USMB Coffee Shop IV

Absolutely. Would you believe some of the best bagels in the world are made and sold by Dunkin' donuts? Also Costco has its own brand of bagels that are absolutely excellent. I know that probably offends the cultural sensibilities of a lot of us, but I am quite a connoisseur and have to admit they won out in a blind taste test.

There is one of these "The Great American Bagel Bakery" on the ground floor of my building. I'm not a connoisseur, but they seem pretty good to me. I don't usually buy the sandwiches, but I will buy a variety of six for a special price, and then use them with toppings of my own design.
Maybe it's the salt air, maybe it's a better recipe, maybe it's the therapeutic good that a bagel provides in a stressful atmosphere, but the New York bagel is a superior bagel. I've eaten them in all the east coast cities except Washington, D.C. I've eaten them throughout the Midwest. I've even noshed on a bagel or two in central Europe. Nowhere but in Brooklyn or Manhattan can anyone find the absolute best bagels.

I'm not tipping my hat to Gotham so far as every food is concerned. Our heroes blow away those found on the gritty streets of New York and our cheesecake rivals any found east of the Hudson. But bagels, pizza and the hash browns served at NYC diners are the best this planet has to offer.

Knishes are an acquired taste and because I'm not able to eat the cheese in them makes me skeptical about how good they really are. Nathan's hot dogs are good, but not $3.50 a piece good, plus I can buy them in the grocery store. Egg creams have their charms, but how can you screw up seltzer, chocolate syrup and milk?

Oh, I dunno. Einstein's Bagels in Hamburg and also in Köln are pretty darned like the best out there!!!

Now, I recommend you get into a plane, come here and test those bagels out!!

:lol:

Well, no it isn't but sheesh. Surely there's nothing in the code or whatever that says you can't enjoy Hamantaschen at other times too? Or is it like Easter hot cross buns that just don't seem right at any other time?

[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION]

Yes, this is a hot-cross-buns moment. Kinda.

Haman was, for lack of a better word, the Hitler of his time. Usually I don't go Godwin, but here it is indeed appropriate.

At Purim, we celebrate escaping his plans for our genocide and his downfall by the very weapon he planned to use on us (hanging in the gallows) - and for the triangular shaped sweets called "Hamantaschen", there are a number of possible reasons, ranging from the kind of hat he supposedly wore, to Esther's strength and the three great forefathers of Judisam (Avraham, Yitzak, Yaakov). In Hebrew, Hamantaschen are called "Osne Haman" (the ears of Haman). Though they are delicious, most Jews really do wait until Purim to go crazy with them :D

But for me, it's no big deal. The ( :eusa_shhh: ) was meant in jest.

So, :eusa_shhh:

:rofl:

If you want a treat to be associated with a particular time of year, you shouldn't make them so damn good :tongue:

That's what Nosmo left out about Manhattan -- you can get hamantaschen every day.

If I wasn't sworn off of wheat I'd be running after that Costco package by now...

LOL

You, me and Jughead: the food connoisers of USMB.

I am officially the most baffling thing in the family.
I was reading a book while I was waiting for some family members to show up for a get-together. My grandma walked in and saw me reading, so she asked what it was. I held it up and replied, "The US Army/ Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual." She asked what it was about, and I said how to deal with insurgency. Of course, no one understood that word. So I went back to my room, put it away, grabbed my Kindle, and went back out. I turned that on and started reading. My aunt and uncle walked over and asked what I was reading. I replied, "The Art of War by Sun Tzu." After that, my family said they didn't understand me at all.
Is reading those type of books really unusual?

You're 15? Put that shit down and get a life......

Life is overrated. :lol:

Seriously though, is it wrong to enjoy reading stuff like that?

At 15? Yes.....You have years to read that kind of stuff, get out and find yourself a hobby, chase girls, learn to dance...anything......

I am officially the most baffling thing in the family.
I was reading a book while I was waiting for some family members to show up for a get-together. My grandma walked in and saw me reading, so she asked what it was. I held it up and replied, "The US Army/ Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual." She asked what it was about, and I said how to deal with insurgency. Of course, no one understood that word. So I went back to my room, put it away, grabbed my Kindle, and went back out. I turned that on and started reading. My aunt and uncle walked over and asked what I was reading. I replied, "The Art of War by Sun Tzu." After that, my family said they didn't understand me at all.
Is reading those type of books really unusual?

Seriously though, is it wrong to enjoy reading stuff like that? My mom has already said that if I won't become a priest, she will pretty much force me into the military.

No one can force you into the military. Fact is it is getting more difficult to get into the military. Not that I would stop anyone from joining. But you have 3 years to worry about that........

taken with my cellphone. i heard a noise behind me, turned around and this guy was heading back into the woods.

3-090614130716.jpeg

Does a bear shit in the woods?? Well I would if I saw that!!:eek: Seriously, my knees would buckle and I'd just give up and let him eat me.

If you want a treat to be associated with a particular time of year, you shouldn't make them so damn good :tongue:

That's what Nosmo left out about Manhattan -- you can get hamantaschen every day.

If I wasn't sworn off of wheat I'd be running after that Costco package by now...
Yeah, those sweet little triangles are not exclusive to Purim here in Pittsburgh either. But paczki, little Polish donuts pronounced 'punchkey' can't be had here until Lent. In spite of Pittsburgh's overwhelmingly large Polish population, they reserve those powdered sugar covered pastries for the Spring.

I bet they'd be more available in Chicaaaaaaaago though.

Are you making fun of my accent??:doubt:

Seriously though, is it wrong to enjoy reading stuff like that? My mom has already said that if I won't become a priest, she will pretty much force me into the military.

No one can force you into the military. Fact is it is getting more difficult to get into the military. Not that I would stop anyone from joining. But you have 3 years to worry about that........

My mom wanted me to be a priest........ I joined the military instead....... Can anyone here see me as a priest........? :lol:

The trip to Great Lakes to pick up medication refills was just awful! All of the road work made the normal 3 hour drive a 4 hour drive. Lunch where we normally have it was really bad today. Was going to buy an iPad for Mrs. BBD but the Navy Exchange was completely sold out of them and waiting on the new shipment of them to come in. I did manage to pick up my meds and that was the real reason for the trip. The rest of the trip was a big old flop.

My mom wanted me to be a priest........ I joined the military instead....... Can anyone here see me as a priest........? :lol:

I have to confess...NO!!:lmao:

I have to confess...NO!!:lmao:

Being a priest would be a really cool job except for that "no sex" part.

Damn, I just made the connection, Pogo...Stats comment now has a different meaning.:redface: I really stepped in that one.:D

I was raised on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia - near the NC border. We had black bears come up in our yard all the time. Not unusual to see them. They are not bad eating if you like really stringy sweet tasting meat. After it's cooked, bear meat is very red. It's ok but I was never a great big fan of eating bear meat but I knew lots of people that did. I killed a black bear once when we were on a bear hunt.

The trip to Great Lakes to pick up medication refills was just awful! All of the road work made the normal 3 hour drive a 4 hour drive. Lunch where we normally have it was really bad today. Was going to buy an iPad for Mrs. BBD but the Navy Exchange was completely sold out of them and waiting on the new shipment of them to come in. I did manage to pick up my meds and that was the real reason for the trip. The rest of the trip was a big old flop.

I just have them shipped to me, I pick them up in my mailbox........
I do have to drive up to the Springs tomorrow for my 6 month VA appt. I'll probably be up there till Wednesday taking care of things with my dad's estate.

I just have them shipped to me, I pick them up in my mailbox........
I do have to drive up to the Springs tomorrow for my 6 month VA appt. I'll probably be up there till Wednesday taking care of things with my dad's estate.

Not a bad idea except for a couple of things. If I drive up there to get them I get them for free plus I like to shop a bit in the Navy Exchange.

I have my meds mailed.

The drive to the VA is about 8 minutes.

Only in Tyler Tx was I closer; it was an outpatient clinic.

Forum List

Back