USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if kids still sing for one another. I have no children in my life, so I don't know if the old tradition still holds true. When I was little, playmates would show up in each other's back yards and sing to get them out to play. It wasn't like How Green was my Valley. The song was only two notes: C and F. "Hey Ollie!" Sung C, "hey" F "Oll" C "ie"! Just a little singing plea to get your playmate away from his Cherrios or cinnamon toast for a game of Red Rover or freeze tag.

Kids would play hand slapping games singing "Oh Billy Mack Mack Mack all dressed in black black black" or choose sides for Capture the Flag by reciting "My mother and your mother were hanging out clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose! What color was the blood?" and one kid would name a color. "Green!" G-R-E-E-N spells green and you are 'it'!"

And the game was set. Everyone knew the rules and infractions were dealt with swiftly and justly because the virtues of children include justice and fair play.

Certain alerts were sounded with certain calls. "Snow cone man!" was a favorite as soon as someone heard the jingle bells strung along the tailgate of the snow cone man's Buick station wagon. "Michael! Your Mom wants you!" was a dreaded call because that meant Michael was going home and we needed to put an imaginary man on second.

Today it seems kids are preoccupied with video games and activities that do not require other kid's participation. I hope that the virtues of fair play and justice aren't lost on this electronic generation.

As far as I know, from personal experience and probably being the youngest member of this thread, the answer is no.

When I was in school, we walked up to our friend at school, said hi, and asked if they wanted to come over during the weekend. Then we let our parents work out details.
As for games, my friends and I always went outside and played basketball, as well as found sticks or wiffleball bats and had mock swordfights that could go on for an hour. But yes, we implemented fair play. If one broke the rules, the others would gang up on them. I broke the rules a lot, seeing as how I could easily destroy all of them at once in a swordfight, soooo...... :lol:

But I do not believe kids have many friends over at once. Generally it is just one or occasionally two. Several for birthdays and such.

STILL no freaking surgery!! Now the stupid doctors are saying that because dad has been fasting, he isn't in any pain and therefore doesn't need his gallbladder removed. Are they so stupid that they don't know that as soon as he starts to eat again, he will be in pain once more?

IDIOTS!!!!

They are saying now that they will take the organ out in the next six weeks or sooner. Basically, they want to send him home and make him come back again when it gives him trouble!

Where did these doctors get their damned degrees from?

Alcohol is as much a drug as anything else. As with most things, moderation is the key.

Of course, I imagine that is harder to do with some drugs than others, just as it is harder to do for some people than others.

However, I don't understand why the idea of something making you feel good is so strange. That it isn't 'real' is debatable; what does that actually mean? You really feel the way you feel when taking whatever the drug is. It's as real as an endorphin rush or any other naturally occurring bodily chemical.

It's the side effects that people are willing to risk/accept that I usually find strange.

Yes, I realize that alcohol is a drug, that is why I make it a point not to ever over do it. And, alcohol doesn't make me feel good enough that I want to be addicted to it to the point that it becomes the focal point in my life.

I'm not sure that drugs are as easy to "moderate" as alcohol. Even though many people get addicted to alcohol and it too, like a drug, becomes their focal point in life those addicted to drugs always seem a lot younger, which would indicate that it becomes an addiction a lot quicker....I can't say for sure. Perhaps there are many that use drugs that don't appear stunted and overcome by them, that I can't really say that everyone that uses them will end up on skid row. Studies claim that some people are more prone to addiction than others, and maybe that is the thing with me....I was able to give up smoking, no problem whatsoever, and I could probably do without a drink the rest of my life and it would not affect me at all.

Knowing what I know about drugs and what those addicted to them are willing to do to get more, I just wouldn't want to take the chance that I might become like them. It has never been a problem for me because I've never been around people that use them or have access to them (that I know of), so I wouldn't even know where to get them.

There can be another reason people turn to alcohol or drugs, self medication for an un-diagnosed medical problem. I know this because of my ex-wife. For years, I and her family thought she was an alcoholic. Every few years would pass and she'd enter a rehab facility and join AA, and she'd be ok for a while, then she'd be back on the booze. The last time she came out of rehab, she also sought psychiatric/psychological help to try and find out why she kept returning to the alcohol. They discovered that she was bi-polar. In all likelihood, she was using alcohol to self medicate during her "low" times. Probably because alcohol made her feel better. Ever since that diagnosis, she has been sober, about seven years now. Neither me (during or after our marriage) or her family ever recognized mental health problems with her because the onset of the bi-polar "lows", instantly brought about alcohol abuse. None of us realized there was another root cause to the alcohol problem.
Interestingly enough, even though she now knows the root cause, she still doesn't drink. She also remains highly active in AA.
That's an excellent post. Very interesting. There are probably many people who are abusing drugs or alcohol who may have the same mental health issue.

Just had a message from mum. I swear doctors are so freaking stupid, they keep changing their minds!

After looking at his scan AGAIN (for about the zillionth time) they have decided to operate tomorrow. I said to mum that she shouldn't get her hopes up because the bastards will probably change their minds again!

Just had a message from mum. I swear doctors are so freaking stupid, they keep changing their minds!

After looking at his scan AGAIN (for about the zillionth time) they have decided to operate tomorrow. I said to mum that she shouldn't get her hopes up because the bastards will probably change their minds again!

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
Noomi’s Dad, Auntie Marj and Nana,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Ollie's daughter Angie and son Dirk,
Wake,
Sheila’s sore foot and friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Derideo_Te, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Noomi's impending oral surgery,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
BBD's friend Otis,
Sarah
Ernie as he waits with Royce and family,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Noomi! Who the hell runs health care in Australia?

Dayum! I woke up at 8 AM with no power and no gas for the generator. Loaded up the wife and headed for the bar. Made coffee and THEN THE RAINS CAME.
Last I checked the rain gauge, were just over 14" and it's still raining.
Damed landscaping at the front of the building is holding water and letting it leak in between the brick walls and the slab. We've been mopping and sucking it up with shop vacs for hours. We've burnt out 2 shop vacs so far. My temporary roof patch has finally let go and water is dripping into a bucket on the bar.
SHIT!!! What a day!

Now while typing this, the power went out. Shutting down the lap top at 12:43 CDT. Will post this when I can.
Sent at 2:23 CDT Power back on a half hour ago. Been cleaning up more water and repairing the last shop vac.

Dayum! I woke up at 8 AM with no power and no gas for the generator. Loaded up the wife and headed for the bar. Made coffee and THEN THE RAINS CAME.
Damed landscaping at the front of the building is holding water and letting it leak in between the brick walls and the slab. We've been mopping and sucking it up with shop vacs for hours. We've burnt out 2 shop vacs so far. My temporary roof patch has finally let go and water is dripping into a bucket on the bar.
SHIT!!! What a day!

Now while typing this, the power went out. Shutting down the lap top at 12:43 CDT. Will post this when I can.
Sent at 2:23 CDT Power back on a half hour ago. Been cleaning up more water and repairing the last shop vac.

You think there's a chance you'll get any sleep at all today?

SHIT!!! What a day!

You think there's a chance you'll get any sleep at all today?

Maybe after sun-up if I can get home. Got no place but the stage to sleep. My partner fell asleep at the desk, but I'll let him be. He has to open and work 2 PM til 3AM.
We have a Domino's delivery guy stranded here, Max and his wife, our head of security and myself. Music playing in the background and the DirecTV is back on. Life is good. The company is great.

Last edited:

The government. We pay for it with our taxes so dads five day stay and surgery will be at no cost to him. It has its flaws, as you can see.

The doctors are still sure they will do the operation tomorrow. They are just trying to work out the best way to get the gallbladder out.

They cancel surgeries all the time here. I had one once where they cancelled it after my daughter drove to my city to be with me for that surgery. They never do what you want them to do and it usually isn't the fault of insurance.

It makes you a nervous wreck. Good luck with it and try to stay calm for her.

The rain has stopped and the eastern sky is lightening up. I'm going to try to make it home at sun up. James, our security guy is headed out to see if he can scrounge up some breakfast.

20.6" of rain just east of us in Lilian, AL. 16" here in Foley. My house is mid way between.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago, Foxfyre and I had a jesting conversation about Lachs (Salmon), because I told her I like to eat Lachs for breakfast, for instance:

IMG_20140430_120742_zpsffb36337.jpg

What many people might not know is that Lachs contains a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acid, which is a pretty amazing substance: it actually helps to burn fat already stored in the body. Fat is stored in our body in, well, essentially, mini-cubes, and each of those cubes has a protective sheath around it. It's not easy to burn away this sheath, but there are enyzmes in Omega-3 fat that literally bore holes into that sheath, making it a lot easier to released stored body fat into the system and use that fat as energy. Omega 3 also helps to regulate blood clotting.

If you are looking to drop a pound of two and want more energy at the beginning of your day, I can recommend trying some stuff with Omega-3 fat in it, in moderate amounts.

Here are some good Omega-3 options:

meat from animals who are grass-fed (goats, sheep, some cows)
Egg yolk
Lachs, also Carp, Trout, Flounder, Catfish, Eel, Sardines, Herring, Mackerel and Tuna-Fish.
Edamame (green soybeans)
Wild Rice (which is not a grain, but rather, officially, a grass)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

Among the fish listed, Lachs has the 4th highest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, Tuna has the highest. This is part of the reason why trainers call Tuna "Bodybuilder-Bible Food".

About 10 years ago, I moved away from sugary breakfasts to really hearty breakfasts and I think it really helped me.

If you read up on it, you will probably see the word "moderation" alot. Stuff with Omega-3 is not to replace an entire diet, but just to enhance it.

So, I'll stick with my love-affair with Lachs!!! :D
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]

What's the brown stuff under the salmon? I really don't eat salmon that much but it's ok.

I like the freshwater fish, I could eat it everyday except for the mercury. I love tuna but don't eat it frequently for the same reason. It's too bad, you find something that could be very good for you but have to watch out for something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back