USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago, Foxfyre and I had a jesting conversation about Lachs (Salmon), because I told her I like to eat Lachs for breakfast, for instance:

IMG_20140430_120742_zpsffb36337.jpg

What many people might not know is that Lachs contains a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acid, which is a pretty amazing substance: it actually helps to burn fat already stored in the body. Fat is stored in our body in, well, essentially, mini-cubes, and each of those cubes has a protective sheath around it. It's not easy to burn away this sheath, but there are enyzmes in Omega-3 fat that literally bore holes into that sheath, making it a lot easier to released stored body fat into the system and use that fat as energy. Omega 3 also helps to regulate blood clotting.

If you are looking to drop a pound of two and want more energy at the beginning of your day, I can recommend trying some stuff with Omega-3 fat in it, in moderate amounts.

Here are some good Omega-3 options:

meat from animals who are grass-fed (goats, sheep, some cows)
Egg yolk
Lachs, also Carp, Trout, Flounder, Catfish, Eel, Sardines, Herring, Mackerel and Tuna-Fish.
Edamame (green soybeans)
Wild Rice (which is not a grain, but rather, officially, a grass)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

Among the fish listed, Lachs has the 4th highest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, Tuna has the highest. This is part of the reason why trainers call Tuna "Bodybuilder-Bible Food".

About 10 years ago, I moved away from sugary breakfasts to really hearty breakfasts and I think it really helped me.

If you read up on it, you will probably see the word "moderation" alot. Stuff with Omega-3 is not to replace an entire diet, but just to enhance it.

So, I'll stick with my love-affair with Lachs!!! :D
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]

I'm still not convinced lachs is something I want to eat. But I love trout, catfish and tuna--unfortunately with tuna you have to balance the health benefits against the possible mercury contamination. :( We do eat a lot of eggs and use canola oil pretty much exclusively. Can't afford lamb. Goat and grass fed beef is pretty hard to come by around here. So we all just do the best that we can.

:thup:

Never said people have to eat the stuff, is just a list of some possible things for people to try out. I don't eat everything on that list, but I do love Lachs! :D

Back from running errands, paying rent and utility bills, picking up stuff at Stuff Mart. It's sunny, breezy and ind in the upper 50s now so if you're in the sun and out of the wind it's quite warm. Stuff Mart had artisan breads on sale for $1, picked up a Garlic and Parmesan loaf...... guess what I had for lunch.......

Back from running errands, paying rent and utility bills, picking up stuff at Stuff Mart. It's sunny, breezy and ind in the upper 50s now so if you're in the sun and out of the wind it's quite warm. Stuff Mart had artisan breads on sale for $1, picked up a Garlic and Parmesan loaf...... guess what I had for lunch.......

Burger King? ;)

So, yeah, today's been going by a bit slowly. Today I awoke at 6am, and realized I didn't need to get up so early. Went back to bed, yet couldn't sleep, so back up to take a shower around 6:20am. Clothes were being washed and dried in the meantime, and I gave myself a nice shave. ;-) We usually take these things for granted because we're young.

Left for work at 7:30am, and arrived in 1st client's driveway at 7:40 am. It's out in the boondocks, about 5 minutes from me. Farm crops, highways, and wide open spaces as far as the eyes can see. An elder man and his wife live in a deceptively modest little house; they have a massive downstairs. He used to be a milker of cows, and ran the equipment; usually he'd get around a ton of milk each day. One time he had to deal with a bull, and it was furious with him for some reason; he mentioned that he threw a rock at the bull because it was getting ready to charge, and it snapped the bull out of it, and it walked away. I find it hard to believe, but in those times, well, that was decades ago.

The general routine is to help give him a shower, and get in all the cracks and crevices, lol. That includes helping him get his dirty clothes off, rinsing and drying him, and helping him put on clean clothes. After that we go into the living room so he can watch some Perry Mason. :D Sometimes he'll want tea, too. Other general cares include vacuuming, dishwashing, polishing the wooden framework, etc. It's pretty easy work, once you're comfortable caring for people in the most personal of ways. I used to have a shell when it came to communicating with people, but caregiving's been the practice or, uh, exposure(!) I needed to get comfy with people in general. His wife makes a damned good squash bread, too, so I bake with her at times after my shift ends.

After that I'm off to McDonald's for some Wi-Fi and documentation. Maybe a bite, too.

Now I'm at my 2nd client's home. He is in the beginning stages of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). The brunt of my experience was with ALS sufferers in the late stages, and it's one of those diseases that get me angry. All you can do is be there for them, give them the care they need, and respect them... and let them know they matter. He's able to walk and exercise etc, but we both know how this will end, and he knows I'll be there to carry him through it. Why ALS exists is beyond my comprehension, but it is ugly, cruel, and merciless. You have to... really adapt and change yourself in order to care for various clients, situations, and emergencies. If my mother were to develop the disease, I don't think I would be able to bear it.

Does anyone here have any experience with caregivers or ALS?

A couple of weeks ago, Foxfyre and I had a jesting conversation about Lachs (Salmon), because I told her I like to eat Lachs for breakfast, for instance:

What many people might not know is that Lachs contains a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acid, which is a pretty amazing substance: it actually helps to burn fat already stored in the body. Fat is stored in our body in, well, essentially, mini-cubes, and each of those cubes has a protective sheath around it. It's not easy to burn away this sheath, but there are enyzmes in Omega-3 fat that literally bore holes into that sheath, making it a lot easier to released stored body fat into the system and use that fat as energy. Omega 3 also helps to regulate blood clotting.

If you are looking to drop a pound of two and want more energy at the beginning of your day, I can recommend trying some stuff with Omega-3 fat in it, in moderate amounts.

Egg yolk
Lachs, also Carp, Trout, Flounder, Catfish, Eel, Sardines, Herring, Mackerel and Tuna-Fish.
Edamame (green soybeans)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

Among the fish listed, Lachs has the 4th highest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, Tuna has the highest. This is part of the reason why trainers call Tuna "Bodybuilder-Bible Food".

About 10 years ago, I moved away from sugary breakfasts to really hearty breakfasts and I think it really helped me.

If you read up on it, you will probably see the word "moderation" alot. Stuff with Omega-3 is not to replace an entire diet, but just to enhance it.

I'm still not convinced lachs is something I want to eat. But I love trout, catfish and tuna--unfortunately with tuna you have to balance the health benefits against the possible mercury contamination. :( We do eat a lot of eggs and use canola oil pretty much exclusively. Can't afford lamb. Goat and grass fed beef is pretty hard to come by around here. So we all just do the best that we can.

Lachs are SALMON! Who doesn't love that?

I could eat salmon everyday....but that's my inner Viking speaking.

Egg yolk
Edamame (green soybeans)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

I don't love it. There aren't many who really know how to prepare it. It can very easily be a dry piece of fish. I really don't care for it usually. I never got an answer on what the brown stuff is under the salmon.

Last edited:

I don't love it. There aren't many who really know how to prepare it. It can very easily be a dry piece of fish. I really don't care for it usually. I never got an answer on what the brown stuff is under the salmon.

I think it's a dill mustard sauce. Since you don't care for it, can I have yours?

[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] - I started with the Red Yeast Rice yesterday, thanks for the recommend. I also got some Kaneka QH.

Made note of the date so I can track how these supplements affect me.

I've been using Red Yeast Rice for the past year - it works wonderfully! And I've had no negative side effects at all. My endocrinologist recommended it - he also takes it.

Oh, yay! Good to know.

Egg yolk
Edamame (green soybeans)
Walnuts, Walnut oil
Canola oil
Flax

Can't stand salmon, no matter how it's cooked. Well, if it's Louisiana blackened I might be able to eat it.

I think it's a dill mustard sauce. Since you don't care for it, can I have yours?

Sure. It's been sitting here all morning tho.

Mornin' all!

We're supposed to have record temps in Oaklandtown today...high 80s.

I wish I could play hookey today. :(

Every now and then, when the weather is beautiful, you should call into work and tell them that on such a nice day, you are too healthy to work, so you won't make it in today.
Then you go play outdoors for the day. And by play, I mean doing whatever it is you enjoy doing outdoors.

County Road 99 12 miles east of me in Lilian, AL:

10156051_10152364587402500_6932107036030935922_n.jpg

South Pecan St. Foley. About a mile east of the bar:

10273741_869079286451615_1582203212112987611_n.jpg

Geepers! That is a major washout!

There's worse in Pensacola. but these 2 are close by here. My bridge is washed out pretty bad too. I could get the tractor across, but it will take a lot of work before the pick-up will get through.
Water was up past the floor of the chicken coop. It washed away the feed and water containers and got all the pine shavings wet. Gotta let that dry out a couple days before I can attempt to clean THAT up.
My little creek in the back yard usually has about 6" of water in it and will dry up completely at times had 7 feet of water in it at some point last night. At the worst, it got to about 6 feet from my hard wood floors.
I got home from the bar about 6:30. I did manage to get about 4 hours sleep before driving the wife to Doc's. I came home to nap, but that ain't going so well, so I think I'll recaffeinate with some fresh ground Guatemalan Estate.

Poker tonight.

Edit: I got to the coffee pot and decided I was special so I ground up some Jamaican Blue Mountain. At $50/pound, I try to make a bag last a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back