USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ya know, when I mentioned it's a whole different world down here I didn't know how much that entailed. The wife and I still, even after three years, have a DC metro mindset, fast paced, cosmopolitan and a work culture (not government employee related) that provides everything needed to get the job done at the drop of a hat. The wife is complaining that the toner is out in the office copier...... toner was ordered 2 weeks ago..... "it should be here soon"....... She has to requisition a laptop case if she wants one, "no one else uses a case"....... She has to provide her own basic office supplies or wait a week to get them.......
Also, while Hispanics make up the majority of the population they're still mostly treated as second class citizens, even by their own people, it boggles the mind.
I've found the Latino population to be the friendliest, most respectful and most helpful group of people since coming back out west and that goes double for El Paso, especially if one at least tries to speak their language and treat them with respect.

I can see where it would be really frustrating. You're in the land of Manana. :)

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

th

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Yesterday was kinda a bust for doing anything in the house. I only had 4 hours of sleep Wednesday night (Thursday morning) and spent most of my morning at the VA clinic getting registered in the TX system and trying to get some meds that I just ran out of. I had ordered the meds to be shipped but hadn't seen them yet, was afraid they'd been returned, called the clinic in Raton and they tracked the meds, they were forwarded a couple of days ago from Trinidad so should be here today. I also went by Wally World and stocked up on groceries since we now have a working fridge/freezer so after getting home and putting all the food away I ate something, ten minutes after that I couldn't keep my eyes open and ended up taking a 3 hour nap.
Last night I called Sears for an update on when my washer will be delivered, told them it would be delivered this week or the order would be cancelled, my money returned and I would buy somewhere else....... the washer will be here Saturday......

I will be absent for a few days with some big (positive) news when I return.

Right. Tease. But we'll await impatiently for the good news.
Looks like I'm not the only one who can't seem to get to sleep....... :D
Not the only one. I took the night off from work, I still have two does due, one gave birth a few hours ago (two nice boys). While the temps are above freezing, the poor little critters come out wet and the mommas can only do so much. If the new kids' body temperatures drop too low, they will not properly digest their first meal(s). We're up to 15 new babies...

Aww....how precious...life.

TK, and TK's grandma,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,

And the light is on awaiting the return of Sheila and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

th

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

I totally miss freedombecki and think of her often. I loved her political posts. I fear the worst for her, for she would have alerted us to anything awful to which she had an awareness. :(

TK, and TK's grandma,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,

th

I totally miss freedombecki and think of her often. I loved her political posts. I fear the worst for her, for she would have alerted us to anything awful to which she had an awareness. :(

Yes me too AA. Becki hasn't posted since last July. We all knew of her severe health problems and the terrible challenge of dealing with a husband with advanced dementia, but to just drop off the map without a word, I too fear something terrible happened. And I know Sheila wasn't at all happy with the new software, etc.--most of those who left or don't come by much these days left because of that--so I'm hoping that was the case with Sheila but I would feel better about it if she had said goodbye. Same with Jughead who had been really active before POOF, he just disappeared. Some others presumably committed infractions serious enough they will not be allowed to return, but they are okay elsewhere. And Noomi is now MIA for more than a month and is in my daily prayers.

Good morning everybody. Ringel's challenges with getting stuff delivered reminded me why we don't buy from Sears, but maybe it really is the land of Manana down there and it would have been the same with anybody else. But after several really bad experiences with Sears, we don't go there anymore.

Speaking of which, you recall the saga of our refrigerator that we bought from Lowe's last fall?
First, they sold the one we bought to somebody else so they didn't deliver it to us as promised on the appointed day we requested it. So we go down and picked out another, which did get delivered very late in the same day but then we looked, after the delivery guys left, they didn't deliver the refrigerator we bought but a different brand. We liked it though and looked it up and saw that it was a slightly more expensive refrigerator than the one we bought, so we told them we would keep it. They said okay.

THEN. . . .

The charge has showed up on our credit card as a 'pending item' every month since but disappears before we can pay the bill. (We check our credit card account every day on line to make sure all charges are ours.)

As soon as we pay the charges that are on our bill, the fridge is back as a 'pending item.' We inquired at the bank--our cc is at the same bank where our account is--and they said it isn't them--that any charge would have to originate from Lowe's. We inquired at Lowe's and they said the fridge was paid for.

So we don't know what to think.

Today's question to ponder:

A bus driver was heading down a street in Colorado. He went right past a stop sign without stopping, he turned left where there was a "no left turn" sign and he went the wrong way on a one-way street. Then he went on the left side of the road past a cop car. Still - he didn't break any traffic laws. Why not?​

Friday is back to work day. I need it to rest up after my day off. We went through 20 pounds of Boston Butt here last night, had about 20 for dinner and 10 of them out to the rifle range after spending time shooting milk jugs off the deck with various pistols. We wasted about 500 rounds, hell I used up 100 .40's
I even put 5 through my Arisaka 7.7 Jap that hadn't been fired for at least 40 years. Ammo is rare these days and now runs about $1.60/round.
We mixed up the 2 pound Tannerite target and one of the guys took it out at the 50 yard mark with a .30-06. WOW! We all felt the shock wave at 50 yards and it leveled out the 3' high pile of dirt it was sitting on.

Good morning everybody. Ringel's challenges with getting stuff delivered reminded me why we don't buy from Sears, but maybe it really is the land of Manana down there and it would have been the same with anybody else. But after several really bad experiences with Sears, we don't go there anymore.

Speaking of which, you recall the saga of our refrigerator that we bought from Lowe's last fall?
First, they sold the one we bought to somebody else so they didn't deliver it to us as promised on the appointed day we requested it. So we go down and picked out another, which did get delivered very late in the same day but then we looked, after the delivery guys left, they didn't deliver the refrigerator we bought but a different brand. We liked it though and looked it up and saw that it was a slightly more expensive refrigerator than the one we bought, so we told them we would keep it. They said okay.

THEN. . . .

The charge has showed up on our credit card as a 'pending item' every month since but disappears before we can pay the bill. (We check our credit card account every day on line to make sure all charges are ours.)

As soon as we pay the charges that are on our bill, the fridge is back as a 'pending item.' We inquired at the bank--our cc is at the same bank where our account is--and they said it isn't them--that any charge would have to originate from Lowe's. We inquired at Lowe's and they said the fridge was paid for.

Sounds like a Lowes automated billing problem, or someone in the billing office who has their head up..... well you get the idea.......
Take the issue to the store manager, explain what's going on and tell him/her you've already discussed it with your bank and that his/her billing department needs to look into it and get it fixed. Don't accept any excuses.

THEN. . . .

Sounds like a Lowes automated billing problem, or someone in the billing office who has their head up..... well you get the idea.......
Take the issue to the store manager, explain what's going on and tell him/her you've already discussed it with your bank and that his/her billing department needs to look into it and get it fixed. Don't accept any excuses.

But. . . .we haven't paid for the refrigerator. And the way it is now we may never have to pay for that refrigerator. I would feel guilty about it if Lowe's hadn't screwed the whole thing up so badly, didn't offer to pay for the food that was spoiled because of their error, if we hadn't given them thousands of dollars worth of business over the years etc.

But given that we may never have to pay for the refrigerator as things are now. . .do we really want to screw that up?

I spent the entire afternoon doing medical taxi duty, pharamacy runs, and other critical errands for loved ones and I'm pretty well wiped out tonight. Gonna go take a hot bath and then maybe watch a bit of TV until I fall asleep, so on the theory I won't be back here tonight, I'll give you all a good night Momma Fox hug now.

TK, and TK's grandma,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,

th

Rather wiped out here too. I did get Doc's opened up and placed the order for tee-shirts (half down).
Then I came home and laid down. I did get a couple hours sleep. Just ate a bit of the Boston butt left over from last night and a huge helping of blackberry cobbler and am about ready for another nap.

Rather wiped out here too. I did get Doc's opened up and placed the order for tee-shirts (half down).
Then I came home and laid down. I did get a couple hours sleep. Just ate a bit of the Boston butt left over from last night and a huge helping of blackberry cobbler and am about ready for another nap.
Hopefully it wasn't a Southie........

Forum List

Back