🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think we have achieved Peak Quinoa.

I noticed a couple of years ago that trendy restaurants started serving dishes with quinoa as a featured ingredient (especially the ubiquitous Kale & Quinoa Salad!).

Last night, our the Chinese restaurant at which mr. boe and I dined served kale and quinoa dip. And now today I read that MCDONALDS is serving quinoa.

The latter is proof that we have achieved Peak Quinoa.

That is my theory, and I'm stickin' with it.

I don't know for certain, but I don't recall ever even tasting quinoa, much less ordering or buying something with quinoa in it.

I'm gonna be a grandpa x 2 next April. :beer:

And wife found out she's gonna be a grandma x 2 next September. :thup:
Congratulations to both you and your wife!
Thanks bud. :thup:

Wife's son and family visited the other day. It was great. Their kid is such a hoot.

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with my son and his family. Haven't seen the grandcritter in a few months.
Grandchildren are the best! If I had known that, I would have just skipped taking the intermediate step of having children of my own. Funny thing, my mother ne never cursed me with "I hope you have grandchildren like yourself!. II miss my gjrls. they're in Japan with their dad and mom.

I noticed a couple of years ago that trendy restaurants started serving dishes with quinoa as a featured ingredient (especially the ubiquitous Kale & Quinoa Salad!).

Last night, our the Chinese restaurant at which mr. boe and I dined served kale and quinoa dip. And now today I read that MCDONALDS is serving quinoa.

Um, WTF is Quinoa? :dunno:

WTF is quinoa?

QUINOA has invaded menus across the country! Beware!

Quinoa (/ˈkiːnoʊ.ə/, from Quechua kinwa or kinuwa )[2] is a species of the goosefoot genus (Chenopodium quinoa), a grain crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal, similar in some respects to buckwheat, rather than a true cereal, as it is not a member of the true grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beetroots, spinach and tumbleweeds. As a member of the Amaranthaceae family, it is related to and resembles amaranth, which is also a pseudocereal.

It is high in protein, and is tolerant of dry soil. The Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) declared 2013 to be the International Year of Quinoa.[3] Chenopodium formosanum is a Taiwanese variant of Red quinoa that is endemic to Taiwan, and is widely grown in Eastern and Southern Taiwanese Aboriginal cultures.

Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know for certain, but I don't recall ever even tasting quinoa, much less ordering or buying something with quinoa in it.

Having lived in the Oakland-Berkeley-SF triangle for many years, I first encountered Quinoa as an undergrad at Berkeley. It's really frightening how many hideous vegan restaurants are swarming through the area.

It is so FRELLING COLD in Oaklandtown today that my freshly made cappuccino is already luke warm.

Meh.

I was just reading about how unsentimental the younger 'millenial' general is when it comes to mementos, keepsakes, and stuff handed down. They are interested in keeping the collage of their sports medals or the stuff they created in gradeschool or boxes of old greeting cards, post cards, and letters. If it can't be stored digitally, they don't want that stuff or our hand me down heirloom furniture, crystal, china, and sterling. Also they aren't interested in owning and maintaining huge estates but enjoy living amongst 'where the action is' close to movies and restaurants and stores. Stuff their parents force on them generally wind up in thrift shops or the dump.

Me? Not having the stamina to be as active as I once was, I enjoy having the comforts of my home around me and I still hold onto stuff not because I particularly like it or it has any use, but strictly for the sentimental value.

But nothing stays the same and the culture changes and there is something to say for a simpler lifestyle too.

As Boomers shed their stuff, their offspring reject it

I'm not quite ready to give up on this topic just yet. Are none of you collectors? Do you hold onto things for sentimental or historical value not because you like the item but because you feel guilty if you throw it away?

Having lived in the Oakland-Berkeley-SF triangle for many years, I first encountered Quinoa as an undergrad at Berkeley. It's really frightening how many hideous vegan restaurants are swarming through the area.

You know, I am all for nutritious and healthy. But if it doesn't taste good I am not going to eat it despite its billing as nutritious and healthy. I am probably less of a meat/fish/poultry eater than most of you not as a moral choice but just because my preferences have changed over the years. But I don't expect to ever become vegetarian 100% and certainly will never be vegan.

Does quinoa taste good?

You know, I am all for nutritious and healthy. But if it doesn't taste good I am not going to eat it despite its billing as nutritious and healthy. I am probably less of a meat/fish/poultry eater than most of you not as a moral choice but just because my preferences have changed over the years. But I don't expect to ever become vegetarian 100% and certainly will never be vegan.

Does quinoa taste good?

Quinoa doesn't have much flavor on its own - it's just an ingredient, imo.

I've had some delicious dishes which featured it. One of my favorite restaurants has a Kale Quinoa salad, which despite my making fun of the concept, is incredibly delicious. It's dressed with shaved parmesan and toasted pumpkin seed - really quite yummy!

I actually enjoy some vegetarian and vegan cuisine - I just can't stand the self-absorbed ideology of the Twoo Beweevahs.

Last edited:

Does quinoa taste good?

I've had some delicious dishes which featured it. One of my favorite restaurants has a Kale Quinoa salad, which despite my making fun of the concept, is incredibly delicious. It's dressed with shaved parmesan and toasted pumpkin seed - really quite yummy!

I actually enjoy some vegetarian and vegan cuisine - I just can't stand the self-absorbed ideology of the Twoo Beweevahs.

So is it a thickening or binding agent like flour? Or does it have some nutrition value more than other ingredients we more commonly have on hand? Otherwise, why feature it?

Does quinoa taste good?

So is it a thickening or binding agent like flour? Or does it have some nutrition value more than other ingredients we more commonly have on hand? Otherwise, why feature it?

It's a high protein "grain". For people who don't eat meat, it is something that can be combined with other plants to create whole protein. I'm in no way a vegetarian, but I like a balanced, healthy diet with fresh ingredients. Sometimes, I just feel like a vegetable salad for dinner (i.e. the kale and quinoa) - such a combination is healthier than iceberg lettuce!

Forum List

Back