🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Univ of Louisville "Core Values" #5: NO GUNS; Agree/Disagree?

Show the numbers if you want to make a claim like that.

The fact that it could happen is enough for me.

Until Joe blowhard can absolutely 100% guarantee that I or my wife will never be the victim of a violent crime I'll keep my gun.

There are no guarantees in life. We do the best we can. Walking through life in abject fear is no way to live. And a gun is not going to take that fear away. If anything, it will make an incident that much more likely to occur. There are better coping mechanisms for paranoia than guns.

Why is owning a weapon being paranoid?

Why do you equate being fearful with wanting the ability to protect yourself if needed?

Walking around oblivious to the fact that there are violent people in the world is what's unhealthy.

it's called denial.

Until Joe blowhard can absolutely 100% guarantee that I or my wife will never be the victim of a violent crime I'll keep my gun.

There are no guarantees in life. We do the best we can. Walking through life in abject fear is no way to live. And a gun is not going to take that fear away. If anything, it will make an incident that much more likely to occur. There are better coping mechanisms for paranoia than guns.

Why do you equate being fearful with wanting the ability to protect yourself if needed?

Walking around oblivious to the fact that there are violent people in the world is what's unhealthy.

it's called denial.

On the contrary, giving in to the hatred of others means they win, and you lose. I refuse to change who I am and how I live out of some off chance someone might attack me or steal my wallet. Things are replaceable. If someone is bound and determined to steal from me, or even hurt me, there isn't a lot anyone can do about that. But I am not going to worry about it. That's what they want me to do. Nor am I going to put someone else's life in danger to protect my own. That would be selfish.

[

You completely ignored the point of my post to spew your useless blather, the same blather you spew every time a gun thread comes up.

I dont care about suicides. Accidents happen with everything. As for murders, most are done by career criminals who happen to have a weapon because they are criminals.

No, most murders are people who get into domestic arguments with spouses, family, neighbors, friends and that guy at the bar who insisted on wearing his Green Bay jacket at a Bears Bar.

There is no hoarde of criminals out there ready to rob you. If you are killed by a gun, it will most likely be by someone you know.

I have. A bunch of times. And you get whiny every time I do it.

So....

Some RW'ers replied to imply the players are "thugs" who shouldn't have guns anyway- Hmmmm, what makes them thugs? Being black? Being athletes? If they were felons, they wouldn't be eligible for that footballs scholarship.

So, doesn't a black football player have the same right to bear arms as a good government hating, God fearing Tea Partier?

Then don't own one. Skull's gun is in no way affecting your life.

Gun control is ALL ABOUT fear. Fear of an inanimate metal tube that goes BANG!

Actually, owning a gun is all about fear. My fear is that you taking your fears out onto the street with you is putting me and my family at risk. I'm not a afraid of a gun. I'm afraid of the people who use them because so many have repeatedly demonstrated that they are not qualified to use them safely.

Chicago is losing its streets so people like you can have your damned hobby.

No, most murders are people who get into domestic arguments with spouses, family, neighbors, friends and that guy at the bar who insisted on wearing his Green Bay jacket at a Bears Bar.

There is no hoarde of criminals out there ready to rob you. If you are killed by a gun, it will most likely be by someone you know.

No one’s arguing you shouldn’t keep your gun.

But as with all other rights, the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment are not absolute, and are subject to reasonable restrictions:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

it's called denial.

On the contrary, giving in to the hatred of others means they win, and you lose.

Hatred? What hatred? I don't think violent people hate me i just think they are violent people. I accept the fact that humans are a violent species and that throughout our existence we have committed countless acts of violence and murder.

You deny that I don't. it has nothing to do with hate, winning or losing it's just the way it is and the way it always has been.

I refuse to change who I am and how I live out of some off chance someone might attack me or steal my wallet. Things are replaceable. If someone is bound and determined to steal from me, or even hurt me, there isn't a lot anyone can do about that. But I am not going to worry about it. That's what they want me to do. Nor am I going to put someone else's life in danger to protect my own. That would be selfish.

I equate owning a gun with life insurance.

I have life insurance but I do not worry about dying. As an adult I realize that there is a chance I might die prematurely and I want to plan for my wife's financial well being should that occur.
I suppose you think that's paranoid too.

And who is "they"?

Why do you think owning a weapon will endanger anyone's life?

I have. A bunch of times. And you get whiny every time I do it.

Because your numbers are bullshit, kind of like your intellectual level.

Actually, owning a gun is all about fear. My fear is that you taking your fears out onto the street with you is putting me and my family at risk. I'm not a afraid of a gun. I'm afraid of the people who use them because so many have repeatedly demonstrated that they are not qualified to use them safely.

You do know that the crime in chicago is not from people legally able to own firearms, right?

You do know that the crime rate of CCW holders is a mere fraction of the general crime rate, right?

All these laws being proposed target the people who follow the law, not the gang bangers. Its a simple concept gun grabbers just cant seem to get through thier thick, empty skulls.

No one’s arguing you shouldn’t keep your gun.

But as with all other rights, the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment are not absolute, and are subject to reasonable restrictions:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

There are legitamate restrictions, such as no felons with guns, no adjudicated mental patients with guns, and Ill even go with CCW permits being acceptable as long as they are "shall issue."

What is illegitamate is all of these "scary gun bans" that do nothing to prevent crime, and just punish law abiding gun owners. Add in "may issue" concealed carry rules, and what you get is cronyism, just like in NYC, where you either have to be a cop, know a cop, or be famous to get a CCW. where is the equal protection?

You do know that the crime in chicago is not from people legally able to own firearms, right?

You do know that the crime rate of CCW holders is a mere fraction of the general crime rate, right?

All these laws being proposed target the people who follow the law, not the gang bangers. Its a simple concept gun grabbers just cant seem to get through thier thick, empty skulls.

I don't know that that is true at all. You seem to be saying that the only crime that occurs in Chicago is being perpetrated by gang bangers. The fact of the matter is that legal firearm owners are also involved. Secondly, the guns with which all of these crimes are being committed started out their existence as legal guns. Somewhere along the chain of custody, someone broke the law to get these guns into the hands of people who aren't supposed to have them. The idea that "law abiding" citizens aren't breaking the law with guns is simply a load of crap.

No guns for the law abiding = easy prey for criminals.
No way to soundly argue otherwise.

This is known as a post hoc fallacy.

Because your premise fails as a fallacy, no counter argument is necessary.

OK, let's examine this "fallacy", shall we. Break into my home. I shoot you in the head, killing you instantly.

I have protected myself, my family and possessions, my home and my land. The Coroner arrives and carts the body away. The Sherriff determines it was a justified killing. End of story.

-and-

I have rid the world of yet one more worthless dreg on society that you, and those like you, pity.

Argument countered.

Now, for the other side of the coin:

You break into my home, you butcher me, my family, steal my possessions and walk away Scott Free.

YOUR criminal justice system does little (to nothing) to hunt down the butcher that murdered me and my family because you just don't have the "manpower" to waste valuable resources on because, after all, the butcher only used a knife. Fortunately, for all concerned, no guns were used and no "government" interests were involved. Case Closed.

-again-

argument countered.

I love you "pseudo-intellectual" folks.

[

You completely ignored the point of my post to spew your useless blather, the same blather you spew every time a gun thread comes up.

I dont care about suicides. Accidents happen with everything. As for murders, most are done by career criminals who happen to have a weapon because they are criminals.

I have. Numerous times. But every time I do, you whine like a little bitch, so why should I bother.

Psychopathic mass shooters love gun free zones.

I'd carry anyway and no one would ever know.

And if the idiot administrators at that college think that students aren't getting high then they're too fucking stupid to be in charge of a college.

Psychopathic mass shooters don't know the difference.

There were 2 armed guards at Columbine. Didn't stop Kleibold and Harris.
There was a whole police force at VA Tech. Didn't stop Cho.
Ft. Hood is a fucking army base. Didn't stop Hasan.

If you are the kind of whack who is looking for a place to kill yourself and take a lot of people out in the process, whether you get shot or not is probably pretty low in your consideration list.

Psychopathic mass shooters love gun free zones.

I'd carry anyway and no one would ever know.

And if the idiot administrators at that college think that students aren't getting high then they're too fucking stupid to be in charge of a college.

Psychopathic mass shooters don't know the difference.

There were 2 armed guards at Columbine. Didn't stop Kleibold and Harris.
There was a whole police force at VA Tech. Didn't stop Cho.
Ft. Hood is a fucking army base. Didn't stop Hasan.

If you are the kind of whack who is looking for a place to kill yourself and take a lot of people out in the process, whether you get shot or not is probably pretty low in your consideration list.

In the section of Fort Hood where Hassan killed those people no one was allowed to carry a weapon. IOW a gun free zone

Your other 2 examples are proof that the cops can't protect you so it is prudent to be able to protect yourself.

so, as fb season grows closer, i get so excited, and was watching espnu today and "college football live". They were at the university of louisville. The cardinals are ranked preseason top 10, and are seen by many as a possible national championship contender. Their head coach, charlie strong, is as classy and respected of a man as you could ever ask for.

If you go back and watch the show, they have a poster hanging in their team meeting rooms, it reads "core values" of the team. They were:

1- honesty
2- respect to others
3- no stealing
4- no drugs
5- no guns

now, u of l is a public school. Aka, a government school.

How do you feel about this? A public school, with a public govt employee, encouraging as a "core value" into 100 young people on government scholarship "no guns"?

disagree

Forum List

Back