USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
And today is the third day in a row that we have had below normal temps coupled with gale force and stronger winds. I HATE WIND!!!

1979545_638775532860544_7094720034552925763_n.jpg

One of the people I want to stop drinking is my daughter. She laughs it off when I say anything, she mocks me and says she isn't "ready", Mom. Her hubby drinks, his whole family does. I don't think either of them are alcoholics but they sure can put away some margis at our favorite Mexican restaurant. We always drive.

My family tree is literally riddled with addiction issues, and I told my daughter from young on up - you'd be playing with fire. Please don't go down that path.

Now my sister who has more sobriety than I do, her son has never touched a drop or a toke or a pill or a sniff - nothing. He KNOWS the risk.

My kids all drink, occasionally to excess, but they all have an ability that I never had. They can abstain a day or a week or a month. I never could.

Best part about the kids' drinking is they usually all go out together and they pick a DD.
My daughter rarely gets picked. The boys are better drivers unconscious than she is on a good day.

I don't drink very often but if I do have a drink, I don't drive for while. At least one hour per drink. My husband drank a lot when he was younger and doesn't drink at all now. I drank very little when I was younger and drink about the same now. I do like a glass of wine with dinner occasionally, I also love those "foo foo" drinks that cost so much I could never afford enough to become an alcoholic.

My family tree is literally riddled with addiction issues, and I told my daughter from young on up - you'd be playing with fire. Please don't go down that path.

Now my sister who has more sobriety than I do, her son has never touched a drop or a toke or a pill or a sniff - nothing. He KNOWS the risk.

My kids all drink, occasionally to excess, but they all have an ability that I never had. They can abstain a day or a week or a month. I never could.

Best part about the kids' drinking is they usually all go out together and they pick a DD.
My daughter rarely gets picked. The boys are better drivers unconscious than she is on a good day.

I don't drink very often but if I do have a drink, I don't drive for while. At least one hour per drink. My husband drank a lot when he was younger and doesn't drink at all now. I drank very little when I was younger and drink about the same now. I do like a glass of wine with dinner occasionally, I also love those "foo foo" drinks that cost so much I could never afford enough to become an alcoholic.
Stop by for a bush whacker. Think chocolate milkshake with 151 proof rum.

Only $10.

Only $10.

Only ten dollah? Me ruv you rong time!

Good morning, Coffee Shop.
The weekend was great except for some sad but expected news.
My poker buddy, Royce is failing fast. He has a brain tumor and elected to stop treatment after one course of radiation. Until recently, he had been relatively active, even taking part in a bond skipper recovery with Dog the Bounty Hunter while they were here in the Foley area. The show will air some time in June.
The last few days, He can't get out of bed and his wife Alisha is lining up hospice care for him.
He is still in good spirits. He has accepted his fate from the start of this, but Alisha is coming apart.
Foxy! Please add them to the list. Maybe me too. I seem to be having trouble dealing with this too.

That is rough, Ernie! Sending you some positive vibes to help you get through this.

Only $10.

To me, $10 is a lot of money. I'd rather get a butterscotch milkshake for less than $5 at Burger Express. :D

Only $10.

To me, $10 is a lot of money. I'd rather get a butterscotch milkshake for less than $5 at Burger Express. :D

Times two!!

Good morning, Coffee Shop.
The weekend was great except for some sad but expected news.
My poker buddy, Royce is failing fast. He has a brain tumor and elected to stop treatment after one course of radiation. Until recently, he had been relatively active, even taking part in a bond skipper recovery with Dog the Bounty Hunter while they were here in the Foley area. The show will air some time in June.
The last few days, He can't get out of bed and his wife Alisha is lining up hospice care for him.
He is still in good spirits. He has accepted his fate from the start of this, but Alisha is coming apart.
Foxy! Please add them to the list. Maybe me too. I seem to be having trouble dealing with this too.
I'm saddened to hear about your buddy, Ernie. From experience I know that it's not easy when a close friend or neighbor is terminally ill. My prayers go out to both you and Royce.

Ah THERE you are Ollie. I know I'm an old fuss budget, but I notice when you are later than usual signing in. :)

Going into my busiest time of year, Lots of meetings and parade preparations, Speeches to write and people to co-ordinate with..... There will be days i may just drop in and say goodnight....

That's cool. There are days I can't do much more than that myself. But just feel loved that you are missed (and possibly create anxiety) if you don't do that. :)

amazing, I just found out yet another one of my old friends passed away due to complications of substance abuse. that's the 5th one in the past year. Good people taken way too soon by careless and unhealthy choices

Sad, never understood why anyone would choose to use drugs....:eek:

drugs and alcohol. it is amazing how they can consume and change someones life.

Especially when a person drinks to the point of getting drunk and totally not in control of self.

I can handle two drinks....don't ever have more than that because I don't like losing control, but something that is addictive like drugs, I wouldn't even try once.

I suppose that's one of the key differences between the Old and the New World. You have a gun culture, and most countries in Northern Europe have a heavy drinking culture. Me? I get plastered about once a week, usually consuming something in the region of twelve pints of ale in one sitting, so do most of my men. I also smoke, and sometimes use cannabis. Having said that, though, I smoke rolling tobacco, as ready made cigarettes are very expensive over here. I can easily afford them, but I can't justify the expense.

i remember back in the day we sould smoke something called english ovals when ever we could get them.

thats a lot of beer. to americanize it thats about 16 bottles of beer

It is. But I'm a big man with a strong metabolism. Not saying it's to be encouraged, and I usually feel pretty rough the morning after, but it's a fairly standard amount, especially when you consider the company I keep: other big men that work up a thirst during the week.
A good English ale probably has a higher alcohol content than most mass produced US pisswater called beer, so it is probably equivalent to more than 16 US bottles in total alcohol.

amazing, I just found out yet another one of my old friends passed away due to complications of substance abuse. that's the 5th one in the past year. Good people taken way too soon by careless and unhealthy choices

I do.

Some drugs make you feel so damn good while you are using them, that it is almost unbelievable. Cocaine is one of those drugs. When I was younger, I used cocaine, but as a college student paying my own way, I couldn't afford it, so I dropped down to the much cheaper crystal meth. Cheaper as in the same expense would keep you high for about 8 times longer.

Oh man, I was bad with the meth. I'd often go three days straight without any sleep. I was 22 years old, cramming for finals, working full time and I went five days without sleep using crystal meth to keep me going. I got through finals and crashed. When I finally woke up, I discovered I had slept for 32 hours, and I still felt like shit. Literally, when I woke up, I didn't know what day it was. After that incident, I never touched that stuff again. Crystal meth kills people. I don't know how I was able to just walk away from it because most people can't once they are hooked.

I haven't used an illegal drug for at least 25 years. Some years ago, I messed up my back at work (before I had the cushy office job) and I turned down the doctor recommended percocet for prescription strength Ibuprofen.
I do like my Scotch and Gin though. :)

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys.

Dad sent my mum a message last night - he had been given a meal, which meant no surgery last night. The doctors wanted to look at the ultrasound again. Did they think anything had changed?
This morning they are thinking maybe they will do the operation at midday, but they are doing a liver test first. We are a bit perplexed as to what the liver has to do with the gallbladder.

The surgeon who will operate on dad is the same doctor who operated on grandma's bowel a few weeks before she died, so I guess that since he's her son, they want to run more tests just to make sure history isn't repeating itself.

Hopefully by tonight he will have had his surgery. No matter what, that gallbladder needs to come out.

I do.

Some drugs make you feel so damn good while you are using them, that it is almost unbelievable. Cocaine is one of those drugs. When I was younger, I used cocaine, but as a college student paying my own way, I couldn't afford it, so I dropped down to the much cheaper crystal meth. Cheaper as in the same expense would keep you high for about 8 times longer.

Oh man, I was bad with the meth. I'd often go three days straight without any sleep. I was 22 years old, cramming for finals, working full time and I went five days without sleep using crystal meth to keep me going. I got through finals and crashed. When I finally woke up, I discovered I had slept for 32 hours, and I still felt like shit. Literally, when I woke up, I didn't know what day it was. After that incident, I never touched that stuff again. Crystal meth kills people. I don't know how I was able to just walk away from it because most people can't once they are hooked.

I haven't used an illegal drug for at least 25 years. Some years ago, I messed up my back at work (before I had the cushy office job) and I turned down the doctor recommended percocet for prescription strength Ibuprofen.
I do like my Scotch and Gin though. :)

I can't imagine wanting to feel good in a mind-altered way. I feel pretty good, and I can't imagine wanting to feel any better, especially if I know beforehand that it isn't even real.
And worst of all, knowing all the bad things that happen to people that use them and get hooked on them alone makes me shudder at the thought of ever using any drug - no "good feeling" is worth me giving up control of myself. And that's what happens, when people get hooked - they are no longer in control....and the way they look from continued use...it's just not worth it.

I guess I'm lucky in that even though I smoked when I was young...I gave it up cold turkey and didn't have any ill effects....never smoked or had the desire to do so again. Alcohol, I don't have it very often...maybe a glass of wine with dinner when we eat out, or a Margarita two or three times a week during the summer when we're out swimming. But, I'm not addicted to any of them, and I like that just fine.

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys.

Dad sent my mum a message last night - he had been given a meal, which meant no surgery last night. The doctors wanted to look at the ultrasound again. Did they think anything had changed?
This morning they are thinking maybe they will do the operation at midday, but they are doing a liver test first. We are a bit perplexed as to what the liver has to do with the gallbladder.

The surgeon who will operate on dad is the same doctor who operated on grandma's bowel a few weeks before she died, so I guess that since he's her son, they want to run more tests just to make sure history isn't repeating itself.

Hopefully by tonight he will have had his surgery. No matter what, that gallbladder needs to come out.

Hope the surgery goes well for your dad, Noomi....I know you must be concerned, but it sounds like he's in good hands. Please keep us posted....and my prayers go out for you and your family, Noomi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back