United Airlines chief to step down amid federal investigation

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Chicago-based airline said the resignations were connected to an investigation exploring whether the airline had established a money-losing flight from Newark to Columbia, South Carolina, to benefit the influential former chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, who owned a nearby vacation home. The flight became known as the “chairman’s flight” inside United Airlines, according to various media reports.

The twice-weekly flight began shortly after David Samson became chairman of the Port Authority, which operates all New York-area airports, and was canceled days after Samson resigned from the post last year.

A longtime ally of Chris Christie, Samson resigned in the wake of Bridgegate, a 2013 scandal in which Christie staffers and appointees appeared to collude to create traffic jams, allegedly to hurt the mayor of Fort Lee who had not endorsed Christie in that year’s gubernatorial campaign. The issue engulfed Christie’s administration at the time and sorely damaged his presidential prospects. The federal probe, initially launched by the U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, at first centered around actions over the Fort Lee closings, but has expanded into other behavior by the Port Authority, including its dealings with United.
United Airlines chief to step down amid federal investigation

Well, the plot thickened in this one.

When United and Continental merged I had hopes. That's because, some 20 years prior I had given up on United's lousy attitude and poor service. I shifted over to Continental and was reasonably pleased with their service. So the hope was that Continental would prevail in the service and attitude department.

I was wrong.

It was the United name that prevailed - as it was the unacceptable service level I had experienced with United.

I was wrong.

Now for my international trips, 2-3 times a year, it's Icelandair and, when absolutely necessary, Delta. American? Call me when they decide to act like they care about any passenger's business.

Wow....he only got a 4.9 million Golden Parachute.

That's pretty low by comparison.

Are boards waking up ?

When United and Continental merged I had hopes. That's because, some 20 years prior I had given up on United's lousy attitude and poor service. I shifted over to Continental and was reasonably pleased with their service. So the hope was that Continental would prevail in the service and attitude department.

I was wrong.

It was the United name that prevailed - as it was the unacceptable service level I had experienced with United.

I was wrong.

Now for my international trips, 2-3 times a year, it's Icelandair and, when absolutely necessary, Delta. American? Call me when they decide to act like they care about any passenger's business.

I rather enjoyed their upgraded business class. It's like having an apartment in the air.

Forum List

Back