USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I hidee ho to Swagger who drops in every now and then too. :)

And Ollie hasn't signed in anywhere this morning which is unusual for him. Hope all is well.

Last edited:
My nephew just made my day by posting this on my daughter's FB page;

April 28th.... hey, I know that day. It's one of my earliest memories, running around in a hospital hallway waiting for something Really Important. It's a very green memory for some reason. Green scrubs, green halls. And of course my awesome cousin Tiara happened at the end of it. : ) Happy birthday, Tirara. Love you.

He pronounced her name like that at the end when he was little. :)

I suppose that's one of the key differences between the Old and the New World. You have a gun culture, and most countries in Northern Europe have a heavy drinking culture. Me? I get plastered about once a week, usually consuming something in the region of twelve pints of ale in one sitting, so do most of my men. I also smoke, and sometimes use cannabis. Having said that, though, I smoke rolling tobacco, as ready made cigarettes are very expensive over here. I can easily afford them, but I can't justify the expense.

Quit doing "non-prescribed" drugs over 30 years ago, quit drinking 20 years ago, what's getting me is all those injuries I had in my early teens up through my early twenties have come back to haunt me in a big way. Still smoke but I've switched over to the all natural ultra-lights a while back after I learned what the major manufactures were putting in their tobacco.
My BP issue is genetic as is my prostate problem though I can mitigate both somewhat as I work on trying to get back into some semblance of physical shape.

I suppose that's one of the key differences between the Old and the New World. You have a gun culture, and most countries in Northern Europe have a heavy drinking culture. Me? I get plastered about once a week, usually consuming something in the region of twelve pints of ale in one sitting, so do most of my men. I also smoke, and sometimes use cannabis. Having said that, though, I smoke rolling tobacco, as ready made cigarettes are very expensive over here. I can easily afford them, but I can't justify the expense.

i remember back in the day we sould smoke something called english ovals when ever we could get them.

thats a lot of beer. to americanize it thats about 16 bottles of beer

I stopped drinking and smoking at the same time in 2003. I never really drank much ever so it wasn't hard, the smoking was hard to quit.

I would love it if my family would stop drinking. It really isn't helpful in any way even if you aren't an alcoholic.

I've heard recovering alcoholics often change friends, but you can't change families, so it's not easy watching their behaviors change as they imbibe and you don't. I feel that way around ppl who drink caffeinated beverages most of the day. I don't want to be around them as I have seen and liked their behavior, before too much caffeine.

Breaking the smoking habit was a temporary and slight challenge, but had I ever been less that a light smoker, I am sure it would have been much harder.

One of the people I want to stop drinking is my daughter. She laughs it off when I say anything, she mocks me and says she isn't "ready", Mom. Her hubby drinks, his whole family does. I don't think either of them are alcoholics but they sure can put away some margis at our favorite Mexican restaurant. We always drive.

I stopped drinking and smoking at the same time in 2003. I never really drank much ever so it wasn't hard, the smoking was hard to quit.

I would love it if my family would stop drinking. It really isn't helpful in any way even if you aren't an alcoholic.

I've heard recovering alcoholics often change friends, but you can't change families, so it's not easy watching their behaviors change as they imbibe and you don't. I feel that way around ppl who drink caffeinated beverages most of the day. I don't want to be around them as I have seen and liked their behavior, before too much caffeine.

Breaking the smoking habit was a temporary and slight challenge, but had I ever been less that a light smoker, I am sure it would have been much harder.

One of the people I want to stop drinking is my daughter. She laughs it off when I say anything, she mocks me and says she isn't "ready", Mom. Her hubby drinks, his whole family does. I don't think either of them are alcoholics but they sure can put away some margis at our favorite Mexican restaurant. We always drive.

One of my favorite things to do way back then was to go out to a good spot for dinner and dancing and a few drinks. Or just going dancing to a local honky tonk with a bunch of our friends. Just wouldn't have been the same (back then) without those drinks. Or we used to belong to a bowling league and had a blast, drinking a beer or two until we finished the set, and then retiring to the lounge for a few drinks before heading home. I couldn't imagine how anybody could enjoy all that without the drinks.

Until I quit drinking. And I found out I could still have fun. And I bowled better too. :)

My family tree is literally riddled with addiction issues, and I told my daughter from young on up - you'd be playing with fire. Please don't go down that path.

Now my sister who has more sobriety than I do, her son has never touched a drop or a toke or a pill or a sniff - nothing. He KNOWS the risk.

One of my favorite things to do way back then was to go out to a good spot for dinner and dancing and a few drinks. Or just going dancing to a local honky tonk with a bunch of our friends. Just wouldn't have been the same (back then) without those drinks. Or we used to belong to a bowling league and had a blast, drinking a beer or two until we finished the set, and then retiring to the lounge for a few drinks before heading home. I couldn't imagine how anybody could enjoy all that without the drinks.

Until I quit drinking. And I found out I could still have fun. And I bowled better too. :)

Yep, they bowl too. They're both so sociable and fun, I really love them and hope they will see the light. :D

My sister's heart is broken, the clinic is claiming they didn't find it. She was the last appointment of the day. Her Kindle Fire is missing, so either an employee or a member of the cleaning crew has possession of it. And she is heartbroken because it was a Christmas gift from her son last year.

i remember back in the day we sould smoke something called english ovals when ever we could get them.

thats a lot of beer. to americanize it thats about 16 bottles of beer

It is. But I'm a big man with a strong metabolism. Not saying it's to be encouraged, and I usually feel pretty rough the morning after, but it's a fairly standard amount, especially when you consider the company I keep: other big men that work up a thirst during the week.

I dont' smoke anymore, and I never liked the high that pot gave Me, but I have to say, I'm impressed. Even for Me, that is a lot of ale.

monday_60.gif

My family tree is literally riddled with addiction issues, and I told my daughter from young on up - you'd be playing with fire. Please don't go down that path.

Now my sister who has more sobriety than I do, her son has never touched a drop or a toke or a pill or a sniff - nothing. He KNOWS the risk.

My kids all drink, occasionally to excess, but they all have an ability that I never had. They can abstain a day or a week or a month. I never could.

Best part about the kids' drinking is they usually all go out together and they pick a DD.
My daughter rarely gets picked. The boys are better drivers unconscious than she is on a good day.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
― Benjamin Franklin

My sister's heart is broken, the clinic is claiming they didn't find it. She was the last appointment of the day. Her Kindle Fire is missing, so either an employee or a member of the cleaning crew has possession of it. And she is heartbroken because it was a Christmas gift from her son last year.

Aw that's awful. When we were spending hours/days at the cancer outpatient clinic while Hombre was undergoing his procedures, there was one day we thought he had left his Kindle. We called and they reported they didn't find it where we thought we had left it but it would probably turn up. And then I found it lying flat in the big purse I carry to such occasions--that purse carries all the paraphernalia including Kindles etc. that we might need during the day. So tell your sis to check the bottom of her purse.

And maybe it will turn up. A cleaning supply person or some such may have picked it up and set it where the office crew wouldn't think to look. But if not, at least you had the presence of mind to disable the account. Can it be started up on a new device without reactivating it on the old one?

Aw that's awful. When we were spending hours/days at the cancer outpatient clinic while Hombre was undergoing his procedures, there was one day we thought he had left his Kindle. We called and they reported they didn't find it where we thought we had left it but it would probably turn up. And then I found it lying flat in the big purse I carry to such occasions--that purse carries all the paraphernalia including Kindles etc. that we might need during the day. So tell your sis to check the bottom of her purse.

And maybe it will turn up. A cleaning supply person or some such may have picked it up and set it where the office crew wouldn't think to look. But if not, at least you had the presence of mind to disable the account. Can it be started up on a new device without reactivating it on the old one?

She's on the phone with Amazon right now, making sure her Kindle Fire has been rendered Frisbee status. I hope the clinic calls her back, and your hopes come true.

She's just sick. :( I can't imagine. We all get so attached to these electronics that essentially "bring us the world."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back