USMB Coffee Shop IV

The foxes are coming outi n daylight now, so I got a better shot. I took some close ups with my Pentax too, but will have to wait to get the film developed.

Good Morning all !

Today marks the passing of my Mom for one month.
The Time has gone by very quickly, especially when you are very busy with everything that needs to be done and taken care of.
I was rather in a fog for the first 2 weeks but I snapped out of it. It's hard when it has been me and my Mom against the world since my Dad had died when I was 15. :)
I will miss her, but I know some day when it's my time, I will see her and be with her again.

You don't so much, get over it. You just get used to it after a time.

Good Morning all !

The Time has gone by very quickly, especially when you are very busy with everything that needs to be done and taken care of.
I was rather in a fog for the first 2 weeks but I snapped out of it. It's hard when it has been me and my Mom against the world since my Dad had died when I was 15. :)
I will miss her, but I know some day when it's my time, I will see her and be with her again.

All true. And you are wise not to dismiss the grieving process but embrace it and understand it for what it is. My Mom has been gone 33 years and I still miss her. But as time passes grief turns to memory. Sending you a hug across the miles.

Was watching the season finale of NCIS New Orleans and a question came to me granted this is a silly and irrelevant one but still why can't bad guys on these shows worth a dam? There firing automatic weapons with 30 round magazines and can't hit anything I don't expect the bad guys to win but come on at least some of them should know how to aim and shoot. Ok this concludes my pointless and slightly beer induced rant for the night.

But you do understand, if they make these guys super efficient bad guys, then the heroes get killed off and there won't be a next season of NCIS. They have to be practical about these things.

Not really. 70F by 9:30 would be unusually warm for us.
Ah, yes, but that's about as warm as it gets all day for us. Fairbanks gets the 90s, we find 70 to be over-the-top, way-too-hot...

But isn't Fairbanks 350 miles or so north of you as the crow flies? And it is warmer there? Weird.
It's a geological thing. That, and Anchorage is on the water, which tends to moderate the climate. Fairbanks also features daily rain showers (normally) that you can set your watch by. Usually around six in the evening to 10 or 11. They also get thunder and lightening, which is relatively rare in Anchorage.
It seems that every other night I'm awakened by rain pelting the roof. A steady, soaking rain falling at night. I think it's the remnants of the severe thunderstorms plaguing the Midwest.

By the time they march east to the Crotch of the Tri-State area, the danger has been wrung out of them but the rain remains. Such is our little geographic advantage.

I'm quite sure that denizens of our valley would be clueless about how to handle a true drought. High Summers here always feature a 'dry spell' when the lawns turn brown, but a drought of Biblical proportions is unknown in these parts. Mist rises each warm morning from the river and the valleys where creeks and springs flow. The hardwood forests are verdant, except when plagued by an infestation of insects like the notorious gypsy moth or a 17 year locust. There are some underground springs that pour out of the steep ravine sides and I've seen folks armed with gallon jugs gathering unchlorinated drinking water.

Winters can be harsh, as we saw in 2014-15. But this winter passed was amazingly mild and relatively snow free (at least the occurrences of the Big Snows totaling 14, 16, 18 inches at one time). Instead last winter we got six inches at a time every other day for weeks. There are hard facts that must be faced every Winter.

But this Spring has been a head scratcher. It started out warm and pleasant only to devolve into a damp and cool spell that has gone on since late April, or just about the time greenhouses opened up offering annuals and perennials. The only safe purchase at most of the farmstead stores has been asparagus. Buying flowers, especially at the rate I buy flowers, id a fool's game.

Meanwhile Daisy the Mutt will vacuum out my wallet this Saturday as it's time again to have her vaccinated against rabies, distemper and Lyme disease. The vet, who must have a boat payment due this month, also recommends that she have blood drawn to assure the heartworm medicine prescribed is doing its thing.
there is no Obamacare for dogs.

mom is still quarantining us from the Big House as the cat she stole from someone else was spade last week. Mom insists that the cat rest easy for at least another week. Anyway, the cat is doing what a cat supposedly does; sleep 18 hours a day and lounge around in feline luxury.
but the vet is still a lot less expensive than people care, mostly. I only vaccinate my "outside" animals. The cats stay inside and the vet did assure me that as long as they did not mingle with the local ferals, they were probably OK. With the five cats remaining, vet bills cat get pretty pricey. The dogs are kept up because they do go outside and have contact with other dogs. I vaccinate the goats myself. Heartworm and fleas are not a problem around here, thank goodness. I haven't had problems with lice, either. I suppose that's an upside to living in these climes. I sure hope that doesn't change.

Vets must be cheaper where you are. Around here having a cat or dog is equivalent to having a child so far as medical costs go. Those of limited means simply cannot afford it in many cases.

Was watching the season finale of NCIS New Orleans and a question came to me granted this is a silly and irrelevant one but still why can't bad guys on these shows worth a dam? There firing automatic weapons with 30 round magazines and can't hit anything I don't expect the bad guys to win but come on at least some of them should know how to aim and shoot. Ok this concludes my pointless and slightly beer induced rant for the night.

But you do understand, if they make these guys super efficient bad guys, then the heroes get killed off and there won't be a next season of NCIS. They have to be practical about these things.
They don't have to kill them off but come one can at least get wounded every now and then hell I would settle for grazed.

Ah, yes, but that's about as warm as it gets all day for us. Fairbanks gets the 90s, we find 70 to be over-the-top, way-too-hot...

But isn't Fairbanks 350 miles or so north of you as the crow flies? And it is warmer there? Weird.
It's a geological thing. That, and Anchorage is on the water, which tends to moderate the climate. Fairbanks also features daily rain showers (normally) that you can set your watch by. Usually around six in the evening to 10 or 11. They also get thunder and lightening, which is relatively rare in Anchorage.
It seems that every other night I'm awakened by rain pelting the roof. A steady, soaking rain falling at night. I think it's the remnants of the severe thunderstorms plaguing the Midwest.

By the time they march east to the Crotch of the Tri-State area, the danger has been wrung out of them but the rain remains. Such is our little geographic advantage.

I'm quite sure that denizens of our valley would be clueless about how to handle a true drought. High Summers here always feature a 'dry spell' when the lawns turn brown, but a drought of Biblical proportions is unknown in these parts. Mist rises each warm morning from the river and the valleys where creeks and springs flow. The hardwood forests are verdant, except when plagued by an infestation of insects like the notorious gypsy moth or a 17 year locust. There are some underground springs that pour out of the steep ravine sides and I've seen folks armed with gallon jugs gathering unchlorinated drinking water.

Winters can be harsh, as we saw in 2014-15. But this winter passed was amazingly mild and relatively snow free (at least the occurrences of the Big Snows totaling 14, 16, 18 inches at one time). Instead last winter we got six inches at a time every other day for weeks. There are hard facts that must be faced every Winter.

But this Spring has been a head scratcher. It started out warm and pleasant only to devolve into a damp and cool spell that has gone on since late April, or just about the time greenhouses opened up offering annuals and perennials. The only safe purchase at most of the farmstead stores has been asparagus. Buying flowers, especially at the rate I buy flowers, id a fool's game.

Meanwhile Daisy the Mutt will vacuum out my wallet this Saturday as it's time again to have her vaccinated against rabies, distemper and Lyme disease. The vet, who must have a boat payment due this month, also recommends that she have blood drawn to assure the heartworm medicine prescribed is doing its thing.

mom is still quarantining us from the Big House as the cat she stole from someone else was spade last week. Mom insists that the cat rest easy for at least another week. Anyway, the cat is doing what a cat supposedly does; sleep 18 hours a day and lounge around in feline luxury.
but the vet is still a lot less expensive than people care, mostly. I only vaccinate my "outside" animals. The cats stay inside and the vet did assure me that as long as they did not mingle with the local ferals, they were probably OK. With the five cats remaining, vet bills cat get pretty pricey. The dogs are kept up because they do go outside and have contact with other dogs. I vaccinate the goats myself. Heartworm and fleas are not a problem around here, thank goodness. I haven't had problems with lice, either. I suppose that's an upside to living in these climes. I sure hope that doesn't change.

Vets must be cheaper where you are. Around here having a cat or dog is equivalent to having a child so far as medical costs go. Those of limited means simply cannot afford it in many cases.
For an extraordinarily pampered pet like Daisy the Mutt veterinarian's bills are just part of the quotient. Factor in groomers, prescription flea and tick and heartworm medications, and packages of chicken jerky treats exclusively for our walks, Marrowbone dog treats for 'cookies in the cookie blanket', dog shampoo (that costs 13 times what I pay for my shampoo), and the occasional Rachel Ray's Soup Bones dog treats (her favorite) and maybe I should be paying tuition at my alma mater for a daughter instead.

But I think, and everyone she meets agrees, she's worth it.

They don't have to kill them off but come one can at least get wounded every now and then hell I would settle for grazed.

I have an old Microsoft computer game called Rise of Nations that I have played off and on for years and years now. You choose what nation you want to be among a choice of maybe 30 countries, and then you choose how many other countries you want to oppose you up to seven countries--you can let the computer select them or you can choose who you want the others to be.

And then you select the difficulty you want the game to create--on a par with others, be the underdog, or whatever. The easiest game is one in which the other countries are fairly inefficient waging war against you. You can still lose if you really play stupidly, but if you have any tactical skills at all, you'll win pretty much every time.

When I'm just fooling around, I put it on the easiest setting. Maybe NCIS does that too. :)

For an extraordinarily pampered pet like Daisy the Mutt veterinarian's bills are just part of the quotient. Factor in groomers, prescription flea and tick and heartworm medications, and packages of chicken jerky treats exclusively for our walks, Marrowbone dog treats for 'cookies in the cookie blanket', dog shampoo (that costs 13 times what I pay for my shampoo), and the occasional Rachel Ray's Soup Bones dog treats (her favorite) and maybe I should be paying tuition at my alma mater for a daughter instead.

But I think, and everyone she meets agrees, she's worth it.
For farm-folk, vet bills are a necessary evil. Most of my livestock, I handle. Only really bad emergencies can go to the vet, and my vet really hates dealing with livestock other than horses. The LGT, Roxie, lives out with the goats but I am bringing a groomer out later this summer when she starts to molt. Since she hates the truck/car, I had to find someone mobile. Because I've been with this vet since 1988 and have so many critters, they do give me a discount "litter rate". That helps.
I know loads of spoiled dogs like Daisy. She sounds absolutely adorable. Generally well-behaved dogs are OK in my book. I prefer not to be licked, though. None of my dogs like or jump up on people. Roxy is a leaner, though.

Good Morning all !

All true. And you are wise not to dismiss the grieving process but embrace it and understand it for what it is. My Mom has been gone 33 years and I still miss her. But as time passes grief turns to memory. Sending you a hug across the miles.
My parents have both been gone for a long time. I think the greater blow was when my brother (13 months younger than me) died. I still miss his humor, he could get the whole clan guffawing at his stories. But the feeling of loss does pass, hopefully leaving the warm memories.

Still damp and cool here. That's a good thing. I got my stove top cleaned. At some point, something sweet and sugary must have boiled over because when I lifted the range top there was a huge mess of carbonized gunk. It took a putty knife and several applications of EasyOff to get it all scraped off. Today's project will be to get the tanks dumped, clean the kitty boxes and bottle the mead I have ready to cellar.

1 week until cruise time....

Woo Hoo. I really hope you have a great time, Sheila. Our Alaskan cruise is sure among our top tier favorite memories. Are you flying there and cruising back? Or cruising there and flying back? Or cruising both ways?

It's a round trip cruise. Two weeks, we haven't had a two week vacation in our married life, ever.

1 week until cruise time....

Woo Hoo. I really hope you have a great time, Sheila. Our Alaskan cruise is sure among our top tier favorite memories. Are you flying there and cruising back? Or cruising there and flying back? Or cruising both ways?

It's a round trip cruise. Two weeks, we haven't had a two week vacation in our married life, ever.

Have fun. We were gone about 10 days or so but could only afford to cruise one direction. I am soooo jealous. But trust you will give us a full report.

Just for giggles I googled "Bermuda vacations" last night. I found that many of the resorts and hotels offered a fourth night free when you book three. Great!

Then I saw that the hotels and resorts offering this deal cost up to and beyond $400.00 a night. So much for a Bermuda get-away.

I have used up some vacation days so far this year, but I haven't 'vacationed'. I spent them on going to have eye surgery or taking Mom to the doctor.

I used to travel a lot for work. I was an Environmental Engineer and the firms that employed me had Department of Defense clients. I visited Germany and Italy one year looking for hazardous materials on Army bases there. I visited American military installations too. NAS Roosevelt Roads in Cieba, Puerto Rico was a big one as I was there for 18 months. The NUWC (Naval undersea warfare center) in Newport. Rhode Island and the Navy submarine base in New London, Connecticut. There I discovered the charms of New England.

The Philadelphia Naval shipyard where I learned how to properly order a cheesesteak. The Navy base at Quincy, Massachusetts where I learned one should avoid wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day. The Navy installation on New York's Staten Island where I fell in love with the Big Apple.

And a few civilian places like the former US Steel plant in Baytown, Texas where I was schooled in the art of Texas barbeque and how to survive a Gulf of Mexico hurricane (Hurricane Jerry hit me in October of 1989).

I'm now familiar with every east coast city from Boston to Washington, D.C. I know where the best night life is, what foods are unique to each of those towns and what parts of town to avoid.

I have cast my shadow on the Roman Coliseum, spit from the top of the Eiffel Tower (Paris from that vantage point looks like a great big Akron), I have cavorted with locals in St. Wenceslas Square in Prague and drank rum while watching a Christmas parade in San Juan.

If I take a vacation in the future, I think I might go down south. To Wheeling, West Virginia perhaps.

Just for giggles I googled "Bermuda vacations" last night. I found that many of the resorts and hotels offered a fourth night free when you book three. Great!

Then I saw that the hotels and resorts offering this deal cost up to and beyond $400.00 a night. So much for a Bermuda get-away.

I have used up some vacation days so far this year, but I haven't 'vacationed'. I spent them on going to have eye surgery or taking Mom to the doctor.

I used to travel a lot for work. I was an Environmental Engineer and the firms that employed me had Department of Defense clients. I visited Germany and Italy one year looking for hazardous materials on Army bases there. I visited American military installations too. NAS Roosevelt Roads in Cieba, Puerto Rico was a big one as I was there for 18 months. The NUWC (Naval undersea warfare center) in Newport. Rhode Island and the Navy submarine base in New London, Connecticut. There I discovered the charms of New England.

The Philadelphia Naval shipyard where I learned how to properly order a cheesesteak. The Navy base at Quincy, Massachusetts where I learned one should avoid wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day. The Navy installation on New York's Staten Island where I fell in love with the Big Apple.

And a few civilian places like the former US Steel plant in Baytown, Texas where I was schooled in the art of Texas barbeque and how to survive a Gulf of Mexico hurricane (Hurricane Jerry hit me in October of 1989).

I'm now familiar with every east coast city from Boston to Washington, D.C. I know where the best night life is, what foods are unique to each of those towns and what parts of town to avoid.

I have cast my shadow on the Roman Coliseum, spit from the top of the Eiffel Tower (Paris from that vantage point looks like a great big Akron), I have cavorted with locals in St. Wenceslas Square in Prague and drank rum while watching a Christmas parade in San Juan.

If I take a vacation in the future, I think I might go down south. To Wheeling, West Virginia perhaps.

West Virginia and Western Virginia offer almost limitless things to do and places to see if you are into the more rustic or non-urban kinds of scenery and activity. We spent four wonderful months there and still didn't get to do everything we wanted to do.

But I envy you your world travels. Such memories you will never forget. For us the southwest and Midwest has been where we know the people best, where to eat, where to go, what to eat, etc. I still would like to broaden more of those kinds of horizons before I depart planet Earth.

West Virginia and Western Virginia offer almost limitless things to do and places to see if you are into the more rustic or non-urban kinds of scenery and activity. We spent four wonderful months there and still didn't get to do everything we wanted to do.

But I envy you your world travels. Such memories you will never forget. For us the southwest and Midwest has been where we know the people best, where to eat, where to go, what to eat, etc. I still would like to broaden more of those kinds of horizons before I depart planet Earth.
Well, Wheeling is about forty miles away.

I have had the chance to wipe off my list of America's Most Decanent Cities. Las Vegas, New Orleans and Memphis. I spent eight weeks in the Pacific Northwest when a project in Portland Oregon beckoned.

But of all the places I've been, the place where I was both bowled over by natural beauty and felt the most satisfying personal peace has to be in the Adirondack mountains in up state New York. The Lake Placid/Saranac Lake region in Essex County.

The Olympic facilities are fascinating! Mount Van Hovenberg has the bobsled and luge tracks, Whiteface Mountain is where the skiing events were held and the Olympic ice skating and hockey arena smack in the middle of the charming village of Lake Placid.

I was there in 1980 during the Winter Olympics (do you believe in miracles?). I bought some Olympic swag and later convinced a lovely young woman that I participated on the U.S. Olympic bobsled team!

Oh to be 21 again!

Forum List

Back