US Compared to 18th Century France

Memo From A Rich Guy: "The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats"

the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats

Memo: From Nick Hanauer
To: My Fellow Zillionaires

<snip>

I see pitchforks.

At the same time that people like you and me are thriving beyond the dreams of any plutocrats in history, the rest of the country—the 99.99 percent—is lagging far behind. The divide between the haves and have-nots is getting worse really, really fast. In 1980, the top 1 percent controlled about 8 percent of U.S. national income. The bottom 50 percent shared about 18 percent. Today the top 1 percent share about 20 percent; the bottom 50 percent, just 12 percent.

But the problem isn’t that we have inequality. Some inequality is intrinsic to any high-functioning capitalist economy. The problem is that inequality is at historically high levels and getting worse every day. Our country is rapidly becoming less a capitalist society and more a feudal society. Unless our policies change dramatically, the middle class will disappear, and we will be back to late 18th-century France. Before the revolution.

And so I have a message for my fellow filthy rich, for all of us who live in our gated bubble worlds: Wake up, people. It won’t last.
If we don’t do something to fix the glaring inequities in this economy, the pitchforks are going to come for us. No society can sustain this kind of rising inequality. In fact, there is no example in human history where wealth accumulated like this and the pitchforks didn’t eventually come out. You show me a highly unequal society, and I will show you a police state. Or an uprising. There are no counterexamples. None. It’s not if, it’s when.

There won't be any need for pitchforks. Voters will take care of this at the polls. We may be 15 to 20 years away, but the Republican Party is slowly isolating itself into a minor party. We will basically have a one party system before too long, although some other party may emerge that is somewhat conservative in nature without all the dingbat nuttiness of the current conservative movement.

It is simply amazing. Under Obama and the Democrats the middle class has suffered the worst economic performance ever. They were better off on the last day of Bush's term in office than at any time under Obama. And yet somehow this is the GOP's fault, despite (actually because of) nearly 6 years of Democrat rule.
No, the Democrats will be swept from office this year and in 2016. The Democrats will be so thoroughly discredited that people will remember them about like they remember the Whigs.

What a CROCK!

The rich will get on their little private jets and leave. They will go to Singapore like Eduardo Savarin, Macau like Steve Wynn or some jazzy chalet in Switzerland. Then they will carefully choose their servants and let the poor eat one another.

so you're saying that we should count our blessings that the system is rigged in their favor? :eusa_eh:

FUCK YOU YOU RW KOOL AID DRINKING POS!!!

We USED TO HAVE a vibrant middle-class until politicians started openly selling their favors to the highest bidder due to, you guessed it, :up: lobbyists from the well-connected, super-wealthy got legislation written to allow them to do it.

Last edited:
Why would Obama do that? That would hurt the oligarchy that he works for.

yep. BOTH parties work for the same people. The people who finance their campaigns & ALLOW them to run for President. The same people who promise them cushy jobs on boards of ginormously large companies (created w/ crony capitalism).

Last edited:
The reference to 18th century France reminds me of a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to James Madison which I have frequently cited on this forum.

As soon as I had got clear of the town I fell in with a poor woman walking at the same rate with myself and going the same course. Wishing to know the condition of the labouring poor I entered into conversation with her, which I began by enquiries for the path which would lead me into the mountain: and thence proceeded to enquiries into her vocation, condition and circumstance. She told me she was a day labourer, at 8. sous or 4 d. sterling the day; that she had two children to maintain, and to pay a rent of 30 livres for her house (which would consume the hire of 75 days), that often she could get no emploiment, and of course was without bread. As we had walked together near a mile and she had so far served me as a guide, I gave her, on parting 24 sous. She burst into tears of a gratitude which I could perceive was unfeigned, because she was unable to utter a word. She had probably never before received so great an aid. This little attendrissement, with the solitude of my walk led me into a train of reflections on that unequal division of property which occasions the numberless instances of wretchedness which I had observed in this country and is to be observed all over Europe. The property of this country is absolutely concentered in a very few hands, having revenues of from half a million of guineas a year downwards. These employ the flower of the country as servants, some of them having as many as 200 domestics, not labouring. They employ also a great number of manufacturers, and tradesmen, and lastly the class of labouring husbandmen. But after all these comes the most numerous of all the classes, that is, the poor who cannot find work. I asked myself what could be the reason that so many should be permitted to beg who are willing to work, in a country where there is a very considerable proportion of uncultivated lands?

But the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property,

Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there is in any country, uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right.

Equality: Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

Last edited:
^ be careful. rw'ers heads, like Stephie's & The Rabbi's are going to explode. That is if they can read more than one sentence or two t one sitting.

Seriously, eXtreme rw'ers here have been trained to hate the less well-off. They like dynasties for some reason.
Having only one TV channel contributes to that, no doubt.

Last edited:
Bush prosecuted the S&L Fraudsters........ .....dems reward bankers stealing peoples homes.....

Bush prosecuted the S&L Fraudsters........ .....dems reward bankers stealing peoples homes.....

Remind me again which party fought the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act tooth and nail.

Both parties are now thoroughly owned by Wall Street.

Last edited:
Well, you can start by thanking Obama for printing $58 billion dollars monthly then dumping it into an economy that has zero conduit for creating jobs.

Didn't do it.

You're full of shit.

Or just really misinformed.

You can thank Reagan. That's when the money began trickling upwards.

^ be careful. rw'ers heads, like Stephie's & The Rabbi's are going to explode. That is if they can read more than one sentence or two t one sitting.

Seriously, eXtreme rw'ers here have been trained to hate the less well-off. They like dynasties for some reason.
Having only one TV channel contributes to that, no doubt.

I'm a right winger and, as such, I hate to see natural right being violated as much as Jefferson did.

But natural right is violated in a different manner today than it was in 18th century France. The playing field has been tilted to the advantage of a select few in ways that will not be solved by raising taxes.

Last edited:

Remind me again which party fought the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act tooth and nail.

Remind me how many prosecutions of bankers there have been......even under new regs of Dodd Frank and SARBOX....

Remind me how many prosecutions of bankers there have been......even under new regs of Dodd Frank and SARBOX....

Oh, I know. I have listed the names of actual people and their specific crimes many times on this forum who should all be in prison. I bet you couldn't do the same.

Why aren't the Republicans having hearings about those crimes instead of the IRS and Benghazi stuff? Hmmmmm...

Last edited:
Well, you can start by thanking Obama for printing $58 billion dollars monthly then dumping it into an economy that has zero conduit for creating jobs.

Exactly.

And why would he do that?

The obvious reason is because he hates America, with its traditions of slavery and Manifest Destiny and any of a host of other ills.

But remember that more than anything, Obama—a member of "the Rev." Jeremiah Wright's black liberation theological church for 20+ years—hates Israel.

He knows that multinational corporations will be blamed for the widening of the gap that continually grows on his watch between the super-rich and the poorest of the poor. But the corporations are actually just a puppet for who is in his (and other members of "the Rev." Wright's church) eyes truly to blame:

Jews.

Want the proof?

Look at the conspiracy theories on this forum alone.

At least 90% of them have something to do with blaming "Zionists" and similar slurs for creating the economic morass America is currently facing.

And the wider the gap gets, the more conspiracy theories about evil Jews with long, pointed noses who control world banks and the like will flourish.

America today is not much different at all from post WWI Germany. And our president knows it.

The French Revolution was driven by hunger and poverty. Obviously there are people in the US that are having a tough time but if we were to look at poverty as it exists in different countries around the globe, what percentage of the poor own mobile phones and are obese? Have microwaves, refrigerators, air conditioning, cars, TVs, computers......... How many people classified as poor in the US have these things?

Conditions like that leading to the French Revolution? Too funny!

This is simply the politics of envy.

"Never underestimate the power of jealousy and the power of envy to destroy. Never underestimate that."
Oliver Stone

Oh, I know. I have listed the names of actual people and their specific crimes many times on this forum who should all be in prison. I bet you couldn't do the same.

Why aren't the Republicans having hearings about those crimes instead of the IRS and Benghazi stuff? Hmmmmm...
but no prosecutions under any of those laws by Holder.......thanks.

What a CROCK!

The rich will get on their little private jets and leave. They will go to Singapore like Eduardo Savarin, Macau like Steve Wynn or some jazzy chalet in Switzerland. Then they will carefully choose their servants and let the poor eat one another.

so you're saying that we should count our blessings that the system is rigged in their favor? :eusa_eh:

FUCK YOU YOU RW KOOL AID DRINKING PIECE OF SHIT!!!

We USED TO HAVE a vibrant middle-class until politicians started openly selling their favors to the highest bidder due to, you guessed it, :up: lobbyists from the well-connected, super-wealthy got legislation written to allow them to do it.

Then you won't at all mind if the rich leave taking their money and industry with them. If you remember the French Revolution ended with a dictator and then begging the rich to come back in the Restoration.

The rich have nothing to worry about. As long as America rejects freedom, their future is secure.

Memo From A Rich Guy: "The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats"

the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats

Memo: From Nick Hanauer
To: My Fellow Zillionaires

<snip>

I see pitchforks.

At the same time that people like you and me are thriving beyond the dreams of any plutocrats in history, the rest of the country—the 99.99 percent—is lagging far behind. The divide between the haves and have-nots is getting worse really, really fast. In 1980, the top 1 percent controlled about 8 percent of U.S. national income. The bottom 50 percent shared about 18 percent. Today the top 1 percent share about 20 percent; the bottom 50 percent, just 12 percent.

But the problem isn’t that we have inequality. Some inequality is intrinsic to any high-functioning capitalist economy. The problem is that inequality is at historically high levels and getting worse every day. Our country is rapidly becoming less a capitalist society and more a feudal society. Unless our policies change dramatically, the middle class will disappear, and we will be back to late 18th-century France. Before the revolution.

And so I have a message for my fellow filthy rich, for all of us who live in our gated bubble worlds: Wake up, people. It won’t last.
If we don’t do something to fix the glaring inequities in this economy, the pitchforks are going to come for us. No society can sustain this kind of rising inequality. In fact, there is no example in human history where wealth accumulated like this and the pitchforks didn’t eventually come out. You show me a highly unequal society, and I will show you a police state. Or an uprising. There are no counterexamples. None. It’s not if, it’s when.

There won't be any need for pitchforks. Voters will take care of this at the polls. We may be 15 to 20 years away, but the Republican Party is slowly isolating itself into a minor party. We will basically have a one party system before too long, although some other party may emerge that is somewhat conservative in nature without all the dingbat nuttiness of the current conservative movement.

You keep concentrating on the Repubs when it is SHOWN to you that the Dems are every bit as bad. Wake the hell up dude.

and we havent even touched the MERS fraud with multiple banks and financial institutions trying to foreclose on the same property because ownership could not be established because the proper legal documents hadnt been filled out....good thing we didnt jail anyone over that.

Exactly.

The obvious reason is because he hates America, with its traditions of slavery and Manifest Destiny and any of a host of other ills.

But remember that more than anything, Obama—a member of "the Rev." Jeremiah Wright's black liberation theological church for 20+ years—hates Israel.

He knows that multinational corporations will be blamed for the widening of the gap that continually grows on his watch between the super-rich and the poorest of the poor. But the corporations are actually just a puppet for who is in his (and other members of "the Rev." Wright's church) eyes truly to blame:

Jews.

Want the proof?

At least 90% of them have something to do with blaming "Zionists" and similar slurs for creating the economic morass America is currently facing.

And the wider the gap gets, the more conspiracy theories about evil Jews with long, pointed noses who control world banks and the like will flourish.

America today is not much different at all from post WWI Germany. And our president knows it.

Knows it! He's counting on it. he needs Jew hating to help his brotherhood of muslims.

Exactly.

Jews.

Want the proof?

Knows it! He's counting on it. he needs Jew hating to help his brotherhood of muslims.

Yup.

I'm genuinely afraid we are seeing history repeat itself.

I just for the life of me can't understand why Steven Spielberg and most of Hollywood can't seem to see it as well.

Forum List

Back