USMB Coffee Shop IV

I take the dogs to the estuary so although it is high tide...there are no waves like at the full on beach. The inlet protects it from big assed waves...which I can hear crashing against the harbor rocks even from my house and that particular beach is about 3 miles away.

Meanwhile..I thought this was kinda cute:

A man stepped outside and found a deer all by himself — the next thing he knew, the whole herd was at his doorstep

Warms the heart doesn't it. My nephew has a large cattle ranch in southwestern New Mexico and he figures he feeds three elk for every one of his cows--not on purpose, it just works out that way. To be able to afford that, and also to thin the herd that would quickly overpopulate with all that extra food, he does sell permits for guided hunts (led by himself or his eldest son) to make sure that the first animal they shoot is what they take and that it is as humane as possible with no wounded animals left to die, there is no damage to the forest, etc. But he doesn't make pets of them and makes sure they remain completely wild. (The elk, not the hunters.) It would be really dangerous for them to get too friendly with people, both for the elk and the people.
Ethics are wonderful things. As a hunting guide, it was my job to ensure that my client was afforded an opportunity to bag the intended game, and no other.

I
I take the dogs to the estuary so although it is high tide...there are no waves like at the full on beach. The inlet protects it from big assed waves...which I can hear crashing against the harbor rocks even from my house and that particular beach is about 3 miles away.

A man stepped outside and found a deer all by himself — the next thing he knew, the whole herd was at his doorstep

Warms the heart doesn't it. My nephew has a large cattle ranch in southwestern New Mexico and he figures he feeds three elk for every one of his cows--not on purpose, it just works out that way. To be able to afford that, and also to thin the herd that would quickly overpopulate with all that extra food, he does sell permits for guided hunts (led by himself or his eldest son) to make sure that the first animal they shoot is what they take and that it is as humane as possible with no wounded animals left to die, there is no damage to the forest, etc. But he doesn't make pets of them and makes sure they remain completely wild. (The elk, not the hunters.) It would be really dangerous for them to get too friendly with people, both for the elk and the people.
Ethics are wonderful things. As a hunting guide, it was my job to ensure that my client was afforded an opportunity to bag the intended game, and no other.

I think that is probably the case with most organized hunts here too. But my nephew and his family love those mountains and all the creatures on them. And their own horses, dogs, cattle etc. live a very good life. So if there is to be hunting on his land, and it really is necessary to some extent, especially in dry years when the food supply is more limited, he makes some good money making sure it is done right and as humanely as possible. And most of the proceeds of course go back into cattle feed that the elk help themselves to.

It's tough not to want to feed wild things and I sure have done that for the wild birds and, by default the rabbits and squirrels and probably other critters now and then. Again as you describe the aggressive moose, the elk can be pretty darn aggressive to if provoked or defending their young and because of their size can be very dangerous, so you don't want them to start looking to humans as a food source. And feeding the black bears that come out of the mountains is a no brainer--anybody ought to bear the brunt of the full force of law who encourages that.

I couldn't hunt myself unless I really needed the meat for food and couldn't go to the store to buy it, and I think I am a good enough shot I could hit my target if I had to. I couldn't slaughter my own beef, pork, or chickens either. Just too tender hearted. But I have no problem with responsible hunters and am glad there are people who do provide all that lovely food available to me at the super market.
Still a bit bummed over the Katahdin cadaver hanging in the garage. First time I've ever seen what a prolapsed uterus looks like 2 week before twin lambs are due. At the very least, we'll be packaging 40 lbs of mutton this morning.
That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?

Prolapsing tends to be a genetic tendency, so even if I was able to save her and the female lambs she was carrying, they would've been predisposed to do the same.

Just the nature of things. If you farm, you'll always be faced with losing an animal to predators/sickness/etc.. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
I absolutely agree! Too bad my partner is about 3-years-old, going on 65. He blames me every time an animal dies.

Eww! Is that guy eating raw meat? *shudders*

Think of it as country sushi. :)

Funny! I was just posting on one of the food threads saying how I don't think sushi sounds or looks very appetizing, so that's not going to work! :lol:

My favorite is when someone who knows I don't like seafood says, "You should try sushi. It doesn't taste like seafood!". :lol: As though cooking fish adds a fishy taste that normally isn't there? :p
"Fishy" taste is relative to the type of fish and how fresh it is. My dad never liked fish until he caught his first King salmon up here and we had fresh-out-of-the-river salmon steaks off the grill. He went back for THIRDS!

I am not particularly a salmon fan the way most places around here serve it though I used to really like a well seasoned salmon croquette. But I've never had fresh salmon, and if it is as good as a fresh trout or bass, pulled right out of the stream or lake, cleaned immediately without icing it down, and then right into the pan, I might be a convert. Really fresh fish is quite special compared to that in the grocer's stock or the frozen variety.
Yep, they were specifically created in the 1950's in Maine to provide meat, while being drought, disease, and famine resistant. I've spent most of this morning harvesting some legs, chops, and ground meat. The dogs are gonna love their new bone treats. They are called "hair sheep" by most of the locals around here. They shed in the springtime, and no sheering is required, or even profitable.

We've had three sets of twin lambs born so far this month (two sets not including the twins lost with the prolapsed mama), with a fourth mama currently in labor. Three more ewes after her are due within the next couple of weeks, so I'm expecting up to 12 lambs total this year.

Wow. I thought only race horses were bred to drop their young in the dead of winter, but what do I know. :) But really interesting. Are the
Katahdin lambs as much fun as GW's baby goats?

Goats are more entertaining creatures, but they don't taste nearly as good as lamb!

View attachment 61211

Well,I didn't actually MEAN to touch my mouth with it. Photo-OP gone tasty. lol

So the guy in the photo IS you. That is super cool.

Think of it as country sushi. :)

Funny! I was just posting on one of the food threads saying how I don't think sushi sounds or looks very appetizing, so that's not going to work! :lol:

My favorite is when someone who knows I don't like seafood says, "You should try sushi. It doesn't taste like seafood!". :lol: As though cooking fish adds a fishy taste that normally isn't there? :p
"Fishy" taste is relative to the type of fish and how fresh it is. My dad never liked fish until he caught his first King salmon up here and we had fresh-out-of-the-river salmon steaks off the grill. He went back for THIRDS!

I am not particularly a salmon fan the way most places around here serve it though I used to really like a well seasoned salmon croquette. But I've never had fresh salmon, and if it is as good as a fresh trout or bass, pulled right out of the stream or lake, cleaned immediately without icing it down, and then right into the pan, I might be a convert. Really fresh fish is quite special compared to that in the grocer's stock or the frozen variety.
Yep, they were specifically created in the 1950's in Maine to provide meat, while being drought, disease, and famine resistant. I've spent most of this morning harvesting some legs, chops, and ground meat. The dogs are gonna love their new bone treats. They are called "hair sheep" by most of the locals around here. They shed in the springtime, and no sheering is required, or even profitable.

We've had three sets of twin lambs born so far this month (two sets not including the twins lost with the prolapsed mama), with a fourth mama currently in labor. Three more ewes after her are due within the next couple of weeks, so I'm expecting up to 12 lambs total this year.

Wow. I thought only race horses were bred to drop their young in the dead of winter, but what do I know. :) But really interesting. Are the
Katahdin lambs as much fun as GW's baby goats?

Goats are more entertaining creatures, but they don't taste nearly as good as lamb!

View attachment 61211

Well,I didn't actually MEAN to touch my mouth with it. Photo-OP gone tasty. lol

So the guy in the photo IS you. That is super cool.
wild Alaskan slamo
Ya know, sewing clothes really isn't that hard, what's a pain is trying to figure out some of the instructions. It took two days of (off and on) reading the instructions and watching videos on how to sew Welt pockets before I finally found a video that actually made sense. It is a step by step, explain the terminology how to video where the lady didn't hurry through it like the professional tutoring videos did. One thing I learned from one pro video cleared up a bunch of confusion, it seems in these days many people don't differentiate between Jet, Piped and Welt pockets, if you look up Welt pockets you'll get all three with the video author calling it a Welt pocket.

It is an art. My mother was the best seamstress I have known in my lifetime. Every seam finished, linings, zippers, button holes, hems etc. perfectly set in and everything tailored to fit the person the garment was for. She had some pretty terrible taste in clothing at times, but they were impeccably tailored and sewn. But what you are describing is a whole different ball game, and I am impressed at your attention to detail to be authentic. Where are you going to wear these garments when you have completed them?
My Mom sewed us school clothes every year. I learned to sew my own around 9 yrs old.

I am entertaining my self with the zen stories thread, illustration art thread, eye candy thread, soul candy thread. In short, not talking much. I find myself way behind "out there" and decided I like it.

I thought of gallantwarrior a lot today though (did ya feel a tickle on your neck, like someone was watching you? That was me :lol: ). Been watching Buying Alaska show and every time a new episode came on, I thought of him and his goats. :)
If you really want to consider Alaska, I can offer you a great deal on a place. Seriously, I'm very picky about my neighbors...

BTW, I don't like 3rd shift at ALL. God, that sucks. Lol. I think my favorite shift is 4 to midnight.
Oddly enough, I am seriously thinking whether I will accept the full-time professorship because it is a 5-day-a-week, 8 to 4 job (inside). I would have to commute 2-21/2 hours (one way), five days a week during rush-hour traffic, as opposed to a 4/10 grave shift that leaves rush-hour behind. I've worked graves so long now, it is massively stressful for me, thinking of taking on that morning/afternoon rush hour.

I prefer building retaining walls and paver patios, but the wear and tear on my shoulders just will not let that continue for the next twelve years or more.

Still a bit bummed over the Katahdin cadaver hanging in the garage. First time I've ever seen what a prolapsed uterus looks like 2 week before twin lambs are due. At the very least, we'll be packaging 40 lbs of mutton this morning.
That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?
Prolapsing tends to be a genetic tendency, so even if I was able to save her and the female lambs she was carrying, they would've been predisposed to do the same.

Just the nature of things. If you farm, you'll always be faced with losing an animal to predators/sickness/etc.. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
I absolutely agree! Too bad my partner is about 3-years-old, going on 65. He blames me every time an animal dies.

It's MY fault every time an animal dies too. :banghead:

Yeah, the passage of time has nothing to do with things passing on. Not to mention, if we kept every animal born here, I'd be feeding around 500 or so goats by now. They double their numbers every year.

I prefer building retaining walls and paver patios, but the wear and tear on my shoulders just will not let that continue for the next twelve years or more.

I think there comes a time that we have to consider what limitations are in our best interest. There comes a time when a person doesn't need to be doing the heavy lifting or be climbing ladders into high places or putting excess strain on joints and muscles. It isn't a matter of whether a person CAN do that, but the negative consequences and deterioration of quality of life if he/she does. Unfortunately too many folks interpret that to justify a sedentary life which isn't healthy for us either. And I observe who have jobs that allow them to keeping working into their 70's and 80's etc., assuming they LIKE those jobs, do seem to be really happy people. Something to think about or my two cents which is about what it could be worth. :)

Last edited:
Happy Friday! :)

friday-b.jpg

Yeah, the passage of time has nothing to do with things passing on. Not to mention, if we kept every animal born here, I'd be feeding around 500 or so goats by now. They double their numbers every year.

Even those of us who have fur friends strictly for companionship deal with that. They do eventually become too sick to continue or die of old age--we deal with things that go wrong in kitten-puppy-foal etc. birth. The emotional toll is terrible but it's worth it for all that unconditional love. And having dealt with farm critters too, there might not be so much emotional loss when you have to put one down for whatever reason, or when you raise and sell them for profit, or they become dinner or meat in the freezer, but it still isn't easy for many.

So far, we've received 6 new lambs. I'm expecting up to 6 more within the next month. Every March when I sell them off, they pay for all the winter costs (which is the only time they cost any money), and the rest goes toward the credit cards. Depending on how well this lamb roast goes, I may have to make it an Easter tradition.

The meat has been in vacuum sealed bags and resting in the fridge for a few days now. The meat is noticeably more tender. I think a week outta do it before they go into the deep freeze.

So far, we've received 6 new lambs. I'm expecting up to 6 more within the next month. Every March when I sell them off, they pay for all the winter costs (which is the only time they cost any money), and the rest goes toward the credit cards. Depending on how well this lamb roast goes, I may have to make it an Easter tradition.

The meat has been in vacuum sealed bags and resting in the fridge for a few days now. The meat is noticeably more tender. I think a week outta do it before they go into the deep freeze.

Interesting. I know some folks like to cure beef before freezing it, but I never thought about that with mutton.

Even those of us who have fur friends strictly for companionship deal with that. They do eventually become too sick to continue or die of old age--we deal with things that go wrong in kitten-puppy-foal etc. birth. The emotional toll is terrible but it's worth it for all that unconditional love. And having dealt with farm critters too, there might not be so much emotional loss when you have to put one down for whatever reason, or when you raise and sell them for profit, or they become dinner or meat in the freezer, but it still isn't easy for many.

It has a lot to do with if you were raised on a farm or not too, I think. People who were raised on a farm where the animals are raised for food don't think it's such a big deal. They are used to it. Us city folks who are used to seeing our meat in a tidy little package, it is understandable that we would feel horrified when we see they have cute little faces. :(

The most frustrating part is when chickens disappear in the middle of the night. It causes me to have to lay on my rooftop for several hours during the night with a cold metal rifle. I feel no emotional attachment to the farm animals per se, but I certainly do protect them with a jealous wrath. It's in my nature I suppose.

One of the plus sides, is we can have more cats and dogs than most people. They provide companionship, and hunt the crap out of things at all hours. I have year-old kittens that regularly consume rabbits the same size as them. One of the dogs even cornered and fought with one of the biggest damn possums I've ever seen in my life, and wagged her tail at me after I finished the job. She knew she was in for a bag of rawhide bones that night.

Interesting. I know some folks like to cure beef before freezing it, but I never thought about that with mutton.

All meat from the slaughterhouse undergoes a curing stage, whether dry-hung at just above freezing, or in vacuumed sealed containers on their week-long trip to the consumer market. I learned about that process when I spent a summer with my dad (a truck driver), and have been applying it since to everything I harvest. It definitely makes a difference to have ALL the rigor out of the meat before it goes into the freezer. Just my personal anecdote, of course. YMMV :)

Forum List

Back