USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's wedding season and I'm appealing to the fashion sense of Coffee Shoppers.

The question is: waistcoat or no waistcoat?

I have an ivory colored linen suit, which is very comfortable in the Summer season. Should I augment my look with a waistcoat, or should I ditch that idea and stay with the white dress shirt and colorful necktie?

To tell you the truth, I've lost about forty pounds since last November and I'd like to show off a slimmer look. Does a vest hurt or help that effort?
Yes, definitely go with the waistcoat otherwise it looks funny........

rococo-costume-fashion-401.jpg

I have an ivory colored linen suit, which is very comfortable in the Summer season. Should I augment my look with a waistcoat, or should I ditch that idea and stay with the white dress shirt and colorful necktie?

To tell you the truth, I've lost about forty pounds since last November and I'd like to show off a slimmer look. Does a vest hurt or help that effort?

In my opinion, the waistcoat is very slimming. And for a wedding probably in style in your part of the world. Around here they would be considered somewhat retro, but you rarely see anybody dressed up for anything around here, so fashion sense here wouldn't be much help.

upload_2016-5-19_17-51-24.png

I would be quite the dandy! Especially sporting an epee and stockings!

I'm really looking for a place to put my great grandfather's pocket watch. It has a cool gold link chain with the watch on one end and an ivory Scottish Terrior on the other. I'm hoping the chicks will dig it.

In my opinion, the waistcoat is very slimming. And for a wedding probably in style in your part of the world. Around here they would be considered somewhat retro, but you rarely see anybody dressed up for anything around here, so fashion sense here wouldn't be much help.

View attachment 75365
I've been looking for a vest with lapels. Otherwise I think it would be either too Saturday Night Fever or too Col. Sanders.

I'm really looking for a place to put my great grandfather's pocket watch. It has a cool gold link chain with the watch on one end and an ivory Scottish Terrior on the other. I'm hoping the chicks will dig it.
Lombard Silk Vest - Blue

They have multiple styles.

Mens Victorian Vests

Lombard Silk Vest - Blue

Mens Victorian Vests
That's the very site I've been looking at! I could go full Wyatt Earp or Lord Grantham shopping there. Fortunately I'm old looking enough (yeah I used the modifier "looking") and I have a full silver beard so folks might think that I'm eclectic or eccentric. I guess it's 6 to 5 and pick 'em on the attitudes of others.

Lombard Silk Vest - Blue

Mens Victorian Vests
That's the very site I've been looking at! I could go full Wyatt Earp or Lord Grantham shopping there. Fortunately I'm old looking enough (yeah I used the modifier "looking") and I have a full silver beard so folks might think that I'm eclectic or eccentric. I guess it's 6 to 5 and pick 'em on the attitudes of others.
Personally I always go with the natural fabrics, the linens, cottons, silks and wools for a couple of reasons. Linen and cotton both absorb moisture, linen 30% more than cotton, wool wicks the moisture away faster so it's kinda like a natural air conditioner, silks are great for winter because they are warm (silk doesn't "breathe"). Also natural fabrics will burn away from your skin, synthetics burn into your skin and keep burning. The biggest issue I have with their products is most of their stuff is acetate lined another non-breathing fabric, not an issue if you're in an air conditioned space but if you're outside for a while in hot weather..........

Another thing, stay away from the canvas clothes, they may be authentic for the late 1800s but canvas is hot and you will chaff like there's no tomorrow. Wool will do the same if you wear briefs, boxers are best for wool pants.

Lombard Silk Vest - Blue

Mens Victorian Vests
Personally I always go with the natural fabrics, the linens, cottons, silks and wools for a couple of reasons. Linen and cotton both absorb moisture, linen 30% more than cotton, wool wicks the moisture away faster so it's kinda like a natural air conditioner, silks are great for winter because they are warm (silk doesn't "breathe"). Also natural fabrics will burn away from your skin, synthetics burn into your skin and keep burning. The biggest issue I have with their products is most of their stuff is acetate lined another non-breathing fabric, not an issue if you're in an air conditioned space but if you're outside for a while in hot weather..........
I'm hoping that I won't be set on fire, but there is that possibility.

I'm under the impression that their clothing might be more theatrical than practical. Is the quality of their wares good for formal/semi-formal occasions, or is it more suited for light wear by actors?

I'm under the impression that their clothing might be more theatrical than practical. Is the quality of their wares good for formal/semi-formal occasions, or is it more suited for light wear by actors?

They're passable if you're not looking for true authenticity so they're more for those who can't afford the real thing or just don't care. Some will buy their product and replace the lining with a cotton or silk one.

These vendors have more authentic clothing.
Men's Victorian Fashions

http://www.waltontaylor.com/waltontaylorinfo01.html

As for formal the most popular color was black as it could be used to go to a wedding, church, town social or funeral, generally the formal/evening coat was a frock coat. Otherwise normal daily wear for men was a simple vest and a sack or town coat and bowlers (hat style) were the most common with town folk.
Other formal colors were dark browns and navy.

You have to remember gentlemen of position always looked their best when they went out.

Waistcoat? Depends on whether you are a member of the wedding party and what they are wearing. Ivory linen suit...I'd look at a medium blue shirt with an appropriate tie.

Good Morning all !

Today marks the passing of my Mom for one month.
The Time has gone by very quickly, especially when you are very busy with everything that needs to be done and taken care of.
I was rather in a fog for the first 2 weeks but I snapped out of it. It's hard when it has been me and my Mom against the world since my Dad had died when I was 15. :)
I will miss her, but I know some day when it's my time, I will see her and be with her again.

All true. And you are wise not to dismiss the grieving process but embrace it and understand it for what it is. My Mom has been gone 33 years and I still miss her. But as time passes grief turns to memory. Sending you a hug across the miles.
More hugs from here, Angel.
We all deal with a loss a bit differently. I was prepared for my mom's passing in 1972. Her cancer had taken just about all she ever was by the time it finally took her and though I felt profound loss, there was no shock to recover from. My son was a different matter. When my wife called me at work, my mind couldn't or wouldn't wrap around what what she was telling me.
Having a wife and 3 other kids pretty much forced me to keep it together. Still it took me quite a while to see anything of Ben but the grief.
By the time Dad passed, I was 60 and knew he was suffering with his prostate cancer and was almost relieved when he called me the day before he passed and said, "Ernie, I've has a hell of a run, but I'm tired."
Most of y'all know I'm into tattoos. I have one on the inside of my right forearm in memory of my dad. Tuesday, I added a new one for Ben and have my artist working on a design for a 3rd for Mom. Once complete, I'll carry all 3 with me for the rest of my life.
tat_1.jpg

Most excellent news. After a visit with my general practitioner today, he went over my bloodwork with me. He says that while my cholesterol is somewhat high, no fear was warranted. He placed me on a diet and wants to have more bloodwork in three months to check my cholesterol again. Other than that, I came back with a clean bill of health.

Also, I've dropped 14 pounds in the past 2 weeks. Perhaps I'll be able to fit into my armor again!

WTG TK. That's a LOT of weight for 2 weeks. You're doing good.

Most excellent news. After a visit with my general practitioner today, he went over my bloodwork with me. He says that while my cholesterol is somewhat high, no fear was warranted. He placed me on a diet and wants to have more bloodwork in three months to check my cholesterol again. Other than that, I came back with a clean bill of health.

Also, I've dropped 14 pounds in the past 2 weeks. Perhaps I'll be able to fit into my armor again!

I dropped 40 pounds in less than 6 weeks a couple of years back-- that was before I gained all of it back. When I lose weight, I lose it rapidly, but I gain it just as rapidly if I go off diet.

Good Morning all !

Today marks the passing of my Mom for one month.
The Time has gone by very quickly, especially when you are very busy with everything that needs to be done and taken care of.
I was rather in a fog for the first 2 weeks but I snapped out of it. It's hard when it has been me and my Mom against the world since my Dad had died when I was 15. :)
I will miss her, but I know some day when it's my time, I will see her and be with her again.

All true. And you are wise not to dismiss the grieving process but embrace it and understand it for what it is. My Mom has been gone 33 years and I still miss her. But as time passes grief turns to memory. Sending you a hug across the miles.
More hugs from here, Angel.
We all deal with a loss a bit differently. I was prepared for my mom's passing in 1972. Her cancer had taken just about all she ever was by the time it finally took her and though I felt profound loss, there was no shock to recover from. My son was a different matter. When my wife called me at work, my mind couldn't or wouldn't wrap around what what she was telling me.
Having a wife and 3 other kids pretty much forced me to keep it together. Still it took me quite a while to see anything of Ben but the grief.
By the time Dad passed, I was 60 and knew he was suffering with his prostate cancer and was almost relieved when he called me the day before he passed and said, "Ernie, I've has a hell of a run, but I'm tired."
Most of y'all know I'm into tattoos. I have one on the inside of my right forearm in memory of my dad. Tuesday, I added a new one for Ben and have my artist working on a design for a 3rd for Mom. Once complete, I'll carry all 3 with me for the rest of my life.
View attachment 75380

That is really a nice tattoo for you Ernie and your tribute.
I am allergic to the ink so I can't get any. (Bummer)
I knew that Mom was up there in years - she was 90, so I was somewhat prepared for her eventually passing. It was that she sounded so good when she called me on Sat. night and then Monday she was gone. Very sudden. But nice. The lord loved her very much to take her in her sleep. Very few are so lucky. :)

I am coming back to life again and I am fine.
Thank you everybody for your support and understanding.
I love you guys. :biggrin: :smiliehug:

I dropped 40 pounds in less than 6 weeks a couple of years back-- that was before I gained all of it back. When I lose weight, I lose it rapidly, but I gain it just as rapidly if I go off diet.

Yes, a lot of us with the genes conducive to weight gain have experienced that yo yo syndrome. The ultimate key is not to diet but rather to change what we eat, how we prepare it, and in what quantities for life. Once we hit on a healthy lifestyle we can live with, we just do it with a very occasional indulgence just once in awhile. That plus reasonable physical activity should bring our weight down and once it reaches optimum it generally settles in and doesn't change much.

Disclaimer: I know all this and do practice it now and then. But I also do enjoy my popcorn and treats more often than I should be enjoying the popcorn and treats. So I don't always do what I preach and I do weigh more than I should. I'm working on that too.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back