🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USA Today: No Blacks or Females in Dunkirk Movie

Several movies would have been great except they inserted women into the story.
Pearl Harbor
Top Gun
Major League

Top Gun was a great movie? Really? I suggest you talk to anyone who has ever served in a Naval squadron, just go up to them and tell them how great you think that movie is. They will correct your thinking about it. Anyone else notice that when they were supposed to be flying against the Russians out in the middle of the Indian Ocean, there were MOUNTAINS in the background? And never mind the gross errors in protocol and how things are actually done. I served with VFA-131 Wildcats (FA18 outfit), for 4 years during my career.
No abla englese? How did would have been great go to being great?

Even if you would have cut out the love story part of the movie (which is what you said would make it great), Top Gun would still suck ass because of all the errors in the movie.

Yeah, like you could point out an error that wasn't paperwork related! :D

Pearl Harbor
Top Gun
Major League

Top Gun was a great movie? Really? I suggest you talk to anyone who has ever served in a Naval squadron, just go up to them and tell them how great you think that movie is. They will correct your thinking about it. Anyone else notice that when they were supposed to be flying against the Russians out in the middle of the Indian Ocean, there were MOUNTAINS in the background? And never mind the gross errors in protocol and how things are actually done. I served with VFA-131 Wildcats (FA18 outfit), for 4 years during my career.

Even if you would have cut out the love story part of the movie (which is what you said would make it great), Top Gun would still suck ass because of all the errors in the movie.

I have personally watched the volleyball scene about 100 times looking for errors ... still haven't found any. But, I'll keep looking.

Pearl Harbor
Top Gun
Major League

We know what movie he will be watching all of the time in hell.

Pearl Harbor
Top Gun
Major League

We know what movie he will be watching all of the time in hell.

No, he'll just be shuffling papers that are full of typos and grammatical errors that he can't understand.

I am trying to remember any female speaking roles in "The Longest Day".

Actually, there were a few female speaking roles in 'Dunkirk', none of them significant ... but they definitely got better treatment than the men who were almost all depicted as cowardly.

I am trying to remember any female speaking roles in "The Longest Day".

Actually, there were a few female speaking roles in 'Dunkirk', none of them significant ... but they definitely got better treatment than the men who were almost all depicted as cowardly.

Well it has been getting good reviews. Sorry you didn't like it!

The busty French underground chick.

Oh HELL yea ... the real life Janine Boitard

1423923153_boitard-louise.jpg

Played by a slightly more cinematic Irina Demick

vz2rrpaj8xth8rar.jpg

Well it has been getting good reviews. Sorry you didn't like it!

I was surprised as well. But, I found it a very different variety of war movie. The only thing I think the movie had in its favour was the photography, which was excellent.

Update again ... I wrote a very comprehensive review of this movie and, for some stupid reason, my post just disappeared. So, bottom line, I DO NOT recommend this movie. It is terrible.

For the record, there are very few movies I don't enjoy at least to some degree.
What didn't you like? Movies that rely too heavily on computer imagery tend to be a turn-off for me. I get the impression from the trailers that this one might do that.

Warning: Spoilers

Actually, this movie did just the opposite. It attempted to depict 350,000 British soldiers and 800 ships with what looked to be about 1,000 extras and a couple of dozen boats. This is a situation where CGI actually would have enhanced the movie.

But, my main complaint is how genuinely uninspiring this movie really is. British soldiers are depicted as dispirited and cowardly. Young soldiers pretending to be medics to sneak aboard hospital ships. A shell-shocked British officer kills a young boy in a panic over returning to Dunkirk after being rescued at sea by civilians. They show British soldiers turning on each other for the last spot in a sinking ship. You never once see the face of the German enemy, but you see British soldiers being bombed, drowned and burned alive. None of them died bravely. The French are depicted as conducting the rear guard action on their own while British soldiers mill about the beach crying to be rescued when in fact several thousand British held back the Germans in order for 320,000 of their fellow soldiers to be rescued.

The sound track was a continuous staccato buzz that I assume was meant to inspire tension but after the first hour just became annoying.
Do you believe that result was politically motivated or was it just historical inaccuracy?

Update again ... I wrote a very comprehensive review of this movie and, for some stupid reason, my post just disappeared. So, bottom line, I DO NOT recommend this movie. It is terrible.

For the record, there are very few movies I don't enjoy at least to some degree.
What didn't you like? Movies that rely too heavily on computer imagery tend to be a turn-off for me. I get the impression from the trailers that this one might do that.

Warning: Spoilers

Actually, this movie did just the opposite. It attempted to depict 350,000 British soldiers and 800 ships with what looked to be about 1,000 extras and a couple of dozen boats. This is a situation where CGI actually would have enhanced the movie.

But, my main complaint is how genuinely uninspiring this movie really is. British soldiers are depicted as dispirited and cowardly. Young soldiers pretending to be medics to sneak aboard hospital ships. A shell-shocked British officer kills a young boy in a panic over returning to Dunkirk after being rescued at sea by civilians. They show British soldiers turning on each other for the last spot in a sinking ship. You never once see the face of the German enemy, but you see British soldiers being bombed, drowned and burned alive. None of them died bravely. The French are depicted as conducting the rear guard action on their own while British soldiers mill about the beach crying to be rescued when in fact several thousand British held back the Germans in order for 320,000 of their fellow soldiers to be rescued.

The sound track was a continuous staccato buzz that I assume was meant to inspire tension but after the first hour just became annoying.
Do you believe that result was politically motivated or was it just historical inaccuracy?

Honestly, just bad film-making. I haven't read the book on which it was based so I don't know if the movie accurately captured the tone of the book. But, I would put this down as a very anti-war war film. Making statements against war isn't a bad thing ... but to demonize British soldiers who were attempting to halt Nazi aggression and depict them as cowards isn't the right subject.

World War II has been the subject of anti-war films before. However, there has always been a bit of inspiration in them. 'Bridge on the River Kwai' showed bravery in the face of adversity. 'Catch 22' showed idiotic face of war (that is always there) but there was also the dignity of Captain Yossarian just trying to work the system. 'Dunkirk' had precious little of that and I would single out only two characters, Commander Bolton (played by the excellent Kenneth Bragnah) and the RAF pilot who, low on fuel, pressed the attack on the Luftwaffe until his tanks were dry.

Pearl Harbor
Top Gun
Major League

I think most people understood Top Gun was fictional and took creative license to make serving in the military and Navy seem so exciting. Top Gun was one of the biggest recruiting propaganda movies ever made. Nearly all movies depicting life in the military are inaccurate.

I am talking about the movie of it......it was a retreat......movies about losing aren't as interesting as those where you win, especially when you win against over whelming odds...

I guess I look at the glass half full instead of half empty like you. Which is not a criticism, we're just different that's all.

I see it as a huge victory without which the war could have been lost even before the US entered the war. A loss of that dimension, that early in the war would have been crushing, both in terms of manpower and on the morale of all Britain could have led to the US not entering the war in Europe or delaying it's entry.

I think most people understood Top Gun was fictional and took creative license to make serving in the military and Navy seem so exciting. Top Gun was one of the biggest recruiting propaganda movies ever made. Nearly all movies depicting life in the military are inaccurate.

Personally, I'll only watch highly fictionalize war movies like Top Gun. Very realistic war movies give me nightmares for weeks.

Pearl Harbor
Top Gun
Major League

I realize that this is hard for you to accept but they never set out to film a documentary, their intent was to produce a movie that was FICTION, exciting, lots of fun and brought people into the box-office.

I vividly recall "2001: A Space Oddesy" when it came out in 1968. I guess you're going to tell me now that it wasn't accurate and real either. OHHHH NOOOOO! I am crushed!

I don't know that much about the history of Dunkirk and have yet to see the movie. Not sure where the black criticism comes in, but even if it was mostly a battle involving white men, they could have thrown in some worried mothers, nurses, etc. I guess. I normally get excited for new war movies, but the trailers I have seen for this one just are not connecting with me.
Yeah, they could have fabricated an entire tribe from Kenya helping them to escape!
I'm seeing BONOBO's next career!
He could led a platoon full of tranny negroes into the nearest Starbucks to hide.

Forum List

Back