USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another image from about 10 miles North of here:

3609698_G.jpg

Damn, that's tough....sorry to see it.

I wonder if kids still sing for one another. I have no children in my life, so I don't know if the old tradition still holds true. When I was little, playmates would show up in each other's back yards and sing to get them out to play. It wasn't like How Green was my Valley. The song was only two notes: C and F. "Hey Ollie!" Sung C, "hey" F "Oll" C "ie"! Just a little singing plea to get your playmate away from his Cherrios or cinnamon toast for a game of Red Rover or freeze tag.

Kids would play hand slapping games singing "Oh Billy Mack Mack Mack all dressed in black black black" or choose sides for Capture the Flag by reciting "My mother and your mother were hanging out clothes. My mother punched your mother right in the nose! What color was the blood?" and one kid would name a color. "Green!" G-R-E-E-N spells green and you are 'it'!"

And the game was set. Everyone knew the rules and infractions were dealt with swiftly and justly because the virtues of children include justice and fair play.

Certain alerts were sounded with certain calls. "Snow cone man!" was a favorite as soon as someone heard the jingle bells strung along the tailgate of the snow cone man's Buick station wagon. "Michael! Your Mom wants you!" was a dreaded call because that meant Michael was going home and we needed to put an imaginary man on second.

Today it seems kids are preoccupied with video games and activities that do not require other kid's participation. I hope that the virtues of fair play and justice aren't lost on this electronic generation.

As far as I know, from personal experience and probably being the youngest member of this thread, the answer is no.

When I was in school, we walked up to our friend at school, said hi, and asked if they wanted to come over during the weekend. Then we let our parents work out details.
As for games, my friends and I always went outside and played basketball, as well as found sticks or wiffleball bats and had mock swordfights that could go on for an hour. But yes, we implemented fair play. If one broke the rules, the others would gang up on them. I broke the rules a lot, seeing as how I could easily destroy all of them at once in a swordfight, soooo...... :lol:

But I do not believe kids have many friends over at once. Generally it is just one or occasionally two. Several for birthdays and such.
Maybe because we were all Baby Boomers making that BOOM at the same time. My neighborhood was crawling with kids! There was Scouting for both boys and girls. There was Little League baseball for boys only at that time. But there were not soccer teams and dance studios and martial arts dojos. Kids had to be inventive, which is a real joy for kids.

WE built forts in the wooded ravine behind the Big House. We could commandeer supplies from the neighbors. If they were building shelves for the basement, we had siding. If they were building a garden shed and had left over shingles, we had roofing. No angle was square on our forts because tools were limited to an old hammer and a screw driver, no levels and we did not understand the concept of the plumb bob.

Girls skipped jump ropes and sang their own songs, creating routines to enjoy hopping up and down. Hop Scotch was popular and the chalked outlines of a hop scotch court were visible on the pavement. Bicycles were not mere transportation, but took on the personality of their owners as extra decals from models festooned the frames of the bike.

Parents rarely got involved in any arrangement for playtime. For all our seeming informality as children, there was a pecking order and cliques. One of the vices of children is jealousy and cattiness. But we managed to make our own fun. We told legends about the boogeyman, but deep down, only the littlest kids ever believed them. We were safe and probably overseen more than we knew by attentive Moms.

Scouts is still popular, I would know as I serve as a leader in my nephews' troop. Although today they do a lot of hiking and there is always a large interest in shooting stuff (Call of Duty?).
Although I do believe the nice, friendly time you described (late 50s?) no longer exists. Kids simply can't go to their neighbors and ask for supplies to build forts and stuff. Kids don't all gather together in the neighborhood to play. And more than once, my friend and I were unsupervised by my parents because they both had to work all day. Your time is gone, Nosmo, I am sorry to say.

Yay! School is all over now except posting grades. I'll have that done in short order. Perhaps now I'll have a bit more time to visit and keep up here.
Living in the land of wild salmon, I have learned to enjoy them as a culinary staple. Up here, residents can get permits to harvest between 30 and 500, depending on how much work you want to do. I do make a mean smoked salmon and know how to make gravlachs, too. I prefer my salmon fresh, though, it tastes wonderful right off the grill. If it's been frozen, it develops a more "fishy" flavor which I am not a fan of...so, either fresh or smoked for me.

I hate you. I really do. School for me doesn't end for another month.:lol:

My friend, Otis, passed away this afternoon just before 1600. He died peacefully surrounded by family and friends. He will be missed. Thank you all for your prayers and support.

Sorry for your loss BBD....I'm glad he didn't suffer, I know he meant a lot to you.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
Noomi’s Dad, Auntie Marj and Nana,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Ollie's daughter Angie and son Dirk,
Wake,
Sheila’s sore foot and friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Derideo_Te, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Noomi's impending oral surgery,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
BBD and the family of his dear friend, Otis.
Sarah
Ernie as he waits with Royce and family,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

It has been raining here for a solid 40 hours non stop and there are roads closed because of flooding. Given that I still have the flu I am going to work from home today because I don't feel up to handling the insane traffic jams.

Time for some coffee and breakfast!

Have a Happy May Day everyone.

happy_may_day_reflecting_pink_blossom.gif

Caffeineloading_zpsaee613b1.png

Good Morning, everyone, and happy May Day!

Today's celeb no. 1 drinking coffee:

e908bd85d16bfe58c1e6a02a051cccb5.jpg

That's Beyonce.

It is 3:21 am here, it is not a good morning, I haven't had any sleep yet. I hate the change. I hate insomnia and if I don't get some sleep soon, I'm going postal.

Uhhhh, [MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION], ok...

Here, try this:

:)

If I don't hear from you for a while, then we will know it worked. :D :D

Hope you get some good sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not surprising news, but yet again, dad had his surgery canceled. The people in theatre upstairs are not bothering to relay the information to downstairs until its too late, so dad was waiting to be taken upstairs, and it was half five before they bothered to notify him that yet again, surgery is canceled.
The surgeon was held up with another operation, which I guess is fair enough, but they could have let dad know as soon as possible, rather than make him wait.

Now they decide it will be tomorrow. The family is considering whether to place a bet on that because we don't believe it will happen.

Not surprising news, but yet again, dad had his surgery canceled. The people in theatre upstairs are not bothering to relay the information to downstairs until its too late, so dad was waiting to be taken upstairs, and it was half five before they bothered to notify him that yet again, surgery is canceled.
The surgeon was held up with another operation, which I guess is fair enough, but they could have let dad know as soon as possible, rather than make him wait.

Now they decide it will be tomorrow. The family is considering whether to place a bet on that because we don't believe it will happen.

That sucks. Such things don't happen hardly ever in Gemany.

Scheduled = scheduled.

Caffeineloading_zpsaee613b1.png

Good Morning, everyone, and happy May Day!

Today's celeb no. 1 drinking coffee:

e908bd85d16bfe58c1e6a02a051cccb5.jpg

That's Beyonce.

It is 3:21 am here, it is not a good morning, I haven't had any sleep yet. I hate the change. I hate insomnia and if I don't get some sleep soon, I'm going postal.

While you are up and going postal could you deliver some mail for me, Sheila? :badgrin:

Sorry, just my gallows sense of humor escapes from lockdown occasionally. The hounds are tracking it down as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back