UC Boulder Tells Students Not to Wear Offensive Costumes

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I guess kids can't play Cowboys and Indians at recess anymore either because it might be offensive to the white school administrators.

University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised" - which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

They are also asked not to host parties with offensive themes including those with “ghetto” or "hillbilly" themes or those associated with "crime or sex work."

In the letter sent by a university official students are asked to consider the impact that their costumes could have.

Christina Gonzales, the dean of students, wrote: "Making the choice to dress up as someone from another culture, either with the intention of being humorous or without the intention of being disrespectful, can lead to inaccurate and hurtful portrayals of other people's cultures.

People have also chosen costumes that portray particular cultural identities as overly sexualised, such as geishas, "squaws," or stereotypical, such as cowboys and Indians.
Additionally some students have hosted offensively-themed parties that reinforce negative representations of cultures as being associated with poverty ("ghetto" or "white trash/hillbilly"), crime or sex work.

A university spokesman called cowboy costumes a "crude stereotype"

'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned by US university - Telegraph

I'm pretty sure real cowboys would be the last people offended by someone dressing up as a cowboy seeing as how they aren't a bunch politically correct candy asses like the guilty white administrators at UC Boulder.

The dirty little secret is that institutes of higher learning that were once centers for the open and free exchange of ideas and opinions have now become somber fear filled places where every word or gesture or article of clothing is scrutinized for potential political and social context. Accused violators might be ordered to attend re-education classes or face expulsion. It's Orwell's 1984 in real life.

I guess kids can't play Cowboys and Indians at recess anymore either because it might be offensive to the white school administrators.

University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised" - which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

They are also asked not to host parties with offensive themes including those with “ghetto” or "hillbilly" themes or those associated with "crime or sex work."

In the letter sent by a university official students are asked to consider the impact that their costumes could have.

Christina Gonzales, the dean of students, wrote: "Making the choice to dress up as someone from another culture, either with the intention of being humorous or without the intention of being disrespectful, can lead to inaccurate and hurtful portrayals of other people's cultures.

People have also chosen costumes that portray particular cultural identities as overly sexualised, such as geishas, "squaws," or stereotypical, such as cowboys and Indians.
Additionally some students have hosted offensively-themed parties that reinforce negative representations of cultures as being associated with poverty ("ghetto" or "white trash/hillbilly"), crime or sex work.

I'm pretty sure real cowboys would be the last people offended by someone dressing up as a cowboy seeing as how they aren't a bunch politically correct candy asses like the guilty white administrators at UC Boulder.

Well, I guess it's too late for Disney and toy Story:

images

I'm guessing these people never watch the Nashville Network. Cowboy costumes may be a crude stereotype, but there are a lot of people who want to be identified with it.

The disturbing thing about this is that a university considers it a legitimate function to instruct people who are legal adults (i.e., over 18 years of age) on what kinds of costumes they may wear.

First thing on the To Do list is to eliminate the positions of any administrator who had anything to do with this nonsense. Talk about being "non-essential."

As usual, some people really need to get 1) a fucking sense of humor, 2) a fucking life, or 3) various combinations of the two.

I'm guessing these people never watch the Nashville Network. Cowboy costumes may be a crude stereotype, but there are a lot of people who want to be identified with it.

The disturbing thing about this is that a university considers it a legitimate function to instruct people who are legal adults (i.e., over 18 years of age) on what kinds of costumes they may wear.

First thing on the To Do list is to eliminate the positions of any administrator who had anything to do with this nonsense. Talk about being "non-essential."

I so loved living in Nashville. I especially used to love going to the eating and drinking establishments and see what the tourists were wearing. Seems visitors to the city think Nashvillians dress in cowboy garb and, of course, wanting to fit in, they done western attire. It is most entertaining to watch them.

Forum List

Back