USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's coffee at Doc Holliday's

coffee-and-cigar1-res.jpg

I used to love Chocolate, then all of a sudden....well maybe not so sudden, I realized I didn't like it so much, after all. Now, I might have a piece or two once in a blue moon.
And, it's got to be the milk chocolate, although the dark chocolate is the one that is supposed to be so good for a person.
I am not a huge fan of chocolate. I may eat it if it's mixed with other food, but I generally don't go after plain chocolate. When I have a candy bar, it's usually something like PayDay.

Paydays are good...I like to eat salted peanuts with a Hershey Bar, whenever I have one, ...kinda breaks up the sweetness. I like caramel with milk chocolate candies, even though I don't have them that often. When I have a craving for something really sweet, I would prefer a Praline - caramel and pecans.

I rarely eat chocolate unless it's in something. I don't eat chocolate bars except for bittersweet, also on rare occasions.

Chocolate and I have an understanding. If it doesn't come into my house i won't eat it.

And I don't buy it....

But damned if my Daughter didn't show up with an Easter basket full of it.....

i am not much of a chocoholic and will choose most other flavors over chocolate if given a choice--can enjoy a chocolate dessert or treat if that is all that is available.

But I'm back from the medical taxi run and a quick stop at the grocery store and I'm now having lunch--a banana and an absolutely decadent Russell Stover smores--and yes it does include chocolate.

I can't imagine wanting to feel good in a mind-altered way. I feel pretty good, and I can't imagine wanting to feel any better, especially if I know beforehand that it isn't even real.
And worst of all, knowing all the bad things that happen to people that use them and get hooked on them alone makes me shudder at the thought of ever using any drug - no "good feeling" is worth me giving up control of myself. And that's what happens, when people get hooked - they are no longer in control....and the way they look from continued use...it's just not worth it.

I guess I'm lucky in that even though I smoked when I was young...I gave it up cold turkey and didn't have any ill effects....never smoked or had the desire to do so again. Alcohol, I don't have it very often...maybe a glass of wine with dinner when we eat out, or a Margarita two or three times a week during the summer when we're out swimming. But, I'm not addicted to any of them, and I like that just fine.

Alcohol is as much a drug as anything else. As with most things, moderation is the key.

Of course, I imagine that is harder to do with some drugs than others, just as it is harder to do for some people than others.

However, I don't understand why the idea of something making you feel good is so strange. That it isn't 'real' is debatable; what does that actually mean? You really feel the way you feel when taking whatever the drug is. It's as real as an endorphin rush or any other naturally occurring bodily chemical.

It's the side effects that people are willing to risk/accept that I usually find strange.

Yes, I realize that alcohol is a drug, that is why I make it a point not to ever over do it. And, alcohol doesn't make me feel good enough that I want to be addicted to it to the point that it becomes the focal point in my life.

I'm not sure that drugs are as easy to "moderate" as alcohol. Even though many people get addicted to alcohol and it too, like a drug, becomes their focal point in life those addicted to drugs always seem a lot younger, which would indicate that it becomes an addiction a lot quicker....I can't say for sure. Perhaps there are many that use drugs that don't appear stunted and overcome by them, that I can't really say that everyone that uses them will end up on skid row. Studies claim that some people are more prone to addiction than others, and maybe that is the thing with me....I was able to give up smoking, no problem whatsoever, and I could probably do without a drink the rest of my life and it would not affect me at all.

Knowing what I know about drugs and what those addicted to them are willing to do to get more, I just wouldn't want to take the chance that I might become like them. It has never been a problem for me because I've never been around people that use them or have access to them (that I know of), so I wouldn't even know where to get them.

There can be another reason people turn to alcohol or drugs, self medication for an un-diagnosed medical problem. I know this because of my ex-wife. For years, I and her family thought she was an alcoholic. Every few years would pass and she'd enter a rehab facility and join AA, and she'd be ok for a while, then she'd be back on the booze. The last time she came out of rehab, she also sought psychiatric/psychological help to try and find out why she kept returning to the alcohol. They discovered that she was bi-polar. In all likelihood, she was using alcohol to self medicate during her "low" times. Probably because alcohol made her feel better. Ever since that diagnosis, she has been sober, about seven years now. Neither me (during or after our marriage) or her family ever recognized mental health problems with her because the onset of the bi-polar "lows", instantly brought about alcohol abuse. None of us realized there was another root cause to the alcohol problem.
Interestingly enough, even though she now knows the root cause, she still doesn't drink. She also remains highly active in AA.

it used to be one for me, but i kicked that habit too

I used to love Chocolate, then all of a sudden....well maybe not so sudden, I realized I didn't like it so much, after all. Now, I might have a piece or two once in a blue moon.
And, it's got to be the milk chocolate, although the dark chocolate is the one that is supposed to be so good for a person.

i have tried to cut out most things with refined sugars. that includes chocolate. sometimes it is tough to adhere to. but if the sweets aren't in the house it makes it easier.

There have been literally years in my life where I've had zero grams of refined sugar. Right now, I eat a couple of cookies, ice cream, cheesecake, when I really crave it. I must say, I still feel guilty when I eat that kind of stuff and walk a little further, work out a little more but I feel better when I let myself enjoy it.

The final exam for the semester.

Those cramming college kiddos. :)

Hehe, I spent all day today on a college campus and will do so tomorrow also. Merely some continuing education for my job.

It's funny, we were walking through the halls on our way to lunch today and one of my coworkers in the class said, "Look around alan, these kids are the future of our country. They don't look very impressive to me." He was right, they didn't look intelligent or impressive. I'm sure I didn't either, way back when I was in college and using crystal meth to keep me running. And no, I didn't see anybody that looked like they were strung out on drugs. More so, it was stupid sayings on their shirts or hoodies, boys with scraggly wanna-be beards, girls trying to get the combined earthy/sexy look, and most of them (boys and girls) looking like refugees from the hooligan camp. Just like when I was in college.

And good morning everybody. Here we are two days from May and we are under a freeze warning tonight. And Hombre and me with no heat source in the house. Isn't that loverly? But. . . .if we can tough it out the next few days, Friday is supposed to make it into the high 70's and then 80's after that. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to summer heat.

Naps for me are the 10-15 min power nap things--usually sitting up in my office chair or on the couch. But that usually does it. If I nap longer than that it usually makes me feel loggy for hours. But studies show that people who do take a 'siesta' kind of nap during the day do benefit healthwise from that.

Morning. I rarely nap but when I do, I lay down on the couch for a few minutes. I don't even fall asleep during meditation. Afraid I'm going to miss something maybe. :D

You too?? I just cannot nap...:lol: Might miss something...

If I miss anything important during a nap, somebody will tell me about it.

I find I get sleepy anywhere from 1pm to 4pm, sometimes later. If I take a nap it takes me at least an hour to recover from the nap, I'm irritable and I'm up late. Obviously I rarely take a nap.

I am the proud new partaker of cat naps. I can get under the covers and sleep during my half-hour lunch break, and wake up refreshed for having done so.

I've never been a nap sort of person. Back in my married days, taking a nap was code for an afternoon delight.:D

I don't think chocolate is a drug in fact, they're saying now that it's good for your health in some ways.

Enjoy. :D

Because it makes you happy, without side effects. ( chubby can be cute)

pour-hot-choc-400x400.jpg

Good morning all.

I'm not saying I want to be a big fatty but I do like myself a little more rounded than skinny. I have a sis who is sooo skinny. There's just nothing to her.

Besides I do like a little chocolate now and then. I'm not addicted like Sherry tho. :D

More like the occasional craving. I don't keep chocolate in the house, except once in awhile I'll bake some chocolate chip cookies. At holidays I'll indulge some...love mom's brownies. Truthfully though I prefer salty over sweets. I haven't done it in years, but I used to like popcorn with m&m's.

I like whiskey. A lot. So I have a finger of it on Christmas Eve and another on Christmas Day.

Christmas eve is my mimosa day. It's also my birthday.

How neat. I have a son born on Christmas day and he always thought he was getting cheated... when he was little. We'd have a b'day party for him (not on Christmas day but close to it) and most of his friends were gone out of town...he didn't like it. I always give him 2 gifts to make sure his birthday isn't overlooked. I think it's a special thing, so, Good for you!

You should have pointed out to your son that only special people are born on that day! :D

Christmas eve is my wedding anniversary! :)

I am the proud new partaker of cat naps. I can get under the covers and sleep during my half-hour lunch break, and wake up refreshed for having done so.

I've never been a nap sort of person. Back in my married days, taking a nap was code for an afternoon delight.:D

I'm not saying I want to be a big fatty but I do like myself a little more rounded than skinny. I have a sis who is sooo skinny. There's just nothing to her.

Besides I do like a little chocolate now and then. I'm not addicted like Sherry tho. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas eve is my mimosa day. It's also my birthday.

How neat. I have a son born on Christmas day and he always thought he was getting cheated... when he was little. We'd have a b'day party for him (not on Christmas day but close to it) and most of his friends were gone out of town...he didn't like it. I always give him 2 gifts to make sure his birthday isn't overlooked. I think it's a special thing, so, Good for you!

You should have pointed out to your son that only special people are born on that day! :D

Christmas eve is my wedding anniversary! :)

I brought my new born son home from the hospital on Christmas Day and my new born daughter home from the hospital on Christmas Eve. Both were early and we lost one in between that was due on December 28. I attribute that to having something to do with Hombre's birthday being in April. . . . .

But birthdays merged with Christmas has been a part of their lives for a very long time.

Funny, I just watched a good movie "The Road to Christmas" w/Jennifer Gray--the plot was based around her attempt to make it to Aspen where she was to marry her fiancé on Christmas Eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back