USMB Coffee Shop IV

Spent a couple of hundred dollars today that may or may not make me a lot more. The gun store I generally go to too drool received a original small black powder revolver on consignment but the woman selling it nor the store employees (nor I) at the time knew what it was. All my research came up with nothing so I put it on the back burner till 3 days ago when I was researching something else and suddenly there it was or at least there was what I think it was. It's possibly an 1800s European knockoff of. It looks like an original 1848 Colt Baby Dragoon (pocket pistol) that appears to have been brass plated. Being an original even though it's possibly a copy-cat revolver it's still worth $400 to $600 in the condition it's in, if it's actually a Colt variant (they made the Baby Dragoon up till 1873) then it could be worth as much as $7000. :thup:

Wow. I thought only race horses were bred to drop their young in the dead of winter, but what do I know. :) But really interesting. Are the
Katahdin lambs as much fun as GW's baby goats?

Goats are more entertaining creatures, but they don't taste nearly as good as lamb!

View attachment 61211

Eww! Is that guy eating raw meat? *shudders*

Think of it as country sushi. :)

Funny! I was just posting on one of the food threads saying how I don't think sushi sounds or looks very appetizing, so that's not going to work! :lol:

My favorite is when someone who knows I don't like seafood says, "You should try sushi. It doesn't taste like seafood!". :lol: As though cooking fish adds a fishy taste that normally isn't there? :p
"Fishy" taste is relative to the type of fish and how fresh it is. My dad never liked fish until he caught his first King salmon up here and we had fresh-out-of-the-river salmon steaks off the grill. He went back for THIRDS!

12553030_1013371248730092_7112455549943359320_n.jpg

I'm in silent running mode right now. The partner once again has commandeered my couch and since he is quite incapable of sleeping with even a minute amount of noise, I must keep quiet. I swiped his clothes and washed them, though. I thought the cats were going to organize a mass burial squad.
I just put a swiss-style cheese into the press. This type of cheese requires close attention to timing and temperature so that the bacteria that make the 'eyes' (holes) in the cheese develop properly. The last time I made this kind of cheese it was firm and had that little bit of 'bite' that makes swiss-style cheese so tasty. I'm hoping for larger eyes this time, though.
My buddy told me that the folks at the University called him about my Hunter Education bona fides. We used to teach Hunter Ed together, did so for many years. So I know they are checking my references. One more hurdle.

Taking this Java course is also teaching me some math. I did not know that a number to the 0th power is 1. For that matter, I don't know that I ever really considered using zero-th as a word. :lol:

Goats are more entertaining creatures, but they don't taste nearly as good as lamb!

View attachment 61211

Funny! I was just posting on one of the food threads saying how I don't think sushi sounds or looks very appetizing, so that's not going to work! :lol:

My favorite is when someone who knows I don't like seafood says, "You should try sushi. It doesn't taste like seafood!". :lol: As though cooking fish adds a fishy taste that normally isn't there? :p
"Fishy" taste is relative to the type of fish and how fresh it is. My dad never liked fish until he caught his first King salmon up here and we had fresh-out-of-the-river salmon steaks off the grill. He went back for THIRDS!
I like fish but I don't like salmon, I make it once in a while for the wife but it won't get anywhere near my mouth, ever.

Still a bit bummed over the Katahdin cadaver hanging in the garage. First time I've ever seen what a prolapsed uterus looks like 2 week before twin lambs are due. At the very least, we'll be packaging 40 lbs of mutton this morning.

Aw that is sad. Isn't it still too early for lambs? Maybe not. So you are a sheep rancher? My late uncle raised Katahdin sheep. In case anybody isn't familiar with the breed, this is what they look like:

New_Generation.jpg

As I recall, he said they are raised to be lamb chops and leg of lamb as they don't really produce wool as most breeds of sheep do?

Yep, they were specifically created in the 1950's in Maine to provide meat, while being drought, disease, and famine resistant. I've spent most of this morning harvesting some legs, chops, and ground meat. The dogs are gonna love their new bone treats. They are called "hair sheep" by most of the locals around here. They shed in the springtime, and no sheering is required, or even profitable.

We've had three sets of twin lambs born so far this month (two sets not including the twins lost with the prolapsed mama), with a fourth mama currently in labor. Three more ewes after her are due within the next couple of weeks, so I'm expecting up to 12 lambs total this year.

Wow. I thought only race horses were bred to drop their young in the dead of winter, but what do I know. :) But really interesting. Are the

View attachment 61211

Well,I didn't actually MEAN to touch my mouth with it. Photo-OP gone tasty. lol

Gracie, I saw some reports that they've been getting some pretty significant waves along the Cali coast. How does that affect you?
I take the dogs to the estuary so although it is high tide...there are no waves like at the full on beach. The inlet protects it from big assed waves...which I can hear crashing against the harbor rocks even from my house and that particular beach is about 3 miles away.

Meanwhile..I thought this was kinda cute:

A man stepped outside and found a deer all by himself — the next thing he knew, the whole herd was at his doorstep

Warms the heart doesn't it. My nephew has a large cattle ranch in southwestern New Mexico and he figures he feeds three elk for every one of his cows--not on purpose, it just works out that way. To be able to afford that, and also to thin the herd that would quickly overpopulate with all that extra food, he does sell permits for guided hunts (led by himself or his eldest son) to make sure that the first animal they shoot is what they take and that it is as humane as possible with no wounded animals left to die, there is no damage to the forest, etc. But he doesn't make pets of them and makes sure they remain completely wild. (The elk, not the hunters.) It would be really dangerous for them to get too friendly with people, both for the elk and the people.
Ethics are wonderful things. As a hunting guide, it was my job to ensure that my client was afforded an opportunity to bag the intended game, and no other.

I
Gracie, I saw some reports that they've been getting some pretty significant waves along the Cali coast. How does that affect you?
I take the dogs to the estuary so although it is high tide...there are no waves like at the full on beach. The inlet protects it from big assed waves...which I can hear crashing against the harbor rocks even from my house and that particular beach is about 3 miles away.

A man stepped outside and found a deer all by himself — the next thing he knew, the whole herd was at his doorstep

Warms the heart doesn't it. My nephew has a large cattle ranch in southwestern New Mexico and he figures he feeds three elk for every one of his cows--not on purpose, it just works out that way. To be able to afford that, and also to thin the herd that would quickly overpopulate with all that extra food, he does sell permits for guided hunts (led by himself or his eldest son) to make sure that the first animal they shoot is what they take and that it is as humane as possible with no wounded animals left to die, there is no damage to the forest, etc. But he doesn't make pets of them and makes sure they remain completely wild. (The elk, not the hunters.) It would be really dangerous for them to get too friendly with people, both for the elk and the people.
Ethics are wonderful things. As a hunting guide, it was my job to ensure that my client was afforded an opportunity to bag the intended game, and no other.

I think that is probably the case with most organized hunts here too. But my nephew and his family love those mountains and all the creatures on them. And their own horses, dogs, cattle etc. live a very good life. So if there is to be hunting on his land, and it really is necessary to some extent, especially in dry years when the food supply is more limited, he makes some good money making sure it is done right and as humanely as possible. And most of the proceeds of course go back into cattle feed that the elk help themselves to.

It's tough not to want to feed wild things and I sure have done that for the wild birds and, by default the rabbits and squirrels and probably other critters now and then. Again as you describe the aggressive moose, the elk can be pretty darn aggressive to if provoked or defending their young and because of their size can be very dangerous, so you don't want them to start looking to humans as a food source. And feeding the black bears that come out of the mountains is a no brainer--anybody ought to bear the brunt of the full force of law who encourages that.

I couldn't hunt myself unless I really needed the meat for food and couldn't go to the store to buy it, and I think I am a good enough shot I could hit my target if I had to. I couldn't slaughter my own beef, pork, or chickens either. Just too tender hearted. But I have no problem with responsible hunters and am glad there are people who do provide all that lovely food available to me at the super market.
Still a bit bummed over the Katahdin cadaver hanging in the garage. First time I've ever seen what a prolapsed uterus looks like 2 week before twin lambs are due. At the very least, we'll be packaging 40 lbs of mutton this morning.
That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?

Prolapsing tends to be a genetic tendency, so even if I was able to save her and the female lambs she was carrying, they would've been predisposed to do the same.

Just the nature of things. If you farm, you'll always be faced with losing an animal to predators/sickness/etc.. Doesn't make it suck any less though.

View attachment 61211

I am not particularly a salmon fan the way most places around here serve it though I used to really like a well seasoned salmon croquette. But I've never had fresh salmon, and if it is as good as a fresh trout or bass, pulled right out of the stream or lake, cleaned immediately without icing it down, and then right into the pan, I might be a convert. Really fresh fish is quite special compared to that in the grocer's stock or the frozen variety.
Aw that is sad. Isn't it still too early for lambs? Maybe not. So you are a sheep rancher? My late uncle raised Katahdin sheep. In case anybody isn't familiar with the breed, this is what they look like:

New_Generation.jpg

As I recall, he said they are raised to be lamb chops and leg of lamb as they don't really produce wool as most breeds of sheep do?

Yep, they were specifically created in the 1950's in Maine to provide meat, while being drought, disease, and famine resistant. I've spent most of this morning harvesting some legs, chops, and ground meat. The dogs are gonna love their new bone treats. They are called "hair sheep" by most of the locals around here. They shed in the springtime, and no sheering is required, or even profitable.

We've had three sets of twin lambs born so far this month (two sets not including the twins lost with the prolapsed mama), with a fourth mama currently in labor. Three more ewes after her are due within the next couple of weeks, so I'm expecting up to 12 lambs total this year.

View attachment 61211

So the guy in the photo IS you. That is super cool.

And good morning everybody. A gorgeous day in Albuquerque so far. Have to get some housework done, and make a quick trip to the grocery store and have a physical therapy session this afternoon. But feeling good--the shot in my shoulder seems to have really helped this time--and life is good.

I am not particularly a salmon fan the way most places around here serve it though I used to really like a well seasoned salmon croquette. But I've never had fresh salmon, and if it is as good as a fresh trout or bass, pulled right out of the stream or lake, cleaned immediately without icing it down, and then right into the pan, I might be a convert. Really fresh fish is quite special compared to that in the grocer's stock or the frozen variety.

View attachment 61211

My stomach is a mass grave. Sushi, tacos, linguine... None shall pass!

View attachment 61211

My stomach is a mass grave. Sushi, tacos, linguine... None shall pass!
Constipation? :D

Finished sweeping and mopping the kitchen, living room and front hallway....... Should have taken a picture to prove it...... :eusa_whistle:

BTW the wife has a strong possibility of a job in Phoenix...... Now that's desert....... The joke now is we we "sent" to El Paso to prepare us for Phoenix summers....... :lol:

BTW the wife has a strong possibility of a job in Phoenix...... Now that's desert....... The joke now is we we "sent" to El Paso to prepare us for Phoenix summers....... :lol:

Does she want the job? Shall we send prayers and/or positive vibes for that or is she hoping for something else to get her off that hook?

Forum List

Back