USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ringel and TK, please accept my condolences.

So, Alisha has asked that we keep the Wednesday and Saturday poker games going in Royce's memory. We were happy to oblige.

After the memorial service folks moved back to their bar in Magnolia Springs for a reception. A lot of photos of Royce and flowers are still around.

One thing Royce was know for among his friends was his love of a pocket pair of jacks in a Texas Hold-em game. So, yesterday, there is this large photo of Royce sitting on a small service bar directly across the poker table from me. I had kind of been talking to him off and on when I look at my hole cards to find 2 jacks.
Action was in front of me and the pot had been raised twice by the time it got to me.
I pushed all in and had 2 callers. No more betting possible because 2 of us were out of chips, we flipped our cards. Joe had ace Queen, Bill had pocket kings and I had Royce's beloved jacks. Both Bill and Joe jokingly said "Fold. No way to beat that today. Sure enough, the flop was jack, jack, king.
I swear, That photo smiled just a bit wider.

So you, his very best friend, got the pocket jacks. Ernie, I swear when I hear about things like this I get goose bumps all over. And no way do I believe it was just coincidence. :)

Not his very best friend, just one good friend of MANY. I'm sure Royce wants us to know he is with us all. Sundays, we play, what else, more poker at Joe and Faye's house. Royce was a regular there too. 16 of us played 3 elimination tournaments. It took nearly 5 hours and 3 more people had quad jacks.

Beautiful. What a great feeling those pics brought me. Reminds me of my home, when a little girl. :thup:
Did you live on a steep hillside too? Homes around here are stuck to the sides of steep ravines. So steep that living room windows look into the second floor of the house to the right and the basement windows of the house to the left. One out of town visitor compared my town to San Francisco. We too are in the United States as is San Francisco. We lay roughly on the 40th parallel. Both San Francisco and East Liverpool are built on steep terrain. But that's where the similarities end. Totally.

But I'm happy you enjoyed my snapshots, aqua! I'm sure that your girlhood home was a beautiful place.

Well, I have lived in San Francisco, and know just what you mean. :D

What made my childhood homes beautiful, in addition to the colorful gardens of flowers, strawberries, and flags, was the presence of my mother. :smiliehug: She filled the homes with love and gentleness and she cherished her little girl. :)

Seeing how kind and caring you are to everyone here, Aqua, I'm sure you did your mother proud. :)

Coffee sure is good this morning... Hard to beat a good cup of coffee!

I just received a phone call from the lawyer of my friend, Otis, who recently passed away. They read his will this morning at 0900 in his office. My friend, Otis, who lived very simply, was actually a very wealthy man. I had know for years that he had lots of money and he owned quite a few rental houses in Rockford. However, we never dwelled on it and our fun together was training our beagles, the field trials, playing Rummy, going out to eat and just hanging out. I was quite surprised to learn that he had left me a very large sum of money in his will. He left the bulk of his estate to his wife, and rightfully so but to find out he left me anything was quite a surprise. Although I am not what I would consider a "rich" person, Mrs. BBD and I live a very comfortable life. I have no idea what I shall do with this gift that I was left. Going to have to give this lots of thought.

I could use a loan for about ten grand... :eusa_whistle:

I'll share this with all of you. After we heard my dad might not live through the night we packed up and headed for the Springs, during that drive we got the word he had passed. A few minutes after that call I had a brief but vivid image of my parents standing in a white light holding hands smiling at me, they were physically back in their late twenties. I was filled with joy, not sorrow.

I have a friend who was hit by the recession. She lost her job. She immediately went to work finding another one. She did a lot of online research and sent out literally hundreds of resumes. She found a guy to exchange with (can't remember but something like house cleaning or pet care) for his expertise in writing resumes and cover letters. It only took her 3 or 4 weeks to land another job. She's been working steadily ever since. I was very impressed with how much effort she put into her job search. But it really paid off![/QUOTE

“The Harder You Work, The Luckier You Get”

The harder and smarter one works at looking for a job doesn't guarantee finding one but it undoubtedly puts those who make the extra effort in the best position. :thup:

That is the gospel truth. Back when I was hiring folks, I passed over a lot of folks who had the credentials we were looking for in favor of the lesser qualified person who had a positive attitude and people skills, and convinced me they were eager to learn and were willing to do whatever was asked of them cheerfully and without being a pain in the butt. And it was those kinds of folks who usually got promoted and/or moved into the better jobs too.

I'll share this with all of you. After we heard my dad might not live through the night we packed up and headed for the Springs, during that drive we got the word he had passed. A few minutes after that call I had a brief but vivid image of my parents standing in a white light holding hands smiling at me, they were physically back in their late twenties. I was filled with joy, not sorrow.

And I believe that was your dad's goodbye for now message for you.

Oh and is my face red. The ministry team meeting is next month, not today. So I stopped by Albertson's and picked up some of their orange chicken and cole slaw and we're having lunch.

A very pleasant lady at the Easter Pageant rehearsals gave me some seeds. they are decorative pepper plants. I put them in some Miracle Grow potting soil in an old paper egg carton. I watered them well and set them on the east facing window ledge in the Great Room.

Well, some of them sprouted. I was given both yellow and red pepper seeds. I separated them planting six cells in the carton in red, the opposite side in yellow. One side is up, the other, not so much. But I don't know if I'm getting yellow or red! The marks I put on the carton have long since washed away.

Tomorrow I'll move the flag pole. When I installed it, I planted a Trompenburg Maple beside it. Now the tree has grown tall enough that the flag slaps the uppermost branches. I'll bed the peppers, whatever color they turn out to be around the base of the flag pole in its new spot.

What you saw was reality. Never forget that image, because you'll see it again, someday. They're watching over you now.

Last edited:
Hi folks. We got some snow last night, about an inch and a half of heavy wet stuff. If it was the middle of winter with an already frozen ground it probably would have been a foot and a half.....
It's already in the upper thirties and the snow is melting, go west and get north of the Springs a lot more snow and much colder weather.
Back down in Trinidad, much to do down here before we head back up to the Springs on Thursday, the wife has an interview in the Springs on Friday. Less money but if we get the house in the estate disbursement we won't have a monthly mortgage besides it's already been agreed upon that we can stay in the house as caretakers if needed.
Lots to do up there, I have to find and inventory all my dad's assets, dig though tons of paperwork (he kept everything) to discover any insurances or investments we may not know about. It's going to be a long process but probate can take up to a year which is why I'm checking into a Living Trust and Payment on Death accounts for my wife and I to avoid probate when our time comes.

I remember going through this after my mom's death in December 2012. Indeed, it took a while to get everything sorted out. Wishing you only the best, and lots of strength, Ringel.

Wow. I am glad you shared that.

Coffee sure is good this morning... Hard to beat a good cup of coffee!

I just received a phone call from the lawyer of my friend, Otis, who recently passed away. They read his will this morning at 0900 in his office. My friend, Otis, who lived very simply, was actually a very wealthy man. I had know for years that he had lots of money and he owned quite a few rental houses in Rockford. However, we never dwelled on it and our fun together was training our beagles, the field trials, playing Rummy, going out to eat and just hanging out. I was quite surprised to learn that he had left me a very large sum of money in his will. He left the bulk of his estate to his wife, and rightfully so but to find out he left me anything was quite a surprise. Although I am not what I would consider a "rich" person, Mrs. BBD and I live a very comfortable life. I have no idea what I shall do with this gift that I was left. Going to have to give this lots of thought.

I could use a loan for about ten grand... :eusa_whistle:

Couldn't we all? I'd settle for a new kitchen, wait a minute, that would be more than 10 grand....never mind

I have a friend who was hit by the recession. She lost her job. She immediately went to work finding another one. She did a lot of online research and sent out literally hundreds of resumes. She found a guy to exchange with (can't remember but something like house cleaning or pet care) for his expertise in writing resumes and cover letters. It only took her 3 or 4 weeks to land another job. She's been working steadily ever since. I was very impressed with how much effort she put into her job search. But it really paid off![/QUOTE

“The Harder You Work, The Luckier You Get”

The harder and smarter one works at looking for a job doesn't guarantee finding one but it undoubtedly puts those who make the extra effort in the best position. :thup:

That is the gospel truth. Back when I was hiring folks, I passed over a lot of folks who had the credentials we were looking for in favor of the lesser qualified person who had a positive attitude and people skills, and convinced me they were eager to learn and were willing to do whatever was asked of them cheerfully and without being a pain in the butt. And it was those kinds of folks who usually got promoted and/or moved into the better jobs too.

When I worked for the DOD, I was told to my face that I wouldn't get a better job because I was too good at the job I had.

So went to the bank first thing the morning to try and straighten out my mess. I really have to stop making expensive mistakes. Then on to the church to give out lunches to the homeless. It was a nice day for it. We were lucky and actually had some fresh fruits and vegetables to give out. Our lunches aren't exactly healthy. It's a beautiful day here today.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Wow. I am glad you shared that.

It was a very strange experience. Here I am driving up I 25 in the wee hours of the morning at 75 MPH when for that brief moment I was no longer in the car then suddenly I'm back behind the wheel with this feeling of joy surging though me. It took a few seconds to realize what I had just experienced.

Hi folks. We got some snow last night, about an inch and a half of heavy wet stuff. If it was the middle of winter with an already frozen ground it probably would have been a foot and a half.....
It's already in the upper thirties and the snow is melting, go west and get north of the Springs a lot more snow and much colder weather.
Back down in Trinidad, much to do down here before we head back up to the Springs on Thursday, the wife has an interview in the Springs on Friday. Less money but if we get the house in the estate disbursement we won't have a monthly mortgage besides it's already been agreed upon that we can stay in the house as caretakers if needed.
Lots to do up there, I have to find and inventory all my dad's assets, dig though tons of paperwork (he kept everything) to discover any insurances or investments we may not know about. It's going to be a long process but probate can take up to a year which is why I'm checking into a Living Trust and Payment on Death accounts for my wife and I to avoid probate when our time comes.

I remember going through this after my mom's death in December 2012. Indeed, it took a while to get everything sorted out. Wishing you only the best, and lots of strength, Ringel.

Luckily, for me, My youngest brother had the medical power of attorney and all the funeral arrangements had been made years ago with the Neptune Society so all he has to do is refer to them. My next youngest brother is the executor of the will but he's in Alabama, a retired high up military muckity-muck and now a high up government G muckity-muck who's very busy so he and I are checking whether or not I can be named a co-executor by the court to help him facilitate everything on this end.
Just found out my dad can have a military funeral with full military honors and have his and my mom's remains interned together at any National Military Cemetery, we're looking at Fort Logan in Denver.
Right now the biggest thing on my plate will be documenting and itemizing all property and determining value plus digging though mountains of files may dad left behind. Also trying to determine who want's what, with the help of the executor, and setting things aside for eventual distribution among the heirs.
By the way, anyone want a Kwai piano and a dry sauna? I'll let em go cheap........

And I believe that was your dad's goodbye for now message for you.

I think so, too.

What a wonderful experience.....just what you needed to put you at ease and in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back