USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
County Road 99 12 miles east of me in Lilian, AL:

10156051_10152364587402500_6932107036030935922_n.jpg

South Pecan St. Foley. About a mile east of the bar:

10273741_869079286451615_1582203212112987611_n.jpg

Jeezus, your roads are falling apart down there.
Yup more at www.facebook.com/WKRG.news.5

What's the brown stuff under the salmon? I really don't eat salmon that much but it's ok.

I like the freshwater fish, I could eat it everyday except for the mercury. I love tuna but don't eat it frequently for the same reason. It's too bad, you find something that could be very good for you but have to watch out for something like that.
Wild Alaskan Salmon is quite tasty when grilled, and very healthy. It's high in Omega 3. Good news is it's mercury risk is very low. I stay away from farmed salmon as I don't trust what they feed them.

This category includes our recommended best-choice seafood when it comes to avoidance of mercury. Wild-caught Alaskan and Pacific Coast salmon are found here, together with Pacific scallops, shrimp, oysters, clams, mussels, herring, and anchovies. We recommend this category for several meals per week. As you can see, two types of salmon (wild-caught Alaskan salmon and wild-caught Pacific salmon) are included in this very low risk category.

As you can see from our four level rating system, wild-caught salmon achieves our "very low" mercury rating provided that they are caught in waters outside of Alaska or along the Pacific coast of the United States (offshore from California, Oregon, and Washington). Wild-caught Atlantic salmon achieves the next best rating of "low." We only recommend farmed salmon if they have been organically farmed. Even though we have not yet seen data on the mercury content of organically farmed salmon, we are confident that this type of salmon will achieve our "very low" mercury rating.

How safe is salmon with respect to mercury?

Considering Fukishima, I won't eat anything out of the pacific right now.

I love salmon. My favorite way to cook it is with olive oil in a pan. Sear the flesh side until it is crispy brown then flip it over onto the skin. As soon as the skin starts to crisp I take it off and clean off the liver since that reduces the mercury risk and then crisp the underside until it is brown too. The end result is a like having batter fried fish without the batter and it is much tastier. For flavorings I add sea salt, pepper and lemon.

I also take the skin and crisp that in the pan too. Probably not something that everyone would enjoy but crispy salmon skin is a treat in my opinion. I enjoy salmon and tuna sushi too.

Crispy skin....mmmmmmmmm

Steelhead trout is a great substitute for salmon, I actually prefer it and prepare it the same way. Had some last night

Baked-Steelhead-Trout-Fillet-1-13.jpg

Mornin' all, woke up to temps in the low 30s and a light dusting of snow on the ground. Sucking down massive quantities of coffee in my favorite Marvin the Martian mug........

Just had a message from mum. I swear doctors are so freaking stupid, they keep changing their minds!

After looking at his scan AGAIN (for about the zillionth time) they have decided to operate tomorrow. I said to mum that she shouldn't get her hopes up because the bastards will probably change their minds again!

Positive vibes for a good outcome for your Dad, Noomi! :smiliehug:

Noomi! Who the hell runs health care in Australia?

Dayum! I woke up at 8 AM with no power and no gas for the generator. Loaded up the wife and headed for the bar. Made coffee and THEN THE RAINS CAME.
Last I checked the rain gauge, were just over 14" and it's still raining.
Damed landscaping at the front of the building is holding water and letting it leak in between the brick walls and the slab. We've been mopping and sucking it up with shop vacs for hours. We've burnt out 2 shop vacs so far. My temporary roof patch has finally let go and water is dripping into a bucket on the bar.
SHIT!!! What a day!

Now while typing this, the power went out. Shutting down the lap top at 12:43 CDT. Will post this when I can.
Sent at 2:23 CDT Power back on a half hour ago. Been cleaning up more water and repairing the last shop vac.

Hang in there, Ernie!

I love salmon. My favorite way to cook it is with olive oil in a pan. Sear the flesh side until it is crispy brown then flip it over onto the skin. As soon as the skin starts to crisp I take it off and clean off the liver since that reduces the mercury risk and then crisp the underside until it is brown too. The end result is a like having batter fried fish without the batter and it is much tastier. For flavorings I add sea salt, pepper and lemon.

I also take the skin and crisp that in the pan too. Probably not something that everyone would enjoy but crispy salmon skin is a treat in my opinion. I enjoy salmon and tuna sushi too.

Crispy skin....mmmmmmmmm

Steelhead trout is a great substitute for salmon, I actually prefer it and prepare it the same way. Had some last night

Baked-Steelhead-Trout-Fillet-1-13.jpg

Trout is great but I haven't had any since they closed down our local supermarket about 16 months ago. I was on 1st name terms with manager of the fish section and she would always tell me when they were getting in any of the genuine wild fish. They are supposed to be opening a new supermarket soon but so far I haven't seen any signs of that happening.

Crispy skin....mmmmmmmmm

Trout is great but I haven't had any since they closed down our local supermarket about 16 months ago. I was on 1st name terms with manager of the fish section and she would always tell me when they were getting in any of the genuine wild fish. They are supposed to be opening a new supermarket soon but so far I haven't seen any signs of that happening.
That's one relationship I envy :lol:

Mornin' all!

We're supposed to have record temps in Oaklandtown today...high 80s.

I wish I could play hookey today. :(

The weather here is cold and raining which is just as well because I am feeling too miserable to enjoy your sunshine today. :badgrin:

Mornin' all!

As are we. I can already feel it coming on and I will be out in it. :clap2: I get to put some shorts on. :D

Mornin' all!

The weather here is cold and raining which is just as well because I am feeling too miserable to enjoy your sunshine today. :badgrin:

But you are looking so fine. :) The sunshine is in your heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back