USMB Coffee Shop IV

Now, that's my kind of bag! Someone actually gave me a Kohl's gift card for Christmas. They figured I might need some civilized clothing if I got that university job.
...Far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get any more civilized than Carrharts.

I had to look up Carrhart. That's a bit pricey, at least the boots. :)
I troll the sales. You can pick up Carrharts for a lost less if you "shop". Bass Pro Shops recently opened an outlet here and their Redhead brand is good but only features one side pocket. When you want clothing to stand up to tough wear-n-tear, you will pay what it's worth.
Ya need some hemp linen sail material, cotton woven thread and copper rivets........ :eusa_whistle:
Any suggestions where to find such a thing. Of course, I would have to get a sturdier sewing machine. I don't think my current machine could handle the seams.
100% Hemp Linen Canvas

CS-C11

Fabrics-store.com: Linen fabric - Discount linen fabric - Wholesale linen fabric

Hemp Products

Turkeyfoot caters to 1700s and 1800s reenactors so I know it's heavy enough, heck might be too heavy for clothing as for the rest if they offer samples I'd order those to determine how heavy or light the fabric is. You want a medium weight fabric.

Copper rivets.

copper rivets for clothing - Google Search
Thanks, I'm saving the links and will look into them shortly.

4.5 degrees on the old computer thermometer this morning. While I am grateful for that extra half a degree, it makes little difference. The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a Brass Monkey Alert for the upper Ohio River Valley. Temperatures will continue to fall into the low single digits and below. A Witches' Tit Warning will be issued should temperatures fail to rise above 10.
We got up to 20 today. It was 9 yesterday. I suppose such temps are more expected and normal for us than for y'all?

4.5 degrees on the old computer thermometer this morning. While I am grateful for that extra half a degree, it makes little difference. The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a Brass Monkey Alert for the upper Ohio River Valley. Temperatures will continue to fall into the low single digits and below. A Witches' Tit Warning will be issued should temperatures fail to rise above 10.

I enjoy winter, winter clothes, the freedom from outdoor chores that winter offers, etc. etc. But I do not enjoy those subterranean temperatures that sometimes come with winter. Stay warm Nosmo.
Actually, I prefer subterranean temps. While there is some variation depending on location, most cave temperatures (below the frost line), linger between 45 and 55 degrees. That's tanning temps in these parts.

Okay, here's your philosophical question for the day. Could you do this for $1,000/day for 365 days? I will have to say that if I had sufficient books, a typewriter or perhaps a computer not connected to the internet, sewing materials, paints, jigsaw puzzles, a dog, a gun, and wood working equipment, and ability to summon help in an emergency, I think I could do it, and, if in good health and with consent and support of loved ones, I would do it.

12565399_1654967961436531_1129164713113853234_n.jpg
I'm looking forward to it. This summer is the summer I relocate to Willow full-time. Off-grid. Just cutting wood to heat with will keep you plenty busy.

I took advantage of MLK Day, a Uni holiday, to make one last trip up to my place in Willow. I managed to dig a path through a huge ice berm in front of the porch and move three 100 lb propane tanks. I dragged the full one from the kitchen side of the house to the heating side. Then I loaded the two empty 100 lb-ers into the pickup to take them in to fill them. That was no easy task, I'll tell you! I'm not a strong as I once was, but I think I've developed a bit of "small-animal smarts" and figured out a way to load those puppies all by myself. I still have a couple of inside chores to finish, then I'm bundled up with a good book and the critters. I'll have to leave pretty early tomorrow because I still have a 1 pm class. Ah, well, this is the year I'm supposed to relocate here permanently.
I'll check back later. I want to get some things done before the light goes away.

Okay, here's your philosophical question for the day. Could you do this for $1,000/day for 365 days? I will have to say that if I had sufficient books, a typewriter or perhaps a computer not connected to the internet, sewing materials, paints, jigsaw puzzles, a dog, a gun, and wood working equipment, and ability to summon help in an emergency, I think I could do it, and, if in good health and with consent and support of loved ones, I would do it.

I'm looking forward to it. This summer is the summer I relocate to Willow full-time. Off-grid. Just cutting wood to heat with will keep you plenty busy.
Yes.I could do it. Gladly.

We got up to 20 today. It was 9 yesterday. I suppose such temps are more expected and normal for us than for y'all?
There have been many, many times the Pittsburgh TV weatherman has told us that we are colder than... And it's often places like Alaska or Minnesota or North Dakota. It's a long walk to the beach from here and the Great Lakes do not serve to block Arctic air flows. In fact, before Lake Erie serves as a basin of water to fall as snow some thirty to fifty to one hundred miles in
And. It's called 'Lake Effect Snow' and it can be brutal.

I wonder why the same part of the country that has only thirty clear sunny days a year is also the place I was born and raised and bought real estate in.

I enjoy winter, winter clothes, the freedom from outdoor chores that winter offers, etc. etc. But I do not enjoy those subterranean temperatures that sometimes come with winter. Stay warm Nosmo.
Actually, I prefer subterranean temps. While there is some variation depending on location, most cave temperatures (below the frost line), linger between 45 and 55 degrees. That's tanning temps in these parts.
The saving grace of Fridgidaire temperature is that it cuts down on what I call the Bumpkin Factor. No knuckleheads on unnecessarily loud motorcycles plying the streets, interfering with a quiet evening at home reading a good book or enjoying a great movie or attempting a charming conversation. The cold keep the Bumpkins at bay, albeit temporarily.

I'm sleepy. I went to bed at 1am-ish...and tossed and turned, got up, walked around the room, had a cig, went back to bed, tossed and turned, got up, went outside to stand in the rain a bit...went back to bed, tossed and turned. FINALLY as dawn was breaking, I dozed off. Got up at noon. So I got about 6 hours sleep. Being retired, its not like I had to have my wits about me during the day but that isn't the issue. The issue is LAYING THERE..eyes closed, ready to slumber and nothing happens. It sucks.

'Specially if I was paid a dollar a day to do it. That's actually a pretty roomy looking place.

Take pics, GW! Does your place look like the one FF posted?
I wish! I haven't gotten to the log cabin stage yet. There was a small 16'x16' structure here when I bought the place. No windows and the door was boarded over. In 2006, I lived here all summer and I got windows but still slept up in the loft, still 16'x16'. A couple of years later, my partner built the addition, adding another 16' to one side and three small bedrooms upstairs. I put in both the wood burning and propane heat stoves and the composting potty, as well as the floors and kitchen. I'll see it I have any photos I wouldn't feel embarrassed to post.

'Specially if I was paid a dollar a day to do it. That's actually a pretty roomy looking place.

I would want the $1000 per day to give up all forms of human contact for a year. But the $365,000 would allow us to very comfortably enjoy people to the max for the rest of our natural lives.

Forum List

Back