USMB Coffee Shop IV

I prefer building retaining walls and paver patios, but the wear and tear on my shoulders just will not let that continue for the next twelve years or more.

I think there comes a time that we have to consider what limitations are in our best interest. There comes a time when a person doesn't need to be doing the heavy lifting or be climbing ladders into high places or putting excess strain on joints and muscles. It isn't a matter of whether a person CAN do that, but the negative consequences and deterioration of quality of life if he/she does. Unfortunately too many folks interpret that to justify a sedentary life which isn't healthy for us either. And I observe who have jobs that allow them to keeping working into their 70's and 80's etc., assuming they LIKE those jobs, do seem to be really happy people. Something to think about or my two cents which is about what it could be worth. :)

Just think of it as helpful advice at a very reasonable price. ;)

That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?
Prolapsing tends to be a genetic tendency, so even if I was able to save her and the female lambs she was carrying, they would've been predisposed to do the same.

Just the nature of things. If you farm, you'll always be faced with losing an animal to predators/sickness/etc.. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
I absolutely agree! Too bad my partner is about 3-years-old, going on 65. He blames me every time an animal dies.

It's MY fault every time an animal dies too. :banghead:
Yeah, the passage of time has nothing to do with things passing on. Not to mention, if we kept every animal born here, I'd be feeding around 500 or so goats by now. They double their numbers every year.

Even those of us who have fur friends strictly for companionship deal with that. They do eventually become too sick to continue or die of old age--we deal with things that go wrong in kitten-puppy-foal etc. birth. The emotional toll is terrible but it's worth it for all that unconditional love. And having dealt with farm critters too, there might not be so much emotional loss when you have to put one down for whatever reason, or when you raise and sell them for profit, or they become dinner or meat in the freezer, but it still isn't easy for many.

It has a lot to do with if you were raised on a farm or not too, I think. People who were raised on a farm where the animals are raised for food don't think it's such a big deal. They are used to it. Us city folks who are used to seeing our meat in a tidy little package, it is understandable that we would feel horrified when we see they have cute little faces. :(

Ironically, I too grew up in large cities and Military bases my entire life.

That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?
Prolapsing tends to be a genetic tendency, so even if I was able to save her and the female lambs she was carrying, they would've been predisposed to do the same.

Just the nature of things. If you farm, you'll always be faced with losing an animal to predators/sickness/etc.. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
I absolutely agree! Too bad my partner is about 3-years-old, going on 65. He blames me every time an animal dies.

Yeah, the passage of time has nothing to do with things passing on. Not to mention, if we kept every animal born here, I'd be feeding around 500 or so goats by now. They double their numbers every year.

Even those of us who have fur friends strictly for companionship deal with that. They do eventually become too sick to continue or die of old age--we deal with things that go wrong in kitten-puppy-foal etc. birth. The emotional toll is terrible but it's worth it for all that unconditional love. And having dealt with farm critters too, there might not be so much emotional loss when you have to put one down for whatever reason, or when you raise and sell them for profit, or they become dinner or meat in the freezer, but it still isn't easy for many.

It has a lot to do with if you were raised on a farm or not too, I think. People who were raised on a farm where the animals are raised for food don't think it's such a big deal. They are used to it. Us city folks who are used to seeing our meat in a tidy little package, it is understandable that we would feel horrified when we see they have cute little faces. :(

I can't argue with that but I think about my nephew and his numerous horses and cows and those elk I posted about a day or two ago. He takes every one personally. But even though we have raised chickens for eggs and meat, I never got to the point I could kill one. I could pluck, clean, cut up one, and fry it as good as anybody, but I just couldn't bring myself to do the deed. We had a rancher friend, now passed on, who couldn't butcher his own beef. He sold them of course because that was his business, but he said you just couldn't watch them grow up from baby calves and then eat one of them. So he bought all his beef from others. :)

I can't argue with that but I think about my nephew and his numerous horses and cows and those elk I posted about a day or two ago. He takes every one personally. But even though we have raised chickens for eggs and meat, I never got to the point I could kill one. I could pluck, clean, cut up one, and fry it as good as anybody, but I just couldn't bring myself to do the deed. We had a rancher friend, now passed on, who couldn't butcher his own beef. He sold them of course because that was his business, but he said you just couldn't watch them grow up from baby calves and then eat one of them. So he bought all his beef from others. :)

True. My cousin is a hunter and he wasn't raised on a farm or hunting. It's just an interest he had and picked up. He does say that he loves deer and he also enjoys just watching them, and he has a lot of respect for the animal. He always tries to make a good shot so that it is killed and doesn't suffer. So, he's not totally heartless. :) I've never been hunting or killed an animal. I don't think I could do it. I would rather hunt with a camera and take pictures! :D

Nope, I don't think I could raise an animal and then slaughter it. It is just in my nature to become attached to the animal.
Not necessarily, most Americans have food readily available through the neighborhood grocer or butcher shop not to mention we tend to be overfed. If those services weren't available and you were hungry enough you'd be surprised what you'd do.

Nope, I don't think I could raise an animal and then slaughter it. It is just in my nature to become attached to the animal.
Not necessarily, most Americans have food readily available through the neighborhood grocer or butcher shop not to mention we tend to be overfed. If those services weren't available and you were hungry enough you'd be surprised what you'd do.

This is true. We do what we must out of necessity. Which is why, though I choose to hunt only with a camera in normal times, I would not hesitate to bag game if I or others needed the food. And I suppose I could even bring myself to dispatch that chicken if it meant somebody would not have to go hungry.

I am sooooo grateful I don't have to make those choices though. And I also add that just because I don't hunt myself or butcher my own food, I nevertheless appreciate the hunters and farmers/ranchers who present us gifts of their bounty or share it at their dinner tables.

This anything like pancakes? So hard to have the mix, milk AND eggs on hand all at the same time. Plus you have to kill the egg. Messy and soupy. So much easier to visit Denny's.

12645158_10153895882727264_3215693540978023058_n.jpg

This reminds me of the day that I put on my glasses so I could see better to find my glasses.

It snowed today. It has reliably snowed on this date 56 out of the preceding 59 years. I know because it's my 59th birthday. I stood in a grocery checkout line this morning pursuing the tabloid headlines. I realize that I am aging, or at least woefully out of touch with popular culture, because the only two faces I recognized were Paul Newman and Steve McQueen. They were writing about a feud between the two sainted actors.

I think at this point, it would be easier just to cut me down and count the rings to determine my age. I remember one of my Boy Scout masters, a local optometrist who had a lecture he would deliver to civic organizations: "Life Begins at 50!"

He turned 100 earlier this year and this is my last year in my fifties.

Time flies? No. Time soars and leaves in a flash!

It snowed today. It has reliably snowed on this date 56 out of the preceding 59 years. I know because it's my 59th birthday. I stood in a grocery checkout line this morning pursuing the tabloid headlines. I realize that I am aging, or at least woefully out of touch with popular culture, because the only two faces I recognized were Paul Newman and Steve McQueen. They were writing about a feud between the two sainted actors.

I think at this point, it would be easier just to cut me down and count the rings to determine my age. I remember one of my Boy Scout masters, a local optometrist who had a lecture he would deliver to civic organizations: "Life Begins at 50!"

Are you a writer? I have noticed that you seem to have a natural talent for writing.

Are you a writer? I have noticed that you seem to have a natural talent for writing.
Thanks Chris! I am just a freak, a force of nature, a blowhard. I've submitted some manuscripts and have a heap of rejection letters. Think of Garrison Keillor mixed with J.D. Salinger with a healthy dollop of P.T. Barnum and you have boiled my 'talent' down to its essential kernel. But then again, I could just be stroking my own ego for stroking's sake. .

He does. I have been pushing him to get all these wonderful stories in his head into some kind of anthology or work it into a terrific memoirs or even weave it into a piece of fiction.

Happy Birthday wordsmith Nosmo King.

It is not plagiarism if I use Dimplebutt is it?

FedEx delivered my washing machine parts in less than 48 hours from ordering. The clothes are enjoying their rotary adventures anew.

Thanks Chris! I am just a freak, a force of nature, a blowhard. I've submitted some manuscripts and have a heap of rejection letters. Think of Garrison Keillor mixed with J.D. Salinger with a healthy dollop of P.T. Barnum and you have boiled my 'talent' down to its essential kernel. But then again, I could just be stroking my own ego for stroking's sake. .

I bet I have a stack of rejection letters bigger than yours. :)

Forum List

Back