USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning.

Grumpy-old-man.jpg

Morning SixFoot. We haven't seen you in awhile so happy you dropped in. Even though you appear to not have quite had enough morning coffee yet. :)

Today is a new day.

coffee.jpg

Something is bothering me. Here is where I choose to share it. I hope y'all understand.

Most here know I freak out when I see abused animal pics or vids and that is why I refuse to enter any of the pet threads here at USMB cuz someone will eventually post a pic of sad/abused animals. Yes, I know it happens. I know how horrible human being can be to animals..and to other human beings. I don't have to SEE it. And I can't see it. It makes me spiral down into this dark pit of despair and I have to claw my way out. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours. Sometimes it takes days. Having depression, one must know what triggers it. Any kind of sad, horrific picture or story is enough to send me over the edge. Seeing the vid that DarkFury posted in one of his threads about some swede freezing to death on a bench, the vid itself was not about a homeless guy getting blankets or being shown where to go to get warm or even dead. No, the vid DF included was of a donkey being kicked and kicked and then kicked off a cliff. I was in shock. I thought at first the donkey was being "nudged" to move into place for carrying something for the guy and I was in shock..pure shock...FROZEN actually, to see what really was taking place. I was horrified then I came here for a few....but was still freaked out...so I ran to What's Your Mood thread but again I was still feeling the rawness....so I RAN to pinterest to look at beautiful pics because I was so upset, I needed something nice to get in my head...something beautiful to soothe my eyes....something wonderful or cute and sweet to cleanse my brain of what I just saw...only to see Pinterest post more than one AWFUL pictures of abused animals ....picked for me by their fucking asshole staff...and bombarding my already freaked out mind I have been trying to rebalance.
THAT is what has made me sad. Angry. Upset. Majorly depressed.
I don't know where to run any more. Anywhere I go, it's hate, death, cruelty, insults, nastiness, filth, disgust, despair, sadness. It overwhelms me more than anything does, this feeling of despair. It encompasses all that is happening in the world, to living things, to nature, to humans. Everything.
I am a strong person, but my weakness of kryptonite is animal abuse/cruelty and it being shoved in my face which drags up all the other horrible awful things these people of the whole world is doing to each other and all that lives on it. It takes a long long LONG time to get out what I have seen because what is seen...cannot be UNseen.

So...I feel like I am in a room, all closed off, with no really safe place to go. Is there no place safe from seeing it? Even a tv show has Sarah McClaughlin and her abused animal vids during commercials...and on the news online that I read, it shows awful pics of animals that were saved (which is wonderful but I DON'T WANT TO SEE IT), or severly abused animals that are now all better (wonderful! BUT I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE BEFORE PICS!).

This is my trigger. This is what I have trained myself to avoid. And I do a pretty good job of it. What I am saying here now is...I got sucker punched here at usmb tonight, ran to find some repair only to be sucker punched from my "go to" place which is Pinterest...which sent me over the edge again.

And I had to talk about it. Lucky you guys. Not.

I didn't know where else to go to speak of it. And I had to. So here it is.

I'm with you. While I understand why some wouldn't want to see it, I am not bothered by a photo of a hunter's trophy deer or whatever. But I don't enjoy watching any of God's creatures, including humans, being mistreated or injured or suffering in any way, physically or emotionally or mentally. I can't watch the commercials soliciting donations for abused and neglected animals even though a number of my family are hands on involved in those programs. I don't enjoy the You Tube videos where the cat falls from a high place or people slip and fall on the ice, or otherwise hurt or injure themselves etc. I don't enjoy watching another's pain in photos, you tube, on television, or in the movies. Not at all funny or entertaining to me. And I can appreciate, as Kat said, not being able to unsee terrible things once we see them. Or even reading about them. And it upsets me too.

Last edited:
Still a bit bummed over the Katahdin cadaver hanging in the garage. First time I've ever seen what a prolapsed uterus looks like 2 week before twin lambs are due. At the very least, we'll be packaging 40 lbs of mutton this morning.

Still a bit bummed over the Katahdin cadaver hanging in the garage. First time I've ever seen what a prolapsed uterus looks like 2 week before twin lambs are due. At the very least, we'll be packaging 40 lbs of mutton this morning.

Aw that is sad. Isn't it still too early for lambs? Maybe not. So you are a sheep rancher? My late uncle raised Katahdin sheep. In case anybody isn't familiar with the breed, this is what they look like:

New_Generation.jpg

As I recall, he said they are raised to be lamb chops and leg of lamb as they don't really produce wool as most breeds of sheep do?

Last edited:

Aw that is sad. Isn't it still too early for lambs? Maybe not. So you are a sheep rancher? My late uncle raised Katahdin sheep. In case anybody isn't familiar with the breed, this is what they look like:

New_Generation.jpg

As I recall, he said they are raised to be lamb chops and leg of lamb as they don't really produce wool as most breeds of sheep do?

Yep, they were specifically created in the 1950's in Maine to provide meat, while being drought, disease, and famine resistant. I've spent most of this morning harvesting some legs, chops, and ground meat. The dogs are gonna love their new bone treats. They are called "hair sheep" by most of the locals around here. They shed in the springtime, and no sheering is required, or even profitable.

We've had three sets of twin lambs born so far this month (two sets not including the twins lost with the prolapsed mama), with a fourth mama currently in labor. Three more ewes after her are due within the next couple of weeks, so I'm expecting up to 12 lambs total this year.

New_Generation.jpg

Yep, they were specifically created in the 1950's in Maine to provide meat, while being drought, disease, and famine resistant. I've spent most of this morning harvesting some legs, chops, and ground meat. The dogs are gonna love their new bone treats. They are called "hair sheep" by most of the locals around here. They shed in the springtime, and no sheering is required, or even profitable.

We've had three sets of twin lambs born so far this month (two sets not including the twins lost with the prolapsed mama), with a fourth mama currently in labor. Three more ewes after her are due within the next couple of weeks, so I'm expecting up to 12 lambs total this year.

Wow. I thought only race horses were bred to drop their young in the dead of winter, but what do I know. :) But really interesting. Are the
Katahdin lambs as much fun as GW's baby goats?

New_Generation.jpg

Wow. I thought only race horses were bred to drop their young in the dead of winter, but what do I know. :) But really interesting. Are the

Goats are more entertaining creatures, but they don't taste nearly as good as lamb!

12650429_1671175356471384_494023777_n.jpg

New_Generation.jpg

Goats are more entertaining creatures, but they don't taste nearly as good as lamb!

View attachment 61211

Well not being into sushi or tartar or any other raw animal products, even rare anything, I can say the photo doesn't make me desire either. :) But is that you? I have had lamb that was delicious and some I didn't care for--too fatty. And I have had goat that was delicious and some I didn't care for. So I really have no firm preference of one over the other.

New_Generation.jpg

View attachment 61211

Eww! Is that guy eating raw meat? *shudders*

New_Generation.jpg

View attachment 61211

Think of it as country sushi. :)

New_Generation.jpg

View attachment 61211

Funny! I was just posting on one of the food threads saying how I don't think sushi sounds or looks very appetizing, so that's not going to work! :lol:

View attachment 61211

Funny! I was just posting on one of the food threads saying how I don't think sushi sounds or looks very appetizing, so that's not going to work! :lol:

My favorite is when someone who knows I don't like seafood says, "You should try sushi. It doesn't taste like seafood!". :lol: As though cooking fish adds a fishy taste that normally isn't there? :p

View attachment 61211

My favorite is when someone who knows I don't like seafood says, "You should try sushi. It doesn't taste like seafood!". :lol: As though cooking fish adds a fishy taste that normally isn't there? :p

That's because you drown it in sauce! Lol! Although I'm from NE, I only like the white flaky fish that is batter coated . . . or I cook it in the oven with butter and cracker crumbs and lemon. I do like shrimp, clams and lobster and crab though.

For those of you who thought suspension springs and not tub seal or tub bearing, thanks and we were right. Parts ordered and the washing machine should make a full recovery.

View attachment 61211

That's because you drown it in sauce! Lol! Although I'm from NE, I only like the white flaky fish that is batter coated . . . or I cook it in the oven with butter and cracker crumbs and lemon. I do like shrimp, clams and lobster and crab though.

Heh, I generally don't like sauces, either. :p

Gracie, I saw some reports that they've been getting some pretty significant waves along the Cali coast. How does that affect you?
I take the dogs to the estuary so although it is high tide...there are no waves like at the full on beach. The inlet protects it from big assed waves...which I can hear crashing against the harbor rocks even from my house and that particular beach is about 3 miles away.

Meanwhile..I thought this was kinda cute:

A man stepped outside and found a deer all by himself — the next thing he knew, the whole herd was at his doorstep

Warms the heart doesn't it. My nephew has a large cattle ranch in southwestern New Mexico and he figures he feeds three elk for every one of his cows--not on purpose, it just works out that way. To be able to afford that, and also to thin the herd that would quickly overpopulate with all that extra food, he does sell permits for guided hunts (led by himself or his eldest son) to make sure that the first animal they shoot is what they take and that it is as humane as possible with no wounded animals left to die, there is no damage to the forest, etc. But he doesn't make pets of them and makes sure they remain completely wild. (The elk, not the hunters.) It would be really dangerous for them to get too friendly with people, both for the elk and the people.
Ethics are wonderful things. As a hunting guide, it was my job to ensure that my client was afforded an opportunity to bag the intended game, and no other.

I
Gracie, I saw some reports that they've been getting some pretty significant waves along the Cali coast. How does that affect you?
I take the dogs to the estuary so although it is high tide...there are no waves like at the full on beach. The inlet protects it from big assed waves...which I can hear crashing against the harbor rocks even from my house and that particular beach is about 3 miles away.

A man stepped outside and found a deer all by himself — the next thing he knew, the whole herd was at his doorstep

Warms the heart doesn't it. My nephew has a large cattle ranch in southwestern New Mexico and he figures he feeds three elk for every one of his cows--not on purpose, it just works out that way. To be able to afford that, and also to thin the herd that would quickly overpopulate with all that extra food, he does sell permits for guided hunts (led by himself or his eldest son) to make sure that the first animal they shoot is what they take and that it is as humane as possible with no wounded animals left to die, there is no damage to the forest, etc. But he doesn't make pets of them and makes sure they remain completely wild. (The elk, not the hunters.) It would be really dangerous for them to get too friendly with people, both for the elk and the people.
Ethics are wonderful things. As a hunting guide, it was my job to ensure that my client was afforded an opportunity to bag the intended game, and no other.

I think that is probably the case with most organized hunts here too. But my nephew and his family love those mountains and all the creatures on them. And their own horses, dogs, cattle etc. live a very good life. So if there is to be hunting on his land, and it really is necessary to some extent, especially in dry years when the food supply is more limited, he makes some good money making sure it is done right and as humanely as possible. And most of the proceeds of course go back into cattle feed that the elk help themselves to.

It's tough not to want to feed wild things and I sure have done that for the wild birds and, by default the rabbits and squirrels and probably other critters now and then. Again as you describe the aggressive moose, the elk can be pretty darn aggressive to if provoked or defending their young and because of their size can be very dangerous, so you don't want them to start looking to humans as a food source. And feeding the black bears that come out of the mountains is a no brainer--anybody ought to bear the brunt of the full force of law who encourages that.

I couldn't hunt myself unless I really needed the meat for food and couldn't go to the store to buy it, and I think I am a good enough shot I could hit my target if I had to. I couldn't slaughter my own beef, pork, or chickens either. Just too tender hearted. But I have no problem with responsible hunters and am glad there are people who do provide all that lovely food available to me at the super market.
That's a real shame about the ewe and lambs, 6'. Any idea what caused the prolapse?

Forum List

Back