USMB Coffee Shop IV

Dang Spoonman, you're lucky that Bear got the urge to go pee, he might have come after you and made supper out of you.

i come across these guys fairly often. rarely are they aggressive. most of the time when they sense a human they take off. especially if they are in the open or around developed areas. only once have i seen then get aggressive. last year a bear ws in our neighbors garbage and he wasn't moving. i was trying to walk out my driveway heading to the bus stop and it was up on its hind legs growling an even charging at me. but it was protection its food source. in the woods i have seen them more aggresive. its like they know there territory. I've had bears stalking me hiking. they never actually came after me but have followed me for miles. at camp, if you are careless with food, bears will always be aggressive if they are in the area.

When we lived in NH, there was a great big area behind our house and other homes that was nothing but woods. There were trails and it was really peaceful and quiet. I used to walk our Siberian Husky, Czar, back there all the time until some local (friend of ours) told me a brown bear had been spotted in a nearbyt area....I totally believed him and was not about to go back there. Later I found out the area where the bear was spotted was far from where we were....I did not want to be anywhere near it, though.
Beautiful NH! When we visited several New England States, I enjoyed NH the most for 2 reasons: perfect highways, well marked throughout the areas we traveled, and oh, those red maples. I went home and made half a dozen red maple log cabin quilts. The sights in early October were nothing short of joyous when we went, and small lakes along the way reflected all that glory. *sigh*

Yes, I know Pogo meant trim....owners can definitely trim cat's claws, not sure that it will keep him from climbing. But Ringel said de-claw, and yes, I know that has to be done professionally, and most Shelters frown on declawing.

Debilitating Practice
Something I wish more American veterinarians would counsel their human clients about is de-clawing cats. It is a practice seen as diabolical in other nations, it's only practiced in the US. This is not a procedure akin to cutting our nails. It's an operation that cuts off the end of the cat's paws - akin to having our fingers cut off past their first knuckle. It is, to a degree, debilitating.

Once declawed, the cat cannot live around other animals because it does not have its front claws for defense, nor can it be let outside for the same reason. Further, it can't climb trees or do other activities natural to our feline friends.

Declawing As Seen by a Shelter Volunteer

Mystic is strictly an indoor cat. We had her front declawed because she was out of control with the things. Other than anger about no longer being able to climb the curtains she doesn't miss them at all. Our previous cat didn't seem to think she'd been declawed, she continued to "scratch" the furniture whenever we didn't feed her upon demand.

Keep in mind neither was/is an outdoor cat. Very strictly indoors.

i come across these guys fairly often. rarely are they aggressive. most of the time when they sense a human they take off. especially if they are in the open or around developed areas. only once have i seen then get aggressive. last year a bear ws in our neighbors garbage and he wasn't moving. i was trying to walk out my driveway heading to the bus stop and it was up on its hind legs growling an even charging at me. but it was protection its food source. in the woods i have seen them more aggresive. its like they know there territory. I've had bears stalking me hiking. they never actually came after me but have followed me for miles. at camp, if you are careless with food, bears will always be aggressive if they are in the area.

When we lived in NH, there was a great big area behind our house and other homes that was nothing but woods. There were trails and it was really peaceful and quiet. I used to walk our Siberian Husky, Czar, back there all the time until some local (friend of ours) told me a brown bear had been spotted in a nearbyt area....I totally believed him and was not about to go back there. Later I found out the area where the bear was spotted was far from where we were....I did not want to be anywhere near it, though.
Beautiful NH! When we visited several New England States, I enjoyed NH the most for 2 reasons: perfect highways, well marked throughout the areas we traveled, and oh, those red maples. I went home and made half a dozen red maple log cabin quilts. The sights in early October were nothing short of joyous when we went, and small lakes along the way reflected all that glory. *sigh*

I have to admit, NH was probably the most beautiful place I have ever lived, like living in a Christmas card, especially in the winter. But, it is so cold....this Texas gal just couldn't handle one more year of 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.

Sometimes I forget to count my blessings. Came across a sad situation today. Came out of Food Lion and was parked next to a lady that had to be in her 80's. She said young man can you give me a jump? Told her I didn't have cables. She said I do. So I gave her a jump. She said I feel bad because I have to get a jump every where I go. My battery went dead a couple days ago and I can't afford a new one. Had to get some groceries. I told her to follow me to Advance Auto Parts and I bought her a battery. She cried and blessed me over and over. I'm not tooting my own horn. I should have done more. It was a good reminder that there are hurting people out there and I need to pay better attention.

Tikkun Olam, bro, Tikkun Olam.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Marg’s mom,
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Blackhawk’s mom,
Newby's mom,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Meister and his mom,
Testarosa
Drake's injured friend,
PixieStix's sister,
Hollie's stepdad,
Coyote's father-in-law,
Spoonie, Ringel, Sheila, and 007's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Avg-Joe & furry companion Boo
Pix,
Becki!!! and Becki’s hubby,
Smilebong for his brother-in-law and family,
Sheila and Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and cousin,
Ringel and his family in transition and post surgery healing for Mrs. Ringel
Grandma and family dealing with death of extended family member,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Ollie's daughter Angie and his youngest brother,
Stat's aunt,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Bigfoot, Oddball, and Sunshine.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

I am rather narcissistic.:D

A narcissistic 60 year old.

CR says that he is 15. :) Not unusual to be self absorbed at that age. That he is reading puts him ahead of his peers in my opinion. But then I am biased because I am a library trustee. :D

We disagree, Deri. 15 yr. olds are more insecure than anything. I never believe anyone younger than say their 30s would be interested in this bunch, and by bunch, I am including myself.

I took this photo just after 5pm tonight. I was waiting outside the dojo, saw the sky, and immediately pulled out my camera:

10464378_10203079147554285_9094174738748605427_n.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but I love the light mixture of pinks, blues, and purples. Very subtle, but beautiful.

Today is National Iced Tea Day. It is my preferred drink in the hot summer months (when alcoholic beverages are not an option).

006.jpg

I bet that would also go well with the leftovers from yesterday's Spaghetti Bolognese!!

Unfortunately, the Tiramisu is all gone....:eusa_whistle:
Iced Tea goes great with any food, in my opinion. Tiramisu would have been great with breakfast, goes well with espresso coffee.

You're quite fortunate, Stat. I hear in Germany you can have alcoholic beverages with lunch while at work. In fact some cafeterias have beer on tap for it's employees. I can tell you that if they did that where I work, no one would have lunch, everyone would be lining up solely for the beer.

Forum List

Back