USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
it used to be one for me, but i kicked that habit too

I used to love Chocolate, then all of a sudden....well maybe not so sudden, I realized I didn't like it so much, after all. Now, I might have a piece or two once in a blue moon.
And, it's got to be the milk chocolate, although the dark chocolate is the one that is supposed to be so good for a person.

i have tried to cut out most things with refined sugars. that includes chocolate. sometimes it is tough to adhere to. but if the sweets aren't in the house it makes it easier.

Tell me about it....why I don't like to take Mr Mertex to the grocery store, when I get to the register all these goodie appear out of nowhere in the basket.....still, I don't always get to sample those goodies, they are gone before I even get a desire to have some....:eek:

Been storming all day. Tornado warnings until 9. Calm, dark and eerie. [MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION] severe weather in Fayetteville.

It just started storming here. No tornado warnings just thunder and lightening.

Alcohol is as much a drug as anything else. As with most things, moderation is the key.

Of course, I imagine that is harder to do with some drugs than others, just as it is harder to do for some people than others.

However, I don't understand why the idea of something making you feel good is so strange. That it isn't 'real' is debatable; what does that actually mean? You really feel the way you feel when taking whatever the drug is. It's as real as an endorphin rush or any other naturally occurring bodily chemical.

It's the side effects that people are willing to risk/accept that I usually find strange.

Yes, I realize that alcohol is a drug, that is why I make it a point not to ever over do it. And, alcohol doesn't make me feel good enough that I want to be addicted to it to the point that it becomes the focal point in my life.

I'm not sure that drugs are as easy to "moderate" as alcohol. Even though many people get addicted to alcohol and it too, like a drug, becomes their focal point in life those addicted to drugs always seem a lot younger, which would indicate that it becomes an addiction a lot quicker....I can't say for sure. Perhaps there are many that use drugs that don't appear stunted and overcome by them, that I can't really say that everyone that uses them will end up on skid row. Studies claim that some people are more prone to addiction than others, and maybe that is the thing with me....I was able to give up smoking, no problem whatsoever, and I could probably do without a drink the rest of my life and it would not affect me at all.

Knowing what I know about drugs and what those addicted to them are willing to do to get more, I just wouldn't want to take the chance that I might become like them. It has never been a problem for me because I've never been around people that use them or have access to them (that I know of), so I wouldn't even know where to get them.

There can be another reason people turn to alcohol or drugs, self medication for an un-diagnosed medical problem. I know this because of my ex-wife. For years, I and her family thought she was an alcoholic. Every few years would pass and she'd enter a rehab facility and join AA, and she'd be ok for a while, then she'd be back on the booze. The last time she came out of rehab, she also sought psychiatric/psychological help to try and find out why she kept returning to the alcohol. They discovered that she was bi-polar. In all likelihood, she was using alcohol to self medicate during her "low" times. Probably because alcohol made her feel better. Ever since that diagnosis, she has been sober, about seven years now. Neither me (during or after our marriage) or her family ever recognized mental health problems with her because the onset of the bi-polar "lows", instantly brought about alcohol abuse. None of us realized there was another root cause to the alcohol problem.
Interestingly enough, even though she now knows the root cause, she still doesn't drink. She also remains highly active in AA.

I'm glad that your wife was finally able to figure out the cause of her tendency to return to alcohol and that she is no longer a slave to it. I guess I've never been in such a situation, so I'm not about to pass judgement. And she is strong and clever to remain in AA and to realize that probably one drink would undo all her good work. I do know that I don't want to become addicted to something that will eventually destroy me, so while I am able to control it, I will not give in to any urging no matter how beautiful or how wonderful they may claim I will feel. I've never been encouraged to try drugs, I guess my circle of friends are probably in the same boat as myself, although I've had many co-workers from previous years claim they did try drugs when they were in college, and most of them did seem to have been able to leave that behind.

Christmas eve is my mimosa day. It's also my birthday.

How neat. I have a son born on Christmas day and he always thought he was getting cheated... when he was little. We'd have a b'day party for him (not on Christmas day but close to it) and most of his friends were gone out of town...he didn't like it. I always give him 2 gifts to make sure his birthday isn't overlooked. I think it's a special thing, so, Good for you!

You should have pointed out to your son that only special people are born on that day! :D

Christmas eve is my wedding anniversary! :)

I did...I'm sure, but to a 6 year old, only having a handful of his friends show up for his party because everyone else went out of town is not "special." He survived...:) I should point out that I always thought it was special that he was born on Christmas Day....he wasn't due till the next month.

Last edited:
How neat. I have a son born on Christmas day and he always thought he was getting cheated... when he was little. We'd have a b'day party for him (not on Christmas day but close to it) and most of his friends were gone out of town...he didn't like it. I always give him 2 gifts to make sure his birthday isn't overlooked. I think it's a special thing, so, Good for you!

You should have pointed out to your son that only special people are born on that day! :D

I brought my new born son home from the hospital on Christmas Day and my new born daughter home from the hospital on Christmas Eve. Both were early and we lost one in between that was due on December 28. I attribute that to having something to do with Hombre's birthday being in April. . . . .

But birthdays merged with Christmas has been a part of their lives for a very long time.

Funny, I just watched a good movie "The Road to Christmas" w/Jennifer Gray--the plot was based around her attempt to make it to Aspen where she was to marry her fiancé on Christmas Eve.

Did you give them "combined" parties? I always thought it was a lot of work to plan a birthday party, to have more than one in the same month must be extra hard...:eek:

have-a-sweet-dreams-good-night-quote.jpg

I used to love Chocolate, then all of a sudden....well maybe not so sudden, I realized I didn't like it so much, after all. Now, I might have a piece or two once in a blue moon.
And, it's got to be the milk chocolate, although the dark chocolate is the one that is supposed to be so good for a person.

i have tried to cut out most things with refined sugars. that includes chocolate. sometimes it is tough to adhere to. but if the sweets aren't in the house it makes it easier.

Tell me about it....why I don't like to take Mr Mertex to the grocery store, when I get to the register all these goodie appear out of nowhere in the basket.....still, I don't always get to sample those goodies, they are gone before I even get a desire to have some....:eek:
I won't buy it for myself. if it was in the house, I'm al over it. luckily my wife has really strong will power and won't buy it.

I wonder if kids still sing for one another. I have no children in my life, so I don't know if the old tradition still holds true. When I was little, playmates would show up in each other's back yards and sing to get them out to play. It wasn't like How Green was my Valley. The song was only two notes: C and F. "Hey Ollie!" Sung C, "hey" F "Oll" C "ie"! Just a little singing plea to get your playmate away from his Cherrios or cinnamon toast for a game of Red Rover or freeze tag.

Kids would play hand slapping games singing "Oh Billy Mack Mack Mack all dressed in black black black" or choose sides for Capture the Flag by reciting "My mother and your mother were hanging out clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose! What color was the blood?" and one kid would name a color. "Green!" G-R-E-E-N spells green and you are 'it'!"

And the game was set. Everyone knew the rules and infractions were dealt with swiftly and justly because the virtues of children include justice and fair play.

Certain alerts were sounded with certain calls. "Snow cone man!" was a favorite as soon as someone heard the jingle bells strung along the tailgate of the snow cone man's Buick station wagon. "Michael! Your Mom wants you!" was a dreaded call because that meant Michael was going home and we needed to put an imaginary man on second.

Today it seems kids are preoccupied with video games and activities that do not require other kid's participation. I hope that the virtues of fair play and justice aren't lost on this electronic generation.

I wonder if kids still sing for one another. I have no children in my life, so I don't know if the old tradition still holds true. When I was little, playmates would show up in each other's back yards and sing to get them out to play. It wasn't like How Green was my Valley. The song was only two notes: C and F. "Hey Ollie!" Sung C, "hey" F "Oll" C "ie"! Just a little singing plea to get your playmate away from his Cherrios or cinnamon toast for a game of Red Rover or freeze tag.

Kids would play hand slapping games singing "Oh Billy Mack Mack Mack all dressed in black black black" or choose sides for Capture the Flag by reciting "My mother and your mother were hanging out clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose! What color was the blood?" and one kid would name a color. "Green!" G-R-E-E-N spells green and you are 'it'!"

And the game was set. Everyone knew the rules and infractions were dealt with swiftly and justly because the virtues of children include justice and fair play.

Certain alerts were sounded with certain calls. "Snow cone man!" was a favorite as soon as someone heard the jingle bells strung along the tailgate of the snow cone man's Buick station wagon. "Michael! Your Mom wants you!" was a dreaded call because that meant Michael was going home and we needed to put an imaginary man on second.

Today it seems kids are preoccupied with video games and activities that do not require other kid's participation. I hope that the virtues of fair play and justice aren't lost on this electronic generation.

There are some parents who still push their kids out the door and force them to experience such joys of childhood...some worry and feel more secure having their kids where they can see and keep them safe. There were always boogeymen lurking in the shadows, but now parents are bombarded with the 24 hour news cycle of all the monsters on the loose.

I brought my new born son home from the hospital on Christmas Day and my new born daughter home from the hospital on Christmas Eve. Both were early and we lost one in between that was due on December 28. I attribute that to having something to do with Hombre's birthday being in April. . . . .

But birthdays merged with Christmas has been a part of their lives for a very long time.

Funny, I just watched a good movie "The Road to Christmas" w/Jennifer Gray--the plot was based around her attempt to make it to Aspen where she was to marry her fiancé on Christmas Eve.

Did you give them "combined" parties? I always thought it was a lot of work to plan a birthday party, to have more than one in the same month must be extra hard...:eek:

When they were young, we did arrange separate celebrations/parties for each. But once they got to a certain age they were good with combining them. Our son usually elected to share a birthday with his sister since hers came earliest. :)

I won't buy it for myself. if it was in the house, I'm al over it. luckily my wife has really strong will power and won't buy it.
That's a good strategy. Mrs. Jughead also takes care of the groceries in our home in order to avoid me buying loads of snacks and goodies. Problem though is homemade goodies, especially pies. No matter how many pies she makes, they usually don't last 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back