USMB Coffee Shop IV

Fair is over here. Too bad the giant pumpkin fell and they had to cancel the giant pumpkin weigh-off.
My daughter and family are now in Okinawa. There's an open professorship at the University. Since I will not be moving South to Ft Lewis, I suppose I will apply for the position. Cross your hooks for me. I've been teaching as an adjunct for 15 years and that may tip the scales. The job is about 8-5, Mon-Fri, with summers and a month-and-a-half off. That will give me plenty of time to ship overseas and plague my daughter. AND...it's indoors!
Although I confess, since it has been dark at night, and clear, the Northern Lights (Aurora) have been spectacular. I will miss working graves.

I will definitely keep positive thoughts for you so that what will allow maximum joy for you is the outcome in all this. However, we don't always know what that is until we have it. And congrats on that weight loss. As soon as I have my blood work looking decent again, I'll be back on a more sensible diet hoping to shed a few pounds, but for now I have to push the nutrition, protein, etc. to get my system back in whack.
Good nutrition consists of good, fresh food, sensibly prepared. I've learned to not only do without sugary stuff, I don't crave it anymore, either. I've found that the biggest thing about losing, and keeping leaner, is to change your diet.
You know, joy can be found in many places and we are often responsible for whatever joy we find in our lives. I will dearly miss the time I might have had with my daughter and granddaughters, but with the schedule offered by the University job, I should have ample time to visit them in Okinawa.
How are you coming along, Foxy? I'm late to the discussion, as usual. I'll probably catch up shortly, though. I am wishing for all the best for you, good healing. And thank Hombre for his kind updates when we would all have worried.

Thanks. I'm doing great. I have to push a lot of protein to get my albumin built back up before my blood work stabilizes again and I'll be really healthy again. And as we know there isn't a lot of low cal protein. :)

Fair is over here. Too bad the giant pumpkin fell and they had to cancel the giant pumpkin weigh-off.
My daughter and family are now in Okinawa. There's an open professorship at the University. Since I will not be moving South to Ft Lewis, I suppose I will apply for the position. Cross your hooks for me. I've been teaching as an adjunct for 15 years and that may tip the scales. The job is about 8-5, Mon-Fri, with summers and a month-and-a-half off. That will give me plenty of time to ship overseas and plague my daughter. AND...it's indoors!
Although I confess, since it has been dark at night, and clear, the Northern Lights (Aurora) have been spectacular. I will miss working graves.

I will definitely keep positive thoughts for you so that what will allow maximum joy for you is the outcome in all this. However, we don't always know what that is until we have it. And congrats on that weight loss. As soon as I have my blood work looking decent again, I'll be back on a more sensible diet hoping to shed a few pounds, but for now I have to push the nutrition, protein, etc. to get my system back in whack.
Good nutrition consists of good, fresh food, sensibly prepared. I've learned to not only do without sugary stuff, I don't crave it anymore, either. I've found that the biggest thing about losing, and keeping leaner, is to change your diet.
You know, joy can be found in many places and we are often responsible for whatever joy we find in our lives. I will dearly miss the time I might have had with my daughter and granddaughters, but with the schedule offered by the University job, I should have ample time to visit them in Okinawa.
How are you coming along, Foxy? I'm late to the discussion, as usual. I'll probably catch up shortly, though. I am wishing for all the best for you, good healing. And thank Hombre for his kind updates when we would all have worried.

Thanks. I'm doing great. I have to push a lot of protein to get my albumin built back up before my blood work stabilizes again and I'll be really healthy again. And as we know there isn't a lot of low cal protein. :)
That's a fact! Good protein sources also often include fat, and fat = calories, usually. Best you can do is make sure that your calories come from natural, unprocessed, non-GMO sources.

Greetings!
Well, I wrapped up my last week of work for a couple of weeks. I'll be loading my milk does and decamp to my "country" place for that time. I'll commute back to town for classes, but plan on spending time wrapping up a few projects on the place and hunting moose in the afternoons. I've been packing and loading the things I want to take with me the past few days and am still not nearly done with packing, and finishing projects around here.
Of course, my last flight included the joy of dealing with engine issues and taking a flight delay. If you all think that passengers get upset when flights take a delay, you have never dealt with the people who lose money when that occurs.

Hey Hossfly. Happy to see you stopped by.
I was in Albuquerque for a week at my Regimental Reunion. Great city.

Hey we were supposed to get together when you got here. But I was in the hospital all last week so the visit probably wouldn't have been much fun. :)
Yep. I got an upper respiratory infection in Albuquerque with a dry cough so bad that my doctor said the cough was causing my heart to fibrillate. Now I have to see a cardiologist on Wednesday and I hope it won't cause me to postpone my drive to Deadwood, SD on Thursday. Hope you're recovering nicely.

Oh so sorry. We'll put you on the vigil list for some positive vibes for wellness by Thursday. At least it couldn't hurt.
I appreciate that. I go to Deadwood every September for a Company reunion with about 30 guys who arrived in Vietnam 50 years ago today. While I'm there I generally clean up on a one armed bandit named John Wayne. Pays for my trip.

We're watching the game, and I think WQ is going to end up making me a Redskins fan. I was born and raised north of Chicago, so spent my childhood rooting for the Bears...I was 17 when they won the Super Bowl. I converted to a Rams fan while living in Missouri, and then cheered for the Panthers while living in NC. Since relocating to Florida, I was never able to get on board with the Bucs, and a lot of that is because they blackout the games. Looking forward to some halftime snacks.:thup:

img_6968_6122.jpg
As long as that's not Velveeta (real fake cheese) I'd probably eat the whole thing........ :D

For years I've used no bean chili and...

20120424-queso-tostitos.jpg

It tastes very similar to Chili's skillet queso. However, I happened to come across a kit that was less expensive, plus on sale BOGO, and we all liked it just as well.:thup:

k2-_cf052cad-e2ce-4786-a9f1-81278fb69de0.v1.jpg
One of my favorite quick and easy things to eat is, a slice of bread, two boiled Oscar Mayer hotdogs on the bread, heat and pour Hormel HOT chili, no beans over that, sweet onions diced small over that, and topped with shredded cheddar cheese... mmmMMMMmmmm... :D

Yes indeed. I finally decided to make permanent changes in what I eat, how much I eat and when I eat, and I have lost 15 pounds in the last 6 months. I'm knocking on 200's door, and I plan to get under that too. I'm back in my 36 waist jeans and feel lean, strong and full of energy. Funny how you feel lighter on your feet when you lose a bunch of weight. I should keep it off too, because I'm not going to go back to the bad eating habits I used to have.

They say you can break your diet one day a week though, but I find that still, I don't do over eat or eat too late. Like having a pizza and a can of pop is breaking my diet.

I went to bed at 11pm and woke up at 3am Monday. I laid awake for two hours then decided I might as well get up and play some doom 3. I can put it on headphones so that it does not disturb the neighbours, But I still might annoy them, because when the game gets violent, or I get killed, I involuntarily shout swear words.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre,
WQ's mom Dorothy and Aunt Bev,
Hossfly for wellness for his trip this week,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

exotic-bedroom-savin-couelle-costa-smeralda-sardinia-200505_1000-watermarked.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Foxy! You can take the wife off the list.

So she's reasonably well now? That's great news Ernie.
Yes. She has far more energy. As a matter of fact, enough to go travelling. She's currently with a friend in Central Florida and will be leaving there in a week for South Florida the help our granddaughter plan her wedding.
She has plans after that to head to the Adirondacks for a while. Past that, I don't know, or much care.

Great to hear that Mrs. Ernie is doing well. :)

We're watching the game, and I think WQ is going to end up making me a Redskins fan. I was born and raised north of Chicago, so spent my childhood rooting for the Bears...I was 17 when they won the Super Bowl. I converted to a Rams fan while living in Missouri, and then cheered for the Panthers while living in NC. Since relocating to Florida, I was never able to get on board with the Bucs, and a lot of that is because they blackout the games. Looking forward to some halftime snacks.:thup:

img_6968_6122.jpg
As long as that's not Velveeta (real fake cheese) I'd probably eat the whole thing........ :D

I love Velveeta! :lol: I don't consider it a real kind of cheese (it's pretty much American cheese), but it has it's place in some recipes.

Yes indeed. I finally decided to make permanent changes in what I eat, how much I eat and when I eat, and I have lost 15 pounds in the last 6 months. I'm knocking on 200's door, and I plan to get under that too. I'm back in my 36 waist jeans and feel lean, strong and full of energy. Funny how you feel lighter on your feet when you lose a bunch of weight. I should keep it off too, because I'm not going to go back to the bad eating habits I used to have.

They say you can break your diet one day a week though, but I find that still, I don't do over eat or eat too late. Like having a pizza and a can of pop is breaking my diet.

That can of soda is probably the most fattening thing that you consume. You would be surprised at just how fattening soda really is. Even the diet soda.

That can of soda is probably the most fattening thing that you consume. You would be surprised at just how fattening soda really is. Even the diet soda.

Soda may be fattening through calorie content, but there is no fat in it.

I'm up and ready extra early today. I'm going to the dentist this morning. I have a toothache. :( I hate the dentist.

Oh, so sorry Chris. You and I share a common dislike for the dentist even though I really like my dentist personally. But I had far less trauma thinking about a week in the hospital including days in ICU, five hours on the operating table, and weeks of recuperation than I have facing a routine visit to the dentist. So I'll send all manner of calming vibes your way.

Soda may be fattening through calorie content, but there is no fat in it.

That is true, and the average non-diet soda has about 140 calories which isn't excessive as snacks go, but I do believe Chris is right and naturally or artificially sweetened carbonated beverages in excess affect our metabolism negatively and trigger other unhealthy mechanisms. Hombre and I stopped stocking carbonated beverages years ago and I think that was very good for us. We still indulge now and then--I enjoy a root beer or coke or Dr. Pepper once or twice a month but our beverage of choice is routine coffee, tea, or more often than not, water.

img_6968_6122.jpg

For years I've used no bean chili and...

20120424-queso-tostitos.jpg

It tastes very similar to Chili's skillet queso. However, I happened to come across a kit that was less expensive, plus on sale BOGO, and we all liked it just as well.:thup:

k2-_cf052cad-e2ce-4786-a9f1-81278fb69de0.v1.jpg
One of my favorite quick and easy things to eat is, a slice of bread, two boiled Oscar Mayer hotdogs on the bread, heat and pour Hormel HOT chili, no beans over that, sweet onions diced small over that, and topped with shredded cheddar cheese... mmmMMMMmmmm... :D

And I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it. We do pretty much the same thing but use split hotdog or hamburger buns for the bread. And I prefer Wolf Brand chili. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

img_6968_6122.jpg

Yum. And I think somebody else in the CS is a Redskins fan? Was it Nosmo? Or Spoonie? Can't remember. But as a Cowboys fan and archrival to the Redskins, I'll love you and WQ just as much anyway. :)
BBD

Forum List

Back