USMB Coffee Shop IV

But of course there would be a frost warning issued for the night after I planted the window boxes. I did drape bath towels over them last evening. I bought $113.00 worth of annuals (verbena, superbelles, salvia and some funky purplish vining plant) mixed up some fresh Miracle Grow potting mix, threw in some water retaining crystals and a little sweat from my brow and viola! Window boxes done!

I have sweet potato vines for the flower pouches which hang from the posts on the railing. I have two flats of magnolias fro the borders and a variety of wave petunia, White Russian, with a spike and some vinca vines for the container.

Now, all I have to do is mow the lawn, chop down the tulips ruined by the hail storm, plant the magnolias and the container and the pouches, walk Daisy the Mutt and finish the laundry. I'm taking this afternoon off to get that done.

Plenty of photos to come!

I wish you good weather, and look forward to seeing your pictures, Nosmo King! I love them so. :)
I'll take some pictures of the hail damaged tulips before I chop them down. I wish they could have lasted longer than one week. But, the blossoms were knocked off and the stems are laying on the ground. I don't think there will be much harm done if I just cut them with my shears at the base and call it tulip season.

Good morning everybody. So I shut down everything in the great room last night and stop by the office on my way to bed--intentions to post the Vigil List. I first answer a couple of PMs and then just as I try to log into the Coffee Shop, I get a 'unable to connect to the internet' message. I check the modem and sure enough, all the lights are out. I call Comcast and their robo answerer informs me where I live and advises me that services are out in our area due to an 'audit'???? They are working on the problem, however, and expect to restore service by 5 a.m. Well, I love you guys but I wasn't going to stay up until 5 a.m. :) There weren't any changes on the list though.

So Happy Monday everybody. We're still enjoying our much warmer weather. Hombre even got up and went for a walk this morning but after not doing it all winter, he said it was a lot harder to do. I'll just stick with the treadmill I think.

So more coffee and wishes for a blessed day for all . . . .

Good morning everybody. So I shut down everything in the great room last night and stop by the office on my way to bed--intentions to post the Vigil List. I first answer a couple of PMs and then just as I try to log into the Coffee Shop, I get a 'unable to connect to the internet' message. I check the modem and sure enough, all the lights are out. I call Comcast and their robo answerer informs me where I live and advises me that services are out in our area due to an 'audit'???? They are working on the problem, however, and expect to restore service by 5 a.m. Well, I love you guys but I wasn't going to stay up until 5 a.m. :) There weren't any changes on the list though.

So Happy Monday everybody. We're still enjoying our much warmer weather. Hombre even got up and went for a walk this morning but after not doing it all winter, he said it was a lot harder to do. I'll just stick with the treadmill I think.

Have a good Monday, Foxfyre.

Everyone is out and about and in doubt on a Monday morning.

About right, innit?

Showers are good. They save the effort of having to water the lawn and the vegetable garden. On the other hand, they also make the grass grow faster which means cutting it more often. We can't win unless we replace the lawn with 100% desert landscaping.

Weekends do indeed go by fast, too bad the rest of the week tends to drag. One way to fix this is to make sure there's enough tee... like tee off time on the golf course. :D

I wish it would rain once a week at a specific time for a specific length of time. I could schedule around it better, but alas, I'm glad to get rain when I can because for the last 3 or 4 years, we haven't been getting too much. One of our lakes has almost totally dried up.

622x350.jpg

LAKEHILLS — Tourists are steering clear, businesses have closed and wells are failing in this shoreline town because of troubles with its lifeblood, Medina Lake, according to those who work and live here.

The reservoir only is about 9-percent full, leaving “waterfront” homeowners a long walk from wetness, docks grounded and locals anxious about the future.

The café that Johnny Hubbell opened in 2010 did fine until the falling lake sucked away customers.

“We were very successful until the lake dried up,” said Hubbell, who closed shop in September. “It killed us.”
Residents on edge as Medina Lake evaporates - San Antonio Express-News
Looks like the drought is affecting several states. The entire state of California is currently under a severe drought. This is serious as it impacts food prices. Meat and dairy products are affected. Not to mention fruits, especially strawberries since California supplies a good portion of the strawberries that we eat.

Rain for the west on prayer list. :eusa_pray:

thats the problem with monopolies. when you are the only game in town you can make the rules

That is indeed interesting, because I have now lived in Germany almost 17 years, came here when I was 33, and now I dream almost exclusively in German (sometimes in French). My little one was born here, so German is her primary language, but since very very first day on Earth, I have only spoken English with her. There have been entire months where the only two people I spoke English to were my daughter and my sister (who lives in the States). My daughter is going through the phase where she sometimes thinks in German and sometimes in English. It is fascinating to watch, because she gets a certain look of concentration on her face when she is thinking in English... wow.

wow, that just struck me as being really cool. you dream in german. I guess I never really thought about it, but eventually I guess you assimilate to that point.

I like the word "assimilate" in some ways, [MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION], and think it's pretty appropriate here. In order to really hone-up on the German language, I took the advice of a good friend and mentor, who recommended that in my first two years, I first establish a circle of German friends and talk with them only in German, cost what it will, and since I do lots of sports, that was easy to do. He also recommended that I buy books that I had already read in English and this time, read them in German. So, I started with Frank Herbert's DUNE trilogy. He then recommended that when I watch TV, only Station 1 (ARD) and Station 2 (ZDF), because the reporters speak perfect High German (Hochdeutsch) - without accent. Of course, everyone has an accent of sorts, but the concensus is that the cleanest of High German comes from the city of Hannover, so it is called "hannoverisches Deutsch". So, yeah, the assimilation thing happens with time, but I am still through and through a US-American and proud of it.

After being here so long, I note even the slight changes in body language and clothing that separates Americans from Germans. Just yesterday, when I was with my little one at a fete (with lots of jarring rides, cotton candy, the works), as we walked by a couple with two kids, based on how the guy was walking and wearing his jeans, I know he was an "Ami" (the German slang for "US-American") and sure enough as we passed that couple, he was speaking English with a midwestern Accent. I said a quick hi to him and his wife, it ends up they are from Auburn Hills, Michigan (suburb of Detroit) and he studied at the University of Akron, which is one of my two Alma Maters. Small world. Chuckle, chuckle.

Now, if I catch a film in English late in the evening, a strange thing often happens: in my dream, I rerun part of the film, but in German, in spite of the fact that I just saw the film in English. The human brain is an amazing thing.

So, yeah, "assimilated" is pretty accurate. :lol:

Another simple aid I found useful -- I worked as an au pair boy part of my time in France and the kids had Donald Duck comic books. So it's easy to see what's going on, simple action, and the vernacular is common argot. Some of their comics were in German (the mother there was German) which was a big help there too.

They had two boys, 8 and 15 years old. With the 8-year-old I could converse in French fine, but the 15-year-old talked so fast and slurred his words he was incomprehensible. So he'd speak to me in German and I'd respond in French, and we got it done. :)

Good afternoon Everyone,

Hope you're all having a wonderful day, it is so beautiful here today and I continue to pack up the house.

I got a summons to jury duty yesterday for the day I will start moving of course. I called them and they postponed my service date to sometime in June so I'm happy they didn't give me a hard time about it.

Have fun, I'll check in later. :D

Well coffee shoppers, it's been a busy, BUSY kinda last couple of days, and I know I've missed a bunch here but aren't going to read back through 10 pages.

I do have a few pics to post, of a particular hill near where I live of effigies. I've always known this area has more effigies than any other place on earth, and that scholars can't really date them or know who made them. But the native Americans do claim them as holy places. This hill that I have the following pictures of is about the best example of the local effigies around, and I've been past this hill a thousand times. I knew of the tour to go up there too but never got around to making it. I am very interested in this sort of thing so was very glad I made it too.

This first picture is a scan from a print out that they gave us of the top of the hill and it's effigies...

ThreeEaglesEfigyMounds-0_zps605493e8.jpg

Here's the same hill viewed with Google Earth, 2013 imagery...

frankshill_zpsd616ffcb.jpg

At the bottom of the hill just up the drive a little way from the highway...

IMG_0209-0_zps6bb7c3ec.jpg

IMG_0208-0_zpsd5038eb6.jpg

Looking towards the top of the hill from the sign. It's a lot steeper and farther up there than pictures portray. For some reason, cameras never seem to really show "grade" very well...

IMG_0210-0_zps81378473.jpg

Other interested people on the tour heading for the top...

IMG_0213-0_zps6613377a.jpg

Looking back down the road...

IMG_0212-0_zps40645365.jpg

The effigies themselves...

IMG_0219-0_zps61b318ec.jpg

IMG_0220-0_zpsfe453f70.jpg

IMG_0223-0_zpsa553c853.jpg

Looking in different directions from on top. Can see for quite a few miles. This is the Wisconsin River Valley, and my kind of country....

IMG_0222-0_zps611d0cf0.jpg

IMG_0221-0_zpsdd974f88.jpg

IMG_0218-0_zps7b2fbbb7.jpg

IMG_0216-0_zpsbd898f48.jpg

Between the lighter colored trees above the silos and the darker pines behind them is the Wisconsin River.

IMG_0224_zps14e86a86.jpg

Native Americans were very thick in this part of the country, even prehistoric man. There was a Mastodon found in a little town near here called Boaz that had a flint rock arrow head lodged in it's ribs, so obviously there was early man and Mastodons here together at one point in time. Pretty incredible stuff.

One other thing, all those effigies line up with other effigies near that have partly been destroyed, but they all line up with the winter and summer equinox, and evidently there's a pow wow type get together up there for the morning of June 1st, where the effigies "give birth to the new sun," or something like that, and I'm going if I can find out about it.

Last edited:

thats the problem with monopolies. when you are the only game in town you can make the rules

Comcast doesn't have a monopoly in our area though. We have access to pretty much all of them: Dish, Direct TV, Verizon et al. We bundle with Comcast because of the excellent service and usual reliablilty that at least some of the others don't have a reputation for here.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
wow, that just struck me as being really cool. you dream in german. I guess I never really thought about it, but eventually I guess you assimilate to that point.

I like the word "assimilate" in some ways, [MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION], and think it's pretty appropriate here. In order to really hone-up on the German language, I took the advice of a good friend and mentor, who recommended that in my first two years, I first establish a circle of German friends and talk with them only in German, cost what it will, and since I do lots of sports, that was easy to do. He also recommended that I buy books that I had already read in English and this time, read them in German. So, I started with Frank Herbert's DUNE trilogy. He then recommended that when I watch TV, only Station 1 (ARD) and Station 2 (ZDF), because the reporters speak perfect High German (Hochdeutsch) - without accent. Of course, everyone has an accent of sorts, but the concensus is that the cleanest of High German comes from the city of Hannover, so it is called "hannoverisches Deutsch". So, yeah, the assimilation thing happens with time, but I am still through and through a US-American and proud of it.

After being here so long, I note even the slight changes in body language and clothing that separates Americans from Germans. Just yesterday, when I was with my little one at a fete (with lots of jarring rides, cotton candy, the works), as we walked by a couple with two kids, based on how the guy was walking and wearing his jeans, I know he was an "Ami" (the German slang for "US-American") and sure enough as we passed that couple, he was speaking English with a midwestern Accent. I said a quick hi to him and his wife, it ends up they are from Auburn Hills, Michigan (suburb of Detroit) and he studied at the University of Akron, which is one of my two Alma Maters. Small world. Chuckle, chuckle.

Now, if I catch a film in English late in the evening, a strange thing often happens: in my dream, I rerun part of the film, but in German, in spite of the fact that I just saw the film in English. The human brain is an amazing thing.

Another simple aid I found useful -- I worked as an au pair boy part of my time in France and the kids had Donald Duck comic books. So it's easy to see what's going on, simple action, and the vernacular is common argot. Some of their comics were in German (the mother there was German) which was a big help there too.

They had two boys, 8 and 15 years old. With the 8-year-old I could converse in French fine, but the 15-year-old talked so fast and slurred his words he was incomprehensible. So he'd speak to me in German and I'd respond in French, and we got it done. :)

I work with most of my daily clients in German, 2 of them in French, 2 in English, 1 pa Russki and 1 in Japanese. What a wild ride. :D

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007

About right, innit?

I work with most of my daily clients in German, 2 of them in French, 2 in English, 1 pa Russki and 1 in Japanese. What a wild ride. :D

Do you speak all those languages?

About right, innit?

Do you speak all those languages?

I am completely fluent in German and half-way fluent in French, have what is known as more than passive understanding (meaning, I can hold a conversation, but don't ask me to give a lecture or read a long book) in Russian and have learned the basics for starting communication in Nihonji (Japanese) to at least meet my clients' needs. I went on tour in Japan in 2001, it was a blast. But the big three for me are German, English and French - in order of daily usage.

Yeah My ex learned her English pretty fast too, but she learned it from a group of young troops in the Bars of Germany....You can imagine how i wanted to shrink under the table when i brought her home and at dinner she looks at Mom and says "Pass the fucking potatoes."

Everyone I've dated has been at least partially ethnic German (pretty much everybody where I live is) but never from Germany. In fact, I've never even been to Germany.

Interesting, CorvusRexus, as the men I have loved, also have been of German descent. Something about me likes something about them...:D I am of Irish, Scottish, English and Native American descent.

My grandfather, on my mother's side, was from Saxony, Germany and came to the US in the late 20's.

Everyone I've dated has been at least partially ethnic German (pretty much everybody where I live is) but never from Germany. In fact, I've never even been to Germany.

Interesting, CorvusRexus, as the men I have loved, also have been of German descent. Something about me likes something about them...:D I am of Irish, Scottish, English and Native American descent.

My grandfather, on my mother's side, was from Saxony, Germany and came to the US in the late 20's.

The Dialect spoken in Saxony is called "Sächsisch" and it is like- uh, unearthly. There are Germans from the western part of Germany who can barely understand "Sächsisch". lol.... one thing is for sure: it ain't High German!!!

My maternal grandmother's mother was a Schweitzer that we have traced to Austria. We haven't been able to locate any birth record in the USA so far and believe it is probable that she immigrated from Austria, however we haven't been able to verify that via the Ellis Island registry either. One of those mysteries. :)

My maternal grandmother's mother was a Schweitzer that we have traced to Austria. We haven't been able to locate any birth record in the USA so far and believe it is probable that she immigrated from Austria, however we haven't been able to verify that via the Ellis Island registry either. One of those mysteries. :)

If your maternal grandmother emigrated from somewhere in Europe between 1896-1904, the chances are very good that she did not come through Ellis Island, it was closed for all sorts of people during that span of time. Many were re-routed over Montreal, Canada during this time.

Also, due to the Revolutions of 1848, there were waves of emigration/immigration, especially out of Baden-Württemberg in Germany and out of Kärnten in Austria, many of them first went EAST before going WEST (little known chapter in emigration history), and those waves lasted about 40 years in time.

Also, the borders were different then: an Austrian may have also had a Slovenian pass, depending on where he lived, or he may have had a Swiss pass. And Poland? Geez, the borders have shifted so often, many a time people have no idea where to say a certain ancestor came from if he or she came from "Poland". It took me a while to find the one set of Great-Grandparents for, although everyone said they came from Poland, their official nationality was, as I learned, Ukrainian.

Also, the name Schweitzer could have likely been spelled "Schweizer" at that time (and means: "Swiss"). The "t" was likely added on the American side so that people would not pronounce the "z" in the usual American fashion, but rather, as a "ts".

Two sets of great-grandparents in my family came over via Warsaw-Wales-Montreal and eventually landed up in the Ohio Valley.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in more information.

Last edited:

If your maternal grandmother emigrated from somewhere in Europe between 1896-1904, the chances are very good that she did not come through Ellis Island, it was closed for all sorts of people during that span of time. Many were re-routed over Montreal, Canada during this time.

Also, due to the Revolutions of 1848, there were waves of emigration/immigration, especially out of Baden-Württemberg in Germany and out of Kärnten in Austria, many of them first went EAST before going WEST (little known chapter in emigration history), and those waves lasted about 40 years in time.

Also, the borders were different then: an Austrian may have also had a Slovenian pass, depending on where he lived, or he may have had a Swiss pass. And Poland? Geez, the borders have shifted so often, many a time people have no idea where to say a certain ancestor came from if he or she came from "Poland". It took me a while to find the one set of Great-Grandparents for, although everyone said they came from Poland, their official nationality was, as I learned, Ukrainian.

Also, the name Schweitzer could have likely been spelled "Schweizer" at that time (and means: "Swiss"). The "t" was likely added on the American side so that people would not pronounce the "z" in the usual American fashion, but rather, as a "ts".

Two sets of great-grandparents in my family came over via Warsaw-Wales-Montreal and eventually landed up in the Ohio Valley.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in more information.

Thanks. I just dabble in the geneaology; our son is into it all pretty heavily, and he has mentioned some of what you're saying. We have found her on census records; we just haven't found a birth record or point of entry.

Forum List

Back