USMB Coffee Shop IV

DSC_0317.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

DSC_0319.JPG

It looked like this only the all the metal was blued.

f49ca9174225cacc7a981af7cf0dc6bf.jpg
Is this what they call a 'coach gun'?

When I asked a friend who fires single action pistols what type of gun I should buy for home defense, he told me either a coach gun or a pump action 12 gauge. I chose the 12 gauge. I fired it a couple times and then thoroughly cleaned it, loaded it and mounted it in one of my new closets. Should I unload it and clean it occasionally?

Pop never had guns and I was not schooled in the care and feeding of them. But I figure if I'm going to keep one in the house for the 'just in case', I should be responsible and care for it properly.

By the way, that's a beautiful and impressive weapon.
No, it's a muzzleloading 12 gage 1830s/1840s and up through the 1870s, the so called coach gun is a "break open" cartridge shotgun with a short barrel invented in the late 1860s, the term "coach gun" was coined in 1858 by Wells Fargo guards who preferred a shotgun over a rifle for defense when transporting money. One of the most prolific firearms in the west were shotguns one of the few "guns" that actually won the west.
This is the proverbial coach gun.

double-barrel-hammer-coach-gun-1280.jpg

By the mid 1870s the internal hammer had been invented and basically from the mid 1880s on most shotguns were sold with internal hammers.

CoachGun.JPG

Unload the shotgun from time to time if it's a pump action to relieve tension on the springs, if it's a standard single or double barrel that you have to reload every time you fire it you can leave it loaded but I would switch out the cartilages once in a while.
Yes you should also clean it fairly regularly.

Here's a basic cleaning video.

What specific brand/model do you have?

It's a Mossburg 500 something.

Thanks for the information. It was a treatise on the history of shotguns and fascinating!

A VERY brief, very incomplete history, thanks for not being bored....... :D

Here's a cleaning video specifically for a Mossberg 500, it's not as daunting as it might appear.

Insurance exam this morning actually happened. 118/84 left arm 120/84 in the right. The lower number is actually a few points below the last time three years ago. Waiting to see if seven years of oatmeal for breakfast makes for good numbers on cholesterol. I have to check online for those in a few days.

Good morning everybody. I'm up late. I tried sleeping in the bed (with my bad shoulder) for the first time in weeks last night. When I slept I definitely slept well, but many times woke up with the shoulder stinging. Will keep trying pillow combinations to find a way to stabilize it through the night.

We didn't accomplish much with Senior Saints yesterday--will have a field trip outing next month and just wing it for awhile I suppose. Unfortunately we have a team leader who tends to micromanage everything--not in a good way--but completely fails to lead and nobody really wanted to be assertive. But oh well. She is a terrific person otherwise and what will be will be.

So on with the day. More closet clean outs for me.

Insurance exam this morning actually happened. 118/84 left arm 120/84 in the right. The lower number is actually a few points below the last time three years ago. Waiting to see if seven years of oatmeal for breakfast makes for good numbers on cholesterol. I have to check online for those in a few days.

Those are pretty good numbers. Wonder why they take it in both arms? None of the medical types do that here.

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home, and the entire front of the store was overwhelmed by all the potted and cut flowers offered for sale. Really pretty though. Valentine's Day is Sunday.

I was just wondering if getting flowers are really important to the other gals (or guys for that matter) in the Coffee Shop? I love flowers myself, but they are way down on my preferred gift list. I would much rather do something fun or receive something beautiful and lasting or useful. Is that just me?

But for those who like giving or getting flowers, some important advice:

12718342_10154046510422275_6668165445061937084_n.jpg

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home, and the entire front of the store was overwhelmed by all the potted and cut flowers offered for sale. Really pretty though. Valentine's Day is Sunday.

I was just wondering if getting flowers are really important to the other gals (or guys for that matter) in the Coffee Shop? I love flowers myself, but they are way down on my preferred gift list. I would much rather do something fun or receive something beautiful and lasting or useful. Is that just me?

Here ya go, something that's lasting (well at least replentishable) and useful.......

Multigrain%20pan%20bread%20flour.JPG

Flours...... :eusa_whistle:

Here ya go, something that's lasting (well at least replentishable) and useful.......

Multigrain%20pan%20bread%20flour.JPG

Flours...... :eusa_whistle:

I love it! But I would prefer all wheat flours I think. I don't have any recipes (or desire) to use the others.

Those are pretty good numbers. Wonder why they take it in both arms? None of the medical types do that here.

I am happy, because those numbers require absolutely no meds to get them. Maybe people relax more for the second reading?

I'm agreeing with Montro and Sixfoot. 5

(I'm surprised somebody wasn't really pedantic and pointed out those are mares though. :))

There will always be mares, stallions, foals (which to me are either sex) and fillies, but for me they are all horses.

Just stopping by for a short visit. Our first test is this afternoon and class prep on test days is minimal. I even got some papers graded (I hate grading papers!)
As to the question concerning plants as gifts: most of my four-legged roommates consider both potted plants and cut flowers the most refreshing salad bar offerings. So, no plants around here unless they are food on purpose.
Speaking of salads, I made up some hearts of romaine with homemade Roquefort dressing. It was all good until my old-lady cat decided to lick the dressing off the greens. I kinda lost my appetite.
Well, guess I should get my butt in gear. Y'all have a great day.

Just stopping by for a short visit. Our first test is this afternoon and class prep on test days is minimal. I even got some papers graded (I hate grading papers!)
As to the question concerning plants as gifts: most of my four-legged roommates consider both potted plants and cut flowers the most refreshing salad bar offerings. So, no plants around here unless they are food on purpose.
Speaking of salads, I made up some hearts of romaine with homemade Roquefort dressing. It was all good until my old-lady cat decided to lick the dressing off the greens. I kinda lost my appetite.

Do you really prefer romaine lettuce? Are the hearts crispier than the outer leaves? I know, I know that romaine and spinach and kale, etc. are all far more nutritious than iceberg lettuce. But I still prefer the clean, crisp crunch of iceberg in my salads and on my sandwiches.

Also I just learned that red onions have roughly 10 times the nutrition of white onions and quite a bit more than yellow onions. So now I am struggling. Will I give up my beloved Vidalias, or Texas or Colorado sweets for the extra nutrition in red onions? Do I eat enough onions that it is really an issue?

LOL
All of the teacher's I have ever known, has said that they hate grading papers.

Forum List

Back