USMB Coffee Shop IV

Does anyone here watch Friday Night Tykes: Steel Country? This horror of a show was filmed in the county I was born and raised. I played football aganist everyone of these teams as kid and in high school.

I try to avoid those horror of shows. :)

Same here. The fact that it was filmed in my area has compelled me, though. I am wanted to see if much has changed since I played. Hint: it hasn't. lol

That's why I have suffered through so many episodes of "Breaking Bad". Despite its rave reviews, I find it a decidedly depressing show, but watch it for glimpses of Albuquerque where I live and where it was filmed.

My sister lent me the entire series of "breaking bad", and I enjoyed it. If you found it hard going I definitely cannot recommend the TV series of "Spartacus", as that is full of extreme violence. You see peoples heads cut off in camera. I don't know how they film such things, unless it is all computer graphics that are totally realistic.
I am following "game of thrones" and my sister is buying me series five for my birthday.

Does anyone here watch Friday Night Tykes: Steel Country? This horror of a show was filmed in the county I was born and raised. I played football aganist everyone of these teams as kid and in high school.

Same here. The fact that it was filmed in my area has compelled me, though. I am wanted to see if much has changed since I played. Hint: it hasn't. lol

That's why I have suffered through so many episodes of "Breaking Bad". Despite its rave reviews, I find it a decidedly depressing show, but watch it for glimpses of Albuquerque where I live and where it was filmed.

My sister lent me the entire series of "breaking bad", and I enjoyed it. If you found it hard going I definitely cannot recommend the TV series of "Spartacus", as that is full of extreme violence. You see peoples heads cut off in camera. I don't know how they film such things, unless it is all computer graphics that are totally realistic.
I am following "game of thrones" and my sister is buying me series five for my birthday.

No, I don't watch "Spartacus" or "Game of Thrones" because I know I would not enjoy them. I am to the stage of life that I seek things that make me smile, give me a lift, are inspiring or encouraging or just great escapism without all all the IMO unnecessary gratuitous sex and violence. Something like the movie "Speed" for instance that gives you all the thrill, sense of danger, excitement etc. of a mad bomber that wrecks and threatens deadly havoc, but there is no gratuitous gore or blood etc. I loved the movie "Armageddon" for the same reasons though I think their special effects were so drawn out and excessive as to be boring at times.

I am the kind of person who can watch Disney's "Cinderella" and just lose myself in the fairy tale I grew up with. I absolutely loved it.

No, I don't watch "Spartacus" or "Game of Thrones" because I know I would not enjoy them. I am to the stage of life that I seek things that make me smile, give me a lift, are inspiring or encouraging or just great escapism without all all the IMO unnecessary gratuitous sex and violence. Something like the movie "Speed" for instance that gives you all the thrill, sense of danger, excitement etc. of a mad bomber that wrecks and threatens deadly havoc, but there is no gratuitous gore or blood etc. I loved the movie "Armageddon" for the same reasons though I think their special effects were so drawn out and excessive as to be boring at times.

I am the kind of person who can watch Disney's "Cinderella" and just lose myself in the fairy tale I grew up with. I absolutely loved it.

I watched Disney's, "snow white and the seven dwarves " last Sunday, for old times sake. It was the first time it has been on British TV. I remembered some of the scenes from seeing it in my childhood. Then later I watched the remake of Carrie as a complete contrast. I no longer usually watch horror films if there is a choice of something more homely. They give me the creeps.
I like science fiction and I have a number of trilogy's . I have "men in black" , "the matrix", "Xmen" ,"The mummy" and "lord of the rings"

No winter here but we did finally get some rain last night which of course means I'm walking around in a mental fog due to allergies.
(Yes I know, I know, not due to the regularly scheduled mental fog........) :D

Job update. The wife was supposed to have a Skype interview with the hospital in Vail but it was postponed one of the group interviewers was sick. They really seem to like her but we'll see. The other problem is the cost of housing in Vail is astronomical so most people live up to an hour away. The hospital does provide a shuttle to some of these places but either there's nothing (amenity wise) there or it's still pretty expensive. Denver is about 2 hours east on I70 so that would be a long commute even under good conditions. The HR person did tell the wife the cost of rentals drops when the the ski season is over with.

I used to type reports for Vail Valley Medical Center in Colorado. Never been there though. Hopefully she gets the job! Fingers crossed.

I just heard a news report about a man in Leominster who was killed while cutting down a tree branch in a bucket truck. The man apparently wasn't wearing a harness and the branch hit the bucket, and the man fell out from 60 feet and was killed. That's scary to me because my son does that for a living. He not only works in a bucket but he also "spikes" up the trees when they can't reach it or get to it with the bucket. He's only 21, so he is still fearless. I'm going to text him right now and tell him that he'd better wear his harness and be careful!

It is scary when our kids have dangerous jobs (our son) or are the fearless types that aren't the most safety conscious (our daughter). But what are you going to do?

Remind him to not become complacent and always be careful and aware. That accident with that guy should not have happened is what my son told me. There were lots of mistakes made there. One being he was not using a harness, and that limb should have been roped off and being controlled by the ground crew.

I just heard a news report about a man in Leominster who was killed while cutting down a tree branch in a bucket truck. The man apparently wasn't wearing a harness and the branch hit the bucket, and the man fell out from 60 feet and was killed. That's scary to me because my son does that for a living. He not only works in a bucket but he also "spikes" up the trees when they can't reach it or get to it with the bucket. He's only 21, so he is still fearless. I'm going to text him right now and tell him that he'd better wear his harness and be careful!

It is scary when our kids have dangerous jobs (our son) or are the fearless types that aren't the most safety conscious (our daughter). But what are you going to do?
Not only did my son join the Army and go to Iraq, but he spent his time there disarming bombs. We both lied through it.

Yeah, that would be scarier than what my kids have done/do.

It's always scary whenever your kids are doing something dangerous. This is what my son has chosen to do for a living, so I wonder what the odds are that he will have an accident someday.

Not only did my son join the Army and go to Iraq, but he spent his time there disarming bombs. We both lied through it.

Yeah, that would be scarier than what my kids have done/do.
It was scary but appealing at the same time. It's a guy thing. Then he called me from Buquba one day after a mission. He was in charge of the 6 man team. They arrived at the coordinates and got out of the Humvee to check out the device. None of them were familiar with the design and it appeared to be rigged to blow if moved. My boy ordered everyone back into the Humvee and told his driver to move off about 100 yards. He chambered a round in the M-2 BMG and ran off a belt. His comment to me? "Dad, if it don't blow up after getting shot by Ma Deuce, it ain't going to blow up."

No winter here but we did finally get some rain last night which of course means I'm walking around in a mental fog due to allergies.

Job update. The wife was supposed to have a Skype interview with the hospital in Vail but it was postponed one of the group interviewers was sick. They really seem to like her but we'll see. The other problem is the cost of housing in Vail is astronomical so most people live up to an hour away. The hospital does provide a shuttle to some of these places but either there's nothing (amenity wise) there or it's still pretty expensive. Denver is about 2 hours east on I70 so that would be a long commute even under good conditions. The HR person did tell the wife the cost of rentals drops when the the ski season is over with.

I used to type reports for Vail Valley Medical Center in Colorado. Never been there though. Hopefully she gets the job! Fingers crossed.
It's a gorgeous area, been through there a few times. In my youth when I lived in Colorado we would ski Breckenridge and Keystone, much cheaper at the time than Vail.

CO1057.jpg

Holy-Cross-Ridge-Photo-1-vs-2.jpg

Vail

Vail-at-dusk-crop.jpg

VCD7440_Jack-AffleckAcrop.jpg

BeaverCreek_Village-at-dusk.jpg

It's a gorgeous area, been through there a few times. In my youth when I lived in Colorado we would ski Breckenridge and Keystone, much cheaper at the time than Vail.

CO1057.jpg

Vail

Vail-at-dusk-crop.jpg

I always thought Vail was the cheaper version of Aspen. Not so huh? It indeed is a beautiful area, and while not a city, at least there is a real town there. Cost of living doesn't seem all that out of sync with the national median except for housing, and the costs there are ungodly as you mentioned.

I have just been tweeting a few celebrities on twitter. I tweeted Mia Farrow and Liam Neeson, and Bill Murray.

CO1057.jpg

Vail

Vail-at-dusk-crop.jpg

I always thought Vail was the cheaper version of Aspen. Not so huh? It indeed is a beautiful area, and while not a city, at least there is a real town there. Cost of living doesn't seem all that out of sync with the national median except for housing, and the costs there are ungodly as you mentioned.
When I was 19 I had a job available to work at Keystone, I never took the job due to the housing costs, I would have had to share a 3 bedroom with 12 people. They did have employee housing but there was a 3 year waiting list. Vail may be cheaper than Aspen but I never skied Aspen either. Aspen and Vail were both major ski draws for the rich and famous, Breckenridge for the typical ski tourist and Keystone was more of a local draw. That whole I-70 section is filled with ski resorts, some very famous, some not so well known.

I just back from urgent care. I have an allergic reaction to some insect bit. Shot of cortisone and taking benadrl now. I'm waiting for my kids to get home from school.

The weather is beautiful and I'm counting the many blessings I have in my life.

Wishing the best of all for all of you.

I just back from urgent care. I have an allergic reaction to some insect bit. Shot of cortisone and taking benadrl now. I'm waiting for my kids to get home from school.

And you don't know what insect? That's a little scary. But glad you're okay.

And you don't know what insect? That's a little scary. But glad you're okay.
No, I don't know the insect. I don't live in a brown recluse spider area, so that's a good thing. The doc told me to keep an eye on it. It has expanded in size since coming back from the clinic.

I think I'll be ok. Thanks for your well wishes, Fox. You're a dear.

Forum List

Back