you have to demonstrate all 80,000 still got a gun.

Entirely. Your word.

You are making the idiotic logical fallacy which would also say that since there is still murder, then laws prohibiting murder are "entirely meaningless."

The "gun show loophole" is a myth; fabricated to frighten the weak minded.

It is a fact you can buy a gun at a gun show and other private sales without a background check.
Deflection noted...
Not a deflection. I debunked his claim that the loophole is a myth. It is entirely true you can legally buy a gun without going through a background check. That's a giant loophole.

Really? Demonstrate.

See post 207.

So you're saying that each of these 80,000 prohibited persons--who submitted their full name and address to the FBI--were summarily arrested, prosecuted, and convicted... hence did not--indeed, COULD NOT--obtain a gun, because they were in prison?

Is that your assertion?

Nope. My assertion is that 80,000 felons and fugitives and like are prevented from buying a gun every year.

See post 207.

To prove background checks aren't effective, you'll have to show all 80,000 go on to get a gun anyway.

No, to prove background checks are "entirely meaningless" (your words), you have to demonstrate all 80,000 still got a gun.

Entirely. Your word.

You are making the idiotic logical fallacy which would also say that since there is still murder, then laws prohibiting murder are "entirely meaningless."
Gun violence is a local issue, most places have much bigger fish to fry...

Irrelevant. The only thing that could stop Roof is to repeal the Second Amendment, which is not going to happen.

However, background checks do stop 80,000 people a year from getting a gun who shouldn't have one.
Demonstrate.
Are you not reading post 207? Irrefutable proof right there.

Why are you joining a conversation and making the same stupid comments which have already been covered?

Read the topic first so you don't sound like a moron.

Really? Demonstrate.

See post 207.

Is that your assertion?

See post 207.

Entirely. Your word.

They have bigger fish to fry than homicides?

It is a fact you can buy a gun at a gun show and other private sales without a background check.
Deflection noted...
Not a deflection. I debunked his claim that the loophole is a myth. It is entirely true you can legally buy a gun without going through a background check. That's a giant loophole.
It's none of the government's business, it's a right.
Thus no loophole...
Deflection noted...

Really? Demonstrate.

See post 207.

Is that your assertion?

See post 207.

Entirely. Your word.

They have bigger fish to fry than homicides?
Most places in America have next to no gun violence...

Really? Demonstrate.

See post 207.

Is that your assertion?

See post 207.

No. I don't.

Entirely. Your word.
Yes. I stand by it. Background checks are entirely meaningless.

They do literally nothing to prevent proven violent criminals from victimizing their fellows, they don't prevent proven violent criminals from obtaining weapons, and they certainly do not prevent proven violent criminals from obtaining guns.

Your fatuous post 207 fails to account for any of that.

No. Law prohibiting murder are not meant to prevent murder. Murder is malum in se.

More laws will do nothing... Criminals don't follow laws by definition.

Yes, and my statement was accurate.

I must perform a background check on every buyer I sell to from my store.
Which is not a gun show or private sale.

Read the OP. Then come back and try again.

Dude get over yourself already, the OP is not only talking about gun shows and private sales it pertains to ALL gun purchases.

Damn you are one dense fuck!
When they talk about ALL gun purchases in the OP, they are saying they want background checks to apply to ALL gun purchases and that they currently don't. They don't apply to 40 percent of ALL gun purchases.

Damn, you are one dense fuck.

Where are the lowlife scum criminals getting their guns? I doubt its from law abiding citizens so why are gun control advocates out to pile on heaps of laws and regulations onto law abiding citizens?

How are lowlife scum criminals getting their stolen cars?
The Car Show Loophole.

80,000 felons and fugitives prevented from buying a gun every year, thanks to background checks.

It is pretty hard to defend being opposed to that.
Demonstrate that 80,000 felons and fugitives did not obtain a gun after they failed their background check.

Look, I know the long term strategy of the liberal leaders is to repeal the Second Amendment and confiscate everyone's guns. They don't say it out loud, and a lot of common everyday liberals don't know that is the long term strategy of their leadership.

So it is understandable that someone who loves and supports the Second Amendment will feel like they can't give an inch. I get that.

But this background check thing is the right and sane thing to do.
Yet to be demonstrated.

It actually works and actually prevents dangerous criminals from acquiring guns.
Yet to be demonstrated. Actually proven to be wrong.

The Constitution says we can remove someone's rights through due process. We take away a lot of freedoms from felons. Taking away their right to a gun is no different, and only an idiot would be opposed to that.
No one is.

Seriously.

Citing the popularity of an idea is not the same as showing it will be effective in reducing crime. It will not. Oregon has UBC and we see how that turned out a couple of weeks ago.
Such measures are nothing more than an attempt to stick it to lawful gun owners. It will not reduce crime one bit.

They know it won't reduce crime, the goal of gun control advocates is to make it so expensive, confusing, and legally risky for law abiding citizens that they just give up their 2nd amendment rights. We know what these lying scum are up to.
A background check is not confusing or expensive. It's the simplest thing in the world.
And entirely meaningless.
Very effective. Prevents about 80,000 fugitives and felons and the like from buying a gun every year.

You'd know that if you read the topic.

To save time, see post 207.
Your post 207 demonstrates nothing. For all that your fatuous post 207 tells us, 80,000 fugitives and felons and the like went out and committed 80,000 acts of lethal violence immediately after failing their background check, in order to obtain a gun without one.

NOTHING in your post 207 establishes that ANY of those 80,000 did not end up with a gun.

Deflection noted...
Nope. You debunked nothing.

562f7c181400001b013c936e.jpeg

This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world."

CHICAGO, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Police chiefs from across the United States called on Monday for universal background checks for firearms purchases, saying opinion polls consistently show that most Americans support such restrictions.

The proliferation of firearms is one of the factors behind a rise in homicide rates in many U.S. cities this year, according to senior law enforcement officials at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Chicago.

Acknowledging the power of the gun lobby and the reluctance of Congress to enact stricter gun laws, the police chiefs told a news conference they were not anti-gun but wanted to keep weapons out of the hands of people with criminal backgrounds.

Current rules on background checks apply to licensed dealers, but up to 40 percent of firearms sales involve private parties or gun shows and do not require checks, the chiefs said.

"This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. "It troubles me all the time."

Backing the effort is an alliance of organizations representing police chiefs and executives, such as the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators.

McCarthy said he was passionate about the issue after four years on the job in Chicago, which has more shootings and killings than other big cities like New York and Los Angeles and where police seize illegal guns at a much higher rate.

The police leaders called for expansion of background checks to cover all gun purchases and for a stronger background check system to ensure all agencies share the same records including criminal and mental health backgrounds.

More: U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

So, the question becomes: Who knows best - the NRA gun nutters or U.S. police chiefs? I'm guessing that "the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators" know best.

Gun ownership is a Constitutional Right....like voting. Why should either require an I.D.?
As has been proven, showing an ID has prevented 80,000 people a year from buying a gun who should not have one.

No one has ever shown that Voter ID has prevented or is the only means to stop the types of voter fraud which occur.

Apples and oranges fallacy.

The number of criminals stopped by the checks is also quite small. In 2010, there were over 76,000 initial denials, but only 44 of those were deemed worthy for prosecution by the federal government and only 13 individuals were convicted. Even those 13 cases don’t tend to be the “dangerous” criminals Obama claims are being stopped. There are additional state prosecutions, but those are rare as well.
76,000 people were stopped from buying a gun. Thanks for validating what I said.

Nope....76,000 normal people were stopped temporarily......criminals didn't get background checks and still murdered 8,124 people with guns.....

Citing the popularity of an idea is not the same as showing it will be effective in reducing crime. It will not. Oregon has UBC and we see how that turned out a couple of weeks ago.
Such measures are nothing more than an attempt to stick it to lawful gun owners. It will not reduce crime one bit.

They know it won't reduce crime, the goal of gun control advocates is to make it so expensive, confusing, and legally risky for law abiding citizens that they just give up their 2nd amendment rights. We know what these lying scum are up to.
A background check is not confusing or expensive. It's the simplest thing in the world.
And entirely meaningless.
Very effective. Prevents about 80,000 fugitives and felons and the like from buying a gun every year.

You'd know that if you read the topic.

To save time, see post 207.
Your post 207 demonstrates nothing. For all that your fatuous post 207 tells us, 80,000 fugitives and felons and the like went out and committed 80,000 acts of lethal violence immediately after failing their background check, in order to obtain a gun without one.

NOTHING in your post 207 establishes that ANY of those 80,000 did not end up with a gun.

And studies show those 80,000 were not criminals. They were innocent people who were stopped from getting a gun due to clerical errors and system screw ups...the criminals didn't even try to get background checks....

562f7c181400001b013c936e.jpeg

This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world."

CHICAGO, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Police chiefs from across the United States called on Monday for universal background checks for firearms purchases, saying opinion polls consistently show that most Americans support such restrictions.

The proliferation of firearms is one of the factors behind a rise in homicide rates in many U.S. cities this year, according to senior law enforcement officials at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in Chicago.

Acknowledging the power of the gun lobby and the reluctance of Congress to enact stricter gun laws, the police chiefs told a news conference they were not anti-gun but wanted to keep weapons out of the hands of people with criminal backgrounds.

Current rules on background checks apply to licensed dealers, but up to 40 percent of firearms sales involve private parties or gun shows and do not require checks, the chiefs said.

"This is a no-brainer, this is the simplest thing in the world," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. "It troubles me all the time."

Backing the effort is an alliance of organizations representing police chiefs and executives, such as the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators.

McCarthy said he was passionate about the issue after four years on the job in Chicago, which has more shootings and killings than other big cities like New York and Los Angeles and where police seize illegal guns at a much higher rate.

The police leaders called for expansion of background checks to cover all gun purchases and for a stronger background check system to ensure all agencies share the same records including criminal and mental health backgrounds.

More: U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

So, the question becomes: Who knows best - the NRA gun nutters or U.S. police chiefs? I'm guessing that "the Major Cities Chiefs Association and groups representing women, Hispanic and African-American law enforcement executives and police chiefs, as well as campus law enforcement administrators" know best.

Gun ownership is a Constitutional Right....like voting. Why should either require an I.D.?
As has been proven, showing an ID has prevented 80,000 people a year from buying a gun who should not have one.

No one has ever shown that Voter ID has prevented or is the only means to stop the types of voter fraud which occur.

Apples and oranges fallacy.

You haven't shown shit.

I've shown it at least twice, and 2AGuy just showed it again.

You have shown shit.

You claims are nothing more than hearsay, allegations which have not been confirmed.

And the truth about background checks...

NRA Debunks Bogus Universal Background Check Justification - The Truth About Guns

I want to caution you against repeating that claim. The facts are below.

• Media outlets including the Richmond Times-Dispatchand the Washington Post have concluded that this claim is false. Washington Post gave the claim 3 out of 4 Pinochios for being way off target.
  • Most of the survey covered sales before there was a federal background check system.
  • The 1994 survey was conducted eight months after the Brady Act went into effect, mandating background checks on individuals seeking to buy firearms from federally licensed dealers. Survey participants were asked about their gun acquisitions going back two years. Some of the participants likely made gun purchases before the Brady Act, when they were not required to undergo federal background checks.
  • Self-reports are inherently unreliable – not actual data of sales.
  • Only a small group of gun owners — 251 people — answered the survey question about the origin of their weapons. Some of the gun owners were not sure how they had gotten their guns, answering “probably” or “probably not” on whether they got the gun from a licensed firearm dealer.
  • Additionally, the federal survey simply asked buyers if they thought they were buying from a licensed firearms dealer. While all Federal Firearm Licensees (FFLs) do background checks, only those perceived as being FFLs were counted. Yet, there is much evidence that survey respondents who went to the smallest FFLs, especially the “kitchen table” types, had no idea that the dealer was actually “licensed.” Many buyers seemed to think that only “brick and mortar” stores were licensed dealers, and so the survey underestimating the number of sales covered by the checks.
  • The researchers gave this number for all transactions, including gifts, not just “sales.” Count only guns that were bought, traded, borrowed, rented, issued as a job requirement or won through raffles, and 85 percent went through federally licensed gun dealers; just 15 percent would’ve been transferred without a background check.
  • Economist John Lott, the author of several landmark studies on the real-world impact of gun control, has concluded that if you take out transfers of guns either between FFLs or between family members, the remaining number of transfers falls to about 10 percent. Lott stated, “We don’t know the precise number today, but it is hard to believe that it is above single digits.” (Op-Ed: The truth on background checks | Buckeye Firearms Association)

Irrelevant. The only thing that could stop Roof is to repeal the Second Amendment, which is not going to happen.

However, background checks do stop 80,000 people a year from getting a gun who shouldn't have one.
Demonstrate.
Are you not reading post 207? Irrefutable proof right there.
Yet it is fully refuted EVERY TIME a prohibited person obtains a gun.

Why are you joining a conversation and making the same stupid comments which have already been covered?

Read the topic first so you don't sound like a moron.
Read the topic. You're clearly the moron.

Forum List

Back