USMB Coffee Shop IV

4.5 degrees on the old computer thermometer this morning. While I am grateful for that extra half a degree, it makes little difference. The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a Brass Monkey Alert for the upper Ohio River Valley. Temperatures will continue to fall into the low single digits and below. A Witches' Tit Warning will be issued should temperatures fail to rise above 10.
We got up to 20 today. It was 9 yesterday. I suppose such temps are more expected and normal for us than for y'all?
There have been many, many times the Pittsburgh TV weatherman has told us that we are colder than... And it's often places like Alaska or Minnesota or North Dakota. It's a long walk to the beach from here and the Great Lakes do not serve to block Arctic air flows. In fact, before Lake Erie serves as a basin of water to fall as snow some thirty to fifty to one hundred miles in
And. It's called 'Lake Effect Snow' and it can be brutal.

I wonder why the same part of the country that has only thirty clear sunny days a year is also the place I was born and raised and bought real estate in.
I know loads of people who have moved here to get away from that "lake effect". They claim them came for the nicer weather!

4.5 degrees on the old computer thermometer this morning. While I am grateful for that extra half a degree, it makes little difference. The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a Brass Monkey Alert for the upper Ohio River Valley. Temperatures will continue to fall into the low single digits and below. A Witches' Tit Warning will be issued should temperatures fail to rise above 10.

I enjoy winter, winter clothes, the freedom from outdoor chores that winter offers, etc. etc. But I do not enjoy those subterranean temperatures that sometimes come with winter. Stay warm Nosmo.
Actually, I prefer subterranean temps. While there is some variation depending on location, most cave temperatures (below the frost line), linger between 45 and 55 degrees. That's tanning temps in these parts.
The saving grace of Fridgidaire temperature is that it cuts down on what I call the Bumpkin Factor. No knuckleheads on unnecessarily loud motorcycles plying the streets, interfering with a quiet evening at home reading a good book or enjoying a great movie or attempting a charming conversation. The cold keep the Bumpkins at bay, albeit temporarily.
You would be surprised! On my way to work one evening last week, I stopped at a traffic light and wondered why I heard a motorcycle. The light changed and some guy on a tricycle blasted past the rest of us! This was temps in the teens and roads icy as hell....go figure!

I'm sleepy. I went to bed at 1am-ish...and tossed and turned, got up, walked around the room, had a cig, went back to bed, tossed and turned, got up, went outside to stand in the rain a bit...went back to bed, tossed and turned. FINALLY as dawn was breaking, I dozed off. Got up at noon. So I got about 6 hours sleep. Being retired, its not like I had to have my wits about me during the day but that isn't the issue. The issue is LAYING THERE..eyes closed, ready to slumber and nothing happens. It sucks.
You need to learn to put yourself to sleep. I do it all the time.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. Kat
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Againsheila, Alan, Noomi, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

deabdfdd8f9fdc122a07f58010964e54.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Okay, here's your philosophical question for the day. Could you do this for $1,000/day for 365 days? I will have to say that if I had sufficient books, a typewriter or perhaps a computer not connected to the internet, sewing materials, paints, jigsaw puzzles, a dog, a gun, and wood working equipment, and ability to summon help in an emergency, I think I could do it, and, if in good health and with consent and support of loved ones, I would do it.

12565399_1654967961436531_1129164713113853234_n.jpg
I'm looking forward to it. This summer is the summer I relocate to Willow full-time. Off-grid. Just cutting wood to heat with will keep you plenty busy.
Yes.I could do it. Gladly.
'Specially if I was paid a dollar a day to do it. That's actually a pretty roomy looking place.

I would want the $1000 per day to give up all forms of human contact for a year. But the $365,000 would allow us to very comfortably enjoy people to the max for the rest of our natural lives.
I'm so close to those criteria as it is. I suppose I could do a year with no human contact. Now, if I was required to do without my fur-fam, that would be another thing altogether.

Been growing out my hair, going for the Ben Franklin look........ In the meantime my hair grows in every direction and it's at that stage where it's quite obvious...... The wife told me today I look like Dilbert's Pointy Haired boss........

latest
Last summer, I finally had my long mane sheared. Almost waist length but thinning badly, so I just went by the place and told her to cut it off. I now get my hair trimmed regularly and am very pleased to have finally taken the plunge. Short hair is much easier to care for and doesn't blow in your face, either. I did find out that if you work outside in cold temps, working up enough of a sweat, your hair will freeze into little, icy spikes, though.

I use my hair like a scarf! In fact, if I have my hair up, my neck gets cold and then I feel cold because I'm so used to having my hair all over my neck! :dunno:

Work has been a little slow during the day has been so slow, so I've been thinking about changing my "day job" into an overnight job. I can work any hours I wish at my transcription job. I want to be working when it is busiest because I want to make money!! I could work an overnight shift. I've never worked a graveyard shift, but I do stay up until like 2 AM sometimes, so I could probably go until 4 or 5 am. My biggest concern is that I would have a difficult time getting enough sleep during the day. I am lucky though, in that I am one of those people that doesn't really require a whole lot of sleep. Anywhere from 5-7 hours on a typical night for me is fine.

Okay, here's your philosophical question for the day. Could you do this for $1,000/day for 365 days? I will have to say that if I had sufficient books, a typewriter or perhaps a computer not connected to the internet, sewing materials, paints, jigsaw puzzles, a dog, a gun, and wood working equipment, and ability to summon help in an emergency, I think I could do it, and, if in good health and with consent and support of loved ones, I would do it.

I'm looking forward to it. This summer is the summer I relocate to Willow full-time. Off-grid. Just cutting wood to heat with will keep you plenty busy.
'Specially if I was paid a dollar a day to do it. That's actually a pretty roomy looking place.

I would want the $1000 per day to give up all forms of human contact for a year. But the $365,000 would allow us to very comfortably enjoy people to the max for the rest of our natural lives.
I'm so close to those criteria as it is. I suppose I could do a year with no human contact. Now, if I was required to do without my fur-fam, that would be another thing altogether.

I would try it for $350,000 dollars!!! . . . if someone offered . . . :D

That was something I would want too--a furry companion, not only for the company, but for the added security of being warned if something unusual was about.

Work has been a little slow during the day has been so slow, so I've been thinking about changing my "day job" into an overnight job. I can work any hours I wish at my transcription job. I want to be working when it is busiest because I want to make money!! I could work an overnight shift. I've never worked a graveyard shift, but I do stay up until like 2 AM sometimes, so I could probably go until 4 or 5 am. My biggest concern is that I would have a difficult time getting enough sleep during the day. I am lucky though, in that I am one of those people that doesn't really require a whole lot of sleep. Anywhere from 5-7 hours on a typical night for me is fine.

You get paid by the piece instead of by the hour? I could see how you would want the busiest times then. Most hospital night shifts are 11 am to 7 am. Back when I was younger I could work those. When we had our business, I could work 24/7 and every now and then pretty much did. But sleep is so important to overall health, just make sure you're getting enough.

You get paid by the piece instead of by the hour? I could see how you would want the busiest times then. Most hospital night shifts are 11 am to 7 am. Back when I was younger I could work those. When we had our business, I could work 24/7 and every now and then pretty much did. But sleep is so important to overall health, just make sure you're getting enough.

Yes, I get paid by how many lines I type. I think I'm going to try out the graveyard shift, maybe this weekend or maybe on Tuesday night.

Been up for a while, boiled some eggs for the wife....... got busy and forgot about them, she likes her eggs medium hard...... Made another batch correctly and made egg salad out of the hard boiled ones. :thup:

I've been missing my sainted uncles lately. My Uncle Alex, the family patriarch, passed away in his home in September of 2001. He was 97 years old. Alex never had children and was an old man when I first began to remember him. I'll be 59 next Friday and to me, Alex was old when I was a kid and stayed reliably old forever. Alex was born in Dundee Scotland and he and my grandfather and Great Grand Mother immigrated here in 1912.

My Great Grandfather died before I was born. But he made the trip over in 1910. He worked an extra year to afford second class tickets for his wife and sons. His voyage in steerage class scared the bejesus out of him and he would not allow his family to endure such a trip.

Once they got set up in the printing business here, they began to expand their family. A third son, my Uncle Ducky was followed by my Aunt Louise and a forth son Robert. My Aunt Dorothy was the last child born to them and together they shared a grand home in the city's East End on St. George Street only a block away from the river bank.

They were great joiners of organizations. Freemasons, Shriners, Elks, Moose, Orioles, Eagles, Rotarians, Kiwanis, Odd Fellows, you name it, someone from those first generations were already past presidents. I think so many fraternal organizations were around back then because there was not the distraction of television and the travel to many places we take for granted was more difficult.

When the War came, Alex and Grandpa were too old to enlist. But Robert signed on for the Army Air Corps and Uncle Ducky served our nation in the US Navy Shore Patrol breaking up bar fights in Honolulu. Robert never saw action during the war, but he did fly during the Berlin Airlift shuttling coal and Hershey bars over the Iron Curtain to West Berlin.

When my grandfather married another Scottish immigrant, Grace Hoyt, Pop's arrival was just around the corner. They moved into the grand home on St. George street too. Two households in one must have made for some really interesting friction, but none of those stories was ever relayed down to me.

Grandpa was a civil defense air raid warden. He patrolled the neighborhood during air raid drills, assuring that all lights were doused and the north bank of the Ohio River was free of German and Japanese troops. Pop melted down 78 rpm records as they were made of Bakelite (a primitive form of plastic). He would take his bucket of liquid Bakelite to neighbors and, for a small fee, would paint the black goo onto basement windows. That way, during the air raid drills, one could retire to the basement, light a floor lamp and listen to the radio or read a good book without reprisal from Grandpa the Air Raid Warden.

Meanwhile, Uncle Ducky was strolling from dive bar to dive bar making sure our sailors were behaving, if not as gentlemen, at least not as savages. Ducky was a big man. Let me repeat that: Ducky was a big man. Six foot five and two hundred eighty pounds, Ducky took no guff from any drunken Sailor or Marine. His technique in controlling a bar fight was to pin one of the combatants to the bar with his massive torso while basically bitch slapping the poor serviceman into sobriety. "Now then, laddie. Why do you want to make such a fool of yourself here in a public space?" Ducky would admonish while raining down blows from his bear-like fists.

On the other side of the globe, Uncle Robert learned the fundamentals of aviation and Army comportment. By June of 1945, he had earned his wings. He flew DC-9 cargo planes resupplying our troops still in Europe with Spam and Lucky Strikes. When Stalin threw up the barricades on the highway serving West Berlin, he took to the skies again and brought milled flour, coal, nylon stockings and Louis Armstrong records into that German city under siege.

My uncles. Some only waited to be called, others served to the best of their abilities. And I continue to be proud of each and every one of them.

Last edited:
I just thought of something. I can't do an overnight shift on the weekend because I have to do my other job at the hospital from 4 to midnight, so that's not going to work out too well. I should try it on Thursday or Friday night actually.

You ain't sniffing deep enough. I tolja to pretend its cocaine! :lol:
I also can't stand the smell of vinegar though I use it sparingly in some recipes. My next usage for vinegar will be outside to strip the bluing off my CVA shotgun barrel.

The smell of vinegar always makes me cough. Lol. I can't inhale it without coughing.

Gracie and I have been extolling the virtues and benefits of apple cider vinegar for a long time now and I love the smell of it. No adverse affects as yet.

Forum List

Back