USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
amazing, I just found out yet another one of my old friends passed away due to complications of substance abuse. that's the 5th one in the past year. Good people taken way too soon by careless and unhealthy choices

Sad, never understood why anyone would choose to use drugs....:eek:

drugs and alcohol. it is amazing how they can consume and change someones life.

Good morning, Coffee Shop.
The weekend was great except for some sad but expected news.
My poker buddy, Royce is failing fast. He has a brain tumor and elected to stop treatment after one course of radiation. Until recently, he had been relatively active, even taking part in a bond skipper recovery with Dog the Bounty Hunter while they were here in the Foley area. The show will air some time in June.
The last few days, He can't get out of bed and his wife Alisha is lining up hospice care for him.
He is still in good spirits. He has accepted his fate from the start of this, but Alisha is coming apart.
Foxy! Please add them to the list. Maybe me too. I seem to be having trouble dealing with this too.

looking-for-bunn-coffee-pots-21498685.jpg

4a1a1ef7af218ee08a6358730ffa08a1.jpg

K45084291.jpg

images

Life is good. :)

amazing, I just found out yet another one of my old friends passed away due to complications of substance abuse. that's the 5th one in the past year. Good people taken way too soon by careless and unhealthy choices

I have one headed down hill pretty fast myself. Particularly poignant to me today as I celebrate 26 years clean and sober.

I have one headed down hill pretty fast myself. Particularly poignant to me today as I celebrate 26 years clean and sober.

It is only 18 months for me, but even after fifty years of heavy drinking, I don't miss getting drunk at all.

My poker buddy, Royce is failing fast. He has a brain tumor and elected to stop treatment after one course of radiation. Until recently, he had been relatively active, even taking part in a bond skipper recovery with Dog the Bounty Hunter while they were here in the Foley area. The show will air some time in June.
The last few days, He can't get out of bed and his wife Alisha is lining up hospice care for him.
He is still in good spirits. He has accepted his fate from the start of this, but Alisha is coming apart.
Foxy! Please add them to the list. Maybe me too. I seem to be having trouble dealing with this too.

Too young. If I hear somebody is passing in their 90's - that seems logical. God speed and minimal pain. But anything before that practically screams "No. Thank you, no. Not yet."

I used to get irrationally angry at women when their babies cried while mine was sleeping. "Okay, hand her over. No - give her to me. My baby is asleep, and thanks to this one, my milk just dropped. Gimme."

True story... You know, everything that happens to you in life has some sort of a effect. Let me share this story with you and how it has impacted my life. My mother breast fed me when I was a baby. Once, while she was breast feeding me and sitting at the kitchen table talking to a neighbor lady, there was an incident. The neighbor lady got up to get a drink of water from the sink. She had a glass full of water and as she turned around she tripped dumping the entire glass of water on me as I breast fed. The result? Well, even at my age of 62, every time I take a shower I have strong desires to suck on a tit.
Funny, I was never traumatized that way and still................:D

Of course, that desire doesn't always occur for Me ONLY in showers....:eusa_shifty::D

It is only 18 months for me, but even after fifty years of heavy drinking, I don't miss getting drunk at all.

I don't really miss it either....

oh wait...you stopped drinking? :badgrin:

Good job, sir!

I actually quit drinking when I quit the Guards. I couldn't go on drill weekend and stay sober. And by that I mean I was getting falling down drunk,waking up in somebody's back seat under ... somebody .... - and I was a young mom. So, I put in my notice, and stayed sober ever since. So - wow. I have thirty years. I've never bothered figuring out dates, but I just did. I was in the Guards six years active, one year inactive, and I joined in November of '75.

Which was wrong. All this time I've been saying 6/1 - but if I joined in '75, and I was Ft. Snelling's student of the year in '82, then I had to be in longer than that.

Too young. If I hear somebody is passing in their 90's - that seems logical. God speed and minimal pain. But anything before that practically screams "No. Thank you, no. Not yet."
Royce is 61... I guess it bothers me most because this is the second good friend I will have lost recently that is younger than me. Don't seem right.:frown:

Royce is 61... I guess it bothers me most because this is the second good friend I will have lost recently that is younger than me. Don't seem right.:frown:

It's not right. Not right at all.

I stopped drinking and smoking at the same time in 2003. I never really drank much ever so it wasn't hard, the smoking was hard to quit.

I would love it if my family would stop drinking. It really isn't helpful in any way even if you aren't an alcoholic.

I stopped drinking and smoking at the same time in 2003. I never really drank much ever so it wasn't hard, the smoking was hard to quit.

I would love it if my family would stop drinking. It really isn't helpful in any way even if you aren't an alcoholic.

I've heard recovering alcoholics often change friends, but you can't change families, so it's not easy watching their behaviors change as they imbibe and you don't. I feel that way around ppl who drink caffeinated beverages most of the day. I don't want to be around them as I have seen and liked their behavior, before too much caffeine.

Breaking the smoking habit was a temporary and slight challenge, but had I ever been less that a light smoker, I am sure it would have been much harder.

I puppy sat for my brother and sister-in-law Saturday night. they really needed to get out and have some stink blown off of them. Their dog Teddy turned one in November, has all the energy and half the brains of Daisy the Mutt, and loves to come and see us at Pimplebutt. Daisy loves Teddy too, but after an hour or two, Daisy starts to show some indifference toward Teddy and his antics.

Teddy hit the scene at 3:00 in the afternoon so there was plenty of time to take a group walk. We all got back home around 4:00 and the games began. Daisy has so many bones and pieces of rawhide that my living room looks more like a coroner's office or an anthropological dig site than anything else. They both took advantage of peering out the bay window up front at the neighborhood kitty and the Malteses caged up across the street. They both chewed and gnawed on the bones and rawhide. They both slurped from Daisy's water dish.

But bedtime was what broke the peace. Teddy likes to snuggle up to my brother and sister-in-law and, as they weren't there, I would do nicely. Daisy's routine is to feign sleep in a recliner while I turn off the lights and check the door. She has one eye closed as I go into the bathroom to brush and flush before sleep. She lifts her head as I shut off the bathroom light and turn on the bedroom light.

By this time, Teddy was already on the bed. I had to shoo him off in order to pull down the covers and climb in. He laid down on my right side as close as he could get. Daisy's routine continues as she click clacks down the hardwood floor, scratches herself a while, measures the leap onto the bed and then leaps up to take her rightful spot.

There was considerable snarling and growling between the two as Daisy tried to snuggle her way between Teddy and me. Eventually everybody settled down and I fell asleep. But more than once I was awakened by a muffled snarl and a kicking leg.

i quit drinking 24 years ago when my first son was born. i was a pretty heavy drinker, but giving it up wasn't all that hard. espeically since i wasn't hanging out in bars. it's like you're out at a club you need that drink in your hand. smoking i gave up at some point in college. probably close to 40 years ago i guess. that wasn't that hard either. I had the mindset it was no good for me. I did a summer hike from Yellowstone to the Pacific. Packing a few cartons of cigarettes wan't an option. so i pretty much didn't smoke all summer. when we came to a town to pick up supplies i might pick up a pack, but that was about it. When i was home and back in school in the fall, one morning i had just finished my breakfast, had a cigarette and when i was finished with it put it out in my plate. as i sat there looking at the plate with some crumbs, egg yoke and a crushed cigarette but i just said to myself, wtf am i doing here. that was it, i quit

Good morning all.

Congrats to Ernie on his special birthday--each one of those is 'special'. And to all the others who have managed to get off booze that was hurting them and all who have managed to get off the cigs etc.

Re drugs and booze, of course many can and do enjoy alcohol in moderation with no apparent ill effects. There is even some data suggesting, for those who can have it safely, that a glass of wine with dinner is beneficial. Probably smoking tobacco (or anything else) is not going to be good for anybody though and is harmful to everybody, but everybody chooses their own time to quit.

But nobody ever expects to get hooked the first time they experiment with drugs. Nobody ever expects to become addicted when they start drinking alcohol. All of us thought we could quit any time we wanted when we taught ourselves how to smoke. I was a very heavy smoker when I quit - cold turkey - something over 25 years ago. Hombre quit before I did. Frankly I don't know how anybody AFFORDS cigarettes now. I quit drinking some 31 years ago in support of a loved one who was in trouble and determined to get sober, and also because with my family history and my own drinking patterns, I knew I was a very short distance from that invisible line when I would also be in serious trouble. I haven't missed it.

But it's in the mid 40's today, we are still under high wind warnings with a freeze watch tonight. The winter that never ends. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back