USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just for giggles I googled "Bermuda vacations" last night. I found that many of the resorts and hotels offered a fourth night free when you book three. Great!

Then I saw that the hotels and resorts offering this deal cost up to and beyond $400.00 a night. So much for a Bermuda get-away.

I have used up some vacation days so far this year, but I haven't 'vacationed'. I spent them on going to have eye surgery or taking Mom to the doctor.

I used to travel a lot for work. I was an Environmental Engineer and the firms that employed me had Department of Defense clients. I visited Germany and Italy one year looking for hazardous materials on Army bases there. I visited American military installations too. NAS Roosevelt Roads in Cieba, Puerto Rico was a big one as I was there for 18 months. The NUWC (Naval undersea warfare center) in Newport. Rhode Island and the Navy submarine base in New London, Connecticut. There I discovered the charms of New England.

The Philadelphia Naval shipyard where I learned how to properly order a cheesesteak. The Navy base at Quincy, Massachusetts where I learned one should avoid wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day. The Navy installation on New York's Staten Island where I fell in love with the Big Apple.

And a few civilian places like the former US Steel plant in Baytown, Texas where I was schooled in the art of Texas barbeque and how to survive a Gulf of Mexico hurricane (Hurricane Jerry hit me in October of 1989).

I'm now familiar with every east coast city from Boston to Washington, D.C. I know where the best night life is, what foods are unique to each of those towns and what parts of town to avoid.

I have cast my shadow on the Roman Coliseum, spit from the top of the Eiffel Tower (Paris from that vantage point looks like a great big Akron), I have cavorted with locals in St. Wenceslas Square in Prague and drank rum while watching a Christmas parade in San Juan.

If I take a vacation in the future, I think I might go down south. To Wheeling, West Virginia perhaps.
Been through Wheeling a few times but most of my visits to WV were to Philippi, Greenbrier and Droop Mountain for reenacting, Thurmond to white water raft the New River. Did some camping in a few National Forests there.

Droop Mountain was awesome especially in the morning. The camping area was on top of the mountain, in the morning one would look out and see all the tops of the surrounding mountains rising above a sea of clouds.

Had t-storms move through though we barely had any hit us but it's nice and cool though, perfect temp for reenacting........ :D

Just for giggles I googled "Bermuda vacations" last night. I found that many of the resorts and hotels offered a fourth night free when you book three. Great!

Then I saw that the hotels and resorts offering this deal cost up to and beyond $400.00 a night. So much for a Bermuda get-away.

I have used up some vacation days so far this year, but I haven't 'vacationed'. I spent them on going to have eye surgery or taking Mom to the doctor.

I used to travel a lot for work. I was an Environmental Engineer and the firms that employed me had Department of Defense clients. I visited Germany and Italy one year looking for hazardous materials on Army bases there. I visited American military installations too. NAS Roosevelt Roads in Cieba, Puerto Rico was a big one as I was there for 18 months. The NUWC (Naval undersea warfare center) in Newport. Rhode Island and the Navy submarine base in New London, Connecticut. There I discovered the charms of New England.

The Philadelphia Naval shipyard where I learned how to properly order a cheesesteak. The Navy base at Quincy, Massachusetts where I learned one should avoid wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day. The Navy installation on New York's Staten Island where I fell in love with the Big Apple.

And a few civilian places like the former US Steel plant in Baytown, Texas where I was schooled in the art of Texas barbeque and how to survive a Gulf of Mexico hurricane (Hurricane Jerry hit me in October of 1989).

I'm now familiar with every east coast city from Boston to Washington, D.C. I know where the best night life is, what foods are unique to each of those towns and what parts of town to avoid.

I have cast my shadow on the Roman Coliseum, spit from the top of the Eiffel Tower (Paris from that vantage point looks like a great big Akron), I have cavorted with locals in St. Wenceslas Square in Prague and drank rum while watching a Christmas parade in San Juan.

If I take a vacation in the future, I think I might go down south. To Wheeling, West Virginia perhaps.
Been through Wheeling a few times but most of my visits to WV were to Philippi, Greenbrier and Droop Mountain for reenacting, Thurmond to white water raft the New River. Did some camping in a few National Forests there.

Droop Mountain was awesome especially in the morning. The camping area was on top of the mountain, in the morning one would look out and see all the tops of the surrounding mountains rising above a sea of clouds.

Did you ever do any reenactments at Appomattox? The guys they had interacting with the visitors the day we were there were awesome.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. And Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Gracie's eye surgery and stop smoking project,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

13237819_1591541994490290_7763720263827692770_n.jpg

Did you ever do any reenactments at Appomattox? The guys they had interacting with the visitors the day we were there were awesome.
No never did Appomattox but we did go there once, don't remember any reenactors/living historians being present during my visit.
Did 1st and 2nd Manassas, Chancellorsville, Fredricksburg, the Wilderness, Harpers Ferry, the Valley Campaign, Gettysburg, etc, etc, etc. The biggest one we ever did was the 135th Gettysburg where we had over 42,000 reenactors present, that was less than the number of dead alone on both sides.

No never did Appomattox but we did go there once, don't remember any reenactors/living historians being present during my visit.
Did 1st and 2nd Manassas, Chancellorsville, Fredricksburg, the Wilderness, Harpers Ferry, the Valley Campaign, Gettysburg, etc, etc, etc. The biggest one we ever did was the 135th Gettysburg where we had over 42,000 reenactors present, that was less than the number of dead alone on both sides.

You and Hombre would get along great on that score. He loves touring old battlefields, and we don't miss any on our sojourns around the country.

Good Morning all !

Today marks the passing of my Mom for one month.
The Time has gone by very quickly, especially when you are very busy with everything that needs to be done and taken care of.
I was rather in a fog for the first 2 weeks but I snapped out of it. It's hard when it has been me and my Mom against the world since my Dad had died when I was 15. :)
I will miss her, but I know some day when it's my time, I will see her and be with her again.

All true. And you are wise not to dismiss the grieving process but embrace it and understand it for what it is. My Mom has been gone 33 years and I still miss her. But as time passes grief turns to memory. Sending you a hug across the miles.
More hugs from here, Angel.
We all deal with a loss a bit differently. I was prepared for my mom's passing in 1972. Her cancer had taken just about all she ever was by the time it finally took her and though I felt profound loss, there was no shock to recover from. My son was a different matter. When my wife called me at work, my mind couldn't or wouldn't wrap around what what she was telling me.
Having a wife and 3 other kids pretty much forced me to keep it together. Still it took me quite a while to see anything of Ben but the grief.
By the time Dad passed, I was 60 and knew he was suffering with his prostate cancer and was almost relieved when he called me the day before he passed and said, "Ernie, I've has a hell of a run, but I'm tired."
Most of y'all know I'm into tattoos. I have one on the inside of my right forearm in memory of my dad. Tuesday, I added a new one for Ben and have my artist working on a design for a 3rd for Mom. Once complete, I'll carry all 3 with me for the rest of my life.

Thinking of buying a Nikon coolpics L340 digital camera tomorrow. I was thinking of getting a 32gig scandisk SDHC memory card. Does anyone knowledgeable about digital cameras think this is a good idea?

I only have a very cheap digital camera, and I need better definition and bigger zoom feature for my fox hunting.
The Nikon seems to be all I will need. But maybe there are better buys, and maybe I should buy a bigger SDXC memory card. I don't have any idea how many high definition pictures I can get on a 32 gig card.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Gracie's fur friend Karma,
Mr. And Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Gracie's eye surgery and stop smoking project,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Nosmo's eye surgery,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

13237819_1591541994490290_7763720263827692770_n.jpg
Why oh why are those chickens doing that?

And, a side note, Foxy thank you for your support and prayers, but my eyes are just fine today! If anything, pray for me to find the cash to pay off the doctor's bills!

I've been 'bragging' on my newly restored vision for a couple of weeks now. I narrate road trips by reading billboards that, up until a few weeks ago, were just brightly colored rectangles.

It's wedding season and I'm appealing to the fashion sense of Coffee Shoppers.

The question is: waistcoat or no waistcoat?

I have an ivory colored linen suit, which is very comfortable in the Summer season. Should I augment my look with a waistcoat, or should I ditch that idea and stay with the white dress shirt and colorful necktie?

To tell you the truth, I've lost about forty pounds since last November and I'd like to show off a slimmer look. Does a vest hurt or help that effort?

Thinking of buying a Nikon coolpics L340 digital camera tomorrow. I was thinking of getting a 32gig scandisk SDHC memory card. Does anyone knowledgeable about digital cameras think this is a good idea?

I only have a very cheap digital camera, and I need better definition and bigger zoom feature for my fox hunting.
The Nikon seems to be all I will need. But maybe there are better buys, and maybe I should buy a bigger SDXC memory card. I don't have any idea how many high definition pictures I can get on a 32 gig card.
the camera you mention is a 20.2 mega pixel camera the file size at full resolution, depending on file format is going to be between 4 and 12 megabytes. If we call it 10 Mb, you will be able to store about 3,200 photos on your 32 Gb SDHC card.

the camera you mention is a 20.2 mega pixel camera the file size at full resolution, depending on file format is going to be between 4 and 12 megabytes. If we call it 10 Mb, you will be able to store about 3,200 photos on your 32 Gb SDHC card.

Jesus wept, I thought it would only be a few dozen at most. Since I will download my pics to my computer every time I photo the foxes I will then delete them from the camera. So I will never need more than a tiny fraction of the memory of a 32 gig card. I suppose I might want to use the video feature to capture the foxes feeding, , and I guess that takes more memory. But I am not much of a video person. I am used to composing still pictures.

Thanks for the information.

Jesus wept, I thought it would only be a few dozen at most. Since I will download my pics to my computer every time I photo the foxes I will then delete them from the camera. So I will never need more than a tiny fraction of the memory of a 32 gig card. I suppose I might want to use the video feature to capture the foxes feeding, , and I guess that takes more memory. But I am not much of a video person. I am used to composing still pictures.

The 32 gig card should hold about 8 hours of high resolution video.

Holy bloody hell. I was thinking of minutes.

Well its all academic today, because I have been jumping up and down to the window every couple of minutes from 11 am to 8.30 pm and all I got was a single shot of three cubs who put in a brief appearance. Now the light is gone. Yesterday they came out a couple of times in daylight. I am not sure how many more days I am going to spend at the window, but I figure nature photographers have to spend a lot of time waiting for the perfect shot.

Edit: Groan, they just came out to feed and put on a display of running around, but the light is totally gone.

Last edited:

Holy bloody hell. I was thinking of minutes.
32,000,000,000 bytes it a WHOLE swinging heap of data. Consider that the King James Bible in a MSWord document is under 4,500,000 bytes.

32,000,000,000 bytes it a WHOLE swinging heap of data. Consider that the King James Bible in a MSWord document is under 4,500,000 bytes.

I have been left behind by the advances in technology. I remember working as a radio repair man in the 1980's and the workshop manager wanted us to club together to buy a computer. It had 32 kilobytes of ram and he said, "that's a hell of a lot of memory". In the end we did not buy the computer because it was very expensive.

Most excellent news. After a visit with my general practitioner today, he went over my bloodwork with me. He says that while my cholesterol is somewhat high, no fear was warranted. He placed me on a diet and wants to have more bloodwork in three months to check my cholesterol again. Other than that, I came back with a clean bill of health.

Also, I've dropped 14 pounds in the past 2 weeks. Perhaps I'll be able to fit into my armor again!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back