USMB Coffee Shop IV

I had to get stitches once, and I thought I'd like to watch. Next thing I knew they were picking me up off thefloor.

I went to school to be a medical assistant, but I stayed on the administrative side of the field - doing medical transcription but had to take all the classes of course. I learned how to take blood, but I still can't watch them draw blood from me! Lol. It makes me feel queasy.

I've done so much cutting myself I don't think blood would bother me, but dealing with the people..... :lol:
I hear ya. Dealing with the people is what I've done my whole life

What do you do for a living, Dhara? :)

Still a bit bummed over the Katahdin cadaver hanging in the garage. First time I've ever seen what a prolapsed uterus looks like 2 week before twin lambs are due. At the very least, we'll be packaging 40 lbs of mutton this morning.
That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?
Prolapsing tends to be a genetic tendency, so even if I was able to save her and the female lambs she was carrying, they would've been predisposed to do the same.

Just the nature of things. If you farm, you'll always be faced with losing an animal to predators/sickness/etc.. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
I absolutely agree! Too bad my partner is about 3-years-old, going on 65. He blames me every time an animal dies.

It's MY fault every time an animal dies too. :banghead:
Yeah, the passage of time has nothing to do with things passing on. Not to mention, if we kept every animal born here, I'd be feeding around 500 or so goats by now. They double their numbers every year.

So far, we've received 6 new lambs. I'm expecting up to 6 more within the next month. Every March when I sell them off, they pay for all the winter costs (which is the only time they cost any money), and the rest goes toward the credit cards. Depending on how well this lamb roast goes, I may have to make it an Easter tradition.

The meat has been in vacuum sealed bags and resting in the fridge for a few days now. The meat is noticeably more tender. I think a week outta do it before they go into the deep freeze.
I like to age my meat in game bags whenever possible. There are times when it's too warm, or too cold, to do that. It works best when you can choose when to butcher. Obviously not the case for you right now. Bon appetite!

Will your body allow the outside work until you are ready to retire?
So far, so good. I'll have to cut firewood until I die, so I suppose it must.

Or you eventually could have somebody cut it for you?
Not to difficult if you negotiate and let the cutters take some wood for themselves.

You must really love that life (outdoorsy) because you work awfully hard to maintain it. :)

That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?
Prolapsing tends to be a genetic tendency, so even if I was able to save her and the female lambs she was carrying, they would've been predisposed to do the same.

Just the nature of things. If you farm, you'll always be faced with losing an animal to predators/sickness/etc.. Doesn't make it suck any less though.
I absolutely agree! Too bad my partner is about 3-years-old, going on 65. He blames me every time an animal dies.

It's MY fault every time an animal dies too. :banghead:
Yeah, the passage of time has nothing to do with things passing on. Not to mention, if we kept every animal born here, I'd be feeding around 500 or so goats by now. They double their numbers every year.

Even those of us who have fur friends strictly for companionship deal with that. They do eventually become too sick to continue or die of old age--we deal with things that go wrong in kitten-puppy-foal etc. birth. The emotional toll is terrible but it's worth it for all that unconditional love. And having dealt with farm critters too, there might not be so much emotional loss when you have to put one down for whatever reason, or when you raise and sell them for profit, or they become dinner or meat in the freezer, but it still isn't easy for many.

The most frustrating part is when chickens disappear in the middle of the night. It causes me to have to lay on my rooftop for several hours during the night with a cold metal rifle. I feel no emotional attachment to the farm animals per se, but I certainly do protect them with a jealous wrath. It's in my nature I suppose.

One of the plus sides, is we can have more cats and dogs than most people. They provide companionship, and hunt the crap out of things at all hours. I have year-old kittens that regularly consume rabbits the same size as them. One of the dogs even cornered and fought with one of the biggest damn possums I've ever seen in my life, and wagged her tail at me after I finished the job. She knew she was in for a bag of rawhide bones that night.
Yup! My feral barn cats keep the rodents at bay and my Pyr is daunting to bears and roving dogs. Before she got senile, my mini doxie was the best mouser around.

Not to difficult if you negotiate and let the cutters take some wood for themselves.

You must really love that life (outdoorsy) because you work awfully hard to maintain it. :)
I love living close to Nature and find the effort well worth the rewards. Raising my own food is all part of that cycle. It isn't all that difficult when you like your life and can establish a routine.

I had to get stitches once, and I thought I'd like to watch. Next thing I knew they were picking me up off thefloor.

I went to school to be a medical assistant, but I stayed on the administrative side of the field - doing medical transcription but had to take all the classes of course. I learned how to take blood, but I still can't watch them draw blood from me! Lol. It makes me feel queasy.

I've done so much cutting myself I don't think blood would bother me, but dealing with the people..... :lol:
I hear ya. Dealing with the people is what I've done my whole life

What do you do for a living, Dhara? :)
Fulltime parent, part time school, part time private practice.

I love living close to Nature and find the effort well worth the rewards. Raising my own food is all part of that cycle. It isn't all that difficult when you like your life and can establish a routine.

That's my problem lately, establishing a routine. Lol. :D

Establishing a routine is the problem. Once it's established I'm fine, but having to change and establish a new one, that I'm terrible with.
I have four kids. My schedule changes a lot.

You are one busy mama! :D I have one adult son.

I have 2 adult sons...I had the last one at 40 years old...

Wow! I have the one. I'm 37, and he just turned 21, and I think I'm good with having more. :D

Establishing a routine is the problem. Once it's established I'm fine, but having to change and establish a new one, that I'm terrible with.

Wow! I have the one. I'm 37, and he just turned 21, and I think I'm good with having more. :D

It was great raising them older, I was too selfish when I was younger..work and party..
Most of my friends are grandmothers now...
The only hard thing ....I was losing my hormones while my son was getting his hormones...

Are you still cutting yourself Montrovant?

I'm pretty sure he is not. I know I've heard him talk about his past before, and he seems to have his stuff together. :)

It was great raising them older, I was too selfish when I was younger..work and party..
Most of my friends are grandmothers now...
The only hard thing ....I was losing my hormones while my son was getting his hormones...

Gosh. I'd probably be better now too, especially considering my age when I had my son, but I just wouldn't want to go through all of that again! :eek: Let's not even go into the expense! Yikes.

Forum List

Back