USMB Coffee Shop IV

4.5 degrees on the old computer thermometer this morning. While I am grateful for that extra half a degree, it makes little difference. The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a Brass Monkey Alert for the upper Ohio River Valley. Temperatures will continue to fall into the low single digits and below. A Witches' Tit Warning will be issued should temperatures fail to rise above 10.

Very very frigid here today too. A lot of it has to do with the wind chill. It has been so blustery today!

Currently . . . it is

partlycloudy.svg

Partly Cloudy​
24.8 °F
Feels Like 12 °F
N
7.6​
Wind from NNW
Gusts 9.8 mph​
Today is forecast to be COOLER than yesterday.
Today
High 25
|
Low 16 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 28.8
|
Low 19.4 °F
Precip. 0 in​

I got the first of my packages from spending Christmas money today. Fed Ex, of course, just left it in front of the garage. I suppose it's possible they tried the door while I was sleeping, but considering the dogs are very loud whenever someone comes to the door, I doubt it. :p

I've got a finger splint on now, hopefully not hitting my swollen finger into things all the time will allow it to heal. It sucks a bunch for typing, though!

I got the first of my packages from spending Christmas money today. Fed Ex, of course, just left it in front of the garage. I suppose it's possible they tried the door while I was sleeping, but considering the dogs are very loud whenever someone comes to the door, I doubt it. :p

I've got a finger splint on now, hopefully not hitting my swollen finger into things all the time will allow it to heal. It sucks a bunch for typing, though!

Oh sorry Montro. My shoulder gives me fits when I try to type on my laptop in the great room too, so I can sympathize with what communicating in pain is like.

Oh sorry Montro. My shoulder gives me fits when I try to type on my laptop in the great room too, so I can sympathize with what communicating in pain is like.

I don't usually have much pain from my finger, but when I accidentally smack it into something, it can hurt for a bit. The problem has been that it won't heal. It's been swollen for months now. I don't have any pain from typing, thankfully. It's just damned hard to type with a bulky splint on one finger. :p

Hi all, went to Wally World this morning early, not a lot of people in the store prior to 10 am (I went at 9), one item I ordered hadn't come in yet so I'll have to go back tomorrow to pick it up. Even friggin' Wally World is getting expensive, can't seem to get out of there without paying $140 on average and that's not even with a full basket. Warm day today, had one of those can't get out of my own way kinda days so I laid down and took a 2 hour nap, still tryin' to wake up from it.......
It's 77 degrees out back, we have the back door open and the "kids" are all out sunning themselves even the Boo who prefers to be inside asleep on something comfortable. Oh and if I could just get my sinuses cleared up right now life would be grand.

I got two bags at Kohl's yesterday. What a fantastic deal! I got one for $35 and one for $15! Really nice ones too. I took a picture of one of them. The other one I put away in my closet for now. This is the 35 dollar bag. I can fit a ton of stuff in it too! :D

View attachment 60035
I picked up a bag the other day, only cost me pennies.......

paper-bag_1.jpg
Now, that's my kind of bag! Someone actually gave me a Kohl's gift card for Christmas. They figured I might need some civilized clothing if I got that university job.
...Far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get any more civilized than Carrharts.

I had to look up Carrhart. That's a bit pricey, at least the boots. :)
I troll the sales. You can pick up Carrharts for a lost less if you "shop". Bass Pro Shops recently opened an outlet here and their Redhead brand is good but only features one side pocket. When you want clothing to stand up to tough wear-n-tear, you will pay what it's worth.
Ya need some hemp linen sail material, cotton woven thread and copper rivets........ :eusa_whistle:
Any suggestions where to find such a thing. Of course, I would have to get a sturdier sewing machine. I don't think my current machine could handle the seams.

Do any of you thrift shop?

I find treasures and sell them...I sell old vintage chiffon and satin nightgowns of the 40's, 50's 60's all over the world.
I hunt for them, clean and sew them.
I love it!

I don't usually shop at thrift stores. However, I have a really nice purse that was given to me, and it is from the 40s or 50s, so I do like some vintage things. :)
There are things I'll buy at thrift stores, and some I won't. I won't buy underwear or shoes, for instance. But jeans, shirts, and sweaters are all OK. Just look them over carefully for damage or stains. I also like looking at their knick-knacks. Sometimes you find an amazing buy. Once I found a complete Noritake dinnerware set for 8, for $50.00! I also buy fleece coats to cut down for the goats at thrift stores.

Do any of you thrift shop?

I find treasures and sell them...I sell old vintage chiffon and satin nightgowns of the 40's, 50's 60's all over the world.
I hunt for them, clean and sew them.
I love it!
Only way I do shop any more. If I cannot make it myself (jeans and Carrharts), I search for it in the local thrift shops. Underwear and shoes...those I'll buy new, but inexpensively if I can. Redwings and Doc Martins are usually not cheap, but they are much better for work.
Get yourself some patterns and make your own fine clothing.

james-suit-3-pieces.jpg
Believe it, or not, I already own such patterns. I've been saving to buy an Amish-made, foot-powered sewing machine for my place off-grid.
View attachment 60098

Where do you find the time? Gosh, I don't think I could find the time to make my own clothes.
Currently, I don't usually make time to sew unless I have to. But that won't last forever (I hope!) I used to sew lots but after goats, I have much less time for things like that. I have a backlog of projects that are now part of my New Year's resolutions, though. So far, I've been getting things done. Not as quickly as I had hoped, but done just the same. I'm waiting to see 1) whether I am offered the university professorship, and 2) how much they will offer. Despite the daily rush-hour commute, both ways, I might just take the contract. If I don't like it, I can always decline signing a second contract, should such be offered. If the contract is not offered, there's an FBO (fixed base operator) closer to home and they've been looking for mechanics. If all else fails, I still like the job I have and would not find it an unpleasant option to remain there.

Been growing out my hair, going for the Ben Franklin look........ In the meantime my hair grows in every direction and it's at that stage where it's quite obvious...... The wife told me today I look like Dilbert's Pointy Haired boss........

latest
Last summer, I finally had my long mane sheared. Almost waist length but thinning badly, so I just went by the place and told her to cut it off. I now get my hair trimmed regularly and am very pleased to have finally taken the plunge. Short hair is much easier to care for and doesn't blow in your face, either. I did find out that if you work outside in cold temps, working up enough of a sweat, your hair will freeze into little, icy spikes, though.

I picked up a bag the other day, only cost me pennies.......

paper-bag_1.jpg
Now, that's my kind of bag! Someone actually gave me a Kohl's gift card for Christmas. They figured I might need some civilized clothing if I got that university job.
...Far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get any more civilized than Carrharts.

I had to look up Carrhart. That's a bit pricey, at least the boots. :)
I troll the sales. You can pick up Carrharts for a lost less if you "shop". Bass Pro Shops recently opened an outlet here and their Redhead brand is good but only features one side pocket. When you want clothing to stand up to tough wear-n-tear, you will pay what it's worth.
Ya need some hemp linen sail material, cotton woven thread and copper rivets........ :eusa_whistle:
Any suggestions where to find such a thing. Of course, I would have to get a sturdier sewing machine. I don't think my current machine could handle the seams.
100% Hemp Linen Canvas

CS-C11

Fabrics-store.com: Linen fabric - Discount linen fabric - Wholesale linen fabric

Hemp Products

Turkeyfoot caters to 1700s and 1800s reenactors so I know it's heavy enough, heck might be too heavy for clothing as for the rest if they offer samples I'd order those to determine how heavy or light the fabric is. You want a medium weight fabric.

Copper rivets.

copper rivets for clothing - Google Search

Ringel, boil some water for tea, add some apple cider vinegar to it, then sniff up the steam like it's cocain. DEEP. Your sinuses will love it.

Learning more about Gracie and Eaglewings tonight and it's fascinating not to mention thinking of Ringel as Dilbert instead of Captain Jack Sparrow :) Has been a pretty busy Sunday for us and Hombre has a doctor's appointment in the morning, so I'm turning in early.

Was looking for a photo for the vigil list sign off tonight and coincidentally ran across the one posted. Does anybody remember the movie the scene is from?

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan1, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

27380-the-day-after-tomorrow-snow-in-new-york.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

2012 is the name of the movie . . . I think? :)

Good try but no. That's not the movie.
"The Day After Tomorrow"

Forum List

Back