USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago, Foxfyre and I had a jesting conversation about Lachs (Salmon), because I told her I like to eat Lachs for breakfast, for instance:

IMG_20140430_120742_zpsffb36337.jpg

What many people might not know is that Lachs contains a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acid, which is a pretty amazing substance: it actually helps to burn fat already stored in the body. Fat is stored in our body in, well, essentially, mini-cubes, and each of those cubes has a protective sheath around it. It's not easy to burn away this sheath, but there are enyzmes in Omega-3 fat that literally bore holes into that sheath, making it a lot easier to released stored body fat into the system and use that fat as energy. Omega 3 also helps to regulate blood clotting.

If you are looking to drop a pound of two and want more energy at the beginning of your day, I can recommend trying some stuff with Omega-3 fat in it, in moderate amounts.

Here are some good Omega-3 options:

meat from animals who are grass-fed (goats, sheep, some cows)
Egg yolk
Lachs, also Carp, Trout, Flounder, Catfish, Eel, Sardines, Herring, Mackerel and Tuna-Fish.
Edamame (green soybeans)
Wild Rice (which is not a grain, but rather, officially, a grass)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

Among the fish listed, Lachs has the 4th highest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, Tuna has the highest. This is part of the reason why trainers call Tuna "Bodybuilder-Bible Food".

About 10 years ago, I moved away from sugary breakfasts to really hearty breakfasts and I think it really helped me.

If you read up on it, you will probably see the word "moderation" alot. Stuff with Omega-3 is not to replace an entire diet, but just to enhance it.

So, I'll stick with my love-affair with Lachs!!! :D
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]
I enjoy smoked salmon as well, usually as an appetizer. However I know that smoked foods are not the greatest for our lungs, so I always have coleslaw salad afterwards as part of my main course. It is supposed to help wash down the smoked salmon from the lungs. Pickles work also.

A couple of weeks ago, Foxfyre and I had a jesting conversation about Lachs (Salmon), because I told her I like to eat Lachs for breakfast, for instance:

What many people might not know is that Lachs contains a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acid, which is a pretty amazing substance: it actually helps to burn fat already stored in the body. Fat is stored in our body in, well, essentially, mini-cubes, and each of those cubes has a protective sheath around it. It's not easy to burn away this sheath, but there are enyzmes in Omega-3 fat that literally bore holes into that sheath, making it a lot easier to released stored body fat into the system and use that fat as energy. Omega 3 also helps to regulate blood clotting.

If you are looking to drop a pound of two and want more energy at the beginning of your day, I can recommend trying some stuff with Omega-3 fat in it, in moderate amounts.

Egg yolk
Lachs, also Carp, Trout, Flounder, Catfish, Eel, Sardines, Herring, Mackerel and Tuna-Fish.
Edamame (green soybeans)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

Among the fish listed, Lachs has the 4th highest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, Tuna has the highest. This is part of the reason why trainers call Tuna "Bodybuilder-Bible Food".

About 10 years ago, I moved away from sugary breakfasts to really hearty breakfasts and I think it really helped me.

If you read up on it, you will probably see the word "moderation" alot. Stuff with Omega-3 is not to replace an entire diet, but just to enhance it.

I enjoy smoked salmon as well, usually as an appetizer. However I know that smoked foods are not the greatest for our lungs, so I always have coleslaw salad afterwards as part of my main course. It is supposed to help wash down the smoked salmon from the lungs. Pickles work also.

That's good to know. With the mercury issue, take vitamin C.

What's the brown stuff under the salmon? I really don't eat salmon that much but it's ok.

I like the freshwater fish, I could eat it everyday except for the mercury. I love tuna but don't eat it frequently for the same reason. It's too bad, you find something that could be very good for you but have to watch out for something like that.
Wild Alaskan Salmon is quite tasty when grilled, and very healthy. It's high in Omega 3. Good news is it's mercury risk is very low. I stay away from farmed salmon as I don't trust what they feed them.

This category includes our recommended best-choice seafood when it comes to avoidance of mercury. Wild-caught Alaskan and Pacific Coast salmon are found here, together with Pacific scallops, shrimp, oysters, clams, mussels, herring, and anchovies. We recommend this category for several meals per week. As you can see, two types of salmon (wild-caught Alaskan salmon and wild-caught Pacific salmon) are included in this very low risk category.

As you can see from our four level rating system, wild-caught salmon achieves our "very low" mercury rating provided that they are caught in waters outside of Alaska or along the Pacific coast of the United States (offshore from California, Oregon, and Washington). Wild-caught Atlantic salmon achieves the next best rating of "low." We only recommend farmed salmon if they have been organically farmed. Even though we have not yet seen data on the mercury content of organically farmed salmon, we are confident that this type of salmon will achieve our "very low" mercury rating.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=116

Egg yolk
Edamame (green soybeans)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

That's good to know. With the mercury issue, take vitamin C.
That is really good to know. I love swordfish steak, but eat it very sparingly due to it's very high risk of mercury. So it looks like I'll need to start eating a couple of oranges afterwards.

Egg yolk
Edamame (green soybeans)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

But I don't want to eat any of that! :puke3:

So this morning I was supposed to go to PT for my back but when the alarm went off at 5:15 am I turned it off but simply could not summon the energy to get up and get going.

When I arrived home yesterday Mrs Te was feeling under the weather and so was Miss Te. I gather that I have fallen victim to whatever virus they are sharing. :(

Today I am going to take it easy. At least I am current workwise so that helps. I will try tidying up the lose ends and just do mindless paperwork.

Happy hump day to everyone! :)

Egg yolk
Edamame (green soybeans)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

I love salmon. My favorite way to cook it is with olive oil in a pan. Sear the flesh side until it is crispy brown then flip it over onto the skin. As soon as the skin starts to crisp I take it off and clean off the liver since that reduces the mercury risk and then crisp the underside until it is brown too. The end result is a like having batter fried fish without the batter and it is much tastier. For flavorings I add sea salt, pepper and lemon.

I also take the skin and crisp that in the pan too. Probably not something that everyone would enjoy but crispy salmon skin is a treat in my opinion. I enjoy salmon and tuna sushi too.

I wonder if kids still sing for one another. I have no children in my life, so I don't know if the old tradition still holds true. When I was little, playmates would show up in each other's back yards and sing to get them out to play. It wasn't like How Green was my Valley. The song was only two notes: C and F. "Hey Ollie!" Sung C, "hey" F "Oll" C "ie"! Just a little singing plea to get your playmate away from his Cherrios or cinnamon toast for a game of Red Rover or freeze tag.

Kids would play hand slapping games singing "Oh Billy Mack Mack Mack all dressed in black black black" or choose sides for Capture the Flag by reciting "My mother and your mother were hanging out clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose! What color was the blood?" and one kid would name a color. "Green!" G-R-E-E-N spells green and you are 'it'!"

And the game was set. Everyone knew the rules and infractions were dealt with swiftly and justly because the virtues of children include justice and fair play.

Certain alerts were sounded with certain calls. "Snow cone man!" was a favorite as soon as someone heard the jingle bells strung along the tailgate of the snow cone man's Buick station wagon. "Michael! Your Mom wants you!" was a dreaded call because that meant Michael was going home and we needed to put an imaginary man on second.

Today it seems kids are preoccupied with video games and activities that do not require other kid's participation. I hope that the virtues of fair play and justice aren't lost on this electronic generation.

As far as I know, from personal experience and probably being the youngest member of this thread, the answer is no.

When I was in school, we walked up to our friend at school, said hi, and asked if they wanted to come over during the weekend. Then we let our parents work out details.
As for games, my friends and I always went outside and played basketball, as well as found sticks or wiffleball bats and had mock swordfights that could go on for an hour. But yes, we implemented fair play. If one broke the rules, the others would gang up on them. I broke the rules a lot, seeing as how I could easily destroy all of them at once in a swordfight, soooo...... :lol:

But I do not believe kids have many friends over at once. Generally it is just one or occasionally two. Several for birthdays and such.
Maybe because we were all Baby Boomers making that BOOM at the same time. My neighborhood was crawling with kids! There was Scouting for both boys and girls. There was Little League baseball for boys only at that time. But there were not soccer teams and dance studios and martial arts dojos. Kids had to be inventive, which is a real joy for kids.

WE built forts in the wooded ravine behind the Big House. We could commandeer supplies from the neighbors. If they were building shelves for the basement, we had siding. If they were building a garden shed and had left over shingles, we had roofing. No angle was square on our forts because tools were limited to an old hammer and a screw driver, no levels and we did not understand the concept of the plumb bob.

Girls skipped jump ropes and sang their own songs, creating routines to enjoy hopping up and down. Hop Scotch was popular and the chalked outlines of a hop scotch court were visible on the pavement. Bicycles were not mere transportation, but took on the personality of their owners as extra decals from models festooned the frames of the bike.

Parents rarely got involved in any arrangement for playtime. For all our seeming informality as children, there was a pecking order and cliques. One of the vices of children is jealousy and cattiness. But we managed to make our own fun. We told legends about the boogeyman, but deep down, only the littlest kids ever believed them. We were safe and probably overseen more than we knew by attentive Moms.

So this morning I was supposed to go to PT for my back but when the alarm went off at 5:15 am I turned it off but simply could not summon the energy to get up and get going.

When I arrived home yesterday Mrs Te was feeling under the weather and so was Miss Te. I gather that I have fallen victim to whatever virus they are sharing. :(

Today I am going to take it easy. At least I am current workwise so that helps. I will try tidying up the lose ends and just do mindless paperwork.

Happy hump day to everyone! :)

I've been feeling sick for the past three days. Sore throat, swollen glands. Feeling a little better today, I didn't go to the doctor for it, just took advil, gargled with warm salt water and didn't go out much at all.

Take care De.

How neat. I have a son born on Christmas day and he always thought he was getting cheated... when he was little. We'd have a b'day party for him (not on Christmas day but close to it) and most of his friends were gone out of town...he didn't like it. I always give him 2 gifts to make sure his birthday isn't overlooked. I think it's a special thing, so, Good for you!

You should have pointed out to your son that only special people are born on that day! :D

Christmas eve is my wedding anniversary! :)

I did...I'm sure, but to a 6 year old, only having a handful of his friends show up for his party because everyone else went out of town is not "special." He survived...:) I should point out that I always thought it was special that he was born on Christmas Day....he wasn't due till the next month.

Hey, at least you had a party. My folks never did. I started playing the Clarinet in elementary school. In high school band I went to my mom and asked her if we could rent a "professional" clarinet now and that's when she told me they'd bought my clarinet and planned on giving it to me at my unbirthday party which they never had. Apparently it had been mine for years.

The worst year for me was my senior year in high school. I got a combination birthday/Christmas/graduation present. It was a sewing machine. All the other kids got luggage for graduation. I guess my parents didn't want me to leave home.

How neat. I have a son born on Christmas day and he always thought he was getting cheated... when he was little. We'd have a b'day party for him (not on Christmas day but close to it) and most of his friends were gone out of town...he didn't like it. I always give him 2 gifts to make sure his birthday isn't overlooked. I think it's a special thing, so, Good for you!

You should have pointed out to your son that only special people are born on that day! :D

Christmas eve is my wedding anniversary! :)

I did...I'm sure, but to a 6 year old, only having a handful of his friends show up for his party because everyone else went out of town is not "special." He survived...:) I should point out that I always thought it was special that he was born on Christmas Day....he wasn't due till the next month.

My mom told me I was the best Christmas present she ever got. My dad told me I was responsible for the worst Christmas he ever had. He was stuck at home with 3 toddlers. We were in England and a lot of our presents had been mailed from home. I guess my brother and sisters got up around 3 am and opened all their presents. My dad didn't know who got what from whom. All the thank you notes that year read simply "Thank you for the Christmas gift".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back